Overview and ranking of all NHL rosters

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Overview and ranking of all NHL rosters

Postby André on Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:58 am

My look on and rank of all rosters. Not sure about all positions (alot of guys are listed at center it seems) but have put together the line ups to get an overview. If nothing else it was fun and good for fantasy scouting =)

I think the first 12 teams are the ones with a legit shot at the cup (really going out on a limb :P). I’ve finished with how the conference standings would look if the teams finish according to my rank of the rosters.

Maybe we could make this a guess the standings thread.

1. Pittsburgh Penguins

Kunitz – Crosby – Dupuis
Neal – Malkin – Sullivan
Cooke – Staal – Kennedy
Asham – Letestu – Adams
Jeffrey, Tangradi, Williams, Johnson

Martin – Michalek
Orpik – Letang
Niskanen – Lovejoy
Engelland

Fleury
Johnson

Cap space 1.6 mil with Williams in the minors and 1 with him on the roster.

Wow. Sweet depth on forward and that’s with Jeffrey and Williams not even on a line. The centers are sick as ever but now they’ve got the wingers too. This is basically like last year but plus the additions of Neal and Sullivan (and who knows about Williams). Top four on D is as good as it gets and Fleury (knock on wood) seemed to find consistency last year. I think this is the strongest roster in the NHL and if healthy (especially the big three) they’re my bet for the cup. Yeah, I’m a fan, but I’m pretty confident I’m not too subjective in putting them first.

2. Vancouver Canucks

Sedin – Sedin – Burrows
Samuelsson – Kesler – Raymond
Sturm – Hodgson - Higgins
Lapierre - Malhotra – Hansen
Ebbet, Mancari

Bieksa – Hamhuis
Edler – Salo
Ballard – Alberts
Rome, Sulzer

Luongo
Schneider

Cap Space 3.9 mil.

Only team challenging the Pens forward depth in my opinion. In a way they match it (three scoring lines, one sweet all round fourth), but the Pens big two tips my ranking in their favour. Vancouver’s D even better than the Pens’ on paper though, with a stronger third pair and bench. Luongo still somewhat enigmatic but I don’t think he was their main problem in the finals. Their D was banged up. They lost significant top six depth in Samuelsson and Raymond, and Kesler and possibly H. Sedin was nursing injuries. I like how they didn’t change much. Their only loss is Ehrhoff but they didn’t even play Ballard in the finals and they’ve added Sturm plus Hodgson is a year older. Just like the Pens in 09 I can see them getting back into the finals and this time prevailing.

3. Washington Capitals

Ovechkin – Backstrom – Knuble
Semin – Laich – Brouwer
Ward – Johansson – Chimera
Hendricks – Halpern – King
Perrault

Green – Hamrlik
Wideman – Carlsson
Schultz – Alzner
Erskine, Poti

Vokoun
Neuvirth

Cap space -1 mil. But Poti will be on LTIR to start the season I guess.

What’s there to say really? They still haven’t gone far in the playoffs but this year should give them their best shot yet with Vokoun and even more depth than previously on D and on forward too I think. I hope they ”unleash” Ovechkin again, or, whatever the reasons for his slump were, that he pulls it together. I don’t want them winning the cup, but I want those sweet Backstrom and Ovy highlights =)

4. Boston Bruins

Lucic – Krejci – Horton
Seguin – Bergeron – Pouliot
Peverly – Marchand - Kelly
Paille – Thornton – Campbell
Savard, Hamill

Chara – Seidenberg
Ference – Corvo
Boychuk – McQuaid
Kampfer

Thomas
Rask

Cap space 8.7 mil before re-signing Marchand and promoting Hamill and Kampfer (not saying that’s certain to happen though).

Took liberties with the lineup. Guess that first line is the only one we’re very likely to see. Alot of centers so I guess someone’s got to move to wing. Gambling with Pouliot on the second line there. Is Savard expected to play? Overall very solid but I’m not that sold on their D after the first pair. Don’t see them repeating but they’re one of the teams with a shot of course.

5. San Jose Sharks

Marleau – Thornto – Clowe
Havlat – Pavelski - Couture
Mitchell – Handzus – McGinn
Ferriero – Murray – Desjardins

Boyle – Vlasic
Burns – Murray
Braun – Demers
Vandermeer, Moore

Niemi
Niittymaki

Cap space 4.5 mil.

This high if they get something to bolster their lower lines forward depth. They’ve got the cap space. Other than that they’ve got a crazy top six that’s starting to be that come playoff time as well. Departure of Heatley not a bad thing. Gave up having seven top six forwards in order to land Burns (Couture’s year made the trade easier I’m sure) which helps team balance. D very skilled and deep.

6. Los Angeles Kings

Brown – Kopitar – Penner
Williams – Richards – Gagne
Richardsson – Stoll – Parse
Clifford – Fraser – Lewis
Loktionov, Westgarth

Doughty – Mitchell
Johnson – Scuderi
Greene – Martinez
Drewiske

Quick
Bernier

Cap space around 4-5 mil after re-signing Doughty I guess. That’s some nice wiggle room closer to the deadline. Crazy top six and nine. Looking real solid all over. True contender.

7. Chicago Blackhawks

Sharp – Toews – Brunette
Hossa – Bolland – Kane
Olesz – Frolik – Bickell
Stalberg – Kruger – Carcillo
Smith, Mayers, Morin

Seabrook – Keith
Montador - Leddy
Hjalmarsson – O’Donnell
Lepisto, Scott

Crawford
Salak

Cap space 3 mil.

Stronger than last year I think. Crazy forward depth and a huge top three in Toews, Kane and Hossa. The emergence of Leddy along with Hjalmarsson and Montador helps their depth on D. First pair doesn’t exactly need a presentation. Crawford was great for them but now faces his first full season as a starter.

8. Montreal Canadiens

Cammalleri – Plekanec - Cole
Pacioretty – Gomez – Gionta
Kostitsyn – Desharnis – Eller
Moen – Darche – White
Leblanc

Markov – Spacek
Subban – Gorges
Weber – Gill
Yemelin

Price
Budaj

Cap space 5.2 mil.

Looking good. Great top six and nine. Solid D if Markov returns and stays healthy. Price was spectacular last year. Among the best in the east with cap room left.

9. Detroit Red Wings

Franzen – Datsyuk – Hudler
Bertuzzi – Zetterberg – Cleary
Holmstrom – Filppula – Eaves
Miller – Helm – Abdelkader
Mursak, Emmerton, Tatar

Lidstrom – Kronwall
Stuart – White
Ericsson – Commodore
Kindl

Howard
Conklin

Cap space 5.8 mil.

Rafalski out, White in. Beyond that nothing major has happened. Still the red, filthy bastards they’ve always been. Holmstrom and Lidstrom are even older now. The latter doesn’t seem to care though. Last year people said they were finally going to struggle and I said no, and say so again. They should be able to do what they did last year at least. They’re contenders once again (though they’re approaching a point where they’ll have to do something of an overhaul). Look for Kronwall to be more involved in all aspects of the game. He’s their stud on D once Lidstrom retires. Howard’s a year older and Conklin’s a great backup. Got cap space to add a scoring winger in case they’re buyers at the deadline. Health always a concern with Bertuzzi, Franzen, Zetterberg and Kronwall.

10. Buffalo Sabres

Vanek – Roy – Pominville
Boyes - Ennis – Stafford
Gerbe – Hecht – Leino
Gaustad - Kaleta - Kotalik
McCormik, Ellis

Regehr – Myers
Ehrhoff – Leopold
Sekera – Morrisson
Gragnani, Weber

Miller
Enroth

Cap space -3.6 mil and that’s before re-signing Ennis. Given their depth at forward I really don’t get the Leino signing. Someone’s got to go (Kotalik can be sent down to solve part of it I guess). Looking past that they look really solid. No true superstar at forward but tons of depth. Really strong D and Miller in net. One of the teams with a legit shot, no doubt.

11. Philadelphia Flyers

Voracek – Giroux – Van Riemsdyk
Briere – Schenn – Jagr
Hartnell – Talbot – Simmonds
Shelley – Laperriere – Nodl
Betts

Timmonen – Meszaros
Pronger – Carle
Coburn – Lilja
Bartulis

Bryzgalov
Bobrovsky

Cap space 0.175 mil.

I’m high on their makeover. The emergence of Van Riemsdyk and especially Giroux made it the right move. Great depth on D and Bryzgalov in net looks very strong. That’ll be needed though, as they can’t know what Voracek, Jagr and Schenn will bring. If at least two of those three are hits the Flyers are looking good.

12. Anaheim Ducks

Perry – Getzlaf – Ryan
Blake – Koivu – Selanne
Cogliano – McMillan – Sexton
Parros – Belesky – Ruutu
Palmieri, Winchester

Visnovsky – Beauchemin
Lydman – Fowler
Foster – Sbisa
Brookbank

Hiller
Ellis

Cap space should be around 5+ mil after (if) re-signing Selanne, Ruutu and Winchester.

I’m high on the Ducks. Great defensive depth now (the emergence of Sbisa, Fowler, Lydman (later bloomer at last year’s level?) and the bringing back of Beauchemin made all the difference in the world). First line potentially the best in hockey, but I kind of like their 2nd and 3rd also. They’re ok. Overall alot depending on Hiller’s health of course, but it seems he’s on the mend?

13. Tampa Bay Lightning

Downie - Lecavalier - St Louis
Malone – Stamkos – Purcell
Tyrell – Moore - Thompson
Shannon – Hall – Ritola

Kubina – Brewer
Bergeron – Hedman
Ohlund – Clark
Gilroy, Gervais

Roloson
Garon

Cap space 5 mil.

The loss of Bergenheim hurts their scoring depth but they’re still sporting one sweet top six. Not that in the know on their bottom six but it’s pretty good? D looks very good. Deep. Goaltending a concern, however. Can’t believe they didn’t take a shot at Fasth for example. I mean with Roloson and Garon why not even try? Team management didn’t watch the WC’s? Were I Yzerman I’d try a move for Rask, Bernier, Lindback, Lehner or some other goalie prospect already good but currently not 1st in line on their teams.

14. New York Rangers

Fedotenko - Richards – Gaborik
Dubinsky – Anisimov – Callahan
Wolski – Stepan – Zucarello
Boyle – Prust – Avery
Christensen, Rupp

Girardi - Erixon
Staal - McDonaugh
Eminger – Sauer
Del Zotto

Lundqvist
Biron

Cap space likely non at all. Their current 4.9 mil will be used to sign Callahan and possibly another depth D-man. There’s talk of shedding salary at forward, however. Which I thought they’d do last year already. Boyle and Prust did great last year, they should be the third line (and was too). Stepan and Zucarello did great when they got the ice time, but there are just too many productive forwards on the team. I see them dumping Wolski, Christensen and possibly Zucarello (did great when he got the shot but I suspect they’re higher on Stepan). I’m sure they wouldn’t mind another steady, established D-man. Erixon is legit however.

15. New Jersey Devils

Kovalchuk – Zajac – Tedenby
Elias – Josefson – Parise
Zubrus - Steckel - Palmieri
Boulton - Pelley – Clarkson
Zharkov, Janssen

Volochenkov – Greene
Tallinder – Taormina
Larsson – Salvador
Corrente, Fayne, Fraser

Brodeur
Hedberg

Cap space nothing.

The above lineup probably not possible as I’ve used their current 5.5 mil cap space to re-sign Taormina and Parise. The Rolston contract really brutal for them. And they can’t dump him to the AHL because of the 35+ rule? Lose him and stay healthy and I see them possibly battling for the east’s final playoff spots because of their big guys up front.

Update: The Isles help out by taking Rolston and a pick for Hunter. Cap space now 8 mil before re-signing Parise and promoting Tarmonia who's now re-signed at 0.55 but listed in the minors on Cap Geek. I'm thinking he'll play with the Devils, however. Could make the playoffs if Parise re-signs (which I guess is happening).

Update again: Dropped White and Hunter. Added Larsson and Josefson to the lineup. Parise now offically signed too. At this point I'm leaning alot more towards them getting back into the playoffs. Possibly doing some damage too. Cap space about 4.3 mil after my promotions of Larsson and Taormina. The top six I've suggested perhaps not likely but I'd love to see it given a shot. Overall they've got a nice mix of talented youth, veterans and stars. Love the changes they've made.

16. Toronto Maple Leafs

Kessel – Connolly – Lupul
McArtur – Kadri – Grabovski
Kulemin – Lombardi – Bozak
Armstrong – Orr – Brown

Phaneuf – Komisarek
Liles – Schenn
Gunnarsson – Franson
Aulie, Lashoff

Reimer
Gustavsson

Cap space 5.2 mil before re-signing Schenn.

Hard to say really. Up front there’s solid depth but few major highlights. Many centers so someone will have to move to wing. Kind of interesting lineup I must say. On D Phaneuf seemed to be getting back to his old self during last season’s second half, and Liles is a nice addition. Also, they might’ve found their goalie in Reimer. What the heck, I say Toronto nabs the final playoff spot in the east (update: Nah, I see NJ as well as the Rangers ahead of them in the battle for that final spot).

17. Calgary Flames

Tanguay – Jokinen – Iginla
Bourque – Langkow – Hagman
Glencross – Stajan – Moss
Backlund – Morisson – Kostopoulos
Ivanas, Jackman, L-Leblond

Bouwmeester – Sarich
Giordano – Babchuk
Butler – Staios
Mikkelson, Carlsson

Kiprusoff
Karlsson

No cap space at all basically if they re-sign Staios.

Long gone are the days of their big three on D plus Iginla and one more decent productive forward. Now they have a cheaper D while keeping a nice top four and a forward squad with lots of decent offensive depth. No real defensive line I think, they’re kind of like the Rangers but even more so. Weird collection of forwards in my opinion but there’s depth there. Tanguay and Jokinen started playing better again last year, and Iginla was himself again. Kipper is what he is. Can see them make the playoffs and lose in the first round.

18. St Louis Blues

Backes - McDonald – Stewart
Perron – Berglund – Oshie
Langenbrunner – Arnott – Steen
Sobotka – D’Agostini – Crombeen
Nichol

Jackman – Pietrangelo
Polak – Colaiacovo
Cole – Shattenkirk
Huskins, Nikitin

Halak
Elliott

Cap space 12 mil.

The Blues really had something going but now I don’t see a plan. They have a very interesting young core at forward in Backes, Stewart, Perron, Berglund, Oshie, Steen and D’Agostini, and on D with Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk and Colaiacovo. On D they should just look to solidly complement that talented trio (don’t mind Jackman but know nothing about the rest) and at forward I get the presence of McDonald but why bring in Langenbrunner and Arnott? Oshie and Steen are playing out of position with my lineup, and D’ Agostini is not a fourth line player. Guess Perron’s not improving?

With the cap space they had they could’ve managed something really interesting but now it’s just a big meh to me. They have a playoff chance I guess but I’m not sure they’re in.

19. Minnesota Wild

Heatley – Koivu – Setoguchi
Latendresse – Bouchard – Clutterbuck
Nystrom – Cullen – Brodziak
Powe – Gillies – Staubitz

Zidlicky – Schultz
Zanon – Lundin
Scandella – Stoner
Spurgeon

Backstrom
Harding

Cap space 10 mil.

Sweet top line (Koivu will finally have some company) and not a bad 2nd line. Beyond that and Backstrom they’re not very strong though. I see them just missing the playoffs just like last year.

20. Columbus Blue Jackets

Huselius – Carter – Nash
Umberger – Brassard – Vermette
Calvert – Pahlsson – Prospal
MacKenzie – Dorsett - Boll

Wisniewski – Tyutin
Methot – Clitsome
Martinek – Russell

Mason
Dekanic

Cap space 6 mil.

Sweet first line, pretty nice top six and nine. Less certain about their D and goaltending, however. Have to admit I don’t know much about their D though. If it’s decent I guess they could challenge for a playoff spot.

21. Dallas Stars

Benn – Ribiero – Eriksson
Morrow – Ott – Ryder
Fiddler – Burish – Dvorak
Barch – Wandell – Dowell
Vincour, Petersen

Robidas – Souray
Daley – Goligoski
Grossman – Pardy
Fistric

Lehtonen
Raycroft

Cap space 14 mil. Had something going but their budget obviously got in the way. Add Richards and they’ve got a pretty sweet top six. D looks kind of nice and Lehtonen is solid. I’m excited to continue following Benn’s development. Borderline playoff challenger.

22. Edmonton Oilers

Hall – Hemsky – Eberle
Gagner – Horcoff – Paajarvi
Smyth – Brule – Jones
Eager – Belanger – Hordichuk
Hartikanien, Omark, Nudgent-Hopkins

Whitney – Smid
Gilbert – Barker
Sutton – Peckham
Chorney

Khabibulin
Dubnyk

Cap space 7 mil.

All the talent in the world but I don’t see their plan currently. Tons of centers. Guys too good for a 4th line getting in the way of the youngster (Smyth and Belanger), and so on. Above I don’t even have Omark or N.-Hopkins on a line. D looks ok I guess. Goalie situation tricky. Bhulin was pretty good at times last year but he’s not exactly the future. I want them to do great but think it’ll be hard for them to compete for a playoff spot this year already.

23. Winnipeg Jets

Ladd – Antropov – Kane
Wheeler – Little – Fehr
Schremp – Burmistrov – Cormier
Thorburn – Glass – Slater
Rypien, Stapleton, Maxwell

Byfuglien – Enstrom
Hainsey – Odoya
Stuart – Bogosian
Jones, Festerling

Pavelec
Mason

Cap space about 12 mil if Bogosian gets around 3 a year. Interesting roster but some notable weaknesses. No true top center. I feel as if they’ve got two 2nd lines but no real first. They have some gems but no stars really until Kane reaches that status. Hopefully Burmistrov can emerge and establish himself as a top center too. I see them finishing 10th in the east or so.

24. Florida Panthers

Bergenheim – Booth – Fleischman
Dadonov – Weiss – Versteeg
Skille – Santorelli – Upshall
Bradley – Goc – Kopecky
Repik

Campbell – Jovanovski
Kulikov – Weaver
Ellerby – Garrison
Callahan

Theodore
Clemmensen

Cap space 14.5 mil.

Actually a decent top nine and four. If one of their goalies surprises pleasently (very) they might challenge for a playoff spot.

25. Nashville Predators

Erat – Legwand – Hornqvist
O’Reilly - Wilson – Kostitsyn
Spaling - Fisher - Bergfors
Geoffrin – Smithson - Totoo
Halischuk

Weber – Suter
Buillon – Lebda
Klein – Blum
Ekholm

Rinne
Lindback

Cap space about 17 mil if Weber gets 6 mil.

Don’t see where they’re going. Mediocre roster. They’re always better than they look on paper, obviously, but I don’t see them making the playoffs. Their era of over achievement is over. Can’t say I know alot about their players, however, they’re a team I seldom to never watch. Excellent goaltending tandem.

26. Carolina Hurricanes

Jokinen – Staal – Stillman
Ponikarovsky – Skinner – Ruutu
Larose – Sutter – Stewart
Tlusty – Brent – Dwyer
Samson, Bowman

Pitkanen – Gleason
Kaberle – Allen
Joslin – Mcbain
Harrison

Ward
Boucher

Cap space 14.5 mil before re-signing Stillman.

Half decent top nine, solid top four on D and a great goalie. Possibly battling for final playoff spot in the east. Still this low when ranking rosters, however.

27. New York Islanders

Moulson – Tavares - Okposo
Parenteau – Bailey – Grabner
Comeau – Reasoner – Hunter
Martin – Gilles – Nielsen
Joensuu, Haley

Streit – Eaton
Jurcina – Hamonic
Wishart – Mottau
Reese, MacDonald

DiPietro
Montoya

Cap space about 20 mil after the re-signings I’ve done.

Interesting and already decent top six and nine. D pretty weak though even if Streit’s back. Hamonic’s emergence last year was impressive, however. Don’t know what to say. Don’t think they’ll be last again. I’m thinking 11th in the east or around there somewhere.

28. Colorado Avalanche

Jones – Stastny – Hejduk
Mueller – Duchene – Galiardi
Kobasew – O’Reilly – McClement
Porter – Yip – McLeod
Landeskog, Siemens, Lindstrom

Hejda – Johnson
Quincey – O’Byrne
Hunwick – Wilson
O’Brien

Varlamov
Giguere

Cap space 19 mil.

Had something going but opted for re-building again. Were I their GM I’d build around Duchene, Stastny, Mueller (if still in the picture), O’Reilly, Johnson, Varlamov and Galiardi and more or less screw the rest.

29. Phoenix Coyotes

Whitney – Doan – Vrbata
Stempniak – Hanzal – Korpikoski
Miele – Turris – Torres
Pyatt – Chipchura – Bissonnette
Nokelainen, Gordon

Rozsival – Yandle
Klesla – Morris
Aucoin – Sauer
Schlemko

Smith
LaBarbera

Cap space before re-signing Turris 16.4.

Oh boy. They’ve had two straight surprising playoff appearances but are now up for a rude awakening. Solid depth on D but beyond that what’s there to like? Bryzgalov will be missed. I think they’re bottom feeders.

30. Ottawa Senators

Michalek – Spezza – Alfredsson
Filatov – Butler – Foligno
Neil – Regin – Condra
Da. Costa – Greening – Winchester
Konopka, Smith

Gonchar – Phillips
Kuba – Karlsson
Carkner – Rundblad
Lee

Andersson
Auld

Cap space 12.5 mil. Which is nothing in relation to the strenght of their roster. I see a whole lot of suck and yet they’ve spent some money. Spezza was solid last year and Karlsson and Rundblad are future studs (though together with Gonchar they’re gonna give up some goals for sure) but beyond that I don’t know what to like. The Sens had their years up from the cellar but now they’re back. I admit I don’t know much at all about many of their forwards but I really don’t think I’m that off in writing them off completely. I hope they’re dead last in the east. Which would be good for them too. Add another high pick to join Karlsson, Rundblad, Silferberg and Zibanejad (they’re high on young Swedes ey?) and start re-building.

This results in the following standings:

Eastern Conference:

1. Pittsburgh Penguins
2. Washington Capitals
3. Boston Bruins
4. Montreal Canadiens
5. Buffalo Sabres
6. Philadelphia Flyers
7. Tampa Bay Lightning
8. New York Rangers
9. New Jersey Devils
10. Toronto Maple Leafs
11. Winnipeg Jets (boy was that sweet to type)
12. Florida Panthers
13. Carolina Hurricanes
14. New York Islanders
15. Ottawa Senators

Western Conference:

1. Vancouver Canucks
2. San Jose Sharks
3. Chicago Blackhawks
4. Los Angeles Kings
5. Detroit Red Wings
6. Anaheim Ducks
7. Calgary Flames
8. St Louis Blues
9. Minnesota Stars
10. Columbus Blue Jackets
11. Dallas Stars
12. Edmonton Oilers
13. Nashville Predators
14. Colorado Avalanche
15. Phoenix Coyotes
Last edited by André on Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:13 am, edited 21 times in total.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Overview and ranking of all NHL rosters

Postby columbia on Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:05 am

Wall of text.

Spoiler:
Nice job on this, Andre. I'm print this out today and spend some time reading through it tonight.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby darkstar57 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:54 am

Nice post, i have some changes those in the finish

André wrote:This results in the following standings:

Eastern Conference:

1. Washington Capitals - They play in an easier division then the pens, easier to rack up more points
2. Pittsburgh Penguins
3. Buffalo Sabres - I think the Canadians and Bruins both slide this year, opening the door for them
4. New York Rangers - They always play strong Defense (5th in Goals per game last year), the addition of Richards should see their goals increase
5. Tampa Bay Lightning
6. Boston Bruins - Stanley Cup Hangover, plus Thomas has shown he slips the year after winning the Venzeia (Check his stats)
7. Philadelphia Flyers - I am not sold on the changes, Defense is getting older and is injury prone, I think Bryzgalov feel pressure his first season
8. New York Islanders - I just think the young guys all play extremely well and they just slip into the playoffs
9. Montreal Canadiens - I see them just missing the playoffs
10. Toronto Maple Leafs
11. New Jersey Devils
12.Carolina Hurricanes
13. Winnipeg Jets - I think the first 25 games or so they lead their division, then the travel gets to them and they break down
14. Florida Panthers.
15. Ottawa Senators

I see the Islanders, Candians, Leads, Devils and Hurricanes will all have a fighting chance of making the playoffs

I also can see Roslton breaking down and Tampa Stumbling
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby Kovy27 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:14 am

Eastern Conference:

1. Pittsburgh Penguins
2. Washington Capitals
3. Boston Bruins
4. Montreal Canadiens
5. Philadelphia Flyers
6. Buffalo Sabres
7. Tampa Bay Lightning
8. New York Rangers
9. Toronto Maple Leafs
10. New Jersey Devils
11. Winnipeg Jets (boy was that sweet to type)
12. Florida Panthers
13. Carolina Hurricanes
14. New York Islanders
15. Ottawa Senators

Western Conference:

1. Vancouver Canucks
2. San Jose Sharks
3. Chicago Blackhawks
4. Los Angeles Kings
5. Detroit Red Wings
6. Anaheim Ducks
7. Calgary Flames
8. Minnesota Stars
9. St Louis Blues
10. Columbus Blue Jackets
11. Dallas Stars
12. Edmonton Oilers
13. Nashville Predators
14. Colorado Avalanche
15. Phoenix Coyotes

Good work on this. I do have some disagreements.

East: I think Buffalo and Florida are higher.
West: I think the Preds are higher. When did the Minnesota Stars come back? :)
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:00 am

The only issue I see with ranking Vancouver 2nd overall is the loss of Raymond for a significant portion at the start of the season. His back injury was pretty serious and I wouldn't be sure he will even be back at all in 2011-2012 if he has any setbacks. He isn't a Sedin, but he is an important player for them.

In terms of their D, losing Erhoff is huge. Having Sami Salo as a Dman you count on in a huge issue since he is made of glass, and they wanted nothing to do with Keith Ballard in the playoffs - playing a rookie over him.

I think Vancouver is a very suspect #2.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kraftster on Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:14 am

Cool. Good work, Andre.

I agree with Snapper on Vancouver.

I also agree with Kovy - I would switch Buffalo with Montreal for sure.

I'd probably bump down Toronto, Minnesota (their roster is pretty bad), and Columbus, bump up St. Louis (Berglund is going to have a huge year), New Jersey, Nashville, Winnipeg, Islanders. I'll try doing rankings later.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:49 am

Nice work.

I'd bump up the Avs, mostly because I'm morally opposed to them getting a lottery pick.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Draftnik on Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:16 pm

Impressive work Andre. You could write a preview magazine. Chicago is my current pick to emerge from the West. They had a very high point per game rate once Crawford took over for Turco as the starting G some time in Nov/Dec. Plus I like most of the additions they made to their roster this offseason and I think they have a bunch of young players with career production curves still trending upward.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:13 pm

Phenomenal. I think you're way too high on the Kings right now, and too low on the Wings Hawks. Other than that, very well done!
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:57 pm

This is wicked awesome.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby André on Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:16 am

Thanks alot for the positive feedback guys.

Work is slow in July ;)

I don't think anyone has pointed out a disagreement where I can't see where you're coming from. Always hard to say.

Also, roster strength on paper doesn't necessarily reflect how I think the standings will look. I agree the Caps could very well rack up more points, but following my rank the Pens finish above them. I've gone easy on myself in that regard, and kind of combined a roster rank with discussion on the standings =)
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby André on Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:28 am

Darkstar: Yeah we'll see. Really tough to tell positions 6-13 in both conferences. Will be tight again.

Kovy 27: While Florida has improved in every other area I'm just too concerned with their goalie situation.

Agree on Buffalo though, and now that I look on my list I'm swapping them with the Flyers. Not above the Canadians however, Krafster =) But I do agree on St Louis and swap them with Minnesota. After that I'll remain uninfluenced and say that's my final ranking.

Nashville was the team which roster in relation to their previous finishes in the standings suprised me the most. How have they been so good these past few years? They could very well be the team I'm the most wrong on, but then again I ranked their roster on paper only and judging from the player knowledge I have (limited concerning several teams, admittedly) I can't put them higher.

Draftnik: Chicago looking good for sure. But if SJ fill out their bottom six I still have them slighly ahead of the Hawks.

TheHammer24: I just love the Kings' roster. I really think they'll be that high.
Last edited by André on Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:48 am

is hartnell really looking at 3rd line duty?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:35 pm

Great work Andre.

I see you're ranking based on roster strength... but adjusting that for intagibles, here's what I'd come up with.

* Boston has a major hangover, which leads to injuries, which leads to being a bubble team.
* Philly goes through a high off their changes to start the season, then it takes them the rest of the season to work out kinks. Could be scary if healthy and clicking come April.
* The Avs stay healthy, put it together, and show last year was just a blip in their development trajectory. Even though they've payed alot, Sherman's got a plan and he's sticking to it.
* Smith picks up right where Brygalov left off. Phoenix keeps winning under Tippet.
* The Islanders start winning games. Everyone else in the Atlantic loses a few points. Caps take Presidents Trophy.
* The Devils continue strong play from 2nd half. DeBoer shows he's a bonafide NHL coach (winner). Brodeur extra motivated to go out with a bang.
* Toronto goes into hysteria after continuing to unimpress. Reimer not a real goalie. Burke's job in question. Circus ensues.
* I don't like the Blues moves, but I'm betting against myself to say they pay off and St Louis finally makes the playoffs.

Here's my (regular season standings) rankings:

Eastern Conference:

1. Washington Capitals
2. Pittsburgh Penguins
3. Montreal Canadiens
4. New Jersey Devils
5. Philadelphia Flyers
6. Tampa Bay Lightning
7. Buffalo Sabres
8. New York Rangers
9. Boston Bruins
10. Winnipeg Jets
11. New York Islanders
12. Florida Panthers
13. Carolina Hurricanes
14. Toronto Maple Leafs
15. Ottawa Senators

Western Conference:

1. San Jose Sharks
2. Vancouver Canucks
3. Chicago Blackhawks
4. Los Angeles Kings
5. Detroit Red Wings
6. Anaheim Ducks
7. St Louis Blues
8. Colorado Avalanche
9. Phoenix Coyotes
10. Nashville Predators
11. Columbus Blue Jackets
12. Calgary Flames
13. Dallas Stars
14. Edmonton Oilers
15. Minnesota Wild
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby profpolisci on Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:29 pm

Thanks very much for this, Andre.

Isles and Blue Jackets
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby npv708 on Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:34 pm

Great job, Andre.

One small note, if you're going to include Williams, you should probably also include McIntyre, since he'll probably see a decent share of games this year, imo.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby K2 on Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:14 am

This is probably more accurate/thorough than what THN will put out in their preview. Job well done.
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby André on Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:38 am

Letang Is The Truth wrote:is hartnell really looking at 3rd line duty?

Unless they misscast Voracek or Schenn that's where I see him. But yeah, I guess Schenn could start centering the third, among other scenarios.

I'd do it like that, however =)
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby André on Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:04 am

Updated after NJ's moves. Might be too high on Tedenby and especially Josefson but I'd love to see my suggestion for their top six given a shot.

Overall they've got a nice mix of talented youth, veterans and stars. Love the changes they've made.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:51 am

Can't wait to see the buds crap the bed again.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Return to NPR