Michael Brown

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Michael Brown

Postby King Sid the Great 87 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:10 pm

tifosi77 wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:When a cop straps a bomb to his chest and blows up a mall then you can say they are acting like terrorists or compare them to ISIS.

Believe me, I don't like cops in general. I don't like dealing with them and I don't like how some of them abuse their power, in some cases leading to the deaths of innocent people. But to say that is a bigger threat to me right now is not accurate. I'm a middle class white dude in farm country. As far as I am concerned cops pose very little threat to me. Now, if I were a black man in Biloxi, MS.....

One very important fact to remember: You’re Eight Times More Likely to be Killed by a Police Officer than a Terrorist
That's from two years ago, and there are a lot of useful links in that blog post that talk about police militarization and whatnot. That's not to marginalize the ISIS/ISIL threat. That's merely to put it in perspective.

Since 9/11, police have killed more Americans than have terrorists.

That's an embarrassingly stupid "statistical analysis" to make which likely controls no variables.

I'll guess (reasonably) that most situations involving a cop killing someone involves a situation that I can easily say I will never be a part of. The randomness and unpredictability of a terrorist attack makes that far more threatening to me personally.

I guess the data provided could also lead me to conclude that I should be 8x as afraid of cops as I am terrorists. Nonsense.
King Sid the Great 87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tifosi77 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:23 pm

Every single day of your life in which you leave your house, at some point you will be in close proximity to a police officer. When can you say you've ever been near a terrorist?
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:27 pm

That's assuming that, for some reason or another, a police officer will randomly kill me.

Terrorist attacks, generally, are "random". They typically happen without warning. Cops, on the other hand, typically don't go running around shooting people without cause. You're not going to be randomly shot by a cop. That article falsely assumes that would be the case, rather than what the actuality is: the vast majority of people killed by cops put themselves in the position to be killed by cops.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:55 pm

MRandall25 wrote:You're not going to be randomly shot by a cop.

Man Dies in Police Raid on Wrong House
Florida Police Kill Wrong Man, Say It Was Victim’s Fault For His Own Death
Chicago Cops Shoot Wrong Man - 11 Times
L.A. deputies shoot, kill the wrong man, age 30
Florida Police Kill Wrong Man In Search of A Suspect Accused Of Attempted Murder . . . Later The Suspect Was Never Suspected Of Attempted Murder And In Fact There Was No Crime
Police Shoot, Kill 80-Year-Old Man In His Own Bed, Don't Find the Drugs They Were Looking For
Officer cleared after going to wrong address, shooting innocent grandpa in his garage
Horror: Cops tackle, beat, pepper-spray, pin, suffocate, kill innocent man
Cop Who Went to the WRONG Address and Killed an Innocent Man, Will Not Be Charged

That's just the first page of 7.1 million Google results for "cops kill wrong person". Obviously there aren't 7.1 million people killed by cops....... but it shows that the stories are common enough that a statement like "you aren't going to be randomly shot by a cop" seems almost quaint.

In all of 2011, about 70 police officers in the United States were killed. That same year in Los Angeles County alone, cops killed over 50 people. About a dozen of those shootings involved unarmed suspects, one of whom was shot in the back while fleeing.

Conversely, I don't recall the last time a terrorist killed someone in Los Angeles. Maybe the guy who tried to shot up the El Al ticket counter at LAX fourteen years ago.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:14 pm

You're more likely to die in a traffic accident on the way to work than by cop or terrorist.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:18 pm

And ISIS is more likely to commit genocide in Syria, Iraq and perhaps Jordan and Lebanon, if left unchecked.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby obhave on Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:48 pm

I've read today that no incident report was filled out by Wilson or any other cop. Seems quite suspicious to me.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2 ... eport.html

How the hell is there not an official report from Wilson on the timeline?
obhave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:53 pm

Cops vs Terrorist vs Sharks vs Falling out of Bed

That statistic is a terrible representation. I'm probably more likely to be mugged in te next hour too.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:53 pm

BigMcK wrote:http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Police-See-Benefit-Equipping-Officers-with-Body-Cams-271950571.html

Police See Benefit Equipping Officers With Body Cams

Experience in other cities has shown benefits. In San Bernardino County, after Rialto police equipped its officers with body cams, a study published last year found significant reductions in not only complaints against officers, but also the number of police use-of-force incidents.

However, not all police officers want all movements to be recorded. Callers into a local talk radio show that claim they are officers are split with some suggesting that the camera is nothing more than big brother sitting on your shoulder and others mentioning lowered moral amongst the rank and file due to having a device record all of your activities and the pressure that comes from scrutiny of those activities. One said he was so focused on the camera it impacted his decision making ability.

It would be interesting to see if a police union or civil rights group weigh in on this topic from the officer's standpoint.

It keeps cops safer, regardless of the oversight issues. I don't know why there isn;t already a 2 year standardization plan.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:55 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Every single day of your life in which you leave your house, at some point you will be in close proximity to a police officer. When can you say you've ever been near a terrorist?

That actually is what makes the statistic unbelievably stupid. #sharkstats.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Troy Loney on Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:38 pm

It's more like the car vs airplane crash analogy.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CrossIcePass on Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:40 pm

tifosi77 wrote:Conversely, I don't recall the last time a terrorist killed someone in Los Angeles. Maybe the guy who tried to shot up the El Al ticket counter at LAX fourteen years ago.

Wasn't there someone on this board who was involved in the 9-11 attacks?

http://articles.latimes.com/2014/mar/17 ... k-20140317

Are successful terrorist acts the benchmark? Or should you use attempts? It seems to me the argument is flawed if you only use successful acts. At a minimum you're penalizing police competency with your approach.
CrossIcePass
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:41 pm

OK, you're definitely EPP.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:04 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Factorial on Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:21 pm

obhave wrote:I've read today that no incident report was filled out by Wilson or any other cop. Seems quite suspicious to me.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2 ... eport.html

How the hell is there not an official report from Wilson on the timeline?

There is one but it has no details in it. What kind of reporting is that?
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Factorial on Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:22 pm

MRandall25 wrote:OK, you're definitely EPP.

Glancing over his other posts I don't think so but that could be do to my overall naïveté on such issues.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby dodint on Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:08 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/us/unarmed-white-man-killed-by-black-cop-heres-how-the-media-reacted

:Slug:

Police Chief Chris Burbank said the entire incident was captured on the body camera of the officer who shot Taylor.

I can't help but laugh at the cork that puts into the bottle of the body camera discussion.
dodint
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby count2infinity on Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:34 pm

Factorial wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:OK, you're definitely EPP.

Glancing over his other posts I don't think so but that could be do to my overall naïveté on such issues.

Doesn't seem like EPP posts... more like Kenny Melvin or BCS/Silencedogood
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:02 pm

dodint wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/us/unarmed-white-man-killed-by-black-cop-heres-how-the-media-reacted

:Slug:

Police Chief Chris Burbank said the entire incident was captured on the body camera of the officer who shot Taylor.

I can't help but laugh at the cork that puts into the bottle of the body camera discussion.

The video is only helpful if you can view it.

He said the video, along with the officer’s identity, will be released at the “appropriate” time, adding it could be days, weeks or months.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:08 pm

Good too see President Obama will be reviewing the sales of military grade weapons and equipment to local police. If you have a situation that calls for that type of force then deploy the National Guard.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:54 pm

I thought I was EPP...
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: you from the department of 'know what I'm saying"s?

Postby count2infinity on Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:05 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy wrote:I thought I was EPP...

well, you don't let things go like him, so maybe...
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:19 pm

It's like wacko mole.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:33 pm

I'm EPP