Dress Shoes

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Dress Shoes

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:45 pm

daily use
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,498
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: The Panda Will Fly Away On A Rainbow

Re: Dress Shoes

Postby meow on Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:49 pm

mac5155 wrote:
Kraftster wrote:I wear brown with as much as possible, even gray sometimes.

Edit: I almost always wear brown with navy. You can go black if the shirt/tie combo is just right.


My wife has it ingrained in my soul that blue and brown is a capital crime

Yo wife is wrong, sir.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,414
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Dress Shoes

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:52 pm

Shyster wrote:I want to say that three eyelets are traditional for bluchers like those. I use the "Shoe Shop Lacing" style on this page:
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm


Isn't that exactly how they are laced in the pic i posted?

By the way i made the purchase. Those shoes are bad ass. The color is "espresso"... i don't have any dark brown pairs, i have a tan and a cordovan/mahogany
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,877
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:33 pm
Location: Born and Raised in Kent Manderville

Re: Dress Shoes

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:53 pm

meow wrote:
mac5155 wrote:
Kraftster wrote:I wear brown with as much as possible, even gray sometimes.

Edit: I almost always wear brown with navy. You can go black if the shirt/tie combo is just right.


My wife has it ingrained in my soul that blue and brown is a capital crime

Yo wife is wrong, sir.


Do you wear blue and black? Blue and black is very dorky-dad if you ask me, unless the blue is very, very dark

Blue and black is a good way to pick out a person who isn't up on the latest styles 8-)
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,877
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:33 pm
Location: Born and Raised in Kent Manderville

Re: Dress Shoes

Postby meow on Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:59 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:
meow wrote:
mac5155 wrote:
Kraftster wrote:I wear brown with as much as possible, even gray sometimes.

Edit: I almost always wear brown with navy. You can go black if the shirt/tie combo is just right.


My wife has it ingrained in my soul that blue and brown is a capital crime

Yo wife is wrong, sir.


Do you wear blue and black? Blue and black is very dorky-dad if you ask me, unless the blue is very, very dark

Blue and black is a good way to pick out a person who isn't up on the latest styles 8-)

What are we talking about? A blue suit with a black shoes? Or a blue shirt with black tie?
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,414
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Dress Shoes

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:13 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:Blue and black is a good way to pick out a person who isn't up on the latest styles 8-)


I think the opposite. Navy suit, black shoes, black knit tie, white semi-spread collar shirt is a very sharp look.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,408
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:31 pm

Re: Dress Shoes

Postby Shyster on Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:19 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:
Shyster wrote:I want to say that three eyelets are traditional for bluchers like those. I use the "Shoe Shop Lacing" style on this page:
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm


Isn't that exactly how they are laced in the pic i posted?

I think so. Except that instead of the blue lace coming out of the top-right eyelet, they have tucked the yellow lace back across so that the ends are hidden inside the shoe.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,443
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: Dress Shoes

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:26 pm

meow wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:
meow wrote:
mac5155 wrote:
Kraftster wrote:I wear brown with as much as possible, even gray sometimes.

Edit: I almost always wear brown with navy. You can go black if the shirt/tie combo is just right.


My wife has it ingrained in my soul that blue and brown is a capital crime

Yo wife is wrong, sir.


Do you wear blue and black? Blue and black is very dorky-dad if you ask me, unless the blue is very, very dark

Blue and black is a good way to pick out a person who isn't up on the latest styles 8-)

What are we talking about? A blue suit with a black shoes? Or a blue shirt with black tie?


Blue pants with black shoes.

I think if you're wearing a very dark navy suit you can look snazzy with a black tie and shoes, but otherwise brown is the color. You can do a lot of different shades of brown too
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,877
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:33 pm
Location: Born and Raised in Kent Manderville

Re: Dress Shoes

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:31 pm

Shyster wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:
Shyster wrote:I want to say that three eyelets are traditional for bluchers like those. I use the "Shoe Shop Lacing" style on this page:
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm


Isn't that exactly how they are laced in the pic i posted?

I think so. Except that instead of the blue lace coming out of the top-right eyelet, they have tucked the yellow lace back across so that the ends are hidden inside the shoe.


You're right it looks like it's actually hidden knot lacing
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,877
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:33 pm
Location: Born and Raised in Kent Manderville

Re: Dress Shoes

Postby Lt. Dish on Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:40 pm

meow wrote:
mac5155 wrote:
Kraftster wrote:I wear brown with as much as possible, even gray sometimes.

Edit: I almost always wear brown with navy. You can go black if the shirt/tie combo is just right.


My wife has it ingrained in my soul that blue and brown is a capital crime

Yo wife is wrong, sir.


INTRUDER ALERT :wink: :

Checking in to concur that navy and brown is :thumb: . In fact, I love most blues and browns together for myself. Many sharp-dressed men I know sport the combo, also.
Lt. Dish
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,431
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm
Location: WIN IT FOR [insert important player here]...let's keep the list short, OK?!

Re: Dress Shoes

Postby Eismann on Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:21 pm

Lt. Dish wrote:INTRUDER ALERT :wink: :


Could. Not. Resist.

Image
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,098
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:14 am
Location: The tundra of human rights

Re: Dress Shoes

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:51 pm

Kraftster wrote:I wear brown with as much as possible, even gray sometimes.

I was going to wear a gray suit for date night some number of years ago and Mrs Tif recoiled in horror when I emerged wearing brown shoes. Then we saw 'Casino Royale' (Daniel Craig) and there is James goddamn Bond himself wearing brown shoes with a gray suit.

Image
(Okay, the image is a collage of his look from 'Skyfall', but the concept's the same.)
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,421
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Dress Shoes

Postby Shyster on Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:08 pm

Hey, a mention of my favorite tie vendor: The Tie Bar. I haven't bought ties anywhere else for years now. That reminds me, I've been meaning to place an order.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,443
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: Dress Shoes

Postby Mr. Colby on Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:14 am

Shyster wrote:Hey, a mention of my favorite tie vendor: The Tie Bar. I haven't bought ties anywhere else for years now. That reminds me, I've been meaning to place an order.


Why did I not know about this website until now? This is genius!
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,877
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:33 pm
Location: Born and Raised in Kent Manderville

Re: Dress Shoes

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:03 am

Yes this tie bar is highly intriguing

Do they do sales periodically?
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,132
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:15 am
Location: Under the Skycoaster

Re: Dress Shoes

Postby ulf on Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:46 am

Did KTK procure a new job or is his firm changing to business formal?
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,314
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:41 pm

Re: Dress Shoes

Postby Factorial on Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:50 am

Does anyone here wear a suit on a daily basis?
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,178
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Gleefully Ignorant

Re: Dress Shoes

Postby columbia on Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:54 am

I don't own a tie.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 49,235
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: Dress Shoes

Postby Pitt87 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:52 am

tifosi77 wrote:
Kraftster wrote:I wear brown with as much as possible, even gray sometimes.

I was going to wear a gray suit for date night some number of years ago and Mrs Tif recoiled in horror when I emerged wearing brown shoes. Then we saw 'Casino Royale' (Daniel Craig) and there is James goddamn Bond himself wearing brown shoes with a gray suit.

Image
(Okay, the image is a collage of his look from 'Skyfall', but the concept's the same.)


Depends on the shoes... Charcoal and brown IMO looks mismatched as a start. If you have really nice, burnished or ornate brown shoes with a nice shine, you can get away with it. Charcoal and tan, however, is a classic look, as is a cambridge (lighter) and brown.

And this picture...cheap clothes look cheap. Absolutely nothing wrong with the outfit here... just don't head out there thinking you look like James Bond in a shirt from Kohl's.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,299
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Dress Shoes

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:56 am

ulf wrote:Did KTK procure a new job or is his firm changing to business formal?


New job
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,132
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:15 am
Location: Under the Skycoaster

Re: Dress Shoes

Postby meow on Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:21 am

Factorial wrote:Does anyone here wear a suit on a daily basis?

I do
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,414
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Dress Shoes

Postby tifosi77 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:33 am

I own four suits, none of which fit me properly.

We watched a re-run of The Layover with Anthony Bourdain where he's in Hong Kong for 48 hours (the first 12 of which he spent sleeping off his 20-hour journey). One of the things he does is have a bespoke suit made. Between that and the Top Gear special in Vietnam where they have bespoke silk suits made overnight for like $50, I realize that I'm really missing the boat on the tailored look.

When we were shopping for our wedding stuff, I found an Armani tux at Nordstrom Rack for like $700. It only needed some basic alterations to fit me properly, but we thought it was way too expensive. But despite the fact that I have not had call to wear a tux since October 28, 2007, both Mrs Tif and I regret not buying that tux.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,421
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer

Re: Dress Shoes

Postby ulf on Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:52 am

KennyTheKangaroo wrote:
ulf wrote:Did KTK procure a new job or is his firm changing to business formal?


New job

Congrats. Stay in public?
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,314
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:41 pm

Re: Dress Shoes

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:01 am

Factorial wrote:Does anyone here wear a suit on a daily basis?


All day every day
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,498
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: The Panda Will Fly Away On A Rainbow

Re: Dress Shoes

Postby skullman80 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:41 am

I couldn't imagine wearing a suit every day to work. I didn't even wear a suit/tux to my own wedding. Funerals are about the only thing that can get me in a full suit.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,018
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ajh2298, JS©, stopper40 and 3 guests


e-mail