Comcast REALLY wants to know why you'd cancel

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Comcast REALLY wants to know why you'd cancel

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:20 am

http://gizmodo.com/its-completely-absur ... 1605040001

Have you ever tried to cancel your cable service? Have you ever successfully tried to cancel your cable service? It may very well be one one of the hardest things you ever have to do—just ask Ryan Block. Or better yet, listen to the whole, infuriating 8 minutes for yourself

Quotes from the desperate "customer service" guy on the other end:

·Being that we are the number one provider of internet and TV service in the entire country, why is that you are not wanting to have the number one rated internet service available.
·So you're not interested in the fastest internet in the country?
·You don't want something that works? ...So why don't you want something that's good service and something that works?
·I'm really ashamed to see you go to something that can't give you what we can.
·I could save you $100...actually more than $100 per month!

Listen to this entire phone call. Its like something from The Office. He eventually admitted online his motivation for cancelling was Comcast's lobbying and monoplistic practices.

My take is that the "stand" the subscriber is making (refusing to answer why he's leaving) is akin to refusing to let Best Buy or Walmart check your bag/receipt on the way out. Yes, legally you may have no obligation, but you're dealing with a human being who is only representing a frustrating corporate policy. I try to have some compassion for that. He was being kind of snooty about sending his equipment back, saying he doesn't do things like that and would pay someone to if he had to. You should always return that crap in person to get a receipt.

The Comcast rep was one of two things, either a) a sociopath who loves Comcast or b) a guy desperate to keep his job. When I was selling televisions I saw guys who risked being fired over extended warranty sales act in a similar (if slightly toned down) way. Cable companies are losing subscribers left and right and need people like this guy to try guilting customers into staying.

My number one hope is that this becomes exhibit A in the FTC and FCC's debate over Comcast's intent to merge with Time Warner Cable (TWC has nothing to do with the CNN/Warner Bros/Time magazine based Time Warner corporation).

I had a lot of fun cancelling Comcast in the fall of 2012. Why they asked why I said I subscribe to Comcast for hockey. And not only is there no hockey right now due to the lockout, YOUR COMPANY via their ownership of the Flyers is party to that lockout. The rep had nothing on his script for that lol.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Comcast REALLY wants to know why you'd cancel

Postby dman66 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:30 am

I just cancelled Comcast a few months ago. We moved from Baltimore to Crofton, and Crofton has Fios, so we decided to make the switch. I expected my call with Comcast to last at least an hour. When they asked why I was cancelling, I told them I was moving out of the country, and thus, didn't have a need for them. Not only did the call last only 5 minutes, but it was pleasant enough and I got a refund back from Comcast within a month.
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby eddysnake on Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:38 am

I keep saying I'm going to cancel and my quarterly calls into comcast to get the price reduced drives me closer each time, but I always come away getting something that I"m OK with. The last 3 years I was locked in at their triple play for $99. After 3 years and many calls up the chains, this was the first time they weren't going to keep me there. I ended up getting it at $114 locked for 2 more years, but I'm not sure that's going to last this time.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:07 am

Is it bad that I wish I could get comcast? Armstrong Cable sucksssssss
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:13 am

I haven't had cable for 4 years. But between the $90 phone bill and $75 internet bill...i still give verizon and comcast plenty of money.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:22 am

When I originally got Comcast a few months ago (in Jersey City so it was either Comcast or Verizon and I already hate Verizon enough because of my cell phone) I had a very similar experience with a sales rep. Guy was sooooo desperate to get me to get a DVR it sounded like his life depended on it.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:25 am

mac5155 wrote:Is it bad that I wish I could get comcast? Armstrong Cable sucksssssss

The grass is always greener
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:26 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:
mac5155 wrote:Is it bad that I wish I could get comcast? Armstrong Cable sucksssssss

The grass is always greener

The speed is most likely faster.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:43 am

I never stop for receipt checkers.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:15 am

I don't think Armstrong is that bad.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meow on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:23 am

I like Armstrong. Has anyone ever tried to haggle them down on a price before?
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:34 am

I mean, Comcast is infamous, but I have been more than pleased with my service to date. Fast internet, great variety of channels, and I get to watch Root Sports in Lancaster County.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:36 am

People who complain about Comcast were probably never a Time Warner customer.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby PensFanInDC on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:39 am

I tried the "I'd like to cancel my service" plan to get my bill down a few times. It never worked to reduce my bill. I think they must have something in their system that tells the CSR that Comcast is the only cable or internet option in my area so I was probably bluffing or would be back...
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:41 am

meow wrote:I like Armstrong. Has anyone ever tried to haggle them down on a price before?

I think the key is to put a dollar amount in their head and to be willing to actually tell them to cancel the service.

I always say I just can't afford to pay much more than $60 for internet and tv, and theres no sense in me getting tv service if I won't get any channels I watch. Then theres always some magical double play bundle for $65-80. I'm paying $80 now and I get pretty much all of their channels and HBO.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:42 am

shafnutz05 wrote:I mean, Comcast is infamous, but I have been more than pleased with my service to date. Fast internet, great variety of channels, and I get to watch Root Sports in Lancaster County.

NOW WE HAVE A PLACE TO ROOT
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:57 am

columbia wrote:People who complain about Comcast were probably never a Time Warner customer.

I think we discussed this before. My in-laws have Time Warner, probably the worst service I've ever seen. The box is beyond slow, the picture is crap, etc. But really my biggest peeve is the lagginess of the STB.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:00 pm

I got rid of TW, when I realized that tethering to my 3G phone was faster than their "high speed" service.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:01 pm

I get 24 mbps with Comcast, in comparison.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GeoTank on Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:23 pm

I had and loved Adelphia for years till Comcast bought them. One week after the takeover a Comcast truck rolls to one end of my street and the guy take his bucket up to the top of the pole. My picture within the next few minutes goes all wonky, i wait..... 30 mins later it cleared up and i look out he starts coming down. Ok he's doing something but it's all good now. He rolled to the other end of the street and same pattern happens, this time it stays bad when he leaves ....... I call up service they say nobody was scheduled to be anywhere near my street and it must be an in-house wiring problem. I'll need to schedule an in-house appointment to get someone over to fix my issue, might take 2-3 weeks. 3 days later i had cancelled Crap-cast and had installed FiOS internet and a Direct TV package (FiOS TV wasn't out yet). 2 weeks later Crapcast called and asked if i still needed that service call.... idiots

I now have FiOS Quantum and i love it
GeoTank
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KennyTheKangaroo on Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:32 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:I mean, Comcast is infamous, but I have been more than pleased with my service to date. Fast internet, great variety of channels, and I get to watch Root Sports in Lancaster County.

NOW WE HAVE A PLACE TO ROOT

Thanks garrett jones
KennyTheKangaroo
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby IanMoran on Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:38 pm

My cable / internet is just insane for all the basic stuff.

I really use just Netflix, but keep cable just for live sports... I'm outside of pgh, so I have mlb tv already (can't stream MLB) / I stream pens games most of time.

Anyone have any comments on Apple TV for sports?
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:53 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
columbia wrote:People who complain about Comcast were probably never a Time Warner customer.

I think we discussed this before. My in-laws have Time Warner, probably the worst service I've ever seen. The box is beyond slow, the picture is crap, etc. But really my biggest peeve is the lagginess of the STB.

Ugh the lag with the Comcast box is just pathetic.

*click '850' on remote* ...8...few seconds later...5...few seconds later...0...*press enter*...few seconds later...channel changes, has to load for a few seconds...
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Postby pittsoccer33 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:15 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:Ugh the lag with the Comcast box is just pathetic.

*click '850' on remote* ...8...few seconds later...5...few seconds later...0...*press enter*...few seconds later...channel changes, has to load for a few seconds...

I tell everyone who will listen - use your own box!!! Use your own modem too. With your own equipment they can't play games with you on that stuff.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:01 pm

dman66 wrote:I just cancelled Comcast a few months ago. We moved from Baltimore to Crofton, and Crofton has Fios, so we decided to make the switch. I expected my call with Comcast to last at least an hour. When they asked why I was cancelling, I told them I was moving out of the country, and thus, didn't have a need for them. Not only did the call last only 5 minutes, but it was pleasant enough and I got a refund back from Comcast within a month.

That's my move when I cancel. Ditched the AT&T landline about a year ago and just said I was moving to a Verizon franchise ZIP. When they asked if I was going to cancel the U-Verse account as well, I just said I wanted the house to have net access while it was on the market. I hadn't been prepared for that question, so that was an off-the-cuff answer. It apparently worked, because the call took all of 120 seconds.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to NHR