American beheaded

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: American beheaded

Postby mac5155 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am

I watched up until he went behind him then couldn't stomach it any further.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dodint on Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:47 am

Tom Pryce v. ISIS
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby eddysnake on Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:56 am

shafnutz05 wrote:
eddysnake wrote:I'm not sure why someone would want to watch the video?

Serves as a sobering reminder of what these people are capable of. I guess it makes me appreciate the life I have even more

I suppose so, I couldn't even get past the headlines without being sick to my stomach.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Troy Loney on Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:03 am

shafnutz05 wrote:
eddysnake wrote:I'm not sure why someone would want to watch the video?

Serves as a sobering reminder of what these people are capable of. I guess it makes me appreciate the life I have even more

validation?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:10 am

i think people like throwing out the "he knew what he was getting into" qualifier because it makes them feel more secure all the way over here. so i get it. i just don't think it's necessary.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:24 am

I think people throw that out because its so obvious that its unquestionably true. It has nothing to do with how they feel.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:25 am

As far as watching those videos, you cant unsee that stuff. I cant believe people watch any of them.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the riddler on Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:40 am

Don't watch the video. I made a mistake watching the Nick Berg video and it's something I never want to see again. It's not so much the image that bothered me as it was the screaming, just horrific stuff.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:48 am

Idoit40fans wrote:As far as watching those videos, you cant unsee that stuff. I cant believe people watch any of them.

At some point you become desensitized to it all.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:38 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:As far as watching those videos, you cant unsee that stuff. I cant believe people watch any of them.

I made the mistake of watching the Bud Dwyer video. Very disturbing, and I'm not usually squeamish about stuff like that. Just so much blood. :(
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:51 pm

dodint wrote:This is what serving in the military in the 2000s was. A bunch of leadership that had never deployed or saw conflict suddenly thrust in to war post-9/11 leading a bunch of service members that signed up specifically to take part in said wars. It was a straining dynamic that is still rippling through the services.

This is somewhat surprising to hear. I know there was a leadership problem post-Vietnam, and it took nearly all of the 1980s to fix things and weed out the badness. But I would have thought that a lot of today's brass (certainly O-6s and flag officers) would have been junior officers during the Gulf War.

I mean, at no point did the forces deployed to Afghanistan and Iraq (combined) reach 50% of the total U.S. deployed forces in '91. (Or it was just barely 50%) Granted, Iraq 1.0 only lasted six months, and the current conflicts have been going on for over a decade. But that is somewhat offset by the fact that this time around we relied (too) heavily on the repeated deployment of the same units over and over again. (For some reason, I am unable to recall the name of this stupid policy at the moment) So even though we've been engaged for substantially longer since 9/11, there hasn't been a commensurate increase in the number of servicemen who have actually deployed.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:55 pm

Stop-loss?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:57 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:

Thats what I mean. You can't go back.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:58 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:

I made the mistake of watching the Bud Dwyer video. Very disturbing, and I'm not usually squeamish about stuff like that. Just so much blood. :(

I think WTAJ in Altoona accidentally aired the unedited Dwyer footage during Saturday morning cartoons or something back right after it happened.

When I was in college I was considering a career in law enforcement, and so was reading everything I could about forensic criminal investigation. One book in particular - Practical Homicide Investigation, by V. Geberth - had some especially ripe images. One photo of a murder-rape scene still occasionally pops up in nightmares.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:58 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:

Yeah i'm not squeamish about much stuff in movies or whatever, and I don't want to take that to the next level.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:59 pm

columbia wrote:Stop-loss?

Yes, I think that's it.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dodint on Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:06 pm

Tif, my experience is USMC centric where the op tempo is very high (I spent 2009 in Iraq, 2010 home, 2011 in Afghanistan, 2012 home) and the size is relatively small. My step-sister is in the Air Force and managed to hide from deployments, she spent the bulk of her career in Ohio. There was a Corporal who wrote a really interesting (so much so the USMC took notice at the time) paper about the dynamic, I'll see if I can find you a copy as he said it very well.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:30 pm

the riddler wrote:Don't watch the video. I made a mistake watching the Nick Berg video and it's something I never want to see again. It's not so much the image that bothered me as it was the screaming, just horrific stuff.

I've seen a few of them, the worst was a group of Chechen fighters beheading a young Russian infantryman...it leaves a pit in your stomach and huge question in your head: how can someone be so disgustingly ruthless as to be able to do that to another human being? I can't fathom where that ability comes from. Like Shaf said, it makes you appreciate our comfortable lives here in the States.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:33 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:

I think WTAJ in Altoona accidentally aired the unedited Dwyer footage during Saturday morning cartoons or something back right after it happened.

When I was in college I was considering a career in law enforcement, and so was reading everything I could about forensic criminal investigation. One book in particular - Practical Homicide Investigation, by V. Geberth - had some especially ripe images. One photo of a murder-rape scene still occasionally pops up in nightmares.

I suppose you've never spent time on liveleak.com then, eh?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:42 pm

I watched one with the chainsaw and mexican drug cartels and about vomited. At least that one was over in like a second.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Eismann on Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:52 pm

mac5155 wrote:I watched up until he went behind him then couldn't stomach it any further.

The feed I saw didn't show anything further of the act, then ended shortly after. Not sure if there are other feeds with more footage.

It does serve as a reminder for me.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:55 pm

There was one a couple months ago of the Syrian rebel cutting the heart out of a dead Syrian army solider and eating a chunk of it. I just started watching the video, didn't quite realize what was going on until he held up the heart for the camera, then CHOMP.

Faces of Death videos in the 80s and 90s were nuts. One was a briefcase bomb in Bogotá, caught on camera as a news crew was shooting B-roll outside a courthouse. Blew a guy in half, but he didn't die right away, so there was this gruesome few seconds where he was like Bishop at the end of 'Aliens', looking around wide-eyed and silent.

That video started with a hudud hand amputation in Saudi Arabia or somewhere. That wasn't particularly gross, what was disturbing was when the guy carrying out the punishment threw the hand out of frame - camera panned to follow, and there were probably 50 hands in a pile. Busy morning, apparently.

This was in college, and my room mate had been pestering me and our other room mate to watch FOD for weeks. We finally rented one, and made popcorn and everything. Then like 70 seconds in they show the hand thing and he's like "I'm out!" and leaves the room.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:03 pm

I rented a FOD back in college with a friend because we were curious. It was crazy. There was one that sticks in my head where they tied some dudes arms and legs to 4 different jeeps and then all the jeeps gunned it and literally ripped every limb off the guy. He was partially torn in half too in the torso.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Firebird on Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:08 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:

Thats what I mean. You can't go back.

Maybe it's good you can't unsee it? So you actually remember? I wouldn't really be even upset if they aired the pictures I saw from some of the foreign press of him beheaded.

People may actually understand who we're dealing with and realize this isn't a peaceful world (and never will be).
Last edited by Firebird on Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firebird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:09 pm

newarenanow wrote:I rented a FOD back in college with a friend because we were curious. It was crazy. There was one that sticks in my head where they tied some dudes arms and legs to 4 different jeeps and then all the jeeps gunned it and literally ripped every limb off the guy. He was partially torn in half too in the torso.

Drawn and quartered, or the 'full William Wallace'.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NHR