Students stabbed at Franklin Regional HS

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Students stabbed at Franklin Regional HS

Postby Factorial on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:05 am

Grunthy wrote:
MWB wrote:
Grunthy wrote:What about report cards with basically smiley faces instead of grades? That is freaking asinine. Don't want a child to feel bad because they failed a course.

If it were true it would be asinine. The scale for some schools has actually gotten more rigorous. 90-100 used to be an A. Where I teach 93-100 is an A. Anything below 70 is failing.

Your school maybe, but more and more schools are getting rid of letter grades. Sorry but its true.

And what are they replacing letter grades with in these schools?

In the 70's in Bethel Park, they replaced A,B,C,D,F with E,G,S,P,F although that has probably been reversed at this point. Is this objectionable to you?
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MWB on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:15 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:My high school gave percents and not grades 15 years ago when I was there. I'm not sure if thats what he means, but I think of that as a grade. 92% might be kind of nebulous, but you can still see where you stack up.

I think there are a lot of parents demanding teachers "give" grades rather than parents demanding their kids "earn" grades. But thats just my anecdotes from a few teacher friends.

We do percentage. I prefer that. It gives an exact score rather than a general score.
I do agree that some parents have given less accountability to kids, but I'm not sure if that has increased over time or if it is just more apparent now.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:18 am

Something is wrong with me this week; this incident and the seriousness, is not affecting me the way other senseless acts of violence do. To say it's the media is too simple.
I hope all recover in body & spirit.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:23 am

My elementary school gave numbers. 1=A, 2=B, 3=C, 4=D, and 5=F.

So Grunthy is right.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:27 am

And on a more serious note, I think people take a handful of highly publicized examples of kids being pampered, paint that with a broad brush that everyone is like that, and make it the rule and not the exception.

I can tell you that kids do experience disappointment.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:29 am

Mr. Colby wrote:I see a lot of parents blindly coming to their child's defense. A lot more "what did you do to my kid?" And a lot less "what the hell did you do son" like my dad used to do to me... and at 26 im not that far removed from kids today.

These parents seem to think their angel can do no wrong

i think this is annoying, particularly because i'm married to a teacher who has to deal with a ton of garbage like this. HOWEVER...if it's a choice between this and how kids grew up in the 50's/60's where parents hung a belt or a wooden spoon on the wall as a constant reminder of what will happen when they act up...i'll take the current culture.

overall, we're a more tolerant and intelligent society than we've ever been. generally, i don't think we should be looking back in time for advice on how to raise children. the feel goodery of modern parenting goes overboard, but people who over-subscribe to that are idiots. if we were in a different era with different standards, they'd just do something else stupid. when you see lousy parenting, it's because the parents are lousy - not because society is lousy.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Factorial on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:32 am

Don't forgot the the razor strop:

Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Factorial on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:34 am

newarenanow wrote:My elementary school gave numbers. 1=A, 2=B, 3=C, 4=D, and 5=F.

So Grunthy is right.

Big deal, a change in the designation of what is considered an A, etc.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:34 am

I cant think of one time my parents used physical intimidation like that to get a point across. I still learned respect and accountability.

I can remember once I got busted at a party w/ alcohol when I was 17. I had to call my dad to come get me. We were all standing around and the cops were there. They were giving breathalyzers and said, "OK who's first" and my dad promptly points and me and goes "him". :lol:
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:35 am

I believe the poster known as NAN was being coy.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:37 am

my high school didn't have a valedictorian because they thought it hurt people's feelings who didn't win. they also regularly gave out achievement awards to bad students simply for showing up to class. this bothered me a lot when i was a kid, but as i get older, i can't imagine a scenario where i'd really give a s***. things like that are supremely unimportant.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:40 am

Factorial wrote:
newarenanow wrote:My elementary school gave numbers. 1=A, 2=B, 3=C, 4=D, and 5=F.

So Grunthy is right.

Big deal, a change in the designation of what is considered an A, etc.

I know, I was kidding.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:43 am

shmenguin wrote:my high school didn't have a valedictorian because they thought it hurt people's feelings who didn't win. they also regularly gave out achievement awards to bad students simply for showing up to class. this bothered me a lot when i was a kid, but as i get older, i can't imagine a scenario where i'd really give a s***. things like that are supremely unimportant.

Pretty sure my valedictorian went to college and lasted a year before he dropped out because he couldnt handle it. At the time it was nice to get those awards but you're right, it doesnt mean jack now.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:58 am

I'm fairly certain there is a direct correlation between being a valedictorian/salutatorian and being much more successful than those who weren't.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:59 am

you know who is really to blame? video games and marilyn manson...
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby Rylan on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:06 am

Lol at some thoughts in here.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Grunthy on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:06 am

Factorial wrote:

So Grunthy is right.

Big deal, a change in the designaion of wha is considered an A, etc.

There are schools starting to use AD-advance, PR proficient, BA basic and MI for minimal. Cause we don't want a kid to know they are failing. God forbid.
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hockeynut! on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:08 am

count2infinity wrote:you know who is really to blame? video games and marilyn manson...

And those dirty, violent movies/ ;)
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MWB on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:10 am

Grunthy wrote:
Factorial wrote:

So Grunthy is right.

Big deal, a change in the designaion of wha is considered an A, etc.

There are schools starting to use AD-advance, PR proficient, BA basic and MI for minimal. Cause we don't want a kid to know they are failing. God forbid.

Are you sure those are just test level designations? It's just semantics anyway.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Hockeynut! on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:10 am

I'm curious how many of the kids who shot up schools/stabbed classmates went to schools where they didn't "grade" the students or played sports where they were always a winner and there were no losers. I might be going out on a limb here, but I'd say, "Zero."
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:11 am

Hockeynut! wrote:I'm curious how many of the kids who shot up schools/stabbed classmates went to schools where they didn't "grade" the students or played sports where they were always a winner and there were no losers. I might be going out on a limb here, but I'd say, "Zero."

easy... it's at least zero and a half.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby Grunthy on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:13 am

MWB wrote:
Grunthy wrote:
Factorial wrote:

So Grunthy is right.

Big deal, a change in the designaion of wha is consi ered an A, etc.

Are you sure those are just test level designations? It's just semantics anyway.

Nope grades. My sister's school might be going to a similar system. Most of her fellow teachers think its stupid.
Grunthy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rylan on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:17 am

Who cares? A spade is still a spade. A failing student will still know he or she is failing regardless of it being marked an F or a Minimal. Just because it is different than the status quo is the only reason it's being mocked. It's not making things easier on anyone. Its like eating a tomato instead of a tomato.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWB on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:18 am

Grunthy wrote:
MWB wrote:
Grunthy wrote:
Factorial wrote:

So Grunthy is right.

Big deal, a change in the designaion of wha is consi ered an A, etc.

Nope grades. My sister's school might be going to a similar system. Most of her fellow teachers think its stupid.

What's the difference? I guess I don't understand what effect this would have. MI vs F? Kids know what each thing means. Certainly not the same as not giving grades. Also, what grade is it?
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:23 am

That has to be one of the silliest complaints I've see on this board.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR