Let's talk about music

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Let's talk about music

Postby columbia on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:51 am

Factorial wrote:
columbia wrote:Oh, but this isn't new for Jack White.....

Billy Childish hits back at Jack White
http://www.nme.com/news/billy-childish- ... oats/22394

Billy Childish wrote:It all smacks of jealousy to me. I have a bigger collection of hats, a better moustache, a more blistering guitar sound and a fully developed sense of humour. The only thing I can’t understand is why I’m not rich.

:lol:

Hey I did my part: I have about 25 of his 100 albums on vinyl.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:56 am

Factorial wrote:Jack White's wife gets retraining order against him. Here's the interesting part:

According to the restraining order, Elson alleges that White went so far as to demand she request the kids be pulled from a class at their private school, because he didn't want them attending class with the child of another entertainer he believes "ripped off" his music. In a similar incident, the report also claims that an angered White harassed Elson for attending the wedding of a second "rival musician," who he believes also "ripped off" his music, and who is not named in the order.

Jack White and most rock musicians make their living off of "ripping off" other's music.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... z2aow7GU1M

Who would want to rip off The White Stripes? I mean, is it really stealing if it's only a 4/4 kick drum beat with a 2 riff transition?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FrozenNuts on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:58 am

GSdrums87 wrote:It's more of having one too many of these conversations in my life:

I rarely talk to people about music just because of this. Instead, I listen to what I like and discuss it with people who also enjoy it.
FrozenNuts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:59 am

Yeah but to say The Beatles are garbage is kinda off the deep end. I can't stand Bruce Springsteen but I won't say his music is garbage.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GSdrums87 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:00 am

See, for almost everything in my life, I LOVE to hear another person's side. They could change my mind, but most times they won't. But the point of it is to give you a different perspective, and maybe hear a point you've never heard before. It either helps your side and defend it better, or helps you be more sympathetic to the other side.

But music, man, I know what I like, don't even start in on me.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GSdrums87 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:01 am

PensFanInDC wrote:Yeah but to say The Beatles are garbage is kinda off the deep end. I can't stand Bruce Springsteen but I won't say his music is garbage.

I will 100% stand behind my statement. When their sound enters my ears, it's a mashing cats in a burlap sack. But that's just me. I totally respect what they did for rock and music and general. But man do I hate their music.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:11 am

I don't know man, the beatles and rolling stones have so much stuff out there. I know alot of the songs are plenty unlistenable....but when you hear street fighting man or gimme shelter, you think garbage?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GSdrums87 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:14 am

I do, man. I think it's the mindset I was brought up under. My dad was an 80's metalhead, and was pretty much like "**** this hair metal, this old garbage, everything. All you need is Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and Metallica." So from my childhood on they were always perceived as overrated. But I've went in older, with a clear mind, and tried to listen to them now, with a much broader musical spectrum. Still unenjoyable to me.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FrozenNuts on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:18 am

I'm with GS - I simply cannot listen to a majority of the Stones or the Beatles catalog. It does absolutely nothing for me.
FrozenNuts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:18 am

Child abuse
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GSdrums87 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:20 am

PensFanInDC wrote:Child abuse

Sister LOVES The Beatles, she was brought up and let to do as she pleased. But my dad DJ'd in State College late at night playing Metallica before anybody knew who they were. So I was the prodigal son, and he'd be damned if he let my mind be poisoned with pop music and that damned hippity hop.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:23 am

So you're a Metallica fan?
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:24 am

PensFanInDC wrote:So you're a Metallica fan?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:25 am

I never really cared for the Beatles. They have a few great songs and a lot of crap.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:28 am

I don't care for the Beatles much either. That said, I would not call them "garbage," which to me implies a lack of ability/talent/quality within their genre.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:29 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I never really cared for the Beatles. They have a few great songs and a lot of crap.

I think that's the case with any band that has an extensive catalogue.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GSdrums87 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:30 am

I am absolutely NOT a Metallica fan.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:31 am

That's a shame
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:32 am

Troy Loney wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I never really cared for the Beatles. They have a few great songs and a lot of crap.

Except for Silverchair.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Factorial on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:32 am

PensFanInDC wrote:Child abuse

It's certainly sad I would say. I was fortunate to be exposed to all types of music from the 50's and 60's growing up. And to only metal? Blech. That's like only ever eating pigs feat.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby GSdrums87 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:32 am

Their stuff dried up quick with me. New stuff obviously, but I've heard all their songs too much and I don't enjoy them anymore.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Factorial on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:33 am

PensFanInDC wrote:
Factorial wrote:Jack White's wife gets retraining order against him. Here's the interesting part:

According to the restraining order, Elson alleges that White went so far as to demand she request the kids be pulled from a class at their private school, because he didn't want them attending class with the child of another entertainer he believes "ripped off" his music. In a similar incident, the report also claims that an angered White harassed Elson for attending the wedding of a second "rival musician," who he believes also "ripped off" his music, and who is not named in the order.

Jack White and most rock musicians make their living off of "ripping off" other's music.

Who would want to rip off The White Stripes? I mean, is it really stealing if it's only a 4/4 kick drum beat with a 2 riff transition?

Music doesn't need to be complex to be good. Go listen to 70's progressive rock (which I do like) if that is your main criteria of what is good.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FrozenNuts on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:35 am

Metallica is typically gateway metal, at least it used to be prior to 1991. It opened the door just enough to get a taste of it. If you wanted to dig deeper there was an entire world of metal to sift through.
FrozenNuts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:36 am

Troy Loney wrote:

I think the Rolling stones have a few great songs and a lot of good songs. Zeppelin has a few albums that are virtually exclusively great songs and almost all of their albums have several real good songs. Those would be most people's big 3. I never understand how the Beatles come out as the #1 for so many people.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:37 am

Factorial wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:

Music doesn't need to be complex to be good. Go listen to 70's progressive rock (which I do like) if that is your main criteria of what is good.

No no no...don't get me wrong. Complexity does not make good music. I just remember their first 2 hits were the same exact 4/4 kick drum beat. I made my mind up right there. However, after watching "It Might Get Loud" my respect for Jack White went WAY up.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NHR