The Election

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

The Election

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:08 am

Well, I wasn't sure if this would be a good idea.... but, WTH.

Voting for the lesser of two evils tomorrow. Mr. Trump.
lemieuxReturns
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,923
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:00 am

Re: The Election

Postby Jim on Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:50 am

Voting for Clinton is like jumping into a vat of raw sewage.
Voting for Trump is like jumping into a vat of Hydrofluoric acid with rocks in you pockets.

Even if you hate everything that Clinton stands for and think that she is a criminal and yadda yadda yadda... there is one good thing about her becoming president: Trump wouldn't.

There is nothing that I like about Clinton. But there is no way in hell that anyone that considers themselves intelligent should vote for Trump.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,632
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: The Election

Postby Humperdink on Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:39 pm

Trump? How did we get this guy? I hear people ask that question all the time. Allow me to shed some light on this.
> Back in 2008, the R's nominated John McCain, war hero, POW, media favorite. Media favorite until he ran for president. He was then vilified as an out of touch Senator. His opponent, Barack Obama, also a Senator, had accomplished nothing in his career. The media loved him. And that was that - he was elected.
> In 2012, the R's nominate Mitt Romney. If there was ever a more squeaky clean candidate than Romney in the last 50 years, I have yet to see him or her. The guy doesn't even drink coffee because it's caffeinated.
> So how did the left, the democrats and the media treat Romney? He was destroyed.
> Harry Reid claimed Romney didn't pay taxes for 10 years. It was a lie (later admitted by Reid). The media ran with it.
> Romney had binders of potential women for cabinet and other other high level positions. The media mocked him. This was after Stephanopoulos claimed the R's had declared a "War on Women". Really? Declare war on 50% of the US electorate? The media ran with that meme also.
>Romney put a dog in a dog crate on top of his car. The media said he hated animals.
> Ann Romney used dressage (the highest expression of horse training) as therapy for her MS. She was mocked as a rich, out of touch person. Dressage, ha they said, the sport of rich people.
> The Left said Romney killed an employee's spouse who had cancer because of changes to her health coverage. The media ran with it.
> Biden told a black audience that Romney: "would put y'all back in chains".
> So how did Romney respond to these attacks? He smiled and gamely pressed on. And he got smoked in the election.
> Along comes a guy (Trump) who is finally willing to fight back and take no prisoners. And he is embraced by 40+% of the electorate. Is he foul mouthed, brash and arrogant? Yep, all of those and then some. But the common folks look past that because they want and demand a change in the course of this country.
> They are tired of the GOP elites picking their losing candidates for them.
> They are tired of Obama refusing to enforce immigration laws.
> They are tired of the rich politicians getting away with breaking laws.
> They are tired of seeing the IRS and DOJ becoming weaponized against the Left's political enemies.
> They are tired of being lied to.
> They are tired.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,978
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:10 am
Location: Allegheny National Forest

Re: The Election

Postby Jim on Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:22 pm

Humperdink wrote:Trump? How did we get this guy? I hear people ask that question all the time. Allow me to shed some light on this.
> Back in 2008, the R's nominated John McCain, war hero, POW, media favorite. Media favorite until he ran for president. He was then vilified as an out of touch Senator. His opponent, Barack Obama, also a Senator, had accomplished nothing in his career. The media loved him. And that was that - he was elected.
> In 2012, the R's nominate Mitt Romney. If there was ever a more squeaky clean candidate than Romney in the last 50 years, I have yet to see him or her. The guy doesn't even drink coffee because it's caffeinated.
> So how did the left, the democrats and the media treat Romney? He was destroyed.
> Harry Reid claimed Romney didn't pay taxes for 10 years. It was a lie (later admitted by Reid). The media ran with it.
> Romney had binders of potential women for cabinet and other other high level positions. The media mocked him. This was after Stephanopoulos claimed the R's had declared a "War on Women". Really? Declare war on 50% of the US electorate? The media ran with that meme also.
>Romney put a dog in a dog crate on top of his car. The media said he hated animals.
> Ann Romney used dressage (the highest expression of horse training) as therapy for her MS. She was mocked as a rich, out of touch person. Dressage, ha they said, the sport of rich people.
> The Left said Romney killed an employee's spouse who had cancer because of changes to her health coverage. The media ran with it.
> Biden told a black audience that Romney: "would put y'all back in chains".
> So how did Romney respond to these attacks? He smiled and gamely pressed on. And he got smoked in the election.
> Along comes a guy (Trump) who is finally willing to fight back and take no prisoners. And he is embraced by 40+% of the electorate. Is he foul mouthed, brash and arrogant? Yep, all of those and then some. But the common folks look past that because they want and demand a change in the course of this country.
> They are tired of the GOP elites picking their losing candidates for them.
> They are tired of Obama refusing to enforce immigration laws.
> They are tired of the rich politicians getting away with breaking laws.
> They are tired of seeing the IRS and DOJ becoming weaponized against the Left's political enemies.
> They are tired of being lied to.
> They are tired.


So they are committing suicide? Gun in their own mouth, BOOM! (ie: electing Trump)
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,632
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: The Election

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:36 pm

Jim wrote:Voting for Clinton is like jumping into a vat of raw sewage.
Voting for Trump is like jumping into a vat of Hydrofluoric acid with rocks in you pockets.

Even if you hate everything that Clinton stands for and think that she is a criminal and yadda yadda yadda... there is one good thing about her becoming president: Trump wouldn't.

There is nothing that I like about Clinton. But there is no way in hell that anyone that considers themselves intelligent should vote for Trump.


Oh yes... the tried and true argument of intelligence. Reminds me of something I read recently:

[Let's talk about] Donald Trump. What does he represent in the American mind and in the European mind?  He represents American white trash, [which Hillary Clinton called] 'deplorable and irredeemable'.  It means from an establishment or educated cosmopolitan, urbane perspective, these people are like the red necks, and you can never deal with them.  Because he so clearly -- through his words and actions and the type of people that turn up at his rallies -- represents people who are not the middle, not the upper middle educated class, there is a fear of seeming to be associated in any way with them, a social fear that lowers the class status of anyone who can be accused of somehow assisting Trump in any way, including any criticism of Hillary Clinton. If you look at how the middle class gains its economic and social power, that makes absolute sense.
lemieuxReturns
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,923
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:00 am

Re: The Election

Postby Humperdink on Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:52 pm

@Jim. Most of the country feels the US is on the wrong track. Trump has had zero to do with the current condition of the country. The D candidate has been in "public" service (now worth $200 mil) for 30+ years and you want more of the same?

I am willing to take a chance on someone outside beltway mentality. I know, and you probably know, what we will get with D candidate. If that is your preference, God bless you.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,978
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:10 am
Location: Allegheny National Forest

Re: The Election

Postby Jim on Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:30 pm

Humperdink wrote:@Jim. Most of the country feels the US is on the wrong track. Trump has had zero to do with the current condition of the country. The D candidate has been in "public" service (now worth $200 mil) for 30+ years and you want more of the same?

I am willing to take a chance on someone outside beltway mentality. I know, and you probably know, what we will get with D candidate. If that is your preference, God bless you.


The US has been on the wrong track for a long time. Heck, look at the two yabos that are running for President.

Clinton is not the answer. ... except when compared to Trump.

Voting for Trump is like cutting off your head because you have a headache.

Best case if he wins... he is impeached by February.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,632
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: The Election

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:36 pm

Impeachment is for someone who breaks the law. There seems to be only one candidate that is guilty of that.
lemieuxReturns
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,923
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:00 am

Re: The Election

Postby Zarovich on Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:31 pm

Trump is an awful person who borrowed over $100 million dollars from his father and his father's companies to build his "empire". He does not have as much money as he claims and only has his "brand". The reason he has traction is our country is in this crazy reality TV mentality and he fits right into it. This idea that he says things people can't say anymore because someone may get offended, it is true that those things are offensive. If you are a white man, and want this country to be white male dominant again, vote for Trump. That is what a vote for him is.
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,923
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:50 pm
Location: Waiting for the write-up...

Re: The Election

Postby Humperdink on Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:19 pm

@Jim. I've read your other posts, you are an intelligent guy. In your opinion, what would Trump do that would negatively impact the country, short term and long term?
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,978
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:10 am
Location: Allegheny National Forest

Re: The Election

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:34 pm

@Zaro

So a vote for Trump is a vote for white power? Is that what you are saying? But a vote for Clinto is not a vote for white power?
lemieuxReturns
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,923
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:00 am

Re: The Election

Postby Humperdink on Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:05 pm

The richest in South America was Venezuela. Today, they are flat broke. Can't even afford to import toilet tissue. Amazingly, they still have the highest crude oil reserves in the world. Their highest denominated currency was the 100 Bolivar, worth about 8 cents. They recently created a new "highest" denominated currency - the 20,000 Bolivar, worth $15 bucks. What happened? In the heretofore wealthy country, the government decided it would run everything, control everything (read: price controls), offer free everything. They have free health care, but band aids are scarce.

The richest country in North America is the United States. It is $20 trillion in debt. We have a candidate offering free college. We will have national healthcare as Obamacare will crumble under it's own weight, which was the plan all along. That will add to the debt in large measure.

Hmm, I wonder happens to federal budget when Janet Yellen raises interest rates to a modest number, say 5% from it's current near zero? Add in the state employee pension disasters across the country and we have a looming crisis.

My preference is for a candidate that will not enlarge the size, scope and reach of the state(s) and federal government. That "might" not be Trump, but it's definitely not HRC.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,978
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:10 am
Location: Allegheny National Forest

Re: The Election

Postby dagny on Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:24 pm

:pop:
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,166
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:06 pm
Location: 68 who?

Re: The Election

Postby ShaPe on Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:40 am

I have a question for you in the states. Why is the voting % so low? I can honestly not understand it. Is it because its on a normal working day or you have to register?
Here we just go to the polling station show our ID and vote. No registration is required before hand.
ShaPe
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,122
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:32 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: The Election

Postby Zarovich on Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:24 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:@Zaro

So a vote for Trump is a vote for white power? Is that what you are saying? But a vote for Clinto is not a vote for white power?


About as close as it gets. White men are the demographic that are losing the most so of course they want to make America great again. Maybe America could be greater than ever if we gave everyone equal footing. As a white man, I know I have advantages others do not. I am willing to admit it and that isn't fair. The slogan Trump uses implies I am wrong.
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,923
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:50 pm
Location: Waiting for the write-up...

Re: The Election

Postby Zarovich on Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:26 am

Humperdink wrote:The richest in South America was Venezuela. Today, they are flat broke. Can't even afford to import toilet tissue. Amazingly, they still have the highest crude oil reserves in the world. Their highest denominated currency was the 100 Bolivar, worth about 8 cents. They recently created a new "highest" denominated currency - the 20,000 Bolivar, worth $15 bucks. What happened? In the heretofore wealthy country, the government decided it would run everything, control everything (read: price controls), offer free everything. They have free health care, but band aids are scarce.

The richest country in North America is the United States. It is $20 trillion in debt. We have a candidate offering free college. We will have national healthcare as Obamacare will crumble under it's own weight, which was the plan all along. That will add to the debt in large measure.

Hmm, I wonder happens to federal budget when Janet Yellen raises interest rates to a modest number, say 5% from it's current near zero? Add in the state employee pension disasters across the country and we have a looming crisis.

My preference is for a candidate that will not enlarge the size, scope and reach of the state(s) and federal government. That "might" not be Trump, but it's definitely not HRC.


Quit giving money to foreign governments and fighting wars we shouldn't be in. That will save some money.....
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,923
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:50 pm
Location: Waiting for the write-up...

Re: The Election

Postby Zarovich on Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:29 am

ShaPe wrote:I have a question for you in the states. Why is the voting % so low? I can honestly not understand it. Is it because its on a normal working day or you have to register?
Here we just go to the polling station show our ID and vote. No registration is required before hand.


Registration is required so the two party system can control who runs for office. If you don't register as a democrat or republican, most times your votes only count in the general election because those two parties control the primaries which picks the candidates who run in the general election.
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,923
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:50 pm
Location: Waiting for the write-up...

Re: The Election

Postby Humperdink on Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:58 am

I am hoping Trump wins if for no other reason than to see these celebs leave the country.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,978
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:10 am
Location: Allegheny National Forest

Re: The Election

Postby lemieuxReturns on Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:18 am

The epic meltdown of the left will be the real show. CNN 'journalists' will openly cry on live tv. Comey will reverse his reversed decision with the new knowledge that Clinton will not bail him out. California will file secession papers. Entire NFL teams will begin kneeling to empty stadiums.
lemieuxReturns
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,923
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:00 am

Re: The Election

Postby Jim on Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:29 am

Humperdink wrote:@Jim. I've read your other posts, you are an intelligent guy. In your opinion, what would Trump do that would negatively impact the country, short term and long term?


Intelligent is a stretch.

Heavily simplified versions of arguments for demonstration purposes only:
He is not going to be able to do any of the things that he says without completely contradicting something else that he says. How is he going to bring back industry when the industry is gone, not just closed, but gone? All of the infrastructure will need to be rebuilt and unless you intend to pay $100 for a pair of underwear where is the funding for that going to come from? The Govt? But he said he is going to lower taxes so that ain't it. He blasts Clinton for sending troops to war yet he preaches war mongering. How is he going to impose his will on other countries with sending troops places? Sitting cross armed with persed lips ain't going to do it. He is used to simply not paying contractors and then sicking lawyers on them to shut them up. Is he just going to tell China that we aren't going to pay them their deficit and then try to bog them in litigation until they run out of money to fight it? And saying "believe me" does not make a statement true.

I don't even like Clinton. Notice that I do not actually defend her at all. Frankly, I would probably rather vote for YOU to be president over the two of them. Trump is just... no!
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,632
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: The Election

Postby shoeshine boy on Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:24 am

did I hear correctly this morning that Pennsylvania does NOT have early voting?
if that's true why not? I voted over 2 weeks ago here in GA. it took a grand total of >10 minutes and most of that time was walking the long hall to the voting machines and waiting for poll workers to mark me off.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,669
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:44 am
Location: me, 3 years Super League

Re: The Election

Postby Humperdink on Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:42 am

shoeshine boy wrote:did I hear correctly this morning that Pennsylvania does NOT have early voting?
if that's true why not? I voted over 2 weeks ago here in GA. it took a grand total of >10 minutes and most of that time was walking the long hall to the voting machines and waiting for poll workers to mark me off.


Pennsylvanians prefer to have their electronic voting machines hacked all on the same day. :D ( I kid .... for now)
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,978
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:10 am
Location: Allegheny National Forest

Re: The Election

Postby lemieuxReturns on Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:32 pm

Can this day go any slower?
lemieuxReturns
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,923
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:00 am

Re: The Election

Postby Humperdink on Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:36 pm

Voted mid-morning to avoid the zoo. It was more crowded than I have ever seen it.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,978
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:10 am
Location: Allegheny National Forest

Re: The Election

Postby lemieuxReturns on Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:02 pm

I am reading things online that say the election isn't even close but the CNNs and Foxs make it sound close for ratings.
lemieuxReturns
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,923
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:00 am

Next

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


e-mail