Students stabbed at Franklin Regional HS

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Students stabbed at Franklin Regional HS

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:23 am

Am I understanding the general point though? The "sissyfication" of America?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:25 am

Rylan wrote:Who cares? A spade is still a spade. A failing student will still know he or she is failing regardless of it being marked an F or a Minimal. Just because it is different than the status quo is the only reason it's being mocked. It's not making things easier on anyone. Its like eating a tomato instead of a tomato.

As much as I would like to think thats true, sometimes people -- even adults -- have no idea they are failing without a direct statement that they are failing, and further need to be informed of the specific measurements or behaviors that are causing them to fail. What is difficult is remediation for someone that is failing; communicating to kids so they understand what an 'F' means and tell them exactly what they can do about it. Hardest part of any job is that form of feedback.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:25 am

Knock out your kids. It works!
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:28 am

Pitt87 wrote:
Rylan wrote:Who cares? A spade is still a spade. A failing student will still know he or she is failing regardless of it being marked an F or a Minimal. Just because it is different than the status quo is the only reason it's being mocked. It's not making things easier on anyone. Its like eating a tomato instead of a tomato.

As much as I would like to think thats true, sometimes people -- even adults -- have no idea they are failing without a direct statement that they are failing, and further need to be informed of the specific measurements or behaviors that are causing them to fail. What is difficult is remediation for someone that is failing; communicating to kids so they understand what an 'F' means and tell them exactly what they can do about it. Hardest part of any job is that form of feedback.

Then regardless of the name of the grade, there is a need for further clarification?

Though most students I knew that were failing was due to apathy towards their grade, so there's that.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:31 am

In terms of grades I think thats another part of the "profile" of these kids - they are usually average to fairly lousy students. Not that they are unintelligent, but they don't perform well in school.

That could be more of the square peg, round hole idea.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MWB on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:32 am

Pitt87 wrote:

That's why we do things like parent conferences, personalized education plans, tutoring, return graded work, develop intervention strategies, and teach different concepts in different ways if it doesn't work the first time.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:39 am

when you guys went through school, do you really think your life path would have been altered if you had some unorthodox grading system?
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hockeynut! on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:43 am

shmenguin wrote:when you guys went through school, do you really think your life path would have been altered if you had some unorthodox grading system?

Well clearly we all would have either become mass murders or pansies who couldn't handle the real world. Duh.
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rylan on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:46 am

Are there any fresh high school grads on the board?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:47 am

shmenguin wrote:when you guys went through school, do you really think your life path would have been altered if you had some unorthodox grading system?

Maybe not completely altered greatly but I avoided classes to best manipulate a high GPA because without a high GPA, you can't get into the schools you want, you won't qualify for as many scholarships/grant money, etc. If that stress wasn't there in high school, I could have used that time to take some classes that I otherwise wouldn't have.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:48 am

Yea I didn't really care about my GPA cause I could beat the snot out of standardized tests. I honestly have no clue what my GPA was. I never looked it up and I was never told.
Last edited by Rylan on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:49 am

Rylan wrote:Are there any fresh high school grads on the board?

I think everyone here is of drinking age.
Admin needs to get some new blood or this place will go the way of the Shakers.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:50 am

Rylan wrote:Yea I didn't really care about my GPA cause I could beat the snot out of standardized tests.

I'm going to assume you still had a decent GPA.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:59 am

Rylan wrote:Are there any fresh high school grads on the board?

Honestly, I think you are probably the closest regular poster. The rest of us are old farts.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:12 am

I knew someone who got something like a 2.5, but got into Hofstra because of his SAT scores.

I'm not sure if that actually answers anything, though.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:06 pm

It really doesn't.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:31 pm

MWB wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

That's why we do things like parent conferences, personalized education plans, tutoring, return graded work, develop intervention strategies, and teach different concepts in different ways if it doesn't work the first time.

Replace the 'we' with 'I' and Im certain you are 100% correct. Not all teachers are as diligent. If they all were, it wouldn't matter the scale or grade system.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby pensfan1989 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:31 pm

I graduated high school in 2008.

The year after I left, they banned the use of red pens for teachers to mark stuff wrong on exams and homework because it was seen as "harmful" to use red.
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:50 pm

pensfan1989 wrote:I graduated high school in 2008.

The year after I left, they banned the use of red pens for teachers to mark stuff wrong on exams and homework because it was seen as "harmful" to use red.

i wonder if that sort of thing is really just to save money on office supplies (when else would you use red?), and they just say that to give off a caring vibe.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:54 pm

Maybe if you wouldn't have cried at your graduation ceremony, they'd still have red pens.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MWB on Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:25 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
MWB wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

Replace the 'we' with 'I' and Im certain you are 100% correct. Not all teachers are as diligent. If they all were, it wouldn't matter the scale or grade system.

This is what every school in the county does. I'm not saying it is what all schools in the country do, but there is plenty of communication that goes on and information about what kids need to do in many cases.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby count2infinity on Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:32 pm

shmenguin wrote:

i wonder if that sort of thing is really just to save money on office supplies (when else would you use red?), and they just say that to give off a caring vibe.

you should read some of the non-sense "research" articles about how harmful marking things wrong in red can be to a child. You need to use green or purple to make it more soothing.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:48 pm

I do like the color purple.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lt. Dish on Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:13 pm

I want to hear from the kid: Why?!

So many take tragic, permanent measures to life's temporary (however painful or tormenting) problems.

And now, being tried as an adult, his life is over, too.
Last edited by Lt. Dish on Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lt. Dish
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:31 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I do like the color purple.

The book or the movie?
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR