XXII Olympic Winter Games

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: XXII Olympic Winter Games

Postby count2infinity on Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:34 am

I see it as an issue when journalists are just looking to get a reaction out of people, yes. Everyone that is interested or cares knows that Bode lost his brother, there's no need to keep throwing it in his face after he just won a bronze medal.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby nocera on Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:47 am

Like I said, one question about how he feels and his brother is expected. But don't have four follow ups in an attempt to get a man to break. Thats when it crossed the line
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:21 am

I hope DK gets at least freebies from Starbucks for all the free advertising he provides.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:22 am

it was tacky and wrong, but it's not like miller needs this type of protection from the internet. he's comfortable being a public figure this way. with his wife being mic'd up all day, he knew that if he did well, he was going to be THE story, and his brother was going to be part of it.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby count2infinity on Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:26 am

nocera wrote:Like I said, one question about how he feels and his brother is expected. But don't have four follow ups in an attempt to get a man to break. Thats when it crossed the line

:thumb:
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:49 am

shmenguin wrote:it was tacky and wrong, but it's not like miller needs this type of protection from the internet. he's comfortable being a public figure this way. with his wife being mic'd up all day, he knew that if he did well, he was going to be THE story, and his brother was going to be part of it.

I think everyone is just sick of the tactics used by journalists. It doesn't matter if it was Bode, someone else that's famous, or an average person. Everyone gets subjected to the same unethical treatment. It shouldn't matter if it gets ratings or discussion. At some point a line needs to be drawn or you'll have the news creating stories from nothing, although I wouldn't be surprised if that already happens.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:31 pm

Later that evening, Matt Lauer brought up the brother's death and the custody battle. But it was one question, and framed in such a way that it wasn't baiting him to break. It was more to address his mental focus and resolve to compete.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:36 pm

In light of his impending retirement, U.S. figure skater Jeremy Abbott, he of that nasty spill in the men's short program the other night, had some parting words for his critics, in regard to being labeled a "choker."

I just want to put my middle finger in the air and say a big ‘F-you’ to everyone who has ever said that to me because they’ve never stood in my shoes and they’ve never had to do what I’ve had to do. Nobody has to stand center ice in front of a million people and put an entire career on the line for eight minutes of their life when they’ve been doing it for 20-some years. And if you think that that’s not hard, then you’re a damn idiot.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby redwill on Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:39 pm

Well said. Could be said to critics in any field.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:52 pm

Eismann wrote:When she continued with "when you look to the sky..." I had visions of Jim Gray. The network needs a collective ghost chili enema.

Having consumed jhut bolkia extract, and dealt with the...... consequences....... I can assure that this is a heinous thing to wish on someone.

:oops:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby blackjack68 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:57 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
Eismann wrote:When she continued with "when you look to the sky..." I had visions of Jim Gray. The network needs a collective ghost chili enema.

Having consumed jhut bolkia extract, and dealt with the...... consequences....... I can assure that this is a heinous thing to wish on someone.

C'mon Tif, you're better than that...bhut jolokia.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Eismann on Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:04 pm

blackjack68 wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:

C'mon Tif, you're better than that...bhut jolokia.

Yeah, we'll let that slide. I've never had just the extract - that I'm aware of - but I'm sure it has lasting effects of some kind.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby blackjack68 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:10 pm

No. No extract for me either. The pepper alone is a face (and other body part) melter.

No reason for that much heat.
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:23 pm

meecrofilm wrote:In light of his impending retirement, U.S. figure skater Jeremy Abbott, he of that nasty spill in the men's short program the other night, had some parting words for his critics, in regard to being labeled a "choker."

I just want to put my middle finger in the air and say a big ‘F-you’ to everyone who has ever said that to me because they’ve never stood in my shoes and they’ve never had to do what I’ve had to do. Nobody has to stand center ice in front of a million people and put an entire career on the line for eight minutes of their life when they’ve been doing it for 20-some years. And if you think that that’s not hard, then you’re a damn idiot.

Well except for all the other people who didn't fall twice in their routines. He's a choker.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dodint on Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:26 pm

Yeah. His rant is all fine and dandy, except his peergroup is other figure skaters, not television viewers.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:51 pm

dodint wrote:Yeah. His rant is all fine and dandy, except his peergroup is other figure skaters, not television viewers.

Well then if other skaters want to label him a choker then that's fine. Everyone who won a medal (i.e. better skaters) all had multiple falls in their long program, whereas he skated a clean one -- he wasn't considered a medal favorite, so I don't see what he was choking away to begin with. They're all chokers then, but the most physically gifted ones ended up coming out on top anyways.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:57 pm

You try your best and you get crap hurled at you. Sad.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:59 pm

the reaction shouldn't be "you're out of line because it's hard and you can't do better". it should be, "you people don't know anything about my sport, so shut your dumb faces".
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:07 pm

Gaucho wrote:You try your best and you get crap hurled at you. Sad.

Someone threw poop on the ice? Is that what he tripped over?
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby redwill on Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:13 pm

DelPen wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:In light of his impending retirement, U.S. figure skater Jeremy Abbott, he of that nasty spill in the men's short program the other night, had some parting words for his critics, in regard to being labeled a "choker."

Well except for all the other people who didn't fall twice in their routines.

And DelPen, of course.

Let's see your routine.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Eismann on Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:25 pm

Ice dance over.

Spoiler:
I thought White-Davis deserved the win overall. The first Russia pair had the most dazzling long form today, though.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:29 pm

meow wrote:
Gaucho wrote:You try your best and you get crap hurled at you. Sad.

Someone threw poop on the ice? Is that what he tripped over?

Choking implies the failure to complete what would otherwise be an easy task due to immense pressure. He fell attempting a quad jump, which is the most difficult jump in all of figure skating (and something not all skaters can even do), and again, something that even the medalists fell on in their long programs the following day -- they were just better to begin with, so they had higher scores. Unless he and everyone else hit all their quad jumps in all their competitions leading up to the olympics (which they didn't), you can't label them as choking (which they weren't).
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Juice on Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:33 pm

"choke on this long program"
-Juice
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:48 pm

redwill wrote:
DelPen wrote:

Well except for all the other people who didn't fall twice in their routines.

And DelPen, of course.

Let's see your routine.

So unless you have competed at the same level as an athlete you can't say they choked? :roll:
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:54 pm

You think everyone chokes, to be fair.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR