Official 2014 Fantasy Football Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official 2014 Fantasy Football Thread

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:25 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:i would say nothing is certain until training camps break and the hype trains start rolling

True, maybe last year was a bit of a fluke, you can also add bernard on to that list from 2nd round of the 2013 draft. 2012 had guys like isiah pead, ronnie hillman and isiah pead in the 2nd round.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IanMoran on Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:29 pm

Sankey is certainly the best rookie to draft for next season. Just from a dynasty perspective, Watkins / Evans look like potential studs.. I actually have cooks ahead of Sankey as welll. Last year, Sankey likely would have been taken behind bell, Bernard, ball, lacy, and Michael in NFL draft.. This year he's starting to enter convo of 1 overall in ff just because of situation, which scares me

I think if you really want to look for next year, see what you can get for number 1. I'm fully behind the Watkins hype train though, so I'm probably biased
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kraftster on Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:46 pm

Troy Loney wrote:I think Sankey is the way to go. RB is as much about circumstance as talent, a 2nd round RB taken and given the job has a much higher probability of success than a first round receiver. Last year with Bell, Lacey and Ball turning into high value players within a year. Although Watkins and Evans look more like AJ Green and Julio Jones than Cordarelle Patterson and Darious Heyward Bey. Is it a certainty that Sankey-Watkins-Evans go 1,2,3?

I would guess its pretty certain. I think you could see Cooks slip in there perhaps just because of the hype I think he'll have/continue having.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:47 pm

I'd love to trade down to 1.03 if the 1.03 guy loves Sankey. Getting Cooks+Evans/Watkins and picking up another later pick somewhere would be an easy decision.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IanMoran on Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:16 pm

The first pick I have in my rookie draft next week is the 12th... less exciting. My team already featured Brees, Lynch, Fitzgerald, and Vjax.... so why not triple down and trade all the picks I accumulated for Forte :) ... So yea, definitely in win-now mode.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kraftster on Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:41 pm

Officially got the 1st overall in the rookie only draft in my big league. I think I'm going to try to trade back to #3. The guy there has a boatload of picks in the first two rounds. Move back there, take who is left out of Sankey, Evans, Watkins and move on. Its possible that there could be a good bit of interest in #1 if RBs are in need. Sankey is the only realistic option for production next year.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:30 pm

So, logistically, help me figure this out...

- Fantasy football auction league ($200 cap), 8 teams, been the same setup for 8 or 9 years.
- Teams get together, bid on players and then before Week 1 we have to sign them to a 1, 2 or 3 year deal for whatever money we bid them up to.
- After any contract expires, you can re-sign any player to a one-year extension at double the rate. As much as you want.
- Cutting players counts half against the cap for the duration of the contract.
- All rule changes are discussed at the draft and voted on and take effect the following season...even if you want to change safeties from 2 to 3, it has to wait a year.

So, obviously our draft is coming up (two weeks or so) and the commish wants to expand the league to 10 teams. Now, that has been discussed in the past but nothing really came of it. He's trying to push for two friends (mutual friends, no big deal) to join...this year.

For me personally, I once was the cock of the walk in this league (mainly because I had the whole Colts offense)...when that petered out, so did I...finally, I cleared out my garbage and I project (pending re-signings) to have the most cap space left coming into the draft and a chance to really improve the team around good players (Luck $17, Le'veon Bell $7, Pierre Garcon $4, are those pieces that are starters). This was a three-year plan, this being year three. Inserting $400 in free cap space, seriously upsets my plans of world domination. That's the selfish part. The unselfish part is, I don't want to stop the progress of the league...but having $140 in cap space with a starting QB, RB2 and WR2 was pretty sweet...

Is there any means to processing this expansion without just saying, "ok, $200 for you, $200 for you, carry on..." That seems overly-simplistic...but is that the best choice...? Any thoughts? I thought about asking for a compliance buyout (a cap-penalty-free release), but does it benefit me that much? My worst contracts are: Christian Ponder for $3 (1 more year), Hakeem Nicks for $13 (2 more years), David Wilson for $13 (1 more year)...

If I ask for that though, I'm letting someone out of Trent Richardson for $25 (1 more year), someone out of Daryl Richardson for $10 (1 more year), Tom Brady for $25 (2 more years)...and ugh...maybe there isn't that many bad contracts...

Anyway, share your thoughts...any idea might spark something...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:18 pm

I agree with your gut reaction that it's not really fair to expand by just adding two teams with full budgets to fill their team through the auction draft. I think you guys need to do some sort of expansion draft involving protection/non-protection of players by the current teams. The new teams alternate selecting unprotected players from the current teams. This helps to spread the impact of the expansion across all teams, as opposed to having it disproportionately impact teams under the current process. For your particular case, beyond allowing these new teams access to some of the players of your competitors, it also helps dent their $200 cap.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:24 pm

Great minds, Krafty...

I had drawn up this pretty well-received plan...

Protect 4 (or 3)/claim 4 (or 3) and I simulated the process and the desired effects were achieved...I explained it a simple way and it got a lot of thumbs up in early discussion. So, hopefully...

Thanks for the feedback though, it ended up being exactly what was proposed :thumb:
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:07 pm

:thumb:
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Beveridge on Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:58 am

Here's what we did in our dynasty baseball league, Mikey.

Sparing all the details of the league, each draft we start out at $2000 in cap space less the value of signed, keeper contracts. When we had teams come into the league (one each the past 2 off seasons), they were able to pick players who were either released by their owner (non expiring contracts) or players sitting in free agency and then sign them to deals.

Granted both years I think both teams took the cheapest options possible, but at the very minimum it cut their starting cap by 25% and put them in line with most other teams going into the draft. It worked well.

Basically what you and Krafter both are saying. The unprotected players, in our situation, were players who were going to be back in the draft pool anyhow if they weren't selected.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby opie22002 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:19 am

I have the #2 pick in our 14 team standard scoring snake draft. The owner of the first pick plans to take McCoy. Who should I take at 2 and why?
opie22002
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:26 am

i think you could argue the merits of forte, AP, and charles. i think i would take forte or AP. charles worries me a little due to workload last year, turnover of offensive line, and overall suckiness of passing game. AP had been the model of consistency forever so you know what you will get there and forte is forte
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:39 pm

I'm in the same boat in my 12 team with the #2 pick but I don't know who's going #1. The man with the pick is the type that he's capable of just picking someone from his favorite team. (Guess you could say that's why he has the first pick this year) Is Peterson that much of a lock like in the past? His late season injuries have me a bit worried. Further, is Shady worth a #2 if he's not picked first? (just asking since in Opie's league he's going first overall)
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:18 am

as i mentioned, i think the top 4 RBs are pretty interchangeable. its really what you are most comfortable with
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:25 am

If it's a PPR, I'd consider Calvin Johnson at #2.

McCoy is probably who I would rank first, but Sproles is going to take away some of his catches and their LT is suspended for the 1st 4 games.

Charles would be next. He is getting older and after just signing a big deal he might not be as hungry as last year. KC also changed 3 players on the o-line.

I think AP and Forte are 3 and 4. Both getting older but AP has been less of an injury risk. Forte is a good PPR guy.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:20 pm

so I'm going to be in two leagues this year. I made a point the last two years to not join more than 1 because I didn't want to dilute the fun of the single money league I was in. It was really fun having one team (especially since I selected Cam both years along with the Seattle defense) that I could live and die with. But my brother asked me to join a league with his work friends and since it's a money league too, I joined.

not excited about being in two leagues, especially since one is with ESPN (and I'm accustomed to how the commish sets up scoring) and the other is Yahoo, but hey, money is money.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:09 am

In a PPR league, assuming Charles, AP, and Shady go 1, 2, and 3, who do you take at 4? Megatron, Lacy, or Forte?
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:12 am

forte
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:13 am

If anyone wants to play in the $20 LGP league PM me.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kraftster on Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:17 am

Mega at #4.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:30 am

for PPR? no way. he had 75 receptions last year
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:31 am

Forte, there will be good WR options in round 2.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:31 am

PPR is dumb.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:32 am

Forte in a heartbeat. The guy does it all, and is a top 3 RB in non-PPR leagues. He catches an insane amount of screens.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR