Let's talk about music

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Let's talk about music

Postby Factorial on Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:14 pm

To celebrate his new 9 cd set of piano works, some "classic" Jandek:



http://www.corwoodindustries.com/
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,820
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: In Heaven, Everything is fine.

Re: Let's talk about music

Postby Godric on Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:15 am

you guys should listen to this song... you'll like it.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqCiypn2ZGA
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,240
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am
Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Re: Let's talk about music

Postby cma3585 on Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:51 pm

While these guys started off very much as a nu-metalish band...this song is probably my favorite non metal or classic rock tune. The entire album is on par with this, though this is definitely a standout. So few ever heard of them and it's a damn shame.

cma3585
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,439
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:17 pm
Location: Chippewa

Re: Let's talk about music

Postby FreeCandy44 on Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:58 pm

Contemplating taking my gf to Baltimore to see A7X, Deftones, and Ghost. She only really likes the Deftones and she is slowing growing on Ghost. I wish the Deftones and Ghost would just come to Pittsburgh.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,854
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: Insert Witty Comment Here

Re: Let's talk about music

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:19 am

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 40,523
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Jay Landsman's cookie jar

Re: Let's talk about music

Postby FrozenNuts on Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:04 am

FreeCandy44 wrote:Contemplating taking my gf to Baltimore to see A7X, Deftones, and Ghost. She only really likes the Deftones and she is slowing growing on Ghost. I wish the Deftones and Ghost would just come to Pittsburgh.


Ghost puts on a great show. They closed out MDF a few years ago and I really enjoyed it having not listened to much Ghost prior. Their theatrics make it all worthwhile!
FrozenNuts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:27 am

Re: Let's talk about music

Postby FreeCandy44 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:33 am

Ive been playing the new Ghost album non stop.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,854
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: Insert Witty Comment Here

Re: Let's talk about music

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:34 am

Is that Ghost from Japan or another band with the same name?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 45,342
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Let's talk about music

Postby FreeCandy44 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:38 am

columbia wrote:Is that Ghost from Japan or another band with the same name?

FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,854
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: Insert Witty Comment Here

Re: Let's talk about music

Postby FrozenNuts on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:03 pm

FreeCandy44 wrote:
columbia wrote:Is that Ghost from Japan or another band with the same name?


Lets post some from their first album just because..well..its awesome.

FrozenNuts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:27 am

Re: Let's talk about music

Postby Gaucho on Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:33 pm

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 40,523
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Jay Landsman's cookie jar

Re: Let's talk about music

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:36 pm

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 45,342
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Let's talk about music

Postby skullman80 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:35 pm

Forgot how awesome this entire album was....

skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,571
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: Let's talk about music

Postby FreeCandy44 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:16 pm

columbia wrote:

I found this very enjoyable.
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,854
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:55 pm
Location: Insert Witty Comment Here

Re: Let's talk about music

Postby FrozenNuts on Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:39 am

skullman80 wrote:Forgot how awesome this entire album was....


I was always a fan of their earlier stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srWQuU-AM_I

Kind of crappy quality though...
FrozenNuts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:27 am

Re: Let's talk about music

Postby viva la ben on Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:21 am

Here's a track from the upcoming Sebadoh album Defend Yourself
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,876
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:45 am
Location: Location: Location

Re: Let's talk about music

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:22 am

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 40,523
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Jay Landsman's cookie jar

Re: Let's talk about music

Postby cma3585 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:43 am

skullman80 wrote:Forgot how awesome this entire album was....



Have you checked out their latest, Equilibrium? It's their best album since this one by far.

cma3585
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,439
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:17 pm
Location: Chippewa

Re: Let's talk about music

Postby BigMcK on Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:53 pm

From those of us that remember MTV when the "M" stood for music, and wonder why they stop playing videos, Kennedy was on local radio with an answer.

In the early years, viewers were willing to watch all sorts of videos even from music styles or artists they may not like, but as the channel matured and then started playing the same videos over-and-over from a single genre, viewers would turn the channel on, become frustrated at the singular offering and not tune back for a few hours in hopes of seeing a video they liked. Management figured that they needed to find a way to keep viewers tuned in for at least 30 minutes at a time so they wouldn't lose out on revenue dollars from commercials and since MTV could no longer keep viewers tuned in, they were forced to switch to produced shows. They also had noticed that radio station websites were offering videos that a person could view instantly, so their video channel was no longer viable media.

So, long story short, Radio (and MTV hitching their wagon to a singular genre) killed the Video Channel. Not the other way around.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,986
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:23 pm
Location: Are you there, yet?

Re: Let's talk about music

Postby BigMcK on Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:11 am

FreeCandy44 wrote:
columbia wrote:

I found this very enjoyable.


Very, very enjoyable and entertaining. What drummer wouldn't love to play ice drums in a chiller? Wondering if this was for a video to showcase??? Thanks to columbia for the post.

Spoiler:
Realizing that the lugs are similar to marching drums, yeah, you understand the ice shell is sturdy enough to absorb the impact. Ice cymbals? No longer offered in my recent Zildjan catalog. Ludwig should reintroduce the 'clear shell'.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,986
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:23 pm
Location: Are you there, yet?

Re: Let's talk about music

Postby cma3585 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:26 pm

New Trivium song. They yet again succeed at putting out something they haven't done before.

cma3585
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,439
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:17 pm
Location: Chippewa

Re: Let's talk about music

Postby cma3585 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:38 pm

BigMcK wrote:From those of us that remember MTV when the "M" stood for music, and wonder why they stop playing videos, Kennedy was on local radio with an answer.

In the early years, viewers were willing to watch all sorts of videos even from music styles or artists they may not like, but as the channel matured and then started playing the same videos over-and-over from a single genre, viewers would turn the channel on, become frustrated at the singular offering and not tune back for a few hours in hopes of seeing a video they liked. Management figured that they needed to find a way to keep viewers tuned in for at least 30 minutes at a time so they wouldn't lose out on revenue dollars from commercials and since MTV could no longer keep viewers tuned in, they were forced to switch to produced shows. They also had noticed that radio station websites were offering videos that a person could view instantly, so their video channel was no longer viable media.

So, long story short, Radio (and MTV hitching their wagon to a singular genre) killed the Video Channel. Not the other way around.


Yeah, this seemed like quite an avoidable problem if they, god forbid, played all genres of music that were making videos at the time.
cma3585
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,439
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:17 pm
Location: Chippewa

Re: Let's talk about music

Postby cma3585 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:52 pm

This is sincerely one of the funniest articles I have read in a long time. It's NSFW b/c it's just Ghostface Killah blasting guys but if you ever had a soft spot for Wu at any point and don't like what the current rap scene is, you'll be in tears reading this.

http://rapsandhustles.com/2011/05/11/gh ... -the-game/
cma3585
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,439
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:17 pm
Location: Chippewa

Re: Let's talk about music

Postby Froggy on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:54 pm

cma3585 wrote:This is sincerely one of the funniest articles I have read in a long time. It's NSFW b/c it's just Ghostface Killah blasting guys but if you ever had a soft spot for Wu at any point and don't like what the current rap scene is, you'll be in tears reading this.

http://rapsandhustles.com/2011/05/11/gh ... -the-game/

"Son probably rocks cereal jewelry." lost it right about there.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,490
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: Let's talk about music

Postby columbia on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:55 pm

I've intentionally never heard mac miller, but that sounds about right.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 45,342
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

PreviousNext

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Eismann and 6 guests

e-mail