Life Insurance

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Life Insurance

Postby Hockeynut! on Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:09 am

Can anyone recommend a company that will sell me a $50K insurance policy that won't try to upsell me on term/policy amount? I was shopping around recently and got some good quotes but they all want to sell me $100K or more and that requires scheduling a visit from a nurse for a physical, etc. Being self employed, my free time is very limited and I don't feel like wasting it on that. I don't have kids or a spouse and that won't be changing. A $50K policy is more than enough to pay off my Jeep and final expenses which is all I want. That way, if I die my parents can have my assets free and clear. I see no sense in going with $100K or more insurance even if it is only a $1 more a month. :lol:
Hockeynut!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Life Insurance

Postby columbia on Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:33 am

Most people without children usually just go with the 5/10K policy that gets thrown in a s apart of your benefits as work. You're obviously self employed, but are you part of any trade association, where you might be able to get a group discount? Perhaps this organization:
https://www.freelancersunion.org/benefits/
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby newarenanow on Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:59 am

Can't help with your specific question because my wife and I have the $500K each policy and had to go to the doctor's and stuff.

But it's smart you are doing this. I had a buddy who passed away suddenly a few years ago, and his kids were left with nothing and his parents had to cover all of his debt he had and it put a HUGE burden on them, on top of mourning their loss.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:59 am

Globe Life gave me 100k for about $45 a month.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:48 am

Surely that is whole life premium, right? Seems high for term. OP, I think you'd want a term policy. Should be dirt cheap, if you can find one.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:57 am

Kraftsters life insurance policy is to find the elixir for immortality
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:59 am

columbia wrote:Most people without children usually just go with the 5/10K policy that gets thrown in a s apart of your benefits as work.

I take the $0.51 per pay instead.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:01 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:
columbia wrote:Most people without children usually just go with the 5/10K policy that gets thrown in a s apart of your benefits as work.

I take the $0.51 per pay instead.

We don't have that option and I figure that's enough to dispose of me, if I bite the dust. :scared: :slug:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:40 am

Kraftster wrote:Surely that is whole life premium, right? Seems high for term.

If this was directed at me, yes. Whole life. I'm thinking of supplementing with some term as I continue to get healthier just in case I drop dead while running :lol:
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:13 pm

My brother in law sold us a bunch of whole life before I knew which way was up. It's upsetting in retrospect (and just in general). No one should have whole life. He wasn't trying to scam me or anything. These insurance guys believe in it for some reason. I'm in the process of trying to figure out if I can convert it to term and get a bunch of my cash back.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:55 pm

Yeah, my $1M term is a little less than $50/month. With kid (soon to be kids) and house I honestly feel nervous with only that much coverage.
Also, I bought a long term disability policy. That's pricier, but stastically, it's a better bet that a 31 year old winds up disabled than dead.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to NHR