3 boys assaulted girl before her suicide

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

3 boys assaulted girl before her suicide

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:35 pm

This is pissing me off. Read the article. A girl like that is no more and those idiots get off with a slap. I would try them as adults. I would like some opinions on proper punishment of underage monsters.

http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/3-boys-assaulted-girl-before-her-suicide-reports
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: 3 boys assaulted girl before her suicide

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:41 pm

30 days in juvy, oh noes...

Awful.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby viva la ben on Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:43 pm

Admin wrote:Family board, people.
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:50 pm

viva la ben wrote:
Admin wrote:Family board, people.

What's that for? This is a news story about a crime act.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:23 pm

Sad story.

After drinking Gatorade laced with alcohol,

that's a weird way to say it
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby blackjack68 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:57 pm

If it were my daughter, they'd get more than 30 days. Belee dat.
blackjack68
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dodint on Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:14 pm

meecrofilm wrote:30 days in juvy, oh noes...

Awful.

Don't worry, it's non-consecutive and weekends only. Wouldn't want to take them out of school and ruin their futures or anything really bad.
dodint
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby CBear3 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:45 am

Caveat: Obviously not the girls fault.

But I hope by the time my girls are old enough they've adapted one of the breathalyzers that don't let you start your car so it'll work with cellphones. That might be the best way to keep them sober. I can tell them til I'm blue in the face the pitfalls of parties and alcohol, but god forbid they can't text somebody.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:44 am

it's scary how fast the whole thing went. only took a week for her to get to the point where she wanted to kill herself. it's even scarier to think of the possibility that she was perfectly fine before this happened. if so, this could happen to almost anyone's daughter.

in related news, i'm buying a series of chains and padlocks for my daughter's room.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:19 am

I'm frightened that parents can create young men that are capable of this, saddened that parents create irresponsible and fragile young women, and sickened at a system that is designed to take people's liberty and consistently fails to punish violent offenders.

If my son were in this situation, Juvy on the weekends would be a relief, and if it was my daughter I'd spend the rest of my life teaching her that she can be careful with her associations and not live in fear of men.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby RxBandit66 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:25 am

Sadly, vigilante justice is becoming the only way to put fear into criminals in this country these days. If such justice is carried out in groups, with members of the group providing alibis and covering up for those who carry out the justice, America's weak legal system would not be able to prosecute most of these cases. If criminals can "beat the system" then innocent people can learn to make it work to their advantage, too. Undercut the judges, lawyers, and juries, and hopefully force the system to change or be re-evaluated. When I think of the idea of having a daughter one day, I just thank God for the stand your ground laws.

There was a time when the mob would have dealt with these boys effectively and efficiently.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:27 am

Not sure if serious ... never mind.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:30 am

RxBandit66 wrote:Sadly, vigilante justice is becoming the only way to put fear into criminals in this country these days. If such justice is carried out in groups, with members of the group providing alibis and covering up for those who carry out the justice, America's weak legal system would not be able to prosecute most of these cases. If criminals can "beat the system" then innocent people can learn to make it work to their advantage, too. Undercut the judges, lawyers, and juries, and hopefully force the system to change or be re-evaluated. When I think of the idea of having a daughter one day, I just thank God for the stand your ground laws.

There was a time when the mob would have dealt with these boys effectively and efficiently.

Scary thought.

I hope this opinion doesn't become to widespread.

It's a shame when people lose faith in government law enforcement and the legal system and believe that vigilante justice is the answer.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby llipgh2 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:38 am

I'd like to know why they weren't charged as adults. I know that in certain instances, given the nature of the crime, juveniles can be tried as adults.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:56 am

Yeah if that was my daughter, I can easily see myself going postal and really doing some bad, bad things.

I also have no problem with what RXBandit said. "Juvi" is a frigging joke, and should be restricted to kids under the age of 13 IMO.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RxBandit66 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:31 pm

I wasn't suggesting stockades, guillotines, and torture...although if it were my daughter I'd probably want to do those things. But the offenders need to have something to fear. If there are no consequences, basically it gives perpetrators the OK to do these things. It's unacceptable behavior, and it will continue if criminals can operate with nothing to fear. I'm not a nutcase or anything, but my home is protected with surveillance and guns. I'd of course try to call the police before I took any action against an intruder, but if the cops didn't get there in time or failed to take the necessary steps to ensure my family's safety, then I would.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kaizer on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:33 pm

Triple castration is the answer. No i am not joking.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mad City Mike on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:41 pm

Kaizer wrote:Triple castration is the answer. No i am not joking.

This. And I'm not kidding either.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RxBandit66 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:40 pm

Honestly, if they tried some of these underage rapists, murderers, and school shooters as adults and gave them the death penalty, the message it would send would be palpable. If these three boys hurt another female in their lifetimes, her blood should be on the hands of that judge. Certain things are best removed from society, and if you can't remove those things, then remove those who perpetuate them.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:09 pm

Every once in a while something comes along that makes me reconsider my stance on the death penalty. Rapists should be the first people on the list as eligible for execution.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:11 pm

I don't see the death penalty working as some sort of deterrent working all that well.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:12 pm

I don't think of it as a deterrent, I just don't think people that have ever had the capacity to do that should be allowed to live.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:16 pm

Gaucho wrote:I don't see the death penalty working as some sort of deterrent working all that well.

I kind of agree, but I also think we need to do away with the juvenile justice system, or at least massively reform it. I'm sorry, by the time you are 12 years old, you are fully capable of telling right from wrong and obeying the law.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:22 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:I kind of agree, but I also think we need to do away with the juvenile justice system, or at least massively reform it. I'm sorry, by the time you are 12 years old, you are fully capable of telling right from wrong and obeying the law.

Sort of. They know right from wrong but their brains aren't fully developed and they can't think about the consequences of their actions. That's why teens take so many dangerous risks - they don't think about the possibility of getting hurt and the potential outcomes.

I don't think throwing 12-16 years old in prison or jail with adult criminals would solve anything. You may as well kill them because if they get thrown into that environment, their chances of ever getting out and becoming functioning members of society after being mentored/raped/beaten by adults for a few years is pretty much zero.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:26 pm

Furthermore, throwing as many people in prison as possible isn't really working as an effective deterrent either, it seems.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to NHR