Problems continue with Lightning

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Problems continue with Lightning

Postby K2 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:47 pm

The similarities between them and the 05-06 team are indeed striking. Especially the Vrbata/Palffy parallel
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby bhaw on Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:23 am

TB is going to be the bargain bin of hockey when the trade deadline rolls around. The team as a whole is not very good, but some of the individual players have value to the right teams. I'd imagine the only guys off limits before the deadline are Stamkos and Vinny.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:13 pm

bhaw wrote:TB is going to be the bargain bin of hockey when the trade deadline rolls around. The team as a whole is not very good, but some of the individual players have value to the right teams. I'd imagine the only guys off limits before the deadline are Stamkos and Vinny.

Lets get all the former pens back...just because it would be funny.

(note: I dont actually want all the former Pens back)
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DocEmrick on Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:53 pm

Watching TB collapse as we all predicted before the pre-season, has not been as gratifying as I expected. Hell, if Malone wasn't on the team, I might actually feel a little bit of sympathy for the struggling club.

Melrose's comments on Stamkos not being ready for the NHL are intriguing. I guess things are incredibly shaken up down there. I'm interested to see who they bring in to coach, because either way their season is doomed. And isn't Mark Racchi third on the team with points? Ugh, what a mess.

EDIT: And what's even worse, is that they're only 2 points away from not being in last in their division.
DocEmrick
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby marek on Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:54 pm

wow! what a mess.
and the similarities with the pens are shocking...

but who can the pens send them for their first round pick in the next draft?!?!?!
which has a pretty great shot at being Tavares!
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Draftnik on Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:31 pm

It seems like the next act in the tragedy will be Koules and Barrie developing irreconcilable differences. Bucci basically gives Koules' side of the story blaming Barrie for everything but hiring Barry Melrose without the quotes:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=buccigross_john&id=3758465&campaign=rss&source=NHLHeadlines

It also is interesting that Koules' departure from Tampa is presented as a fait accompli. I've always thought Koules and Barrie would burn through $$$ for only 12-24 months before their undercapitalization became untenable, but recent reports have indicated Davidson is willing to loan them more $$$ just so he doesn't have to take the TBL back. The way this is portrayed with Koules' power allegedly being uncertain seems to imply that Barrie could force him out even though it seems like Barrie would have less $$$ than Koules.

My favorite quote comes from Barry Melrose:

Q: Take us through your emotional roller coaster. Did you cry at any point after you were fired?

A: I don't cry, so that's out of the question.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to NPR