Rescue has woman apply to adopt her own dog

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Rescue has woman apply to adopt her own dog

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:35 am

Shyster wrote:
tifosi77 wrote:Where's Raffiki page the owner put up on Facebook. Pics of the dog at home with a collar on, and an account of the 6-foot high fence surrounding the backyard.

Lexi Quinn appears to be the actual name of the owner; not sure how 'Rosa Torres' came into the picture, but it's another goofy twist to the story.

According to a letter posted on Karma's Facebook page, they have no idea who Lexi Quinn is and were always dealing with someone named Rosa Torres.

As if this weren't confusing enough.....

The story was just shown on local TV morning news. The owner was interviewed on camera and credited as 'Rosa Torres', and it was the same woman who appears in the pictures on the Facebook page of 'Lexi Quinn' and claims ownership of the dog. Not sure what's going on there, but it's needlessly complicating what is already a pretty hard to follow story.

Fwiw, if you go to the "Where's Raffiki?" Facebook page, you can find 'Lexi Quinn' easy enough.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:39 am

on her facebook page, was she in a relationship with manti te'o by any chance
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dodint on Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:40 am

Zing!
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ulf on Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:47 am

Hockeynut! wrote:
dodint wrote:I lied, I have to comment, because internet.

If dogs are legally deemed property with no rights, charge the rescue with receiving and selling stolen property. If this were a painting the original owner would already have it back.

But was it stolen property? The dog was allowed to run off. If I'm in town and lose my watch, it someone else finds it and keeps it, are they legally required to give it back to me?

Umm yeah
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:49 am

dodint wrote:My opinion on rescues has been documented, therefore, I'll just let this odd situation stand as supporting evidence.

The somewhat bizarre details of this aside, what is your exact problem with people rescuing dogs?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dodint on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:08 am

No problem. My wife and I plan to get into fostering when our lives settle down a bit.

Often, rescue organizations are more about the rescuers than the pets. Skip the pretention and go to your municipal kennel.

This Emily Yoffe piece I read a few years ago made me realize it wasn't just me that was fed up with some rescue organizations. She explains it better than I can.

People who rescue animals can be reluctant to believe anyone deserves the furry creatures. Some rescue groups think potential owners shouldn’t have full-time jobs. Others reject families with children. Some rescuers think apartment dwelling is OK for humans but not for dogs, or object to a cat’s litter box being placed in a basement. Some say no to people who would let a dog run around the fenced backyard “unsupervised,” or allow a cat outside, ever.

I fall into the "full time job" and "unsupervised in the fenced backyard" crowd. So I adopted a $10 pup from a kill shelter in 2007, and somehow she's still alive, healthy, and happy.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby dodint on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:16 am

I should also clarify the backend of my stance. I think it's borderline unethical to perpetuate the puppymill industry by purchasing dogs from breeders. I would like people to adopt a homeless dog first before buying from a breeder. Some people want breed specific dogs and see breed specific rescues as a viable option, but then run into a brick wall during the application process. In my particular case, with Russel Rescue, Inc. After a rescue puts someone through all this frustration, they're likely to go to a breeder who will sell to anybody instead of checking out a real shelter or two. Luckily with the rise of the internet it is easier to find breed specific animals online in shelters, I found mine on Petfinder.com about an hour and a half away. She was worth the ride.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:21 am

I certainly think it's fair to say that the number of shelters that have huge restrictions on adoptions are in the minority. Yes, they want to make sure you're a suitable pet owner, because they don't want that dog coming right back to them, but they also want to get these dogs adopted out to families. I think they do much more good for dogs than bad for them. It's hard to criticize a person in such a position as running a shelter.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby ulf on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:23 am

I'm looking forward to redwills appearance here
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:24 am

I'm looking forward to him just returning.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:25 am

speaking of shelters...

http://triblive.com/news/westmoreland/5 ... z2v6CREuEc

a good majority of these folks seem to be control freaks.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dodint on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:30 am

ulf wrote:I'm looking forward to redwills appearance here

He and I got into this exact same conversation a month ago and we're on common ground. The majority of rescues are reasonable, well meaning people. But the ones that are in it for themselves really blow it for the industry.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:34 am

dodint wrote: blow it for the industry.

I wouldn't necessarily call it an industry.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:37 am

I do think a lot of rescue groups go too far, but it is a "slippery slope" when it comes to adopting out an animal. My dad volunteers at the local Humane Society/shelter as a dog walker. He does it for the exercise, not because he's some crazy animal advocate. He sees 20+ animals a week being surrendered (in a very rural area) and the reasons why they'd being given up are some of the things rescue groups also frown upon. The main reasons why animals are given up seem to be:

1. The family has to move and can't take their pet. That's why shelters/rescue groups are reluctant to give animals to renters.
2. They had a baby and don't have time for the dog.
3. Their kids don't like the dog/the dog doesn't like to play with the kids/their kids are allergic.
4. They can't afford to take care of it (although these people usually just turn the animal loose).

I can't imagine how traumatic it is for the dog to be rescued from a shelter, be taken to a loving home and then returned a few months later because of a preventable reason. They've had some dogs come back 3 times. They're not bad dogs either, they just end up with owners who weren't really committed.
Last edited by Hockeynut! on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:38 am

There are really **** people working in puppy business.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:39 am

Most shelters have just the right amount of qualifications for adoption. Some are way over the top, some don't have enough. Whatcha gonna do? That's life. It's no reason to be anti-rescue shelters in general but it's every reason to be anti-that particular rescue shelter.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:41 am

columbia wrote:There are really **** people working in puppy business.

Absolutely. I really think the majority of those people don't even like dogs. At the local shelter, they've receive 8 poodles in the past 6 months because they were "bred out". One of the poodles had something like 70 puppies but since she couldn't breed any more, the owner just wanted her gone. They were very neglected in terms of grooming/general health too. Disgusting.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby dodint on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:45 am

count2infinity wrote:
dodint wrote: blow it for the industry.

I wouldn't necessarily call it an industry.

That's really splitting a fine hair. What would you call a collection of like minded organizations that provide services in exchange for money?

With $300 adoption fees/barriers to entry, I'm going to go ahead and call a spade a spade. A Not-For-Profit organization can still belong in an industry.

As to your last post, I'm going to adopt from kill shelters and actually save a life. Then complain about pretentions ******* on the internet, because that's why we have an internet. Duh.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:47 am

obviously you and I are on polar opposites of this particular instance, so there's no need to carry on this discussion any further. enjoy ******** and moaning about animal shelters.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:48 am

I can guarantee you that redwill isn't making a dime off of his rescue operation.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:54 am

dodint wrote:I should also clarify the backend of my stance. I think it's borderline unethical to perpetuate the puppymill industry by purchasing dogs from breeders. I would like people to adopt a homeless dog first before buying from a breeder. Some people want breed specific dogs and see breed specific rescues as a viable option, but then run into a brick wall during the application process. In my particular case, with Russel Rescue, Inc. After a rescue puts someone through all this frustration, they're likely to go to a breeder who will sell to anybody instead of checking out a real shelter or two. Luckily with the rise of the internet it is easier to find breed specific animals online in shelters, I found mine on Petfinder.com about an hour and a half away. She was worth the ride.

We encountered a puppy mill when we were looking for our first dog. Truly, and I mean this in all seriousness, it was one of the saddest days of my life. We approached the facility and all the male dogs were outside, in individual pens of about 200 sq ft behind electrified fencing. Stagnant water in the bowls. Go inside, whereupon the operator immediately hands you a 6-week old puppy (which is far too young to be interacting with people bringing in germs and whatnot) - "Here! Love this animal!" - while you look around awkwardly at the other people in the room with equally young pups in their arms. Then you hear the barking from the next room. It's about 10' x 12', and around the perimeter there are pens. They are about three feet long and maybe a foot and a half high. They are stacked three or four deep on top of each other, and they rim the room in a horseshoe pattern. That's where all the females are kept. All the pregnant females. No joke, this operation was working with no less than a dozen litters simultaneously. The guy couldn't identify which dogs where the dam and sire of any of the puppies in the room, or even if they were from different litters. And according to the guy, the actual owner of the facility was recognized by the AKC as a champion breeder.

We left immediately, both of us pretty much wrecked.

Contrast that with the experience we had a month later when we met the breeder from who our friends got their beagle. We were in his living room, surrounded by his off-leash family pets, including the dam and sire of the litter. He breeds two litters a year, from different dams. But the sire of the litter we got our dog from was the same as the one our friends got their dog from six months earlier.... so our dogs are half-brother and -sister. Anyway, we picked our dog (or rather I should say she picked us) and made arrangements to come back the next week to bring her home. When we came back, he gave her a few quick brush ups and her final deworming, then held her up to his face and kissed her on the forehead and - through tears - told her to be a good girl. He looked up and chuckled and said, "I've been doing this for ten years, and that part always gets me." (And as I sit here typing this, I'm getting all teary remembering the moment) So he very much regards his pups as family pets for the 10-12 weeks before they're adopted, not commodities. I can't imagine anyone involved with that first place crying over one of their pups like that.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby count2infinity on Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:01 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Contrast that with the experience we had a month later when we met the breeder from who our friends got their beagle. We were in his living room, surrounded by his off-leash family pets, including the dam and sire of the litter. He breeds two litters a year, from different dams. But the sire of the litter we got our dog from was the same as the one our friends got their dog from six months earlier.... so our dogs are half-brother and -sister. Anyway, we picked our dog (or rather I should say she picked us) and made arrangements to come back the next week to bring her home. When we came back, he gave her a few quick brush ups and her final deworming, then held her up to his face and kissed her on the forehead and - through tears - told her to be a good girl. He looked up and chuckled and said, "I've been doing this for ten years, and that part always gets me." (And as I sit here typing this, I'm getting all teary remembering the moment) So he very much regards his pups as family pets for the 10-12 weeks before they're adopted, not commodities. I can't imagine anyone involved with that first place crying over one of their pups like that.

The shelter that we went to and still donate money and supplies to this day has dogs that are about 50% living at the shelter and 50% living on site. When our pup chose me, and I finally convinced Mrs. c2i to bring him home, the woman that fostered him was very emotional as well when we took him. It's great to know that these people truly care for the dogs compared to the puppy mills that you mentioned.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dodint on Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:23 pm

count2infinity wrote:obviously you and I are on polar opposites of this particular instance, so there's no need to carry on this discussion any further. enjoy ******** and moaning about animal shelters.

I will. You're the one that came into a thread about a Rescue acting poorly just to take the opposite stance, then ride off on your high horse like you gained some moral high ground. I went out of my way to promote adopting from shelters rather than rescues and you've twisted my words to fit whatever perception you chose to perpetuate.

Most rescuers are good, including redwill. Some do more harm than good. I hope people that have a bad experience at rescues don't turn a breeder instead of going to a shelter. I don't think we're that far apart in actuality, but you purposely want to split hairs to argue for arguements sake. Which is fine for this environment because we have nothing better to do but is pretty childish anywhere else.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:28 pm

count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:52 pm

Redwill....PLEASE come back and post your 2 cents....
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR