Fantasy Hockey Results

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Fantasy Hockey Results

Postby bhaw on Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:29 am

I've noticed a lot of people reaching for Howard in early round this year.

Alfredsson before Hossa (not just you, but the entire league)?

In a 10 team league, it'd be nice to have a better goalie trio than Howard/Varly/Niemi, but the rest of your team is fairly solid. I never understand the Carcillo pick. I know he's PIMs, but I'd rather take guys like Perry, Backes, Downie, and even Hartnell who all actually put up points.

Just noticed... Dustin Brown in the 13th round? After Carcillo at that? Wow.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:30 am

I just picked up Khabi in the keeper league most of us are part of here... we'll see if he gets the #1 job considering the Oilers' other options suck.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:43 am

bhaw wrote:I just picked up Khabi in the keeper league most of us are part of here... we'll see if he gets the #1 job considering the Oilers' other options suck.

Isn't he going to jail?
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:03 am

bhaw wrote:I just picked up Khabi in the keeper league most of us are part of here... we'll see if he gets the #1 job considering the Oilers' other options suck.

I think he should be a safe pick this year... reports are he's been very solid in the pre-season (I got burned by him last year thanks to auto-pick). I expect a good deal of improvement out of Edmonton this year. That trio of kids they have look to have a great season.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ffemtreed on Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:07 am

bhaw wrote:I've noticed a lot of people reaching for Howard in early round this year.

Alfredsson before Hossa (not just you, but the entire league)?

In a 10 team league, it'd be nice to have a better goalie trio than Howard/Varly/Niemi, but the rest of your team is fairly solid. I never understand the Carcillo pick. I know he's PIMs, but I'd rather take guys like Perry, Backes, Downie, and even Hartnell who all actually put up points.

Just noticed... Dustin Brown in the 13th round? After Carcillo at that? Wow.

I was surprised Hossa was there, I already assumed he was picked when I got Alfie. I took Howard early because the few picks before me snapped up all the elite goalies like Brodeur, Luongo and etc. I figure Howard is on a good team so he should get decent wins and have a pretty good goals against. Playing with the Caps I figured Varly would at least get me wins. Niemi should be the same playing for the Sharks, hopefully he beats out Nittymaki and doesn't do split duty. I chose him because the Sharks have a very good knack for goalie talent and if they didn't think Niemi would be good they wouldn't have picked him up.

I had downie on my list but he was taken a pick or two before I got the chance, so I ended up with Carcillo. In the end I should have waited, but it was only my second live draft so I paniced when Downie got taken so Carcillo was my backup choice to downie and I didn't want him gone as well.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:39 am

Troy Loney wrote:

Isn't he going to jail?

Not known yet. The common thoughts are a)no, he won't because his lawyer is trying to get him off or b)if he does, he will manage to get it pushed to the off season. Considering he was a free pick (UFA) and all I had to do was drop Belanger who is Phoenix's 3rd center, it's a low risk pick up IMO. I selected Belanger thinking he was the Caps 2nd line center, which would have made him useful. As the 3rd line center on Phx, he's pretty useless fantasy wise.

At worst, I drop him and stick with Rask, Vokoun, and Luongo.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:26 pm

ffemtreed wrote:Here is my head to head yahoo league (10 teams)
(2C, 2LW, 2RW, 2D, 2 Util, 2 Goalie, 8 bench)
(G, A, +-, PIM, PPP, GWG, SOG, GAA, Sv%, Wins)

I had the fourth Pick

1. (4) Evgeni Malkin (Pit - C)
2. (17) Jimmy Howard (Det - G)
3. (24) Rick Nash (Cls - LW,RW)
4. (37) Bobby Ryan (Anh - C,LW)

5. (44) Dan Boyle (SJ - D)
6. (57) Daniel Alfredsson (Ott - RW)
7. (64) Marian Hossa (Chi - RW)
8. (77) Shea Weber (Nsh - D)
9. (84) Semyon Varlamov (Was - G)
10. (97) David Booth (Fla - LW)
11. (104) Teemu Selanne (Anh - RW)
12. (117) Dan Carcillo (Phi - LW)
13. (124) Dustin Brown (LA - RW)
14. (137) Jamie Langenbrunner (NJ - RW)
15. (144) Antti Niemi (SJ - G)
16. (157) Ryane Clowe (SJ - LW)
17. (164) Paul Martin (Pit - D)
18. (177) Jason Arnott (NJ - C)
19. (184) Jiri Hudler (Det - RW)
20. (197) Alex Steen (StL - C)

Your 2-4 picks are on my personal "don't touch list."
Howard is being drafted for his team. His skill level is mediocre at best. I won't take a guy like that as early as he is going.
Nash is perennially overrated in fantasy circles. LW is shallow so he's a fine player, but, I don't think he's third round material in a 10-team league.
Ryan is just a this year do not touch for me because I don't like the center experiment, he won't play on the top line, and Anaheim may be the worst team in the west.

That said, Hossa, Brown, Hudler, Martin, and Niemi were steals. I'm guessing this was an ESPN draft based upon where Brown went. I agree with bhaw that I'd prefer stronger tenders in a 10-team, but, you should be okay. Love drafts are fun, huh?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ffemtreed on Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:31 pm

Kraftster wrote:Your 2-4 picks are on my personal "don't touch list."
Howard is being drafted for his team. His skill level is mediocre at best. I won't take a guy like that as early as he is going.
Nash is perennially overrated in fantasy circles. LW is shallow so he's a fine player, but, I don't think he's third round material in a 10-team league.
Ryan is just a this year do not touch for me because I don't like the center experiment, he won't play on the top line, and Anaheim may be the worst team in the west.

That said, Hossa, Brown, Hudler, Martin, and Niemi were steals. I'm guessing this was an ESPN draft based upon where Brown went. I agree with bhaw that I'd prefer stronger tenders in a 10-team, but, you should be okay. Love drafts are fun, huh?

I took Nash and Ryan because of their dual position, esp left wing. I wanted Kovy but he was taken right before I picked Nash.

Your 100% correct about Howard, he is drafted for his team. I figure as long as he stays healthy he will be good!

PS -- yahoo league, not espn.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby cma3585 on Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:41 pm

Troy Loney wrote:who were your top 5 picks?

Stamkos
Bryzgalov
Ryan
Pronger
Anderson
?

Close...switch Pronger and Anderson. Then Eriksson 6th.
cma3585
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:02 pm

Draft results. 12 team league, big rosters, I had last pick. Pretty happy overall with my team. Last pick was a throw away cause I like having an open spot for waiver pick ups and roster moves.

Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby npv708 on Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:23 pm

Same league as Pavel Bure (12 team) and I had the 9th overall pick.

Bourque Chops

1. (9) Ilya Kovalchuk
2. (16) Mike Green
3. (33) Alexander Semin
4. (40) Bobby Ryan
5. (57) Jaroslav Halak
6. (64) Cam Ward
7. (81) Chris Stewart
8. (88) Alex Goligoski
9. (105) Taylor Hall
10. (112) Tobias Enstrom
11. (129) P.K. Subban
12. (136) Tyler Seguin
13. (153) Chris Kunitz
14. (160) Shane Doan
15. (177) Scott Gomez
16. (184) Kari Lehtonen
17. (201) Magnus Paajarvi
18. (208) Eric Tangradi
19. (225) Joni Pitkanen

I'm pretty pumped about this team.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:53 pm

12 Yahoo league. Didn't mean to pick Rinne so high, but I clicked a wrong button. I think I should be fine, though.

1. (3) Steven Stamkos C
2. (22) Eric Staal C
3. (27) Tuukka Rask G
4. (46) Marian Hossa RW
5. (51) Pekka Rinne G
6. (70) Shea Weber D
7. (75) Thomas Vanek LW
8. (94) Scott Hartnell LW
9. (99) Alex Goligoski D
10. (118) Steve Downie RW
11. (123) Tobias Enstrom D
12. (142) Alexander Edler D
13. (147) Brenden Morrow LW
14. (166) David Krejci C
15. (171) Martin Havlat RW
16. (190) Michal Neuvirth G
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby npv708 on Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:55 pm

Mongoose87 wrote:12 Yahoo league. Didn't mean to pick Rinne so high, but I clicked a wrong button. I think I should be fine, though.

1. (3) Steven Stamkos C
2. (22) Eric Staal C
3. (27) Tuukka Rask G
4. (46) Marian Hossa RW
5. (51) Pekka Rinne G
6. (70) Shea Weber D
7. (75) Thomas Vanek LW
9. (99) Alex Goligoski D
14. (166) David Krejci C

I'm not sold on Rask as the full-time starter, simply because of Thomas. He had a down year and if Rask struggles at all, I believe Julien wouldn't hesitate to pull the plug and Rinne in the 5th is a good pick. I friggin <3 Pekka Rinne.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:03 am

I have no confidence in Thomas, and the fact that Rask did so much better with the same team, and Thomas's fraud Vezina season (almost identical numbers to his backup, Fernandez) only solidify my view.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kraftster on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:21 am

Pavel Bure wrote:Draft results. 12 team league, big rosters, I had last pick. Pretty happy overall with my team. Last pick was a throw away cause I like having an open spot for waiver pick ups and roster moves.

Really don't like the Kubina and Kunble picks simply based upon what you took later. I'd take Brown, Clowe, and Whitney ahead of Kunble. Aside from that, I like your team. How many guys do you start?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:23 am

npv708 wrote:Same league as Pavel Bure (12 team) and I had the 9th overall pick.

Bourque Chops

1. (9) Ilya Kovalchuk
2. (16) Mike Green
3. (33) Alexander Semin
4. (40) Bobby Ryan
5. (57) Jaroslav Halak
6. (64) Cam Ward
7. (81) Chris Stewart
8. (88) Alex Goligoski
9. (105) Taylor Hall
10. (112) Tobias Enstrom
11. (129) P.K. Subban
12. (136) Tyler Seguin
13. (153) Chris Kunitz
14. (160) Shane Doan
15. (177) Scott Gomez
16. (184) Kari Lehtonen
17. (201) Magnus Paajarvi
18. (208) Eric Tangradi
19. (225) Joni Pitkanen

I'm pretty pumped about this team.

Love Green at 16. What a complete steal.
Lots of youth, so, that's perhaps too big a gamble in a one-year league that all those rookies put it together and have big seasons, but, overall I'm a big fan of the balance on your team. Lots of multi-cat guys, you should be pretty well balanced. Can't figure out how you got Ward and Halak that late!! Who are your centers,though? Does Bobby Ryan have center eligibility? If so, what a joke, he won't line up there one game this year it sounds like, but, nice for you because you look like you ignored center (which is fine, I do that all the time).
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:25 am

Mongoose87 wrote:12 Yahoo league. Didn't mean to pick Rinne so high, but I clicked a wrong button. I think I should be fine, though.

1. (3) Steven Stamkos C
2. (22) Eric Staal C
3. (27) Tuukka Rask G
4. (46) Marian Hossa RW
5. (51) Pekka Rinne G
6. (70) Shea Weber D
7. (75) Thomas Vanek LW
9. (99) Alex Goligoski D
14. (166) David Krejci C

No problem at all with Rinne at 51. I agree that I don't like Rask that early in a one-year league. I probably prefer Rinne in a one-year league, actually. Your 10-15 round picks???? What were those guys doing available?! Wow.

Also, two drafts on here with Goligoski ahead of Enstrom. You homers.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:56 am

Kraftster wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:Draft results. 12 team league, big rosters, I had last pick. Pretty happy overall with my team. Last pick was a throw away cause I like having an open spot for waiver pick ups and roster moves.

Really don't like the Kubina and Kunble picks simply based upon what you took later. I'd take Brown, Clowe, and Whitney ahead of Kunble. Aside from that, I like your team. How many guys do you start?

C,C,LW,RW,W,W,F,D,D,D,D,Utl,Utl,G,G

Knuble was mostly cause he'll be on the Caps top PP and feed +/-, Kubina was cause the D left were very short, I only had Markov at that point and he'll be QBing Tampa's PP feeding Stamkos and he'll bring some PIMs along with 40 points.

I was amazed Brown and Clowe were both still available where I took them. Whitney I waited on simply because all the mock drafts I did everyone forgot about him somehow.

The most surprising guy I got IMO was Marleau. Did not think a C with W availability that was a PPG and on one of the top squads in the league would drop to the 3rd round.

And I just got some even better news. Kesler will be playing on the top line and top PP with the Sedins. :thumb:
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kraftster on Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:02 am

Pavel Bure wrote:
Kraftster wrote:

C,C,LW,RW,W,W,F,D,D,D,D,Utl,Utl,G,G

Knuble was mostly cause he'll be on the Caps top PP and feed +/-, Kubina was cause the D left were very short, I only had Markov at that point and he'll be QBing Tampa's PP feeding Stamkos and he'll bring some PIMs along with 40 points.

I was amazed Brown and Clowe were both still available where I took them. Whitney I waited on simply because all the mock drafts I did everyone forgot about him somehow.

The most surprising guy I got IMO was Marleau. Did not think a C with W availability that was a PPG and on one of the top squads in the league would drop to the 3rd round.

And I just got some even better news. Kesler will be playing on the top line and top PP with the Sedins. :thumb:

Yeah, I didn't really realize it was 36 overall for Marleau. That is very surprising, you are right. Kesler will be a stud at 37 for you too.

I didn't realize Kubina was running the TB powerplay. I know they lost Foster, but I didn't figure it was Kubina's job. If so, then that's a good pick and I stand corrected.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:43 pm

This just in Michal Neuvirth to start the Caps season opener.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:02 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:This just in Michal Neuvirth to start the Caps season opener.

Solid pick up in my ESPN league then. And I hate Kraftster for grabbing him in our Yahoo league a couple picks before I planned on taking him.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:13 am

Pavel Bure wrote:This just in Michal Neuvirth to start the Caps season opener.

I can't get over how I got him with my last pick. So stoked to watch my buddy weep over Varlamov as his number 2.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby André on Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:10 am

What's up with Yahoo and the injury updates? Okposo is out until december but still no chance to put him on IR. Want to grab a guy from waivers tonight but it's not like I'm dropping Okposo because of those two months (keeper league).
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kraftster on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:24 am

There're better options than Yahoo! out there now, I wish people would leave the site so they improved their offerings and their IR ridiculousness. No excuse - a joke for them to still be failing like this.

<3 Neuvy. Own him in 2/3 keeper leagues, the only reason I don't in the other is because I talked him up so much to the GM that asked for advice when he acquired him that he now thinks he's untouchable. :( Still think he'll ultimately be the Caps long-term #1.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby André on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:28 am

Kraftster wrote:There're better options than Yahoo! out there now, I wish people would leave the site so they improved their offerings and their IR ridiculousness. No excuse - a joke for them to still be failing like this.

Seriously, better options?

Looking past the slow IR updates I love Yahoo.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to NPR