Let's talk about music

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Let's talk about music

Postby FreeCandy44 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:52 pm

God....why are me first and the gimme gimmies so damn good?
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby legame on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:25 pm

Kraftster wrote:
legame wrote:
Kraftster wrote:Digging the new Bad Books album.

Go on...

Hmm, well, I'd say I still like the Divine tracks better for the most part, but I think I like the Hull tracks a lot more on this album than the last. Almost get a bit of an MMJ/Jim James feel from some of Hull's songs on this one.

Andy's vocals have been getting progressively more Kermit/Jim James esque over the last few albums, so I'm not surprised. How politically leaning are KDev's lyrics? That's one of the only things that bothers me about his stuff sometimes.
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ben Klingston on Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:50 pm

Anyone else going to The Who show at Consol next Sunday? I'm going in cautiously pessimistic... I've heard Roger's pipes are worn out, but am psyched to hear one of the all-time seminal rock albums (Quadrophenia) live. The following wkd, I'm going to see Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin experience at Carnegie Music Hall. It's going to be tribute to the 70's week 8-)
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:20 am

I saw Jason Bonham last year in Greensburg. It was a good show. A lot of visuals and the band was tight. You'll enjoy the show for sure. He even drums along with his dad during one song.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:13 am

Been watching this for the last hour: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foo_Fighte ... _and_Forth

Thought it was only an hour. It's two. I hit the DVR to cover the rest, but I kinda want to finish watching it. I also don't want to be up til 2.

Decisions.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FreeCandy44 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:15 am

JS© wrote:Been watching this for the last hour: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foo_Fighte ... _and_Forth

Thought it was only an hour. It's two. I hit the DVR to cover the rest, but I kinda want to finish watching it. I also don't want to be up til 2.

Decisions.

Love this....but man did Dave give William Goldsmith the shaft. Colour and the shape is my favorite Foo's album. I'm bored.....color our world blackened..
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby legame on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:31 am

Listened to Bad Books II during my run earlier. It gets better as it mellows out towards the end, IMO.
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby canaan on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:14 am

http://diffuser.fm/postal-service-give-up-platinum/

postal service - give up (2003) just went platinum for the first time almost 10 years after it was released.

its not a big deal outside of indie labels, but cool nonetheless. one of my favorite albums of all time. of all time.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:19 am

canaan wrote:http://diffuser.fm/postal-service-give-up-platinum/

postal service - give up (2003) just went platinum for the first time almost 10 years after it was released.

its not a big deal outside of indie labels, but cool nonetheless. one of my favorite albums of all time. of all time.

Think if he shows up at Zooey's doorstep with the platinum album she'll take him back?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JS© on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:24 am

FreeCandy44 wrote:
JS© wrote:Been watching this for the last hour: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foo_Fighte ... _and_Forth

Decisions.

Love this....but man did Dave give William Goldsmith the shaft. Colour and the shape is my favorite Foo's album. I'm bored.....color our world blackened..

Stayed up til 1:30, crashed on the couch and caught another 10 min I think. Made it to the part about playing Wembley.

Self titled CD might be my favorite. Probably one of the few CDs - not just Foo CDs but any CD - that I can do end to end without fast forwarding/skipping any tracks.

And yeah, Goldsmith got the shaft.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:07 pm

JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:21 pm

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby JS© on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:22 pm

JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:54 pm

Does Eide's still sell music?
I started buying records (of the vinyl LP variety) there when I was about 16.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby JS© on Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:00 pm

I was in there last year, and either the place is smaller than I remember or they got rid of a lot of record/CD bins.

The basement is still comic book stuff, and I think there's a third floor that's also full of comic book-anime stuff.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ben Klingston on Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:39 pm

JS© wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:

Decisions.

Stayed up til 1:30, crashed on the couch and caught another 10 min I think. Made it to the part about playing Wembley.

Self titled CD might be my favorite. Probably one of the few CDs - not just Foo CDs but any CD - that I can do end to end without fast forwarding/skipping any tracks.

And yeah, Goldsmith got the shaft.

I went out and bought both the Blu-Ray of Back and Forth as well as the BluRay for their Wembley show after I watched Back and Forth on Palladia one night... it's great. It is very close to being as good as Tom Petty & Heartbreakers' Runnin Down a Dream by Pete Bogdanovich, which is my all-time favorite, and I think ridiculously comprehensive, rock band documentary. Pearl Jam 20 is a close 2nd. It is almost 4 hrs, which is tough to sit through if you aren't a real big Petty fan, but I've had lots of folks tell me that who weren't big fans. Favorite music DVDs in general are The Band's Last Waltz and RHCP at Slane Castle.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JS© on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:35 pm

^^^^
I never knew I had that channel until last night. I read up on it and was gonna make the comment along the lines of "this is what MTV is supposed to be", but like MTV they started phasing out music videos in the AM.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby legame on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:35 pm

canaan wrote:http://diffuser.fm/postal-service-give-up-platinum/

When is he going to realize people care about a possible follow-up infinitely more than his lame new solo album?
legame
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:52 am

Is Led Zeppelin too mainstream for this thread? This is from their 2007 reunion concert, which will be out on DVD/BluRay later this month:

Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:16 pm

Been really into these guys the last couple days.

Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:55 pm

Also enjoy this guy's album.

Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Geezer on Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:44 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhOKhJaM1QE
Did any of you know Kenny Rogers was psychodelic before he went country?
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Batman on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:31 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:

Decisions.

I felt bad, really bad watching this about William.

However

You simply cannot deny that album's brilliance. Everlong, is one of my favorite tunes, period. Dave unfortunately did what was right musically, and probably professionally. When making an album, especially that good, some people's feelings are going to be hurt, and unfortunately, it was William.
Batman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:00 pm

The Civil Wars are on Austin City Limits tonight.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:59 pm

Half hourish Bad Religion interview. Said there's a new album coming out (True North, obviously named after the Winnipeg Jets' ownership group ;) ) on January 22nd.

edit: interview includes an f bomb in the first two minutes, might want to hold off on listening to this one at work.

edit II: "LEEEEEEEEEROY JEEEEEEEEEENNNNNKINS reference at 8:53"
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR