Rescue has woman apply to adopt her own dog

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Rescue has woman apply to adopt her own dog

Postby relantel on Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:14 pm

Silently following this thread...

Seems unconscionable to me that they would proceed with an adoption after knowing the owner had contacted them. There's got to be some truth out there not yet heard - sure sounds like a snatch-and-grab with the later description of the fence. And if the dog was stolen, there's always the charge of receiving stolen property, for both the shelter and the new owner. If that even applies to dogs.

On a side note, even though Rhodesia is no more, there still is a dog breed named after it. That's kind of cool.

Out this way, we've dealt with cat rescue groups. Basically they are a collection of volunteers who foster animals, with some local presence at PetSmart for 8 animals/store. We ended up with our two older cats that way - they had been together as a pair previously - twice. Each time the prior people gave back after a year. These two are the sweetest cats and have not been a problem in our house now going on two years. Even with adding a 5-week old kitten last May into the mix. All three are fixed, but not declawed. The kitten has adopted our daughter, one of the girls has adopted our son, and the other one has adopted my wife and I, as far as where they gravitate to sleep at night.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:21 pm

Erhmagerd!!!!

;)

The biggest thing you have to remember with ridgebacks is that, because of their breeding, they are extraordinarily independent animals. Some call it hardheaded, but they are more or less all born believing themselves to be Alpha Dogs, natural leaders. Teaching them to be followers requires a degree of consistency in training that most people simply cannot fathom. Too often, the dog is training the owner, but the owner won't realize it for months. (If I have a major criticism of Ms Torres, it is that she does not strike me as the type of person for whom a ridgeback would make a good pet) You get one shot, and one shot only, to correct a bad behavior in a ridgeback. You have to be calm, in control, and dominant (not in a chest thumpy way), at all times if you expect a ridgeback to have any interest in what you have to say.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:22 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Some call it hardheaded, but they are more or less all born believing themselves to be Alpha Dogs, natural leaders. Teaching them to be followers requires a degree of consistency in training that most people simply cannot fathom. Too often, the dog is training the owner, but the owner won't realize it for months. (If I have a major criticism of Ms Torres, it is that she does not strike me as the type of person for whom a ridgeback would make a good pet) You get one shot, and one shot only, to correct a bad behavior in a ridgeback. You have to be calm, in control, and dominant (not in a chest thumpy way), at all times if you expect a ridgeback to have any interest in what you have to say.

You just described daschunds too. :wink:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:24 pm

Yeah, but Daschunds aren't 90-pound lion assassins. :lol:
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dodint on Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:27 pm

Get a Pit Bull, they spend every waking moment seeking your approval. That's why they're so easy to break, sadly.
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:37 pm

the girl im dating wants a bulldog, very badly. thats another blood sport animal.

i dunno, i think dogs are really interesting - they're the best documented evidence of evolution there is. in 10,000ish years we've changed the appearance and tailored the behavior of wolves into pugs and weiner dogs. most dog breeds only date back less than 150 years.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:39 pm

dodint wrote:Get a Pit Bull, they spend every waking moment seeking your approval. That's why they're so easy to break, sadly.

Too true... one of the great misconceptions about the breed. :(
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:41 pm

my counterpoint to that is that for generations pit bulls were selected for breeding based on their natural inclination to attack and kill other smallish moving creatures.

how can you ever be sure it wont revert to that state?
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:44 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:my counterpoint to that is that for generations pit bulls were selected for breeding based on their natural inclination to attack and kill other smallish moving creatures.

Daschunds were bred to hunt badgers.....they're (like any dog who has been properly treated) the sweetest things going......just stubborn.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:46 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:my counterpoint to that is that for generations pit bulls were selected for breeding based on their natural inclination to attack and kill other smallish moving creatures.

The same way that you don't presume your child will grow up to be a serial killer because Jeffery Dahmer was also a human.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby count2infinity on Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:46 pm

i think you're over thinking it. Humans were selected for generations to run animals to the point on exhaustion and then kill the animal when it couldn't muster the strength to move.

Spoiler:
how can you be sure this guy won't revert to running down an endangered antelope and kill it so he can eat it? Ridiculous, I know, but still....

It's all about how you raise the dog.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dodint on Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:49 pm

I didn't posit anything for you to counter. I don't think that anyone disputes that PBs are not approval seeking dogs, which makes them easier to abuse.

Using the term generally, Pit Bulls aren't any more aggressive than other terriers. They're just the ones with the tools (muscular, good jaw for grabbing/holding) that when they do go nutty they have the potential to do more harm than if your Jack Russell does it. JRTs are jerks, but they're fun jerks because they only weigh 15lbs.

You can never be sure any animal won't bite, which is why I protect my dog by keeping her away from other dogs she's not already familiar with and by letting people with small children know there are boundaries before they come in my home. So far, so good.

Lots of Golden Retrievers bite, but they're not perceived that way so it doesn't make the news. The most aggressive dog by some studies is the Dachshund, but nobody cares because they do little damage.
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:05 am

http://triblive.com/neighborhoods/youra ... z2wPucPsmS

Khaos, a mostly brown pit bull named after an energy drink, was shot Sunday by a Harrison police officer who said the dog was attacking him.

The 2-year-old dog survived the gunshots, but a Monroeville veterinarian said it was in a great deal of pain, and it was euthanized at the request of its owners.

This happened north of the city and seems to be picking up steam in the press.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby dodint on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:21 am

I doubt anything will happen. Legally dogs are property with no actual rights so in the eyes of the law it's the same as discharging your weapon into a trashcan. Police intimidation via shooting pets is on the rise because it's getting harder to intimidate people directly thanks to silly stuff like civil rights.

Killing of dogs by police becoming an issue

Cops: "If we have to get a warrant...we’re gonna shoot and kill your dogs"

Lawsuit Charges NYC Cops With Stomping a Parakeet (and Beating Humans) During a Warrantless Raid

I include the parakeet lest you think I'm just some nutty Libertarian and you think all of these incidents are "good shoots". There are also various blogs, youtube videos, and even a Facebook page to document these slain pets.
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:31 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:http://triblive.com/neighborhoods/yourallekiskivalley/yourallekiskivalleymore/5788057-74/dog-officer-khaos#axzz2wPucPsmS

Khaos, a mostly brown pit bull named after an energy drink, was shot Sunday by a Harrison police officer who said the dog was attacking him.

The 2-year-old dog survived the gunshots, but a Monroeville veterinarian said it was in a great deal of pain, and it was euthanized at the request of its owners.

This happened north of the city and seems to be picking up steam in the press.

This is infuriating. How in the world are we already calling this police intimidation? So, the facts seem to be:

1) The deadbeat owners didn't get their beloved dog licensed.

2) The deadbeat owners didn't get their beloved dog a rabies vaccination (horribly irresponsible).

3) The deadbeat owners never seemed to worry about their dog constantly getting loose in a populated area, where it could be hit by a car, picked up, etc.

4) The officer, and I don't really blame him, thought this might have been the roaming dog in question.

5) The dog allegedly bared its teeth and tried to attack the officer.

6) If the owners were even halfway responsible, this wouldn't have happened.

Hensel is upset with the prospects of being charged by police for not having a license and rabies tag for Khaos.

Boo hoo...it's the law, deadbeat.

A bunch of idiots joining this "Justice for Khaos" page, and the family is deflecting their own lack of responsibility by trying to have the officer fired. What a sham.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby skullman80 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:47 am

Yeah.. there is no reason to own a dog and not have it properly licensed and vaccinated etc. A yearly dog license for a fixed male where I live in westmoreland county is like 7$ a year I think. You can get a lifetime license if you have your dog chipped for like 30$ Thats part of your responsibilities as a pet owner. Love, license, take care of your dog(regular vet appointments, vaccinations etc).
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:47 am

shafnutz05 wrote:6) If the owners were even halfway responsible, this wouldn't have happened.

In what way? If the dog had been licensed/vacc'd the cop wouldn't have shot him? The cop wouldn't have mistaken a brown dog for a white one? The cop wouldn't have reported one sequence of events that is contradicted by all the eyewitnesses?

I'm not absolving the owners for failing to get the dog properly situated. But guess what? Dogs get out of their yards. It happens, and when it does it's not always because the owners are irresponsible sh|theads. Sometimes (often?) it is, but in this case it seems the dog in question frequently got out and ran around and then came home. The officer in question couldn't have known that, of course. But the cop is reporting behavior that is apparently totally out of character for the dog he shot.

I've seen too many stories recently like the ones dodint shared, for me to ever give the benefit of the doubt to the cop.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dodint on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:52 am

We don't have dog licenses in my county here. What is the point, other than it being a dog ownership tax? Our dog is chipped, vaccinated, secured, and has her name and phone number on a tag on her collar, but we don't have to prove any of this beyond a rabies tag.

What are the requirements for getting a license in Westmoreland County? Proof of vaccinations? Does the dog have to be altered? Chipped?

Genuinely curious since I'm moving back there eventually.
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:55 am

as previously stated im very afraid of large dogs, especially bloodsport ones, so if i was a neighbor of someone with a pitbull that got lose regularly (as the article says) id definitely call the police too.

i dont think the cops were right to flat out shoot it (unless it was actually attacking him), but the owners of a dangerous animal like that should have had several layers of failsafes to protect their neighborhood from it.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby count2infinity on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:56 am

tifosi77 wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:6) If the owners were even halfway responsible, this wouldn't have happened.

In what way? If the dog had been licensed/vacc'd the cop wouldn't have shot him? The cop wouldn't have mistaken a brown dog for a white one? The cop wouldn't have reported one sequence of events that is contradicted by all the eyewitnesses?

I'm not absolving the owners for failing to get the dog properly situated. But guess what? Dogs get out of their yards. It happens, and when it does it's not always because the owners are irresponsible sh|theads. Sometimes (often?) it is, but in this case it seems the dog in question frequently got out and ran around and then came home. The officer in question couldn't have known that, of course. But the cop is reporting behavior that is apparently totally out of character for the dog he shot.

I've seen too many stories recently like the ones dodint shared, for me to ever give the benefit of the doubt to the cop.

I've seen too many stories of terrible dog owners to give the owners of this dog the benefit of the doubt. "Oh... he's not aggressive at all! That's just the way he plays!" yeah... uh huh.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:56 am

If they were called to scene and it was known that a dog was involved, shouldn't they have been prepared to stun it - if necessary?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dodint on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:57 am

Or, you know, have Dispatch call animal control.
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:58 am

Lots of times those owners are too think-skulled to think their baby is a problem, which is evident by the pictures of the "sweet dog laying with the child" they're posting on their Facebook page.

Westmoreland county requires you pay for the license but no vaccinations or anything are required. My one dog is registered in Fayette county and my other in Westmoreland even though we live in westmoreland (moved about 2.5 years ago). I don't think it's a big deal. They each have lifetime licenses so it's foolish to get another in Westmoreland county when the dog could walk to fayette himself.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:58 am

dodint wrote:We don't have dog licenses in my county here. What is the point, other than it being a dog ownership tax? Our dog is chipped, vaccinated, secured, and has her name and phone number on a tag on her collar, but we don't have to prove any of this beyond a rabies tag.

What are the requirements for getting a license in Westmoreland County? Proof of vaccinations? Does the dog have to be altered? Chipped?

Genuinely curious since I'm moving back there eventually.

each county is different. you'll have to check with the particular county. I know in Centre county you need proof of only certain vaccinations (rabies being one of them) and that's about it.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:59 am

tifosi77 wrote:Sometimes (often?) it is, but in this case it seems the dog in question frequently got out and ran around and then came home. The officer in question couldn't have known that, of course. But the cop is reporting behavior that is apparently totally out of character for the dog he shot.

If the dog frequently got out, don't you think the owners should be even more vigilant in getting their dog licensed and vaccinated? I just get extremely nauseous when I hear the utter sanctimony coming from the owners in this situation. I'm not saying the dog having those two things would have prevented this from happening, but I don't think it would have hurt. It just seems to be another notch in a pattern of very poor ownership here, letting the dog roam free in the streets without any sort of identification. I don't care if it normally returns home, who honestly does that?

As far as the cop reporting behavior that was out of character....I mean, that may have had something to do with the fact he was trying to capture the dog.

There are plenty of valid stories of police brutality to animals, and I am fully aware of them. It just sickens me to see an irresponsible deadbeat immediately cry police brutality and demand justice and all of this other crap, when any mention of their own irresponsibility is met with a shrug. I'm sure they will try and get a settlement out of this too.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR