Comcast REALLY wants to know why you'd cancel

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Comcast REALLY wants to know why you'd cancel

Postby knives of ice on Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:11 am

meow wrote:I like Armstrong. Has anyone ever tried to haggle them down on a price before?

you can't be referring to Armstrong internet service i hope, because there is no worse service in the Pittsburgh area. no other provider charges more for less than armstrong.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:12 am

I would start the conversation with the statement that this call is being recorded and if it takes more than 1 minute to cancel service, it will be posted online.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:18 am

The more I thought about it, the more I think his manager was standing over his shoulder badgering him on to keep at it.

When I sold televisions I had to ask the same kinds of uncomfortable questions if there was a manager there. I did well enough with extended warranties that I didn't get hassled a lot, so could tone it way down when there wasn't a manager around.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:27 am

columbia wrote:I get 24 mbps with Comcast, in comparison.

Was this in your current or previous location? Time Warner's Basic or lowest high speed plan here is now 15/1. We've got some localized network issues (i.e. old equipment locally) that they have no interest in repairing. My only other option is to tether my phone (4G LTE 30/15 or so) or AT&T DSL, with max speed of 6/1. :lol:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby IanMoran on Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:32 am

Really, really excited

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markrogowsk ... lite-dish/

NFL Sunday ticket available for $200 without direct tv for those who can't get a dish for various reasons (I'm in an apartment so can't / already checked with Direct TV and its available for me).

I never use cable at all besides live sports, and that's a pain ecause I'm in MN so constantly missing what I really want

I already have MLB tv / Netflix (watch a lot of), so I'll keep those.

Currently, I pay $156 / mo for basic internet / tv / a landline I don't want.. So an insane $1,872 a year to a company I absolutely despise. Not including the random months they jack my bill up more

I can get $30 / mo for Century Link Internet. $200 for NFL, estimated $159 (last year's price) for NHL gamecent.. For a grand total $729 a year.

Just realized I can save over a $1,000 a year, and get a product I want more.

I'm almost giddy to cancel on them.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:34 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
columbia wrote:I get 24 mbps with Comcast, in comparison.

Was this in your current or previous location? Time Warner's Basic or lowest high speed plan here is now 15/1. We've got some localized network issues (i.e. old equipment locally) that they have no interest in repairing. My only other option is to tether my phone (4G LTE 30/15 or so) or AT&T DSL, with max speed of 6/1. :lol:

It was in my prior location. :pop: I think I was pulling down 1.5 mbps with TW, before I threw them in the trash. Their techs SWORE that it was at least 10, but they were of course lying.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby pittsoccer33 on Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:39 am

IanMoran wrote:I can get $30 / mo for Century Link Internet. $200 for NFL, estimated $159 (last year's price) for NHL gamecent.. For a grand total $729 a year.

Does Century Link offer TV too? You might be able to get locals for a very cheap price. If not give an antenna a try. I use one for local channels in PGH and I'm really happy with it.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IanMoran on Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:52 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:
IanMoran wrote:I can get $30 / mo for Century Link Internet. $200 for NFL, estimated $159 (last year's price) for NHL gamecent.. For a grand total $729 a year.

Does Century Link offer TV too? You might be able to get locals for a very cheap price. If not give an antenna a try. I use one for local channels in PGH and I'm really happy with it.

Nope, Comcast has a legal monopoly on tv here.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mac5155 on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:51 pm

knives of ice wrote:
meow wrote:I like Armstrong. Has anyone ever tried to haggle them down on a price before?

you can't be referring to Armstrong internet service i hope, because there is no worse service in the Pittsburgh area. no other provider charges more for less than armstrong.

You mean paying 45 a month for 15/1 (in reality 5/.25) isn't a good deal?! Lol
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IanMoran on Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:41 am

I don't know why, but for some reason Comcast Hates my area of msp. I know friends who have negotiated down comcast for much better deals 2-5 miles away from me in different neighborhoods. I've tried, failed miserably... But have better deals than person I know In my apartment / guy I know 2 blocks away.

It's really not a high or low income area or something, but majority of community is students (in grad school, just so convenient to live here). I'm guessing maybe kids here never really fight for cheaper deals / parents just pay it?

Cancelled this morning, told them really not interested in landline or cable but have another option of just internet for $30/ month. Her final offer to get me to stay was $80/ month, just internet
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IanMoran on Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:42 am

I don't know why, but for some reason Comcast Hates my area of msp. I know friends who have negotiated down comcast for much better deals 2-5 miles away from me in different neighborhoods. I've tried, failed miserably... But have better deals than person I know In my apartment / guy I know 2 blocks away.

It's really not a high or low income area or something, but majority of community is students (in grad school, just so convenient to live here). I'm guessing maybe kids here never really fight for cheaper deals / parents just pay it?

Cancelled this morning, told them really not interested in landline or cable but have another option of just internet for $30/ month. Her final offer to get me to stay was $80/ month, just internet
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:28 am

Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:32 am

Debating going to roku or Apple TV. I can't seem to find out if I can watch sports on them though.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:50 am

With Apple TV you can do nhl nba and mlb
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IanMoran on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:51 am

Pavel Bure wrote:Debating going to roku or Apple TV. I can't seem to find out if I can watch sports on them though.

Yea. I kept trying to figure out the Apple TV and live sports thing.. it seems like its impossible to find a clear answer.

I ended up cancelling and going with NFL Sunday Ticket (can do without Direct TV since I'm in an apt), MLB TV, NHL gamecenter, and Netflix... saved me about a $1,000 a year from cable and I love my options a lot more (all I watched was sports / Netflix anyways)
Last edited by IanMoran on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IanMoran on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:52 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:With Apple TV you can do nhl nba and mlb

But don't they require you to pay the normal subscription anyways?
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IanMoran on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:58 am

tifosi77 wrote:
dman66 wrote:I just cancelled Comcast a few months ago. We moved from Baltimore to Crofton, and Crofton has Fios, so we decided to make the switch. I expected my call with Comcast to last at least an hour. When they asked why I was cancelling, I told them I was moving out of the country, and thus, didn't have a need for them. Not only did the call last only 5 minutes, but it was pleasant enough and I got a refund back from Comcast within a month.

That's my move when I cancel. Ditched the AT&T landline about a year ago and just said I was moving to a Verizon franchise ZIP. When they asked if I was going to cancel the U-Verse account as well, I just said I wanted the house to have net access while it was on the market. I hadn't been prepared for that question, so that was an off-the-cuff answer. It apparently worked, because the call took all of 120 seconds.

Just looked.. my entire call took 3:50. That's including going through the system to reach the representative. It really wasn't bad, she asked my reason.. said price. Ask if I'd be willing to keep it if could offer a better deal. I said I don't use cable, but possibly with internet. She gave me a price for internet, I said no to that. She asked when I wanted to cut off my service / then she told me theyd send me packages to ship my equipment back.

Insanely harmless. The caller from the OP was an insane "jagoff" that made things as difficult as possible as publicity stunt... He was far worse than the guy just trying to do his job imo
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:15 pm

Roku has the most apps of everything. If I didn't want to use an HTPC I'd have a Roku for internet based video.

Once Android TV drops this fall I think it will be the king. Everyone seems on board to support it, meaning not only the hardware makers but the app developers and content providers. The first version of Google TV (which ran a fubar'd version of Android on x86 processors) didn't have any support. Normal Android apps didn't run and content providers were scared of having their "web" videos on the living room tv.

Now I suspect Android TV (running the next update of Android, called "L" right now) will be able to optimized to run any Android video app thats in the marketplace now.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:21 pm

IanMoran wrote:
Letang Is The Truth wrote:With Apple TV you can do nhl nba and mlb

But don't they require you to pay the normal subscription anyways?

Yes
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IanMoran on Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:38 pm

I admittedly don't follow any type of stock / business news... are companies like Comcast / traditional big cable companies really struggling yet? Seems like every non-boomer I know is getting rid of cable.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:21 pm

Going back a few years, and especially the last few months, we've seen unprecedented M&A activity in the media industry.

Comcast isn't just a cable provider. Its a broadcast network (NBC), a movie/tv production studio (Universal), a bunch of cable channels that they make other cable companies pay for (CNBC, NBC Sports, Universal, NHL Network), a crappy NHL team, among tons of other things. They are also now trying to buy Time Warner Cable (no relation to the Time Warner company).

The Fox/Rupert Murdoch empire isn't a cable company here, but in many other countries they operate as Sky or Foxtel satellite service. They are also a movie studio, an animation house, broadcast network, a family of cable channels, etc. And now they're trying to buy Time Warner (movie/tv studio, DC Comics, CNN, TBS, HBO).

ATT just bought Directv, presumably for the NFL Sunday ticket.

Dish has been rumored to merge with someone like Sprint or TMobile for a long while.

Google is now a TV provider and they're expanding. I wouldnt be shocked if they bought Verizon.

So my long winded point is that while these corporations are worried about he slide in TV subscribers (TWC's CEO recently said the cost to subscribe is spiraling out of control) they realize that the content is king. Thats why you see mergers going after movie libraries (just imagine if FX had access to all Warner's films free of charge), tv content (HBO?), sports packages (Sunday Ticket).

The cable companies want to be as large as possible to strong arm the content makers into less money, while the content makers want to get larger to force even more bundling. Thats why theres no ala carte and tiers that make no sense - the conglomerates like Disney and Discovery Networks force it.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitt87 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:15 pm

IanMoran wrote:I admittedly don't follow any type of stock / business news... are companies like Comcast / traditional big cable companies really struggling yet? Seems like every non-boomer I know is getting rid of cable.

Not sure what you mean by 'struggling yet', but if you mean because people are leaving cable for other video services like Netflix, its not really that simple. Verizon, Comcast, AT&T, and TWC probably provide virtually all connectivity to any internet-based service, of which I would include 'cable' television. They are anything but struggling... they are Federally-protected colluders who have used their lobby to eliminate competitors and lever value away from anyone that wants to deliver content without paying their way in.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:21 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
IanMoran wrote:I admittedly don't follow any type of stock / business news... are companies like Comcast / traditional big cable companies really struggling yet? Seems like every non-boomer I know is getting rid of cable.

Not sure what you mean by 'struggling yet', but if you mean because people are leaving cable for other video services like Netflix, its not really that simple. Verizon, Comcast, AT&T, and TWC probably provide virtually all connectivity to any internet-based service, of which I would include 'cable' television. They are anything but struggling... they are Federally-protected colluders who have used their lobby to eliminate competitors and lever value away from anyone that wants to deliver content without paying their way in.

Not to mention that net neutrality will give internet providers a lot more power.
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Factorial on Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:30 am

From a Comcast employee:

If I was reviewing this guys calls I'd agree that this is an example of going a little too hard at it, but here's the deal (and this is not saying they're doing the right thing, this is just how it works). First of all these guys have a low hourly rate. In the states I've worked in they start at about 10.50-12$/hr. The actual money that they make comes from their metrics for the month which depends on the department they're in. In sales this is obvious, the more sales you make the better you do.

In retention, the more products you save per customer the better you do, and the more products you disconect the worst you do (if a customer with a triple play disconnects, you get hit as losing every one of those lines of business, not just losing one customer.) These guys fight tooth and nail to keep every customer because if they don't meet their numbers they don't get paid.

http://np.reddit.com/r/television/comme ... to/ciy33bx
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby bhaw on Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:25 pm

That's just a bad comp model. You incentivize the good, but don't punish them for the bad. You'll have much better reps who are doing the right thing for the brand. Sounds like each call is set up for life or death... either you save it and make money or you don't and lose what you've already made. Bad management there.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to NHR