3 boys assaulted girl before her suicide

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 3 boys assaulted girl before her suicide

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:34 pm

Gaucho wrote:Furthermore, throwing as many people in prison as possible isn't really working as an effective deterrent either, it seems.

Bring back Hammurabi's Code!

:slug:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:39 pm

What parents should do is drill these kinds of stories into the minds of their daughters and sons to make sure they understand how life can change in a split second and how dangerous it is out there even when they are with people they trust. Fill their kids with enough self-esteem so that they don't hesitate in face of peer pressure and just tell others to buzz off when they're not comfortable with something.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:38 pm

Sarcastic wrote:What parents should do is drill these kinds of stories into the minds of their daughters and sons to make sure they understand how life can change in a split second and how dangerous it is out there even when they are with people they trust. Fill their kids with enough self-esteem so that they don't hesitate in face of peer pressure and just tell others to buzz off when they're not comfortable with something.

Related, the parents of those boys should feel major shame that they didn't instill better behavior in their sons. If one of my boys did something so asinine, they know that I'd be the one kicking their a**es tile they could no longer walk. Since my boys were raised that way, they have great respect for women. My older son has even told me stories of how he has protected girls at parties.

It's all in the parenting.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Willie Kool on Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:40 pm

Hockeynut! wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:I kind of agree, but I also think we need to do away with the juvenile justice system, or at least massively reform it. I'm sorry, by the time you are 12 years old, you are fully capable of telling right from wrong and obeying the law.

Sort of. They know right from wrong but their brains aren't fully developed and they can't think about the consequences of their actions. That's why teens take so many dangerous risks - they don't think about the possibility of getting hurt and the potential outcomes.

I don't think throwing 12-16 years old in prison or jail with adult criminals would solve anything. You may as well kill them because if they get thrown into that environment, their chances of ever getting out and becoming functioning members of society after being mentored/raped/beaten by adults for a few years is pretty much zero.

Nothing saying they would have to go into general population at 12 years old. Just reform the system so they don't have a get out of jail free card at 21.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RxBandit66 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:18 pm

I don't know, parenting is a huge part of it, but our culture is completely toxic right now. I can remember growing up in the 1980's, watching "The Cosby Show," "Cheers," "Family Ties," all those shows. Even the action shows ("MacGyver" etc) didn't focus so much on the violence aspect. Nowadays, there are shows on that glorify evil instead of good ("Breaking Bad" is only one example), and in popular music, we've gone from Michael Jackson telling us to look in the mirror and improve ourselves, to Miley Cyrus licking a hammer while swinging naked on a large ball.

My point is, we've drifted away, as a society and culture, from every core value and principle this country was founded upon. Much like the Romans before their demise, many people are adrift, brutalizing each other and abusing every substance they can get their hands on. What used to be the middle class is now merely a notch above poverty. I know this post may seem a bit melodramatic, and I wish I were more optimistic, but this doesn't seem to be trending in the right direction.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby skullman80 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:22 pm

Meh I grew up watching alot of "R" Rated movies when I was 10-15, and listening to explicit lyric music, and playing violent video games and all that good stuff and that didn't make me into a bad person. My parents instilled in me good values, made sure I knew what was right from wrong and was fantasy and what was reality. Blaming TV, Video games and music is a lame cop out. If some kid goes out and does something awful because some lyrics in a song told him too that kid had way more problems in the first place.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:27 pm

RxBandit66 wrote:I don't know, parenting is a huge part of it, but our culture is completely toxic right now. I can remember growing up in the 1980's, watching "The Cosby Show," "Cheers," "Family Ties," all those shows. Even the action shows ("MacGyver" etc) didn't focus so much on the violence aspect. Nowadays, there are shows on that glorify evil instead of good ("Breaking Bad" is only one example), and in popular music, we've gone from Michael Jackson telling us to look in the mirror and improve ourselves, to Miley Cyrus licking a hammer while swinging naked on a large ball.

My point is, we've drifted away, as a society and culture, from every core value and principle this country was founded upon. Much like the Romans before their demise, many people are adrift, brutalizing each other and abusing every substance they can get their hands on. What used to be the middle class is now merely a notch above poverty. I know this post may seem a bit melodramatic, and I wish I were more optimistic, but this doesn't seem to be trending in the right direction.

Cheers was a comedy about alcoholics who wasted their lives in a bar. ;) And Breaking Bad was actually given partial credit for the continuing decline in meth use.

Michael Jackson was grabbing his crotch while dancing. Madonna was singing about being Like A Virgin.

The previous generations have always lamented how much more innocent and pure their generation was compared to today. Are things different? Sure. But violent crime rates are at historical lows. Illegal drug use is dropping, etc. etc. As a society, we're actually much less violent than in the past. Forget a TV show glorifying characters, in "the good old days" they glorified real killers like Billy the Kid, Bonnie and Clyde and John Dillinger.

I do think that the decline of the American Family is a bad thing and the fact that even in two parent households, most parents usually have to work does hurt the kids. But I don't see any evidence that society is falling apart, just stories about our past decades removed, so we forget how life really was.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:40 pm

I actually really agree with Willie Kool's point, and I guess that's what I was trying to say. A bunch of young sociopaths know they have a get out of jail free card when they turn 18 or 21. I'm not advocating throwing them into Oz at the age of 13, but there has to be some kind of system where they can transfer into general at a certain age. Some crimes are simply not worthy of being freed at adulthood.

To answer Gaucho's question, of course prison isn't always the answer. I am a strong believer against drug crimes going to prison, in most cases.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to NHR