XXII Olympic Winter Games

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: XXII Olympic Winter Games

Postby newarenanow on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:11 pm

Beer.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:12 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:I love all Olympic events, summer or winter

Race walking?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:13 pm

dodint wrote:That's the definition I'm going with, arbitrary or not. I've gone down this road with motorsport and there isn't an end. Figure Skating/Gymnastics, where the judges are more important than the competitors are not sports. They're athletic fashion shows. They're competitions, games, shows, exhibitions, matches, etc. But they're not sporting events. I guess I'm allowing myself to be sucked into this discussion because I just watched that Harding/Kerrigan 30-for-30 the other day and it really reinforced how I've always felt about judged competitions.

If it's a sport to you, cool. It's a level of athleticism most people can never achieve and I'm not demeaning that, but calling it sporting is dubious at best.

Based on that definition baseball is an athletic event and not a sport since the umpire (or judge if you will) can determine whether something is a strike or not.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:17 pm

You can be a fat slob and be a successful baseball player. I'm still fine with calling baseball, golf, motorsports, etc "sports", but I think they are more cerebral than athletic.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dodint on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:18 pm

That's a stretch. How about diving? Boxing? Football? Hockey? Are there any sports that don't have officials or the human element? If you want to posit that calling balls and strikes is the same as judging artistic and technical merit in a 2 minute ice dance routine then why are we still talking? I concede by attrition, you win the internet.

I'd disqualify baseball because it's the only sport where you can look more bored than your fans while you're playing.
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:22 pm

dodint wrote:That's a stretch. How about diving? Boxing? Football? Hockey? Are there any sports that don't have officials or the human element? If you want to posit that calling balls and strikes is the same as judging artistic and technical merit in a 2 minute ice dance routine then why are we still talking? I concede by attrition, you win the internet.

I'd disqualify baseball because it's the only sport where you can look more bored than your fans while you're playing.

I'm not trying to beat you dude. Lighten up Francis.

I was just curious as to why you don't consider figure skating a sport. I'm always curious as to why people consider or don't consider something a sport. I have my ideals on what I consider a sport and what isn't and they differ from other people. I was just trying to have a conversation and nothing in what I had said was argumentative.

I concede the internet to you or would you like to split it 50/50? :D
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:26 pm

Every organised competitive event involving athleticsim and/or dexterity is a sport to me. Except maybe war.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shoeshine boy on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:26 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:So because it is a judged activity it is therefore not a sport? Is that the definition we are going with?

that's the definition I'm going with. judged activities are competitions not sports, imo. doesn't mean it's not physical and not difficult.
if you want to consider judged activities sports you are absolutely free to, won't bother me one bit and won't make me think any less of you.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:29 pm

shoeshine boy wrote:if you want to consider judged activities sports you are absolutely free to, won't bother me one bit and won't make me think any less of you.

I would hope not lol
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby npv708 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:29 pm

To go the technical route:

From Merriam Websters:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sport
sport noun
: a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other

: sports in general

: a physical activity (such as hunting, fishing, running, swimming, etc.) that is done for enjoyment
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:32 pm

I'll just continue to go that route.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:34 pm

Fishing is a sport, but sex isn't?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:37 pm

columbia wrote:Fishing is a sport, but sex isn't?

Sure it is. I know I always strive to beat my wife to the finish line

Spoiler:
I'm undefeated
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:37 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:I love all Olympic events, summer or winter

Race walking?

Yes. Have you watched that? Actually pretty impressive
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:38 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:Yes. Have you watched that? Actually pretty impressive

The most impressive part of it to me is resisting the urge to break into a run.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dodint on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:47 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:
dodint wrote:That's a stretch. How about diving? Boxing? Football? Hockey? Are there any sports that don't have officials or the human element? If you want to posit that calling balls and strikes is the same as judging artistic and technical merit in a 2 minute ice dance routine then why are we still talking? I concede by attrition, you win the internet.

I'm not trying to beat you dude. Lighten up Francis.

I was just curious as to why you don't consider figure skating a sport. I'm always curious as to why people consider or don't consider something a sport. I have my ideals on what I consider a sport and what isn't and they differ from other people. I was just trying to have a conversation and nothing in what I had said was argumentative.

I concede the internet to you or would you like to split it 50/50? :D

Like I said, I've been down this slippery slope before and would rather just give up than keep going endlessly. Chris Hardwick already won the internet anyway. ;)
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shoeshine boy on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:57 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:Yes. Have you watched that? Actually pretty impressive

The most impressive part of it to me is resisting the urge to break into a run.

I never have the urge to break into a run. :slug:
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby redwill on Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:18 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:

Spoiler:
I'm undefeated

Hahaha.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meow on Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:28 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:

Spoiler:
I'm undefeated

Bazinga
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:06 pm

Is motor racing a sport? Try driving a car at speed. People think things like NASCAR are 'easy' because they're just running around in circles. They have no comprehension of the physicality of going around a corner at 190 mph, balancing on the edge of tire adhesion. The kinesthetic dexterity a racing driver must possess to be even remotely close to the pace is on par with anything expected of a hockey player (for one example). Being a racing driver is like running on a treadmill for 2 hours, except that treadmill happens to be in a sauna. And you'll be expected to be running on stilts, solving complex math problems in your head while having a chat with someone via radio, all while 300 tiny explosions every second create a 140 dBs a foot behind your head. Oh yeah, and several times a minute, you'll be exposed to forces on your body equivalent to having an offensive tackle sit on your chest.

It's an empirical exercise, too. Who is fastest? Who crossed the line first? Those are fixed criteria, the same as "did the puck cross the goal line". The human judgment element comes in meting out penalties, and is actually far less subjective (generally) than determining pass interference or intentional grounding.

dodint wrote:I'd disqualify baseball because it's the only sport where you can look more bored than your fans while you're playing.

:lol:

Best explanation of baseball ever. Except I would add quotes around "playing".
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dodint on Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:13 pm

The catch with motorsports is the rulebook. Is Tudor really a sport when the cars are equalized? I think of that everytime the 911 is pulling away from the 458? The closest motorsports comes to real sport is something like the International Race of Champions where the drivers don't have any real affiliation with the cars, imo. The skill in auto racing is the incredibly difficult ability to do the exact thing at the limit hundreds of times. It's not mashing on the accelerator and being hardcore, it's hitting the apex at speed slightly faster than the other guy every single lap. It's mentally unreal.
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:36 pm

mac5155 wrote:Hockey easily makes Winter >>>> Summer

Hockey is what makes winter <<<< summer. Hockey is disrupted.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:37 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:
dodint wrote:Figure Skating is athletic, but its not a sport.

Is high jump a sport?

How about golf, auto racing, or shot put?

No to all

But to me if you dont influence your opponent or there is subjective scoring its not a sport. I guess that allows for auto racing. I dont like that, bu whatever.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:54 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Is motor racing a sport? Try driving a car at speed. People think things like NASCAR are 'easy' because they're just running around in circles. They have no comprehension of the physicality of going around a corner at 190 mph, balancing on the edge of tire adhesion. The kinesthetic dexterity a racing driver must possess to be even remotely close to the pace is on par with anything expected of a hockey player (for one example). Being a racing driver is like running on a treadmill for 2 hours, except that treadmill happens to be in a sauna. And you'll be expected to be running on stilts, solving complex math problems in your head while having a chat with someone via radio, all while 300 tiny explosions every second create a 140 dBs a foot behind your head. Oh yeah, and several times a minute, you'll be exposed to forces on your body equivalent to having an offensive tackle sit on your chest.

It's an empirical exercise, too. Who is fastest? Who crossed the line first? Those are fixed criteria, the same as "did the puck cross the goal line". The human judgment element comes in meting out penalties, and is actually far less subjective (generally) than determining pass interference or intentional grounding.

Stock car racing is not a sport, in the traditional sense. It's a "motorsport". Something can be physically exhausting or strenuous and not be a traditional "athletic" sport.

To me, it's like comparing apples to iPhones. In baseball, hockey, football, basketball, swimming, golf, etc.. You're relying on your own talents. Your competing with your body being the main tool to the competition. In stock car racing, the car has just as much if not more importance to the person driving. The person has to be just fit enough to withstand the abuse of driving 190+ MPH.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:39 pm

The car can't drive itself any more than a stick can shoot a puck by itself.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR