Michael Brown

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Michael Brown

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:47 am

Its been what, two weeks now? I still can't wrap my head around this. Every part of what happened has me angry, sad, and frustrated.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DropEmJayBird on Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:49 am

I've seen the "witnesses" that put themselves on TV have their story discredited multiple times both by the autopsy and the other evidence that we do know. I've seen the family lawyer come up with a second story that just makes zero sense (ie. a person in a car putting a choke hold on someone who is 6'4).

At this point, the rioters, looters, race baiters have an awful lot of ground to cover before I consider anything they say. Their fake stories have done them in for now... it's time to sit back and let the investigation happen - with actual concrete facts... not just a media narrative built to distract.
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Factorial on Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:49 am

count2infinity wrote:half of the conversation about this incident has been deleted, couple that with the fact that he was obviously exaggerating what was said... calm yourself.

I'm always calm. 8-)
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:49 am

count2infinity wrote:half of the conversation about this incident has been deleted, couple that with the fact that he was obviously exaggerating what was said... calm yourself.

If the posts would stay more on the topic, as opposed to people insulting other people's opinions on the issue, we could have a better discussion...right?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:53 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:Its been what, two weeks now? I still can't wrap my head around this. Every part of what happened has me angry, sad, and frustrated.

Really? Why?
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby count2infinity on Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:54 am

Troy Loney wrote:

If the posts would stay more on the topic, as opposed to people insulting other people's opinions on the issue, we could have a better discussion...right?

I don't see anything wrong with commenting on how interesting the conversation has turned since the beginning of the story. At the beginning there were certainly a group of posters that were ready to string up the cop and other saying hold on now... we don't know exactly what happened, those articles may not be correct. As more stories and articles come out about the incident the people ready to string up the cop are saying hold on now...those articles may not be correct. It's definitely an interesting turn that's happened. I don't think that's insulting, that's just commenting on the story line. Which part was insulting?
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:55 am

count2infinity wrote:I don't see anything wrong with commenting on how interesting the conversation has turned since the beginning of the story.

Namely?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:56 am

it seems to me that it's along the same lines of what got the other thread deleted.

As for the specific post, i don't think it really made a point as opposed as an attempt to belittle the opposite viewpoint.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:57 am

EVERYONE SETTLE!
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:59 am

oh lawd....
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:02 pm

I had no idea that what I said (typed) would be a spark to a powder keg. My apologies...
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:04 pm

We could make this into a warz game.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy on Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:04 pm

chalk this up as another deleted NAN thread
MalkinIsMyHomeboy
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby count2infinity on Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:07 pm

These threads would go so much smoother if everyone just had the same opinions as me...
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:09 pm

http://news.msn.com/us/ferguson-fallout ... -body-cams

What do you guys think of this. I'm fine with it. Will help with situations like this. But some may feel in infringes on your rights as you are being filmed.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby count2infinity on Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:13 pm

newarenanow wrote:http://news.msn.com/us/ferguson-fallout-a-call-for-police-body-cams

What do you guys think of this. I'm fine with it. Will help with situations like this. But some may feel in infringes on your rights as you are being filmed.

put a camera in each officer's badge. they have to wear the badge at all times, if they're not wearing it, they are not a cop. they turn the badge in everyday before they go home from work, the video is kept on file for 30 days in case a complaint is received in which case they can pull up the video and see what happened. after 30 days the files are scrapped to make room for more files. they pick up their badge as their clocking in for work. any officer found tampering with the video for any reason is immediately fired... heck you could even make it a criminal offense of some sort to tamper with the video in any way shape or form. I think it would certainly solve a number of problems.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:40 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
pittsoccer33 wrote:Its been what, two weeks now? I still can't wrap my head around this. Every part of what happened has me angry, sad, and frustrated.

Really? Why?

It's hard to even write what I feel because its like circular thinking. I've tried three times to lay out my thoughts in a coherent way but I just can't.

We don't know enough yet to even figure out who we should be angry at and who is the victim. The media has their narratives. Why does Fox News want the cop to be right, and the other major outlets what him to be wrong? I don't "want" anything other than to know how we can keep another young boy from being shot by police.

And thats to say nothing of the protesters (who don't have all the facts, though they do have a right to express themselves), the looters (who are nothing but lawless criminals), and the militarized police (who came in like jackbooted thugs).
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:09 pm

newarenanow wrote:http://news.msn.com/us/ferguson-fallout-a-call-for-police-body-cams

I don't think you have a right to not be filmed in public. If they want to come into your house they need to give you notice you will be filmed, agree or talk to them outside. I'm not against it but I think it can be focused on areas where there is either a real or highly percieved problem with interactions. Ferguson has had a lot of problems in he past before this, they would be a great department to test these out.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:23 pm

Right after the Brown shooting, I said I wasn't totally on board with this. Since then, I have learned some information that has really gotten me to change my mind. (Said no one on the internet ever)

They've been implemented by the Phoenix, AZ PD, and apparently the number of complaints about police abuse have dropped by 60% and the number incidents resulting in actual charges against an officer has dropped 80%. No policy changes were implemented concurrent with the cameras; their addition was the only thing that changed year-over-year.

That's powerful evidence.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:38 pm

tifosi77 wrote:

Right after the Brown shooting, I said I wasn't totally on board with this. Since then, I have learned some information that has really gotten me to change my mind. (Said no one on the internet ever)

They've been implemented by the Phoenix, AZ PD, and apparently the number of complaints about police abuse have dropped by 60% and the number incidents resulting in actual charges against an officer has dropped 80%. No policy changes were implemented concurrent with the cameras; their addition was the only thing that changed year-over-year.

That's powerful evidence.

Indeed it is. Let the states decide if they want to do it and then implement it on a 6 month or 1 year trial basis.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:40 pm

Having posted that, I do not remember if I have the percentages backwards, or if those numbers are force-wide deployment figures or the results of a trial period. But it's still compelling, either way.
tifosi77
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:37 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:CNN believes that the shots were actually fired from the missing Malaysian Airline.

CNN convicted the officer the day it happened.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:52 pm

Pitts wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:CNN believes that the shots were actually fired from the missing Malaysian Airline.

CNN convicted the officer the day it happened.

And they are still pushing that.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:55 pm

I have absolutely no problem with the police being equipped with dash-cams or body cameras. I tend to side with the police on most matters because I know their line of work is extremely dangerous. Couple that with the way the Ferguson crowd immediately jumped to a guilty conclusion and that's a bad mix. Cameras would put both sides on a level playing field. There would be no question as to what happened to Michael Brown then....and no rioting afterward.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:01 pm

If they have a budget for cameras, its a no brainer.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR