A Bones thread - follow along as rel binges pilot to current

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

A Bones thread - follow along as rel binges pilot to current

Postby relantel on Thu May 29, 2014 10:47 am

I was reluctant to create a thread about this - but in searching for old thoughts of others during the time the episodes I am watching may have aired, I began to think it easier to follow if I had created a new thread. This is partially inspired by Chefpatrick871, in a post he made back in 2010 about something near the end of the 5th season that he was all **** about, not wanting to create a new thread. While I am not there yet, presently only up to S4 E25, I figured a central clearinghouse for my thoughts not a bad idea, and once I am caught up, the thread could continue as it runs for the 10th season in the fall.

Although I have already seen season 9, I will be using spoiler tags where any specifics are, so not as to spoil for anyone else. I will repost a previous TV shows thread post about seasons 1 and 2, and have one ready to add for season 3 and most of season 4. I will save comments about season 9 until I get there and watch it again with the full knowledge of the lead into it.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Seasons 1 & 2 thru ep 20

Postby relantel on Thu May 29, 2014 10:49 am

relantel wrote:
count2infinity wrote:I bought a bluray player that has wifi and apps on it (Netflix being one of those apps). I finally broke down and got a netflix account (just streaming). Started watching house of cards. I'm only 2 episodes in and I'm hooked.

We have our master bedroom TV set up this way - Sony blu ray player with built in wifi (though we now use it's Ethernet port since it is in the same room as our router) - actively using Netflix and Hulu Plus depending on the show we are catching up on. I've been working my way through Bones season 2 now. Perhaps unhealthily so... been up past 3 the past two nights blasting my way through. Couldn't sleep the first night, but last night was self inflicted. Think last night was past 4am. Very easy to keep on trucking on Netflix with no commercials.

General Bones:
Spoiler:
I wonder if my reactions to the dance between Booth and Bones in this season (and the way they make each look quite promiscuous in the process) is colored by having seen some 8th season eps and the entire 9th season.

Specific Bones (colored thru S2 E20):
Spoiler:
I really hated the shift from the head of the lab season 1 to the head season 2. Maybe my opinion will change as I watch on, but at least at this point, that hate was sealed when they hooked Booth up with her. Then the opposite when they had Sully in there. Really hated that character - but kind of fitting that Booth told her to go with him and she stayed anyway. Loved the Brit psychiatrist. And I guess I am liking the way they are portraying Bones' father. The tension between Booth and Bones seems building to burst - kind of like Ross and Rachel - where everyone else knows before they do. Yet I get the feeling that it will be dragged out for quite some time longer.

Comment about that last spoiler...
Spoiler:
I was right, it's dragging out for quite some time longer...
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: A Bones thread - follow along as rel binges pilot to cur

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu May 29, 2014 10:52 am

Spoiler:
Did booth die? Just saw he was shot on the preview
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Seasons 3 & 4 thru ep 25

Postby relantel on Thu May 29, 2014 10:57 am

I finished season 3 over the weekend, and got through the two London episodes to open season 4.

So behind the spoiler covers that period. I've since gotten almost through season 4 but I'll save that for another post (actually another spoiler in this one)
Spoiler:
My memory is trying to remember of Brennan and Hodgins buried alive was in season 2 or season 3. They revealed who Hodgins wrote to, but not Bones. I presume it was to Booth.

The prosecutor (Caroline) sets up Booth, requiring for a warrant or something else Booth to kiss Bones under the mistletoe. Instead of a brief peck it's a five-second kiss. Yet they never talk about it.

Had to love a caps season ticket holder being shot to death by Bones after Booth jumped in the way of the bullet intended for Bones fired by that caps fan. A little hokey in the fade out to the next ep on Booth. But it seems to build on how bit by bit they realize how much the other one means to them, yet both are incapable of saying so.

Did not see that ending coming for Dr. Addy.

Some season 4 thoughts under separate bubble, not necessarily in chronological order, building up to the penultimate episode:
Spoiler:
There is a point in season four where Booth's affection for Bones sees a brief surfacing, when he is hopped up on pain-killers when he is down for the count with back pain. And of course Bones doesn't hear it, but the other fill in FBI agent does and says nothing. And ep ends with the other agent walking in on Bones realigning Booth's back, in quite a funny moment.

One of the better episodes of the season (to me) was the hockey based one, which guest-starred Luc Robitaille. And it wasn't even so much for the hockey aspect of it but in the end where Booth isn't allowed to sleep and the two of them are ice-skating, almost as if on a date. This on top of the undercover as a knife-throwing circus act, where Bones eggs Booth on further and further to throw knives closer and closer to her head. All the while, of course while there is a video feed back to the lab so they all can watch.

Another moment seems to be when it is Bones' turn to save Booth from the grave digger, as if their shared experience has come full circle. And in the process, Booth's brother is forced to grow up and sacrifice for his brother (as Booth had sacrificed for him earlier in the season), after being confronted by Bones.

Probably the weirdest thing of season 4 though is the path they throw Angela on. Well until near the end of the season.

S4E25:
Spoiler:
This by far was the strangest episode to date but perhaps one of the best. Seth MacFarlane lends his voice to this episode, but that's not necessarily the strange. It's that Bones realizes she wants a baby. And wants Booth to be the father (through sperm donation). He wrestles with this, and agrees to do it for her. However, it becomes clear that although he wants Bones to have the baby, he figures out through a series of visions of Stewie that he doesn't want her to have the baby if he's not involved, an outburst Bones hears as she's in the interrogation room with him. She realizes something is wrong, putting the visions of Luc Robitaille and Corporal Parker together with this to fear the worst as they rush Booth to the hospital. Here, despite his objections, Booth instructs Bones that if he doesn't make it through surgery, he wants her to use his stuff for her baby. And he wants her to be in the operating room with him.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Thu May 29, 2014 10:57 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:
Spoiler:

Assume this a season 9 question?
Spoiler:
No.... worse.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu May 29, 2014 11:04 am

relantel wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
No.... worse.

Can you elaborate? I don't watch. Just curious
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Season 9 finale

Postby relantel on Thu May 29, 2014 11:28 am

relantel wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
No.... worse.

Can you elaborate? I don't watch. Just curious

Sure.
Spoiler:
Booth uncovers a conspiracy at the highest levels of government, and is set up by three delta force operatives that attack their home. Booth takes two out, but not before getting shot. Bones finishes off the other one, having returned to help after securing their daughter at Max's. It's fortunate she did, as Booth might have died without her. He's rushed to the hospital, Bones not allowed to ride in the ambulance. She comes into the ER, and I think for the first time referred to Booth as "her husband". The episode winds down with Booth in emergency surgery.

but here's the twist:
Spoiler:
The doctor comes out to give an update to Bones and the team, but is told she can't go back to see him. She barrels in anyway, only to be kept out of the recovery room, seeing Booth handcuffed to the bed, and told by the assistant director that Booth shot 3 FBI agents, and Bones is retained for questioning as the season fades out.

So Booth lives - but his career and house are in tatters, with only his love for Bones to keep him strong going into the new season in the fall.

The ep is on hulu, and is worth watching in its entirety. The last sequence is quite intense.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dodint on Thu May 29, 2014 11:33 am

How do you binge a procedural? Doesn't it get repetitive?
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby relantel on Thu May 29, 2014 11:51 am

dodint wrote:How do you binge a procedural? Doesn't it get repetitive?

I don't find it repetitive. My best answer that doesn't involve spoilers would be this:

The long plot is sprinkled in enough, with expositions on the main characters themselves on who they are, along with a fair amount of comedic moments that it keeps each episode interesting. I end up binging because I have to get it all in before the fall, and because I hit moments of long plot that carry over into the next episode so I keep on watching to see the resolution (or lack thereof).
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dodint on Thu May 29, 2014 11:55 am

Interesting. That's kind of the opposite of Law & Order. I love watching a single show, but the long arcs are so faint you can really watch them in almost any order.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby relantel on Thu May 29, 2014 1:24 pm

dodint wrote:Interesting. That's kind of the opposite of Law & Order. I love watching a single show, but the long arcs are so faint you can really watch them in almost any order.

I'd classify the CSIs and even Criminal Minds in with the Law and Order type. SVU has tried to change that up a little this season, but it's a 2 or 3 ep run a best on long plot.

I find it hard to recall an episode of Bones where there wasn't some long plot development. Is it so much one couldn't cherry pick? I guess not but it sure seems like I understand better having seen all that went before it. I'd put Castle in this group too.

Then you have ones where it seems like you can't watch out of order - such as Person of Interest.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Thu May 29, 2014 1:35 pm

I think Criminal Minds is bingable, at least the seasons with Foyet/Reaper and Ian Doyle.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Season 9 aftermath/season 10 preview

Postby relantel on Thu May 29, 2014 3:42 pm

Season 9 aftermath/season 10 preview -
There is a 2 minute video on the page - some clips from the season 9 finale & clips from the actors/creators but be warned of the potential spoilers. This link was tweeted out by the @BONESonFOX account.

Spoiler:
wonder how much of this is bluster meant to drive the frenzy for the fall season and how much is real change. They've always handled the summer in real time before... so presumably Booth has sat in jail for four months. If I recall, he faced a suspension at some point in season 3 or 4 and came back from that. But I could see the writers drawing this fight out over a longer period than simply being resolved in the season premiere. Seems too much a shift to pass it off so quickly.

Oh, and in the fall, Bones will be on THURSDAYS at 8pm now. Musical timeslots. Fortunately, we don't have anything else in that timeslot.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Thu May 29, 2014 8:47 pm

Neat, a shout out. Nothing to add, fell behind with most TV.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Fri May 30, 2014 3:50 pm

My one complaint with the show is they resolve cliffhangers in the time between seasons. They set you up with something huge and when the next season comes along and it's like "You remember that thing from 5 months ago and how we resolved it three months ago and moved on to other stuff?"

TNT has reruns on in order from 12-4 almost every day.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Fri May 30, 2014 3:54 pm

On a scale of 1-10, how hot is bones?
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby relantel on Fri May 30, 2014 4:22 pm

DelPen wrote:My one complaint with the show is they resolve cliffhangers in the time between seasons. They set you up with something huge and when the next season comes along and it's like "You remember that thing from 5 months ago and how we resolved it three months ago and moved on to other stuff?"

TNT has reruns on in order from 12-4 almost every day.

I haven't quite caught up to the TNT eps - although the DVR has it set to record it doesn't keep enough for me to catch up. Not enough space to keep until delete unfortunately.

As for the cliffhangers, Good question. The one fresh in the memory for me was season 4 into 5, and on hindsight I see what you are saying. My mind was putting the cliffhanger in between S4E25 and S4E26, as there seemed to be far less peril in the actual season gap as between those two eps. S5E1 seemed to skip over the detail of how things came back close to normal. The 2 into 3 I recall, with Booth & Bones left at the altar in an awkward position, but don't really recall 1 into 2 and 3 into 4. I haven't finished season 5 yet so all of the rest are unknown to me at this time.

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:On a scale of 1-10, how hot is bones?

As for KTK's question, I'd say 10.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:01 am

DelPen, I get what you are saying now - season 5 into 6 transition in particular, but similar season 6 into 7 although the continuity on the latter seems a bit better.

I'll make a post later today likely with season 5 and season 6 thoughts, as I was able to complete 5 on Friday and 6 yesterday afternoon, in addition to being able to rewatch Season 2 episodes 7-10 while my wife watched them last night. I recalled them being very good the first time, but there were some small details I missed the first time around that I picked up this time. That and being able to share thoughts at the same time was a plus as well.

I thought having gotten to season 7 was a stopping point to slow down and wait for my wife to catch up, but with her almost 5 seasons behind I don't know if I can wait that long.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:09 am

relantel wrote:DelPen, I get what you are saying now - season 5 into 6 transition in particular, but similar season 6 into 7 although the continuity on the latter seems a bit better.

Not sure why there are spoiler tags in a show this old but anyways...

Spoiler:
the transition after Booth loses his memory and then next season pretty much everything is fine. But the transition from Bones on the run was good, she was gone essentially the whole off-season, but I can't racall other season finales that were big cliffhangers except of course this past one which I hope picks up immediately and not after Booth has been in jail for 6 months.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby relantel on Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:21 pm

DelPen wrote:
relantel wrote:DelPen, I get what you are saying now - season 5 into 6 transition in particular, but similar season 6 into 7 although the continuity on the latter seems a bit better.

Spoiler:
the transition after Booth loses his memory and then next season pretty much everything is fine. But the transition from Bones on the run was good, she was gone essentially the whole off-season, but I can't racall other season finales that were big cliffhangers except of course this past one which I hope picks up immediately and not after Booth has been in jail for 6 months.

Only reason I'm putting them in is because I still haven't seen most of season 7 (seen the first 4) and all of season 8. I wasn't planning to pick up real time until after I had caught up myself & rewatched season 9 with the benefit of having seen 1-8. After that point, I'd have no qualms treating this like any other show thread. The other side thought was that if someone wanted to do the same thing they wouldn't be spoiled.

It didn't take long to get hooked on this show. On one hand I am sorry we hadn't been watching all along, but on the other I am sure glad to be able to speed through the season breaks. As for your last,
Spoiler:
I fear they will use the time-gap to reflect time in jail while the team tries to clear him. It's not unreasonable to think it takes time to go to trial etc. but one thinks they would have to deal with the instant aftermath, even if it is through flashbacks, as how much of the S9 finale was done.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:25 pm

I've not forgotten my trek here -- after I got the whole way through, now I am watching with my wife as she is midway through season 7, and find stuff I missed the first time around. Have drafts saved that I'll get to at some point in the near future.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:29 pm

Has there been a Bones Thread and Harmony joke made yet?
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:19 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:Has there been a Bones Thread and Harmony joke made yet?

I don't know what that means
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dagny on Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:06 pm

DelPen wrote:

Spoiler:

Because there are still people that haven't seen every episode, or even any episodes, but may still be interested in the show. They may click on this thread then. I just went through and edited everyone to have spoiler tags, for any spoilers. Please carry on the courtesy. :wink:
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby PensFanInDC on Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:07 pm

relantel wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:Has there been a Bones Thread and Harmony joke made yet?

I don't know what that means

PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to NHR