2014 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2014 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Postby Rocco on Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:49 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:Looks like Rocco has met his match.

I can embed quotes properly most of the time.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:52 pm

NashvilleCat wrote:
Rocco wrote:
NashvilleCat wrote:
Rocco wrote:The Bucs are on Plan I right now.

Plan Ike From Outer Space

I realized after I wrote that post that I ended up on I for Ike. It was unintentional. My point was that Ike was a fall-back plan, and at this point there's a non-zero chance he isn't tendered in the offseason and Pedro gets moved to first.

Pedro to first would be a relief for the season ticket holders on the first base side. It's like watching Peter Lee come in for a slap shot. You could always tell the regulars behind the net because they were preparing to duck when he let go.

I'd hate to move Pedro because he has range, soft hands and a cannon for an arm but if he can't make routine throws with regularity then the Pirates have to bite the bullet and do it this offseason. We know Pedro will miraculously remember how to make those throws once he leaves town but such is life.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ulf on Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:59 pm

BleuLineLady wrote:
ulf wrote:
BleuLineLady wrote:
Ike Davis was a welcome improvement, I applaud management for getting that move done

April 22nd, how about that

He is/was an improvement over Ishikawa. My opinion is consistent on that. Is he playing well enough right now...so far...not really. I was hopeful for more, but we'll see.

My point was hindsight is 20-20. I think right now, we would all rather have Morneau. January, not so much.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ulf on Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:59 pm

We're also ignoring the fact that Morneau had no interest in coming back, but who cares
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BleuLineLady on Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:10 am

Rocco wrote:
NashvilleCat wrote:
Rocco wrote:
NashvilleCat wrote:
Rocco wrote:The Bucs are on Plan I right now.

Plan Ike From Outer Space

I realized after I wrote that post that I ended up on I for Ike. It was unintentional. My point was that Ike was a fall-back plan, and at this point there's a non-zero chance he isn't tendered in the offseason and Pedro gets moved to first.

Pedro to first would be a relief for the season ticket holders on the first base side. It's like watching Peter Lee come in for a slap shot. You could always tell the regulars behind the net because they were preparing to duck when he let go.

I'd hate to move Pedro because he has range, soft hands and a cannon for an arm but if he can't make routine throws with regularity then the Pirates have to bite the bullet and do it this offseason. We know Pedro will miraculously remember how to make those throws once he leaves town but such is life.

All of his other defensive and athletic attributes point to a guy who could be a very good defensively at first. As you said above, he has soft hands, very good with his glove, is athletic in his maneuvering which would hopefully translate to him making some good stretches on the base pad when needed. I dont see any reason why he couldnt excel at 1st base next season. Although...I think the errors at 3rd are only more glaring when Pedro is not hitting home runs. Its not good, but people accept errant throws when he makes up for it offensively. He's under performing offensively so far this year, so the errors look worse in my opinion. If Pedro can turn it up a notch and hit 30+ by the end of the year, I'm okay with throwing errors this year.
BleuLineLady
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BleuLineLady on Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:19 am

ulf wrote:
BleuLineLady wrote:
ulf wrote:
BleuLineLady wrote:
Ike Davis was a welcome improvement, I applaud management for getting that move done

April 22nd, how about that

He is/was an improvement over Ishikawa. My opinion is consistent on that. Is he playing well enough right now...so far...not really. I was hopeful for more, but we'll see.

My point was hindsight is 20-20. I think right now, we would all rather have Morneau. January, not so much.

Again, I would have been fine if they signed him in January or at any time. Asssuming he was interested, which he may not have been. I dont know. Based on what was out there though, in the hypothetical, the 1st basemen market was thin and maybe only Loney in my opinion would have been a more attractive option at that time than Morneau. I know they tried for Loney.
BleuLineLady
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:37 am

Just think how much fun we'll have next year, after they're too cheap to re-sign Martin and Tony Sanchez craps the bed. :pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ville5 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:37 am

There's actually people that think Nutting will foot the bill for Price?
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Dickie Dunn on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:47 am

Just to bring this back to the HR Derby for a moment.... that was a bunch of boring crap that took way too long after the rain delay was over. Take four players from each league, rank them one through four based on their regular season HR totals, and use a bracket system. You could go AL vs. NL all the way though or AL vs. AL and NL vs. NL until the final round. Result in a total of 14 batters at the plate instead of the 20 from the new format from this year. Everyone could get 10 outs (140 total) as opposed to the 7 outs then 10 outs in this year's format for a total of 180 outs.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ulf on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:50 am

ville5 wrote:There's actually people that think Nutting should foot the bill for Price?
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:11 am

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/case ... ken-071414

I remembering reading some article recently about the new Astros management team doing some unorthodox stuff and acting like they're smarter than everyone.

They've pulled their offer on Aiken (the top pick), they're now offering something like $3.5M, the minimum so that they get a compensation pick in the 2015 draft (2nd overall pick)
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:12 am

speaking of the home run derby: chris berman is the worst person on the planet
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IanMoran on Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:33 am

ulf wrote:We're also ignoring the fact that Morneau had no interest in coming back, but who cares

Source? Actually curious / not being a jerk.. never heard anything. IIRC, I thought the Pirates just never offered him anything
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rocco on Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:06 pm

ulf wrote:
ville5 wrote:There's actually people that think Nutting should foot the bill for Price?

I'm the only one who wants it to happen I think and I know it isn't happen. I hope NH gets involved in the bidding just so the Cards have to pay through the nose when they inevitably get him.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ulf on Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:48 pm

IanMoran wrote:
ulf wrote:We're also ignoring the fact that Morneau had no interest in coming back, but who cares

Source? Actually curious / not being a jerk.. never heard anything. IIRC, I thought the Pirates just never offered him anything

I can't find anything at the moment, I could be wrong but I could swear he didn't want to come back. Perhaps it was the other way around, but I thought it was a mutual thing. Either way, this winter I would not have wanted him back for two more years.
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rocco on Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:03 pm

Troy Loney wrote:http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/casey-close-calls-foul-on-astros-and-mlb-in-negotiations-with-no-1-draft-pick-brady-aiken-071414

I remembering reading some article recently about the new Astros management team doing some unorthodox stuff and acting like they're smarter than everyone.

They've pulled their offer on Aiken (the top pick), they're now offering something like $3.5M, the minimum so that they get a compensation pick in the 2015 draft (2nd overall pick)

They're trying to get him to sign for cheap so they can sign a 21st overall pick over slot. If Aiken doesn't sign they don't have his leftover slot bonus to use on their later pick and would possibly lose a draft pick if they signed him. But yeah, it's okay to let teams spend whatever they want on washed up veterans.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Beveridge on Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:22 pm

I can't wrap my head around the nonsense that is draft signing limit.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rocco on Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:32 pm

Beveridge wrote:I can't wrap my head around the nonsense that is draft signing limit.

Bud Selig couldn't bear to see small market teams find a way to be competitive and put an end to it. With any amount of luck this situation will help lead to changes after the 2016 season but I'm skeptical.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ville5 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:10 pm

ulf wrote:

A pitcher that's better than any pitcher in the entire Pirates' organization? Yeah that'd be an asinine move lol.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rocco on Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:31 pm

ville5 wrote:
ulf wrote:

A pitcher that's better than any pitcher in the entire Pirates' organization? Yeah that'd be an asinine move lol.

A pitcher who is gone after 2015.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:45 pm

@shafnutz05

Another important one: Wawa or Sheetz?

I gotta go with Sheetz, because there's more of them around Pittsburgh. Nothing against Wawa, but when I was in Double-A ball in Altoona, Pennsylvania, Sheetz was all they had, so that's all I would eat. You could order a meal while pumping your gas? Why not?

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/new ... z37ZI3nEw4
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:48 pm

Hah. Man, I wish I could have run into Cutch at a Sheetz.

Sheetz has better overall variety and store offerings, but as far as straight hoagies go, Wawa wins in a landslide. Better bread, better ingredients.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:52 pm

I think Cutch is the exact opposite type of person than a Markice Pouncey.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:53 pm

And not nearly as boring as Crosby.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:53 pm

Crankshaft wrote:I think Cutch is the exact opposite type of person than a Markice Pouncey.

Or a Ben Roethlisberger
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR