Students stabbed at Franklin Regional HS

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Students stabbed at Franklin Regional HS

Postby dodint on Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:36 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:And now, being tried as an adult, his life is over, too.

That does not phase me at all. It's not like he was functioning at a high level anyway. Either route is going to wreck his ability to make something of himself in life, so keeping him out of commission longer is fine by me. Less chance of him snapping later with a bigger weapon (sword, gun, car, etc) and hurting someone I love. There is no scenario where a violent offender having less accountability makes me feel better.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Factorial on Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:17 am

dodint wrote:
Lt. Dish wrote:And now, being tried as an adult, his life is over, too.

That does not phase me at all. It's not like he was functioning at a high level anyway. Either route is going to wreck his ability to make something of himself in life, so keeping him out of commission longer is fine by me. Less chance of him snapping later with a bigger weapon (sword, gun, car, etc) and hurting someone I love. There is no scenario where a violent offender having less accountability makes me feel better.

What is your cutoff age for trying someone as an adult? Or is it a matter of the crime committed?
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby dodint on Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:06 pm

It's not that easy, but a factor for me is the level of premeditation. A child isn't capable of planning and executing something like this, but a 16 year old knows that it's wrong enough that it takes planning to get it done. That's the line for me. If a 14 year old just snaps and stomps someone to death in gym class the line blurs significantly.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:30 pm

dodint wrote:It's not that easy, but a factor for me is the level of premeditation. A child isn't capable of planning and executing something like this, but a 16 year old knows that it's wrong enough that it takes planning to get it done. That's the line for me. If a 14 year old just snaps and stomps someone to death in gym class the line blurs significantly.

That's actually very well said, and better than I could have put it. This was a coldly calculated attack.

I feel the same way when a group of "teens" attacks some random person in Philly or whatever and severely beats them. It is an absolute joke to try them as juveniles.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:58 pm

I think each case should be handled on an individual basis when children are involved. The age of 16 seems to be arbitrary at best.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Factorial on Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:59 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
dodint wrote:It's not that easy, but a factor for me is the level of premeditation. A child isn't capable of planning and executing something like this, but a 16 year old knows that it's wrong enough that it takes planning to get it done. That's the line for me. If a 14 year old just snaps and stomps someone to death in gym class the line blurs significantly.

That's actually very well said, and better than I could have put it. This was a coldly calculated attack.

I feel the same way when a group of "teens" attacks some random person in Philly or whatever and severely beats them. It is an absolute joke to try them as juveniles.

When your daughter is 16 I think you will be surprised at how young that is.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Crankshaft on Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:21 pm

Factorial wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:

How old are your kids?
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:27 pm

Factorial wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:

I'm not sure how this statement jives with your last post? I mean, I agree that it should be a case-by-case basis. But if my 16 year old daughter joined up with four friends and beat the crap out of someone, I would understand her being tried as an adult.

That being said, the vast majority of those cases tend to involve absent parents, so God willing, I'll never find myself in that situation (knock on wood)
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:36 am

Crankshaft wrote:
Factorial wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:

How old are your kids?

12, 15, and 18.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby redwill on Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:28 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/13/us/kansas-jewish-center-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

So a murderous shooting occurs in Kansas and not a single LGP mention of it?

OMG!!!

It's LGP-media bias! Can only cover Pittsburgh-area knife attacks!!!

I'm just pathetically joking, obviously. It can be a sick, sad world no matter who does or doesn't cover it.
redwill
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meow on Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:29 pm

East-coast bias
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:14 am

meow wrote:East-coast bias

Pittsburgh is more mid-west than east coast.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby CBear3 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:09 am

I love how touchy everybody sounds in that article.
The suspect is a raging anti-Semite, he even attempted a Senate run at one point (spewing his views in a television interview), he shoots up too Jewish facilities, but...

It's too early to call it a hate crime.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:13 am

Sounds like the kid who has the worst wounds is actually doing a lot better. Had his final surgery over the weekend (at least planned on) and he is off the ventilator and talking and actually remember the attack pretty well. Still has a long way to go, but the doctors said he is doing a lot better than they expected. I think there are only 4 more kids still in the hospital.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shoeshine boy on Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:49 am

CBear3 wrote:I love how touchy everybody sounds in that article.
The suspect is a raging anti-Semite, he even attempted a Senate run at one point (spewing his views in a television interview), he shoots up too Jewish facilities, but...

It's too early to call it a hate crime.

didn't he also yell "Heil Hitler!" from the back of the police car? nah, he's full of nothin' but love! :scared:
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:16 pm

Blog post from a former teacher of mine and still current teacher at FRHS

Good is greater than evil.

There is MORE good in the world than there is evil.

I’m positive of that even more now than I was BEFORE all of this. It’s just that evil gets the headlines and the air time.

http://blckngld18.blogspot.com/2014/04/ ... l?spref=tw
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby dodint on Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:08 pm

Totally off the cuff here, but I feel like good is a bursting force, whereas evil is a grinding force. Given a long enough run good will lose out purely by attrition. This has zero religious or political tones, just my gut reaction to snippets like that. Bar stool philosophy.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MWB on Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:06 pm

Good is common and doesn't get ratings. Bad gets great ratings but doesn't occur that often, relatively speaking.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:37 am

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2014/04/ ... g-charges/

Is anyone else following this story?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:49 am

see education thread.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Previous

Return to NHR