Jagr to BOS

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Jagr to PHI

Postby Tomas on Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:35 pm

Another Jagr's "Comeback" blog entry - and this time in English:

http://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/blogy-red ... t-die.html
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:21 am

Tomas wrote:Another Jagr's "Comeback" blog entry - and this time in English:

http://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/blogy-red ... t-die.html

I posted this photo in the Havel thread. Worth repeating:

Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Draftnik on Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:11 pm

Interesting Jagr story:

http://delcotimes.com/articles/2011/12/ ... =fullstory

And he has done this while mentoring a lot of the Flyers rookies and younger players and exhibited an unrivaled, off-ice work ethic.

“(Flyers assistant coach) Joey Mullen told me that Jaromir was a rink rat when he was younger,” Holmgren said. “He transferred that at this point of his career to the gym. He does a lot of workouts by himself. He wears weight belts, walks around with weights on his ankles and goes on the ice with a weight on his stick – he continually practices his shooting. We didn’t know about all that, but it’s set a really good example for all of our young guys about preparation for games and practices.”

Holmgren pointed out that following the Flyers second win of the season – a 3-0 shutout in New Jersey – Jagr took all the rookies into a room across the hall from the locker room after the game to do push ups and sit ups.

“He’s been great, terrific,” Holmgren said. “Are those adjectives? I don’t know how many I can use. Not only his play but the other things he’s brought to the table – leadership, dedication, his experience – the success we’ve had so far this season, a lot of it can be attributed to him.”

Jagr was always a great role model for other Pens players when it came to conditioning and constantly enhancing their hockey skills. I'm not surprised he can still play at a high level due to his professionalism.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:17 am

Jagr is under the radar, for the most part, and that's his spot. Got to be a lot of what's helping PHI.
Eismann
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pugilist13 on Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:32 am

F*** Jagr!
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Wrangler98 on Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:47 am

id still take him back
Wrangler98
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Juice on Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:02 am

YINZ LUV DAT YARRMEER YAWGER
Juice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lesky on Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:27 pm

Draftnik wrote:Interesting Jagr story:

http://delcotimes.com/articles/2011/12/ ... =fullstory

And he has done this while mentoring a lot of the Flyers rookies and younger players and exhibited an unrivaled, off-ice work ethic.

“(Flyers assistant coach) Joey Mullen told me that Jaromir was a rink rat when he was younger,” Holmgren said. “He transferred that at this point of his career to the gym. He does a lot of workouts by himself. He wears weight belts, walks around with weights on his ankles and goes on the ice with a weight on his stick – he continually practices his shooting. We didn’t know about all that, but it’s set a really good example for all of our young guys about preparation for games and practices.”

Holmgren pointed out that following the Flyers second win of the season – a 3-0 shutout in New Jersey – Jagr took all the rookies into a room across the hall from the locker room after the game to do push ups and sit ups.

“He’s been great, terrific,” Holmgren said. “Are those adjectives? I don’t know how many I can use. Not only his play but the other things he’s brought to the table – leadership, dedication, his experience – the success we’ve had so far this season, a lot of it can be attributed to him.”

Jagr was always a great role model for other Pens players when it came to conditioning and constantly enhancing their hockey skills. I'm not surprised he can still play at a high level due to his professionalism.

From my understanding in the Jagr thread many people were saying Jagr was a diva, lazy and a bad example for everyone during his 11-year Pens tenure. Which was it? Somewhere in between?

I was only 14 when Jagr was traded, and could not understand english well enough to follow the Penguins more than seing occasional games.
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tomas on Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:22 pm

Some Czech papers (most notably, "Sport" daily) were at the game yesterday. Today's articles are one never-ending anti-Penguins shadenfreude. :)

Here are some pictures snapped by "Sport" photographer:

Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:26 pm

Tomas wrote:

ROFLMFAOOMFGWTFBBQ
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby newarenanow on Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:21 pm

Those pics are funny as hell.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Lesky on Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:54 pm

Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Draftnik on Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:05 pm

Lesky wrote:From my understanding in the Jagr thread many people were saying Jagr was a diva, lazy and a bad example for everyone during his 11-year Pens tenure. Which was it? Somewhere in between?

I was only 14 when Jagr was traded, and could not understand english well enough to follow the Penguins more than seing occasional games.

Jagr wasn't lazy with the Pens. He worked harder than any Penguin I've seen (I've been following them since the mid 70s) to improve his existing skills and add new skills nearly every season. Even after he went to NYR he developed a lethal long range slap shot in his mid 30s. He was moody and had his ups and downs during the regular seasons, but at the end of every season his production was very consistent on a season over season basis. He was a pied piper for Euros. There were so many guys like Nedved, Straka, Kovalev, Lang, Slegr, etc that played their best NHL hockey with Jagr as their role model. He won 4 of his 5 Art Ross trophies without Mario and did it with crappy linemates like Jan Hrdina and Kip Miller. He was a warrior in the playoffs.

He definitely was lazy with the Caps.

The Flyers offered him more $$$ than the Pens so he signed with them. I don't harbor any ill will towards him for that decision.

He gave the Pens 11 great seasons. That is how I view him.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby profpolisci on Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:16 pm

I'm a big Jagr fan. 2nd best player I've ever seen
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:33 pm

profpolisci wrote:I'm a big Jagr fan.

In b4 "buT h0W B1g r U? lolderp".
Last edited by Physical_Graffiti on Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:37 pm

profpolisci wrote:I'm a big Jagr fan. 2nd best player I've ever seen

So which of these two are you discounting?

Mario

Or

Gretzky?

Cause there's no way that I put Jagr anywhere near either of those guys.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Why Not Us on Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:51 pm

Lesky wrote:Image

That's the lady who brings the inflatable beach toy penguin to every game. No wonder she'd make that sign, she used to wear Jagr Capital and Ranger jerseys when he played with those squads. Surprised she wasn't rocking a Flyer Jagr jersey.
Why Not Us
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tomas on Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:10 pm

The newest Jagr "Sazka" commercial:

"Win 'Sportka' [jackpot] and do only what you truly enjoy!"

Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lesky on Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:31 pm

Jagr injured again.

Missed a breakaway and in the 1st period and then got injured. Its the winter classic, so probably the groin again.
Lesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:50 pm

Lesky wrote:Jagr injured again.

Missed a breakaway and in the 1st period and then got injured. Its the winter classic, so probably the groin again.

I still stand by the statement that playing in the Winter Classic, with the distorted background and sight lines contributed to Crosby putting himself in a vulnerable situation. He had played how many games in the NHL and NEVER put himself in that kind of exposed situation.

The announcers today were saying as much about the players in the game today - having to adjust to depth perception and positioning in the rink etc. - because of the scale of everything. Add in vastly inferior lighting and also a soaking rain and wet ice that impact your hearing. You cannot hear your opponent coming on wet ice, just as you can hear them loudly on hard, crunchy ice. All of his senses, the senses of the Ferrari, are compromised by the environment that he had to play in.

If Jagr was in fact hurt on that joke of a sheet, then I hope that teams start pushing back on this marketing gimmick that is way too dangerous for the players.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rylan on Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:52 pm

that is why the winter classic should be the all star game if they are going to keep it.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Desiato on Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:04 pm

I don't have time to look it up at the moment, but didn't Jagr claim he couldn't play as a result of swelling from a spear taken during the game against the Pens?
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:18 pm

The Snapshot wrote:If Jagr was in fact hurt on that joke of a sheet, then I hope that teams start pushing back on this marketing gimmick that is way too dangerous for the players.

Jagr said the injury (to his leg/calf) occurred against Pittsburgh. It tightened up during the WC.
llipgh2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SoupOrSam on Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:26 pm

Me to Jagr:
Spoiler:
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby JS© on Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:37 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
profpolisci wrote:I'm a big Jagr fan. 2nd best player I've ever seen

So which of these two are you discounting?

Mario

Or

Gretzky?

Cause there's no way that I put Jagr anywhere near either of those guys.

it's possible that profpolisci never saw Gretzky live
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NPR