Dress Shoes

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Dress Shoes

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:23 am

Clarks Olaf looks and sounds like my kind of show.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:27 am

I'm all cole haan. Rocking the tucker Venetian today. They aren't the dressiest but have unsurpassed comfort
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby eddysnake on Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:38 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:I'm all cole haan. Rocking the tucker Venetian today. They aren't the dressiest but have unsurpassed comfort

Same, I probably will not buy another brand after owning these. I wear them everywhere for just about every occasion.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:51 am

I think I got my most recent black dress shoes from Bass, couldn't be happier so far.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:52 am

My dad ran Thom McAn shoe stores from the early 70s until they went under in the mid 90s. I have several really nice pairs from the 70s and 80s that I've had resoled a few times.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:25 am

shafnutz05 wrote:I think I got my most recent black dress shoes from Bass, couldn't be happier so far.

I got a pair from them on sale at their store near Peddlers Village that I really liked. They lasted for over a year. I need to get a new pair, but haven't been in that area recently.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens9192 on Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:11 pm

I have one pair of black loafers and one pair of brown loafers for everyday work shoes. Both were $30 at Target and I like them very much. I also have a brown and black pair of Dockers Oxfords for more formal events like weddings, interviews, etc.
pens9192
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shyster on Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:25 pm

I wear Florsheims. I have wide feet and Florsheim makes wide widths. I know they will fit me, so I really haven't looked at anything else. I rotate through four pairs: (1) black wingtip oxfords; (2) brown cap-toe oxfords; (3) black bit loafer; (4) cordovan strap loafer. All of them have been resoled multiple times by Northway Shoes & Repair on McKnight Road. I also have a pair of buck saddle shoes I wear in the summer.

A pet peeve of mine is the misuse of the word "oxford" to refer to bluchers/derbies. They aren't the same thing:
http://effortlessgent.com/all-in-the-de ... es-part-3/
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shyster on Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:30 pm

dodint wrote:I've had something itching at the back of my mind for a while. Is there any use for the high gloss dress shoes I used in the military now that I'm out? I have them in oxford and a pair of chukka that I only wore once.

Do you mean patent-leather glossy? If so, they would be fine to wear them with a tuxedo.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby OutofFoil on Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:04 pm

Anyone seen the new Cole Haan Zero Grand? I'm not so sure that'll catch on.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:26 pm

Kraftster wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:Right now i have a pair of dark brown John Varvatos wing tip oxfords that are amazing, a light brown pair of steve madden wing tip oxfords that i got for $29, and a pair of black loafers with a strap that are like from aldo or something.

I'm looking to step up my black shoes pretty soon here.

Suggestions? The allen edmonds are amazing but i'm not a fan of spending more than about $150 on shoes (though the varvatos ran me around 180)

I like Cole Haan for the ~$150 price point. They might run you a little more than that.

Honestly, though, the AE Park Avenue black are such a classy look and mine have lasted forever. Going on almost 6 years. I could stand to have them re-soled soon, but I bet I get 10 years out of them in the end. Like I said, though, I don't see them as an everyday shoe, so that obviously helps for lifespan. If you get 10 years, $350 is nothing.

Don't get me wrong i love a nice shoe, but i generally use online discount sites and pick up high end shoes when they become discounted (on gilt, ruelala, hautelook, factory store websites)
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby BuckintheLou on Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:25 am

Shyster wrote:
dodint wrote:I've had something itching at the back of my mind for a while. Is there any use for the high gloss dress shoes I used in the military now that I'm out? I have them in oxford and a pair of chukka that I only wore once.

Do you mean patent-leather glossy? If so, they would be fine to wear them with a tuxedo.

The chukka boots may be utilized around the house (i.e., grass cutting, outside painting, changing oil, etc.) but I'd say the corfams would be better suited as a donation to Goodwill or something like that.
BuckintheLou
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Shyster on Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:55 pm

OutofFoil wrote:Anyone seen the new Cole Haan Zero Grand? I'm not so sure that'll catch on.

No, no, nope, no way, no how. I only buy dress shoes with leather soles, anyway. I've found leather soles to last longer than rubber soles, and I think they're easier to get re-soled.

How many of you use cedar shoe trees? I think they're key to getting long life out of dress shoes. The leather absorbs moisture from your feet and softens as you wear the shoes. Shoe trees absorb that moisture and push the leather back out to where it supposed to be after you take the shoes off. They also help kill any odors. I have dress shoes that are more than 5 years old, and they don't smell like anything other then leather and shoe polish.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby OutofFoil on Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:02 pm

Mr. Colby,

I see you frequent some of the designer deal sites. Have you had any experience with Antonio Maurizi shoes commonly found on Myhabit? I ordered a pair, got them and was not impressed...

I sent them back and got a pair of Barney's 5 eye wingtip blutchers that look really nice and got for under $100. Get them Friday and am quite interested to see the quality in person.
OutofFoil
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Depends. I might be here, but I could be there. Hard to tell sometimes.

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:19 pm

i am intrigued by these cole haan zero grand shoes
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:27 pm

I remember seeing Cole Haan shoes at Littles with Nike Air pockets in them. Those kind of look like the Nike Free shoes (though I don't think Nike owns the brand any longer).
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:34 pm

i have 2 pairs of cole haans with the nike air thing
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:43 pm

Shyster wrote:
OutofFoil wrote:Anyone seen the new Cole Haan Zero Grand? I'm not so sure that'll catch on.

No, no, nope, no way, no how. I only buy dress shoes with leather soles, anyway. I've found leather soles to last longer than rubber soles, and I think they're easier to get re-soled.

How many of you use cedar shoe trees? I think they're key to getting long life out of dress shoes. The leather absorbs moisture from your feet and softens as you wear the shoes. Shoe trees absorb that moisture and push the leather back out to where it supposed to be after you take the shoes off. They also help kill any odors. I have dress shoes that are more than 5 years old, and they don't smell like anything other then leather and shoe polish.

Of course I use cedar shoe trees. What am I, some sort of a Neanderthal?
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mac5155 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:16 pm

Payless all day baby
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dodint on Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:46 pm

BuckintheLou wrote:
Shyster wrote:

The chukka boots may be utilized around the house (i.e., grass cutting, outside painting, changing oil, etc.) but I'd say the corfams would be better suited as a donation to Goodwill or something like that.

These are the corframs, I'm probably going to throw them away next time I come across them. They've got enough wear and storage dings that I couldn't wear them in uniform, let alone anywhere else:

Spoiler:

The chukka boots I bought specifically for my wedding and never wore them again. I wear a 14 dress shoe, so in the box they take up some prime real estate in the closet, but I don't want to part with them. Wish I could find a use for them in civilian attire.

Spoiler:

They would be horrifically bad for grass cutting, etc. ;) I still have my combat boots that I wear riding the motorcycle or when knocking down brush or something, I assume that's what you were picturing.

I have a pair of Bostonions I wear with suits and more formal stuff, and some other brown oxfords I wear around the office.
dodint
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Shyster on Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:22 pm

meow wrote:Of course I use cedar shoe trees. What am I, some sort of a Neanderthal?

Trivia: The Neanderthals became extinct precisely because they didn't use cedar shoe trees.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:59 pm

What brands of nice dress shoes come in a size 14 wide?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Willie Kool on Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:08 pm

mac5155 wrote:What brands of nice dress shoes come in a size 14 wide?

Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitt87 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:43 pm

I have three pair of Cole Haan shoes that I love:

- Cordovan Air Madison -- The best shoes I've ever owned. Wear well with a grey suit, khaki's, or jeans. Wearing them right now.
- Tan Lenox Hill Split -- Everyone is running around with ornate tan wingtips, and I'm over here like "i like my shoes plain!" I have a Tissot watch that was my Dad's that I replaced with a new tan band to match these shoes. Again, great with everything I own.
- Black Caldwell -- Classic black cap toe. I rarely where black, so the trees tend to stay in these most of the time.
- Tan Venetian loafer (in desperate need of a shine!)
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Shyster on Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:23 pm

Willie Kool wrote:
mac5155 wrote:What brands of nice dress shoes come in a size 14 wide?

Spoiler:

Do sports cars come with tiny, skinny tires? Do race cars have skinny little bicycle tires? No, they use big, wide tires, which gives them more grip. Big feet are high-performance feet. :P
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to NHR