Official 2014 Fantasy Football Thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official 2014 Fantasy Football Thread

Postby IanMoran on Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:45 am

I think the top 4 rb's (Forte included) are clearly the top 4 picks. I take whoever is left out of that easily at 4. The tricky question is the 5th overall selection
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kraftster on Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:14 pm

But yeah, I guess Forte is the right decision in a PPR.

What is the point of PPR? I suppose I should not have a view that a default league is non-ppr since the decision to not award points for receptions is just as arbitrary as the decision to do so.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:16 pm

Kraftster wrote:But yeah, I guess Forte is the right decision in a PPR.

What is the point of PPR? I suppose I should not have a view that a default league is non-ppr since the decision to not award points for receptions is just as arbitrary as the decision to do so.

The point is to try and balance the value of receivers to RBs. IMO .5 PPR is the way to go
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:21 pm

Arbitrary addition of points. It made sense 5 years ago, but I think there are more reliable point earners at WR than at RB at this point. That combined with the way defense backs are being taken out of the game and maybe it should flip to PPCarry leagues.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:21 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:

The point is to try and balance the value of receivers to RBs. IMO .5 PPR is the way to go

Why is that desirable? Has it become antiquated now with the shift to such a passing league?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:23 pm

Kraftster wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:

Why is that desirable? Has it become antiquated now with the shift to such a passing league?

To elaborate, I play in a hockey league that gives a bonus for dman points and heavily rewards blocked shots with the same goal in mind. I've adjusted to that format over the past three years, but I quite honestly still do not understand the point of trying to make the top player at every position equally valuable. Scarcity at a position is, in my opinion, the far greater factor in player value. That doesn't change with ppr.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:28 pm

Like Idoit said, PPR made sense 5 years ago. With it being such a passing league now, it has overvalued receivers. Last year the guy that won my one league took receivers in the first 3 rounds (Megatron, Brandon Marshall, & Andre Johnson). The rest of his team was poop, but those 3 receivers were good enough to carry him. I like the suggestion for .5 PPR

A while ago this league was 4 points for a passing TD (6 for all others) and thought that was too low. We changed it to 6 points, and that put QB's way ahead of everyone else. Changed it to 5 last year and that seemed to work well.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:32 pm

It's been argued that a PPR levels the value of a WR when compared to a RB, but I think it overly inflates the value of RB that are heavily involved in passing game. I don't see how a catch for negative yardage should be awarded any points.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:41 pm

How many workhorse RBs exist anymore? If anything, there needs to be something to counteract their near-extinction...I'm also not a big ppr guy, or at least not a full point...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:47 pm

We have a .5 PPR in my money league. We also have a ridicuolously inflated QB scoring system. I pick 14, don't plan on the big 3 at QB being there, so I plan on going WR-WR-WR.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:48 pm

mikey287 wrote:How many workhorse RBs exist anymore? If anything, there needs to be something to counteract their near-extinction...I'm also not a big ppr guy, or at least not a full point...

Yeah, this goes to my point about scarcity. At the end of the day, I don't think there's anything you can do about scarcity. And scarcity is what will ultimately guide a player's value.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IanMoran on Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:49 pm

Everyone always talks about PPR averaging out WR's with RB. While that may be true , I think its more important to compare the impact of WR to WR. Receiving td's (with some obvious exceptions) are generally quite random / impossible to predict(FAR more so than rushing / passing td's). Want to know how to usually get a good wr? Draft someone who is underrated because they didn't have a lot of td's the previous season. It almost always works out for you. Definitely can't say the same with rb / qb. Getting points on a game to game basis from wr in standard just depends too much upon the luck of if they get a TD that week. Generally the best wr's are rewards more often in PPR.

Also, while because of the passing league nature, wr's have caught up to rb's in points... RB's are still far more valuable because of position scarcity. PPR makes it so having an elite WR becomes almost as important as having an elite RB because it creates a bigger gap in points for wr's.

While I don't like the Wes Welker's of the world getting overly awarded in PPR, its at least predictable / not just lucky. All of this could probably actually be best solved by awarding WR's more pts per yard but when it comes to standard vs. PPR I'll easily take PPR. Especially in snake draft formats... having the first couple picks is just far too important for standard leagues.

Edit: From a selfish standpoint I like PPR as well, because every league usually has a decent amount of owners who seem to not adjust enough to the PPR format. I usually end up with the reggie bush's, matt forte's, wes welker's, etc on my team it seems like
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:05 pm

speaking of QB heavy scoring, it made me look back at this gem of a league i was in. note the point per completion. the initial league settings had 5 starting QBs, so i drafted 5 straight QBs. they then changed the roster requirements before the season started to 2 qbs and 1 flex qb. i still won the league:

Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Beveridge on Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:30 pm

In a 14 team league - we start 1 qb, 2 rb, 3 wr, 1 te, 1 k, 1 d. Standard scoring + .5 PPR, 6 points for passing TD bonuses for different yardage at different possitions, etc.

We do an auction for first 56 players and then snake draft for the rest (I had 12th pick)

QB: Brees(A), E. Manning
RB: Lynch(A), Gore(A), Rice, Stewart
WR: R. White(A), Colston, Welker(A), S. Smith, Cooks, Latimer
TE: Miller, L. Green
K: Graham
D: 49ers

Really like my team considering depth gets hard with 14 teams. Probably means I'm finishing dead last.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:32 pm

In the league I'm in, taking a RB in the first round is near suicide. QBs get a ton more points and even then, RBs have a much bigger chance of getting injured.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:40 pm

Sounds like a good league to not be in.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IanMoran on Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:34 pm

My brother in law was in a league where you got points for rushing attempts........ Most insane thing I've heard of. Guy would cheer qb kneeling the ball
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:38 pm

I once cheered for the Ravens openly against the Steelers. Had them as my D and I was playing in the championship with $400 on the line. Fantasy sports will make you do strange things.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IanMoran on Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:44 pm

cheesesteakwithegg wrote:I once cheered for the Ravens openly against the Steelers. Had them as my D and I was playing in the championship with $400 on the line. Fantasy sports will make you do strange things.

I've yet to cheer against the Steelers, but that'd be a tempting scenario. I do start rooting for the Steelers to go for anyone but a player I'm playing against (ex. rooting for a pass play down in the redzone if my opponent has Bell) and I've also rooted for my guy to get garbage time points against the Steelers in a blowout. (Forget specific example but it was so out of hand the backup qbs were in)
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:24 pm

For many years in the early 2000's (many), I was able to figure a way to get all or most of the Colts offense, so it was a non-issue, luckily. I still can't bring myself to root for anything negative against Indianapolis. I care far more about my team than fantasy sports. But my roommate is almost the opposite. He'll stop watching a close game late to watch the live scoring of his fantasy league. I suppose I can understand it when money is on the line...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:30 pm

I have two rules in fantasy:

1. Never pick a Charger, Chief or Raider
2. If I'm picking between two players, the Bronco or former Bronco always has precedence.

That way I can minimize rooting against the Broncos.

(Rule 3 is "Always pick up Tim Tebow")
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kraftster on Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:32 pm

I have no rooting interest in MLB and NFL and play fantasy in both. I'm strictly a fantasy player fan, and I'm convinced it leads to more fantasy success. I do get crushes on certain players, but they are always fantasy crushes, so that's probably not as big of a deal.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:03 pm

Yeah i root for the cowboys first then my fantasy team. Appropriately the Cowboys relevance ends when fantasy ends. I think for the most part I avoid reaching for Cowboys players in early rounds though i do often backfill my roster with them.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby cheesesteakwithegg on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:56 pm

Picking 8th in my PPR league. Blah. No clue on who to take. My top 7 are McCoy, Charles, AP, Forte, Lacy, Lynch, and Megatron. Hopefully one of them falls, as I have no clue who I will take if I dont get one of them.
cheesesteakwithegg
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:59 pm

Graham
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR