True Detective - Spoilers Inside

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

True Detective - Spoilers Inside

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:02 pm

Yeah...it needs it's own thread...

PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: True Detective - Spoilers Inside

Postby Gaucho on Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:06 pm

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:06 pm

For continuity:

Kraftster wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
Kraftster wrote:
Spoiler:
I started rewatching last night also. I definitely think that Marty's father-in-law is involved in some way. In episode two, father-in-law comments about "kids these days" and seeing them kids walk around in make up and spikes on their clothes. This is exactly what Marty's daughter looks like in 2012. Same episode is where we see daughter set up her five ken dolls around barbie (which it did strike me how similar that looked to Rust's Old Milwaukee group). She has to be seeing this stuff somewhere, and I wonder if it is when she is with grandpa.

Good stuff. :thumb:

Martin's father-in-law's only other appearance is a brief phone conversation after Maggie moved out, I believe. Moved out to live with her parents, to be precise. Years later, the elder daughter is completely messed up. Creepy.

Ah, good call on that phone call. The more I think about it, the more I think
Spoiler:
that it makes a ton of sense that this cultish activity was going on right under Marty's nose. His speech about inattention and persistent reference to the detective's curse, I think it just fits. I think it would be an unsupported turn if Marty was steering Cohle. He does not have that level of cunning. He is an important foil for Cohle's philosophies, and revealing him as steering Rust's investigation would undercut that to a large extent, I think.

Marty as a foil for Cohle runs pretty deep. He is a narcissist. He has an explanation for all of his errant conduct, and the explanations are usually self-important justifications. Although Cohle is probably not a true nihilist, he certainly emphasizes that there is no purpose to life. He evaluates and analyzes everything, and talks about the importance of introspection (two things come to mind, one instance with the detectives 2012 he says something about knowing what he is after all this time and that means something and early in ep 1 he says to Marty that given how long its taken him to get to where he is he sure isn't going to change on Marty's account). Ultimately he is a much better detective than Marty. It would be quite fitting if Marty's inattention to his home life and the clues being left by his daughter could have cracked the case.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:09 pm

I really like the father in law plots that are being tossed around. It makes a lot of sense. I think for sure one or both of the daughters are dead, maybe even the wife.

How many episodes are there supposed to be?
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:11 pm

Given Gaucho's post, the thread title might also want to mention "teasers." :pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:13 pm

I just can't get over how directly and brilliantly the show confronts the existential dilemma. I have long thought that if I were to ever author something in my lifetime, I would like it to be a fictional story that forces the reader to address the absurdity of life. I cannot imagine a TV show doing a better job of this than True Detective does.

Rust Cohle is an archetype for one who constantly battles the existential dilemma without obtaining any sunny resolution to the same. He cannot seem to wrest a meaningful life from his recognition of the absurdity of life. While he seems to have overcome the dread associated with the absurd, it is only in a very stoic way as opposed to the sort of existential empowerment version of a resolution that one finds in Camus' Myth of Sisyphus, for example. Rather than viewing life as awesome and sweet in the face of the sour that is the absurd, Rust simply goes on because "it is his programming" and he "lacks the constitution for suicide."

Such good stuff.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:15 pm

There's a heavy emotional and spiritual gore aspect to this show, which is very appealing.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:20 pm

columbia wrote:There's a heavy emotional and spiritual gore aspect to this show, which is very appealing.

Definitely. I don't know the horror genre or the Yellow King collection that this was so clearly motivated by, but reading about the "cosmic fear" that these authors tend to focus on as existential horror writers really makes a lot of the show fall into place. You are absolutely correct that there is an indescribable dread that is just sort of there in the show. I think that's the cosmic fear--the recognition of the absurdity of life. There is no greater meaning, no greater purpose. We're here, we live, we die. All according to our "programming." The recent M-Theory discussion just adds to that by suggesting that our lives are all the more tragic if, from a fourth dimension we're just riding the same inescapable roller coaster over and over again with the same monster (death) at the end of the "dream."
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:21 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:I really like the father in law plots that are being tossed around. It makes a lot of sense. I think for sure one or both of the daughters are dead, maybe even the wife.

I thought about that, too, but 2012 seems to be too emotionally stable for that theory to fly.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eddysnake on Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:22 pm

Did anyone notice the billboard with the missing girl and reward again last night? 2nd time they focused in on that. Saw somewhere that it had 1987 dated on it and they only went back to 90 looking at old files.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby eddysnake on Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:25 pm

Kraftster wrote:
columbia wrote:There's a heavy emotional and spiritual gore aspect to this show, which is very appealing.

Definitely. I don't know the horror genre or the Yellow King collection that this was so clearly motivated by, but reading about the "cosmic fear" that these authors tend to focus on as existential horror writers really makes a lot of the show fall into place. You are absolutely correct that there is an indescribable dread that is just sort of there in the show. I think that's the cosmic fear--the recognition of the absurdity of life. There is no greater meaning, no greater purpose. We're here, we live, we die. All according to our "programming." The recent M-Theory discussion just adds to that by suggesting that our lives are all the more tragic if, from a fourth dimension we're just riding the same inescapable roller coaster over and over again with the same monster (death) at the end of the "dream."

go pick up some HP Lovecraft novels. It's an entirely different world of this same strange fear and I'm amazed at the same feelings/nightmares I get from this show and some of his stories. At the Mountains of Madness is one of my favorites.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby roland on Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:31 pm

eddysnake wrote:Did anyone notice the billboard with the missing girl and reward again last night? 2nd time they focused in on that. Saw somewhere that it had 1987 dated on it and they only went back to 90 looking at old files.

roland
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:33 pm

Needless to say, Louisiana is the perfect setting for the show.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:33 pm

Patton Oswalt tweeted this out after Sunday's episode...

Patton Oswalt ‏@pattonoswalt Feb 16
Who spotted the looming yellow crown on tonight's #TrueDetective?

cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:35 pm

Not to mention the crosses alongside it. Hot damn.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:21 pm

i want a 'big hug mug'
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby roland on Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:27 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:i want a 'big hug mug'

Im almost positive there is one at my parents house. I laughed the first time it was shown.

Time to hit ebay and make some scrilla
roland
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby roland on Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:30 pm

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:Patton Oswalt tweeted this out after Sunday's episode...

Patton Oswalt ‏@pattonoswalt Feb 16
Who spotted the looming yellow crown on tonight's #TrueDetective?

I tried to get a better screen grab of the yellow crown. Its the scene where Marty is following the Ledoux's drug contact at the beginning of the episode, shortly before Cohle dumps ginger in the ditch and meets up with Marty

roland
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:31 pm

roland wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:i want a 'big hug mug'

Im almost positive there is one at my parents house. I laughed the first time it was shown.

Time to hit ebay and make some scrilla

10 bucks
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:45 pm

I saw someone interpret the yellow crown behind the truck as the Yellow King having his eyes on Rust, which I can dig.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:04 pm

Reginald Ledoux roughly means The Sweet/Tender/Benign King, if I'm not mistaken. Which probably has no deeper meaning at all. I'm a little wary that the shows tries to be a littler more clever and deeper than it actually is and I admit that I'm not so sure about the overall direction the show is going. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's a good chance I might end up slightly disappointed.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:11 pm

This show watches like a King book reads. If you read Stephen King you know all of his works are connected and he throws things in here and there for, what he calls, the constant reader. Characters cross over, towns, buildings, etc. The Yellow King (much like King's The Crimson King) is like this.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:29 pm

I think I need to rewatch at least the first couple episodes... I wasn't expecting this to go as deep as it seemingly has.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby largegarlic on Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:08 pm

:thumb: on starting a separate thread. You know a show has made it to the big time once it has it's own dedicated thread on LGP.

Anyhow, I read the first three stories in that King in Yellow anthology a couple weeks ago and have been using that, at least partially, to interpret the show. In those stories, there are allusions to the King in Yellow and Carcosa, but the characters making the allusions are potentially crazy, and the descriptions of the King in Yellow are always left rather vague.

Based on that, I don't think there is any specific King in Yellow in True Detective. The whole business about the King in Yellow and Carcosa is supposed to be a stand-in for that vague sense that there is some malevolent force flitting around or under the edges of our reality, but we're never able to completely understand this force or pin it to one specific group or person. Cohle might find some more murderers and generally nasty people, but I don't think this mystery is ever supposed to be solved. It's more as Kraftster said: it's the Sisyphean task of banging your head against the inexplicable, trying to eradicate an unbeatable darkness, and finding the nobility in the attempt.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:36 pm

Seems to me the king in yellow is the author's version on just evil
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to NHR