Ovechkin benched.

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby kovyman1127 on Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:57 pm

OMG:

Here we go:

"Ovechkin seems obsessed with it" is what you said re: the Calder...I want to see you back that up.......I"m still waiting.


"how can you possibly say you prefer to have a selfish player, no matter how talented, over a guy of similar talent who has never shown he's anything but a team player?"

Really? SO SC really showed he was a team player by consistently taking bad penalties for yapping? You could make the arguement either way....AO puts up more points on a "less" talented team..


"He was benched the other night because HE WASN'T a team player. "

Right...and MT should have benched Crosby for not being a team player in his yapping penalties...


"I'll grant you that AO has a better +/- but his plus minus is certainly not because he camps out on the red-line during a power play.[/quote] "

Thanks for proving my point for the other guy....


You guys are thinking that, because AO was benched (and MT hasn't benched SC for yapping) that his PROVES AO isn't a team player...which is nonsense.

Follow the bouncing ball....
kovyman1127
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:45 pm

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:02 pm

kovyman1127 wrote:OMG:

Here we go:

"Ovechkin seems obsessed with it" is what you said re: the Calder...I want to see you back that up.......I"m still waiting.


"how can you possibly say you prefer to have a selfish player, no matter how talented, over a guy of similar talent who has never shown he's anything but a team player?"

Really? SO SC really showed he was a team player by consistently taking bad penalties for yapping? You could make the arguement either way....AO puts up more points on a "less" talented team..


"He was benched the other night because HE WASN'T a team player. "

Right...and MT should have benched Crosby for not being a team player in his yapping penalties...


"I'll grant you that AO has a better +/- but his plus minus i"

Thanks for proving my point for the other guy....


You guys are thinking that, because AO was benched (and MT hasn't benched SC for yapping) that his PROVES AO isn't a team player...which is nonsense.

Follow the bouncing ball....


You change your statements to suit your needs:

1) YOU said AO never mentioned the Calder

Admit you're wrong. That's a simple proven fact and not an opinion.


2) You said you couldn't believe "in this day and age of the NHL systems, where you have seen AO do that?"

Wrong again.

You're going to keep being mealy mouthed and keep changing your position on the fly...

You're a piece of work.
Last edited by ExPatriatePen on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,719
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Pitts on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:03 pm

kovyman1127 wrote:Ummm...no....I'm pointing out your biases toward the "hometown team" (namely Crosby) and you guys don't like it.

I don't mind discussion (that's what LGP is for)....but for you guys to post crap like this on this board, without facts backing it up, is poor "blogmanship."


You really need to chill dude. Seriously. If you hadn't noticed...THIS IS A PEN'S FAN BOARD. Not an I love Alexander board. And, you are COMPLETELY wrong about my hometown biased. But, I wouldn't expoect you to know that since you just started posting on this baord a few days ago. And, lastly, the term "blogmanship", whatever the hell that means, doesn't apply to a message forum to post meaningless fan talk. Settle down. Isn't your lunch period over yet?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,352
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Postby Pitts on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 pm

kovyman1127 wrote:"Maybe because Crosby actually tries to play defense, while AO stands at the redline waiting for breakaways to pad his goal totals"

Again...where is the proof?? Show me links to the game, in this day and age of the NHL systems, where you have seen AO do that?

I've watched TONS of Caps games this year...and I haven't seen him doing that at all.


You notice that little smiling emoticon? Read up on what it means.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,352
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Postby Jim on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:13 pm

kovyman1127 wrote:Really? SO SC really showed he was a team player by consistently taking bad penalties for yapping? You could make the arguement either way....AO puts up more points on a "less" talented team..


AO puts up more point because all he is interested in doing is putting up points, specifically goals. Which is why he often starts celebrating goals before the puck even goes in.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,420
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

heard it all...

Postby penny lane on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:15 pm

"poor blogmanship"

I've heard it all yet again... :P
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,473
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Summer sunshine heals!

Postby Jim on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:18 pm

""Ovechkin seems obsessed with it" is what you said re: the Calder...I want to see you back that up.......I"m still waiting."

Where's yer link! Show me a link! It ain't true unless you show me a link! cough...


"Right...and MT should have benched Crosby for not being a team player in his yapping penalties..."

Irrelevant. The fact is that MT hasn't, while Washington's coach has.


"You guys are thinking that, because AO was benched (and MT hasn't benched SC for yapping) that his PROVES AO isn't a team player...which is nonsense."

I would put a lot of weight in AO's COACH saying AO isn't a team player... in proving that AO isn't much of a team player.

Talk about nonsense!


"Follow the bouncing ball..."

Maybe if you stopped playing with your ball and started watching hockey...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,420
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Postby Jim on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:23 pm

kovyman1127 wrote:"Maybe because Crosby actually tries to play defense, while AO stands at the redline waiting for breakaways to pad his goal totals"

Again...where is the proof?? Show me links to the game, in this day and age of the NHL systems, where you have seen AO do that?

I've watched TONS of Caps games this year...and I haven't seen him doing that at all.



Oh my GOD! I was joking earlier but he actually demanded links... that CLASSIC!

If you have watched TONS of Caps games... then maybe you need a new tv. I have watched AO live 8 times and watched... maybe 10 more on tv. He is always trying to get the break and rarely looking to backcheck or cover at all. Only in the final 5 minutes of the game does he get physical and try to do anything but score a goal. Unless he doesn't have one yet where he will continue to try to cherrypick.

You might watch, but you do not see. Sort of the difference between hearing something and actually listening to it.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,420
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:26 pm

Jim wrote:
kovyman1127 wrote:"Maybe because Crosby actually tries to play defense, while AO stands at the redline waiting for breakaways to pad his goal totals"

Again...where is the proof?? Show me links to the game, in this day and age of the NHL systems, where you have seen AO do that?

I've watched TONS of Caps games this year...and I haven't seen him doing that at all.



Oh my GOD! I was joking earlier but he actually demanded links... that CLASSIC!

If you have watched TONS of Caps games... then maybe you need a new tv. I have watched AO live 8 times and watched... maybe 10 more on tv. He is always trying to get the break and rarely looking to backcheck or cover at all. Only in the final 5 minutes of the game does he get physical and try to do anything but score a goal. Unless he doesn't have one yet where he will continue to try to cherrypick.

You might watch, but you do not see. Sort of the difference between hearing something and actually listening to it.


Not only that Jim, but he was provided with those links and STILL has the nerve to argue the point.

That bouncing ball(s) of his is HUGE! ;-)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,719
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Pitts on Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:35 pm

Lord, forgive me. I don't know why I'm doing this, but I'll entertain the young'n...

kovyman1127 wrote:"Maybe because Crosby actually tries to play defense, while AO stands at the redline waiting for breakaways to pad his goal totals"

Again...where is the proof?? Show me links to the game, in this day and age of the NHL systems, where you have seen AO do that?


"But two incidents Monday brought the matter to a head. Eleven minutes into the middle period, with the Caps trying to kill a penalty, Ovechkin left the defensive zone and stood at the red line, apparently waiting for a breakaway pass instead of helping his teammates, creating through his absence a 5-on-3 disadvantage. Then, shortly thereafter, sources said, he ignored an order to come off the ice on a power play and stayed out instead of changing up."

Link: http://www.washtimes.com/sports/2006032 ... -8101r.htm

I posted that line in jest, in reference to the linked article with that specific quote. Does that satiate your desire for an actual link?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,352
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:03 pm

Pitts wrote:Lord, forgive me. I don't know why I'm doing this, but I'll entertain the young'n...

kovyman1127 wrote:"Maybe because Crosby actually tries to play defense, while AO stands at the redline waiting for breakaways to pad his goal totals"

Again...where is the proof?? Show me links to the game, in this day and age of the NHL systems, where you have seen AO do that?


"But two incidents Monday brought the matter to a head. Eleven minutes into the middle period, with the Caps trying to kill a penalty, Ovechkin left the defensive zone and stood at the red line, apparently waiting for a breakaway pass instead of helping his teammates, creating through his absence a 5-on-3 disadvantage. Then, shortly thereafter, sources said, he ignored an order to come off the ice on a power play and stayed out instead of changing up."

Link: http://www.washtimes.com/sports/2006032 ... -8101r.htm

I posted that line in jest, in reference to the linked article with that specific quote. Does that satiate your desire for an actual link?


I have a link to the same article earlier in the thread Pitts, but save your breath, it doesn;t seem as though he's interested in facts, just in his own opinion.

The view from B11 must be different than what the rest of us see.

By the way you'll get a kick out of this quote from January 31st.

"Ovechkin is better now...but I have a gut feeling Sid will be better in the long run"

Who do you think wrote that quote? Koveyman! :-)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,719
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Pitts on Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:21 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:I have a link to the same article earlier in the thread Pitts,

I know, I scarfed it! Thanks! :D
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,352
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Postby kovyman1127 on Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:56 pm

You really need to chill dude. Seriously. If you hadn't noticed...THIS IS A PEN'S FAN BOARD. Not an I love Alexander board.


You guys just can't admit that, currently, AO is better....you keep pulling out the "more complete player" bs...but your only evidence is his coach benching him....and the fact that AO was benched for something Mario Lemieux did the entire 1st half of his career. Fact is Crosby could have (maybe even should have) been benched for his mouthing and diving that has led to Penguin penalties...but don't DARE say anything negative about SC on a Pens board....I'm just stating the facts.

I wouldn't expoect you to know that since you just started posting on this baord a few days ago.


Wrong dude...I was on the old board too...again guys...CHECK YOUR FACTS!!



AO puts up more point because all he is interested in doing is putting up points,


Yeah...your right...putting up more points does SO much worse for a team that be a good leader and not score as many points.




Irrelevant. The fact is that MT hasn't, while Washington's coach has.


Irrelevant?? Ummm....no dude...if SC played for Washington...he might have gotten benched for his mouth...for you to even "try" to say this is irrelevant is silly.


If you have watched TONS of Caps games... then maybe you need a new tv. I have watched AO live 8 times and watched... maybe 10 more on tv. He is always trying to get the break and rarely looking to backcheck or cover at all. Only in the final 5 minutes of the game does he get physical and try to do anything but score a goal. Unless he doesn't have one yet where he will continue to try to cherrypick.


Again bro....in today's NHL, you cannot "cherrypick" as you say...if AO did that during a kill then he must have "thought" he could help his team with a shorthanded goal...he wasn't at center to get rest?? What I see in AO is him recieving the puck at the half boards in his own end and then flying up the ice. In "most" hockey systems...the defensive forwards play high anyway....you guys didn't seem to mind it when Mario did it the 1st half of his career.


By the way you'll get a kick out of this quote from January 31st.

"Ovechkin is better now...but I have a gut feeling Sid will be better in the long run"


I stand by my quote....I still believe that. Me having a "gut" feeling about the future doesn't mean I trash AO now (or has anything to do with this thread)...AO's the better player...and you guys either don't admit that...or make excuses for SC.
kovyman1127
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:45 pm

Postby kovyman1127 on Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:05 pm

Here's more example from the other "lets rip AO" thread quotes from you guys:

Ovechkin showing his true colors...


Now if Crosby could just pad his stats without whining, he'd be perfect!


Good for the Caps, and let this be a lesson to all of the young hot shots out there. You know who you are....


He is not trying to take the team into his own hands like a leader... From the games I have seen... I doubt he really cares about the rest of the team. He only has one thing in mind, and that is his point total. Now that is just my opion, so nobody go off on the typical "How do you know what he is thinking" bs...



You guys in this thread posted in THAT thread....yet you don't even admit your bias....
kovyman1127
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:45 pm

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:38 pm

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,719
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Jim on Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:45 pm

"Wrong dude...I was on the old board too...again guys...CHECK YOUR FACTS!!"

You do not seem real interested in facts... so why demand them from others?


"Irrelevant?? Ummm....no dude...if SC played for Washington...he might have gotten benched for his mouth..."

So now you go off on "might have"??? Might??? Once again... you rant about wanting FACTS and then use "might have" to support your argument? Are you for real? Am I on camera? Is Mr Funt here?


"for you to even "try" to say this is irrelevant is silly."

Someone knows ALL about posting silly stuff...


"Again bro....in today's NHL, you cannot "cherrypick" as you say"

First.. I ain't yer bro... bra... but it is actually EASIER to cherry pick in TODAYS NHL as the two line pass is gone. But then again... you don't seem to consider FACS in your side of the argument. Bro...


"...if AO did that during a kill then he must have "thought" he could help his team with a shorthanded goal..."

... or he could have done what his own COACH repeatedly told him to do... but then again... that would be bringing FACTS into it as opposed to "might have" and "must have" and all that jazz... bro...


"you guys didn't seem to mind it when Mario did it the 1st half of his career."

I constantly complained about Mario waiting for passes.... oh but wait... that wasn't while on the PK... agin... darn me for trying to bring FACTS into it... bro...


Bro...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,420
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Postby Jim on Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:47 pm

kovyman1127 wrote:You guys in this thread posted in THAT thread....yet you don't even admit your bias....


Are you like 12 or something?

Bro...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,420
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:54 pm

kovyman1127 wrote:Again bro....in today's NHL, you cannot "cherrypick" as you say...if AO did that during a kill then he must have "thought" he could help his team with a shorthanded goal...he wasn't at center to get rest??


Yeah, with his team down 4-1 at the time and his coach telling him repeatedly not to neglect his duties in his own end and to shorten his shift.

Sure he was getting rest, cause he refused to come off the ice like his coach TOLD him too!

But we're talking AO here and not someone who actually listens to his coach. :roll:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,719
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby kovyman1127 on Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:30 pm

More lessons for y'al:

You do not seem real interested in facts... so why demand them from others?


By not addressing this....you admit it that you guys aren't using logic....thank you. I'll pull out the Venn Diagrams for you guys later...

it is actually EASIER to cherry pick in TODAYS NHL as the two line pass is gone.


Bro...you don't see "more" cherry picking at the red line for breakaways now (unlike in the 80's and 90's) even though the 2 line pass is gone because "systems" don't allow for it man.

I constantly complained about Mario waiting for passes.... oh but wait... that wasn't while on the PK..


You're right...that's why Mario has the shorthanded goal record. He got that from playing down low on the penalty kill and clearing the puck out of the zone. Oh, wait a minute? that's from cherry picking on the penalty kill now isn't it???

You guys need to quit playing with THE FACTS and start looking ojectively at situations. My point of this ENTIRE thread was to make the point that you guys make excuses for SC, and rip AO because he isn't a Penguin.

Case in point from the other thread (these are YOUR QUOTES guys...not mine):


Here's more example from the other "lets rip AO" thread quotes from you guys:

Quote:
Ovechkin showing his true colors...



Quote:
Now if Crosby could just pad his stats without whining, he'd be perfect!


Quote:
Good for the Caps, and let this be a lesson to all of the young hot shots out there. You know who you are....
kovyman1127
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:45 pm

Postby Pitts on Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:38 pm

Honestly, this will be the last time I respond in this thread. Take a breath and relax. Half of the quotes you are pulling together were said in jest, sarcastically. Can I ask you, do you know what that means? Find a dictionary and look it up.

You really have a thing for Alex, don't you? You went to a lot of effort to pull those last pieces together. I just scored a cool Fleer rookie card of his on eBay!
Last edited by Pitts on Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,352
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:38 pm

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

you're like the energizer bunny, you just keep going and going and going... it doesn't matter that you have no facts...

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,719
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby kovyman1127 on Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:41 pm

In all seriousness guys I love the debate here...

BUT....I hate when people on this board trash talk a person/player/coach JUST BECAUSE he isn't a Penguin.

FYI - If you go to the Capitals Messeage Board....they are saying the same things.....only in favor of AO.
kovyman1127
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:45 pm

Postby Pitts on Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:41 pm

Or, that anyone really cares! :shock:
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,352
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Postby kovyman1127 on Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:42 pm

I think it's great we have AO and SC.

Maybe this will get like the Lemieux/Gretzky rivalry in years to come...eh?
kovyman1127
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:45 pm

Postby kovyman1127 on Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:43 pm

Honestly, this will be the last time I respond in this thread.


You lied!!!
kovyman1127
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:45 pm

PreviousNext

Return to NPR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

e-mail