Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby cma3585 on Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:45 pm

Just saying, everyone's feeling bad for Simmonds and then he says/does this...
cma3585
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kaizer on Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:01 pm

if i had a dollar for everytime i heard someone call a straight person a "homo", i could buy a new truck. if i had a dollar for every banana thrown at a black guy, i'd have a dollar.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby doublem on Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:22 pm

I don't think that's bigotry.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:28 pm

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/story/_ ... hobic-slur

Here's the ESPN link.

if i had a dollar for everytime i heard someone call a straight person a "homo", i could buy a new truck. if i had a dollar for every banana thrown at a black guy, i'd have a dollar.

It's a timing thing here. He JUST got sympathy from the entire hockey world for his situation and then he goes and does this. Idiot.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby doublem on Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:34 pm

I'm sure 90% of the NHL uses that word. It doesn't have to mean "gay" in it's usage. However, throwing a banana at black person can only have one meaning,
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby jprolley on Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:35 pm

bryan trottier to brian bellows
jprolley
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:37 pm

doublem wrote:I'm sure 90% of the NHL uses that word. It doesn't have to mean "gay" in it's usage. However, throwing a banana at black person can only have one meaning,

See above. In Simmonds case, he probably should have waited at least a couple games to start saying stuff like this.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Draftnik on Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:39 pm

Avery has a history of baiting black players. BGL is known as an honorable guy and when he says Avery called him a monkey, I believe BGL over Avery:

http://articles.latimes.com/2005/oct/14 ... -kingrep14

Frolov seemed to verify the incident earlier this year before blaming the verification on poor translation:

http://www.rangerstribune.com/the-range ... t-him.html

Simmonds has to be better than that, especially considering how he was treated a few days ago and the fact Avery might actually be gay, but odds are Avery provoked Simmonds in some way. Plus Avery has to be public enemy #1 of all black players because of what he said to BGL.

It is nauseating to see Avery playing the victim card.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:42 pm

doublem wrote:I'm sure 90% of the NHL uses that word. It doesn't have to mean "gay" in it's usage.

And, while I'm not surprised, this is such ignorant thinking... It absolutely means "gay" the way they throw it around. I seriously doubt their intent is to call each other a genus that includes humans. "Avery, you human!!!" I'm sure that's exactly what he meant.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:44 pm

Draftnik wrote:

Agreed but Simmonds is an idiot for allowing it to happen by saying it. Avery is scum, but talk about taking the low road on Simmonds behalf.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby cma3585 on Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:50 pm

bhaw wrote:
doublem wrote:I'm sure 90% of the NHL uses that word. It doesn't have to mean "gay" in it's usage.

And, while I'm not surprised, this is such ignorant thinking... It absolutely means "gay" the way they throw it around. I seriously doubt their intent is to call each other a genus that includes humans. "Avery, you human!!!" I'm sure that's exactly what he meant.

Didn't even say the word "homo". Used the other "F" word. Unless he was calling him a bundle of sticks. That's about on par w/ the "oh, I brought this banana to the game to enjoy and just didn't know what to do with the peel!" theory.
cma3585
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:52 pm

cma3585 wrote:
bhaw wrote:

Didn't even say the word "homo". Used the other "F" word. Unless he was calling him a bundle of sticks. That's about on par w/ the "oh, I brought this banana to the game to enjoy and just didn't know what to do with the peel!" theory.

Gotcha. Either way, well said. There is no other intention.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby doublem on Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:54 pm

bhaw wrote:

Ah, I don't really think so. I would say it means something like you are a jerk type thing.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kaizer on Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:55 pm

bhaw wrote:

get real. first of all he didnt say "homo" he said the gay "F" word. second, people say that so often now it barely has a sexual connotation. i call my friends that all the time. am i "zomg not classy"? sure, but i'm not saying theyre gay either.

theres a good reason they only show the boring parts when a player is mic'd up, because the rest of it would drive media vultures to shock us with such terrible and tragic language, and the PC crazy fans who read it to grab their digital torches and rabble rabble all over the internet.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Draftnik on Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:07 am

bhaw wrote:
Draftnik wrote:

Agreed but Simmonds is an idiot for allowing it to happen by saying it. Avery is scum, but talk about taking the low road on Simmonds behalf.

I haven't seen the video of Avery's comments to see the context but my point was Simmonds didn't play the victim a few nights ago even though the meaning of the banana wasn't ambiguous:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/70072 ... e-simmonds

"I don't know if it had anything to do with the fact I'm black," Simmonds, a 23-year-old Toronto native, said Thursday. "I certainly hope not. When you're black, you kind of expect (racist) things. You learn to deal with it."

Contrast that with Avery:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/story/_ ... hobic-slur

"To be here now having to answer the questions about what he did is disappointing for me. I'm disappointed for him," Avery said.

Avery plays the victim card based on the way that quote reads. Its especially nauseating IMO because there is no way his word should be taken over BGL's when it comes to the monkey comment. Its typical Avery. He provokes, can dish it out, but when it comes to taking it he always tries to say he is the victim. The guy is a phony puerile miscreant IMO. Simmonds needs to be better, but I'd bet $$$ Avery found a way to use the banana incident to set Simmonds off tonight. Its in Avery's DNA to use that kind of stuff against opponents.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:18 am

Kaizer wrote:
bhaw wrote:

get real. first of all he didnt say "homo" he said the gay "F" word. second, people say that so often now it barely has a sexual connotation. i call my friends that all the time. am i "zomg not classy"? sure, but i'm not saying theyre gay either.

theres a good reason they only show the boring parts when a player is mic'd up, because the rest of it would drive media vultures to shock us with such terrible and tragic language, and the PC crazy fans who read it to grab their digital torches and rabble rabble all over the internet.

I'm rarely PC. But this is beyond ignorant. I'll say it again a third time if you want to rationalize it again, so feel free. Again, given that this board is 99% white males who are into sports where this is acceptable, I'm not surprised with your comments. Doesn't make them any less ignorant.

EDIT to add: people say it so often? Where and who do you hang out with?
Last edited by bhaw on Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:20 am

Draftnik... I agree... Avery is scum. Doesn't make Simmonds any less stupid for engaging.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:21 am

doublem wrote:
bhaw wrote:

Ah, I don't really think so. I would say it means something like you are a jerk type thing.

So the word "jerk" escaped him at the time? See my above comments to Kaizer. They apply to this as well.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:28 am

Draftnik wrote:
Avery plays the victim card based on the way that quote reads. Its especially nauseating IMO because there is no way his word should be taken over BGL's when it comes to the monkey comment. Its typical Avery. He provokes, can dish it out, but when it comes to taking it he always tries to say he is the victim. The guy is a phony puerile miscreant IMO. Simmonds needs to be better, but I'd bet $$$ Avery found a way to use the banana incident to set Simmonds off tonight. Its in Avery's DNA to use that kind of stuff against opponents.

This. It was really stupid of Simmonds to supposedly say this. But you know Avery harangued him about the banana incident.

Avery is a little weasel.
llipgh2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby doublem on Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:29 am

bhaw wrote:
doublem wrote:
bhaw wrote:

So the word "jerk" escaped him at the time? See my above comments to Kaizer. They apply to this as well.

That's generally why people use colorful language, to make some type of point. I have a hard time believing Simmonds meant that Avery was a homosexual and had personal hatred for him because of that. Words change to mean certain things, he could have called him an ahole and the meaning would be the same or a wuss.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:32 am

laughable is all I can say doublem. laughable. I'm sure when Avery called BGL a monkey, he just meant BGL was "silly."
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby doublem on Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:37 am

Is there some other usage for "money" when saying it to a black person?
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby doublem on Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:39 am

I have heard that word uses so many times I couldn't even count.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:41 am

doublem wrote:

We are a composite of those we choose to be around, indeed.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby doublem on Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:45 am

bhaw wrote:
doublem wrote:

We are a composite of those we choose to be around, indeed.

Tone down your self-righteous for a bit here. I never said those people were all my friends. In school, in sports that word is tossed around non-stop.
doublem
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NPR