Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby bh on Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:53 pm

I remember when Jason Blake did something to Sid a few years ago and Sid was screaming " you're F*ing dead!".
I was pretty shocked.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,511
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:48 am

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby bh on Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:59 pm

llipgh2 wrote:Avery acts likes an innocent victim. Which is completely laughable.

Can't wait till he's out of the league. Clown.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,511
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:48 am

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby canaan on Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:04 pm

columbia wrote:Police have suspect in the banana attack:
http://www.torontosun.com/2011/09/27/po ... ana-attack

Simmonds skated around the fruit and scored.


i dont know why that is funny to me
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 39,093
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby knives of ice on Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:32 pm

Penalizing for language used on the ice is a complete joke especially in a league so intent on the players supposedly policing themselves through fighting
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,807
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: Sunnyvale Trailer Park

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby bhaw on Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:17 pm

llipgh2 wrote:
canaan wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:Interesting quote from Simmonds about the verbal exchange:

Honestly, we were going back and forth for a while there," he said, without providing details. "I don't recall everything that I did say to him, but he said to me some things I didn't like. And maybe I said some things that he didn't like.

"I can't recall every single word I said."

Simmonds was asked what Avery said and if it crossed the line.

"I'm not going to rat him out," he said.


So I'm guessing Avery was his typical digusting self, did cross the line, and is now playing martyr. Sniveling little rat.

wayne simmonds isnt a saint on the ice. they are both morons.


Never said he was. But he isn't acting like one, either. In a roundabout way, he's fessing up. Not apologizing (which he should, to gays - not Avery), but fessing up.

Avery acts likes an innocent victim. Which is completely laughable.


Simmonds is being every bit of a jag as Avery. It's funny because people are giving him the benefit of the doubt b/c it was TO Avery, who is scum himself. As far as I see it, both are lesser than human.

"I don't know what I said..." BS. Everyone in the country can see what you said. He's copping out then throwing the attention on Avery with the "I'm not going to rat him out" line.

I don't have sympathy for Avery at all, but Simmonds is every bit as trash based on the quotes you pointed out. Be a man and take responsibility. All he did was deflect on to Avery. All Simmonds did was take the low road on this one and he keeps taking it despite being given opportunities to take the high road. Both are dirt humans in this situation.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,031
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby bhaw on Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:18 pm

knives of ice wrote:Penalizing for language used on the ice is a complete joke especially in a league so intent on the players supposedly policing themselves through fighting


Who got penalized for language on the ice?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,031
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby Kaizer on Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:38 pm

As far as I see it, both are lesser than human.


because of this? lolx10
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,400
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:02 am
Location: Crazy Town

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby bhaw on Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:41 pm

Kaizer wrote:
As far as I see it, both are lesser than human.


because of this? lolx10


His response, not JUST saying what he said on the ice. He said it then showed utter lack of spine when asked about it. He basically pulled an Avery.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,031
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby Kaizer on Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:01 pm

if thats all it takes to be lesser than human, pardon me while i completely disregard everything you said about this entire topic.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,400
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:02 am
Location: Crazy Town

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby Pipes Hochuli on Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:06 pm

late to the party, but props to bhaw in this thread.

IMO, anyone beyond a teenager that still uses the word in this discussion is a dolt that I wouldn't like to be associated with. A total display of stupidity and ignorance.
Pipes Hochuli
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,612
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:12 am
Location: Pascal's playoff eyebrows

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby bhaw on Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:21 pm

Kaizer wrote:if thats all it takes to be lesser than human, pardon me while i completely disregard everything you said about this entire topic.


ok... seemed as though you disregarded it by arguing with me by making points I already made.

I also did say that those thoughts were in regards to this situation. I don't think too highly of someone who makes comments (that are apparently no big deal) then hides behind "I don't know what I said" then goes even further to turn the attention to the other guy. I don't see what's wrong with thinking that's pretty scummy.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,031
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby bhaw on Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:24 pm

Pipes Hochuli wrote:late to the party, but props to bhaw in this thread.

IMO, anyone beyond a teenager that still uses the word in this discussion is a dolt that I wouldn't like to be associated with. A total display of stupidity and ignorance.


Thanks. It felt weird being the only one saying that it's a juvenile and just terrible word to throw around haphazardly. But then again, I don't hang out with people who act like children because it's funny to call people the f word for some reason.

doublem - you asked me way earlier if I ever played sports. Yes. In high school, college, and post college. I don't specifically remember anyone ever being called the f word in a hockey game, ever.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,031
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby knives of ice on Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:24 pm

bhaw wrote:
knives of ice wrote:Penalizing for language used on the ice is a complete joke especially in a league so intent on the players supposedly policing themselves through fighting


Who got penalized for language on the ice?


the report sent to teams and players today supossedly included words you can be penalized for via fine, etc
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,807
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: Sunnyvale Trailer Park

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby bhaw on Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:27 pm

knives of ice wrote:
bhaw wrote:
knives of ice wrote:Penalizing for language used on the ice is a complete joke especially in a league so intent on the players supposedly policing themselves through fighting


Who got penalized for language on the ice?


the report sent to teams and players today supossedly included words you can be penalized for via fine, etc


Gotcha. NFL does the same thing. I don't think it's necessary by any means, but I get it. The NHL doesn't want their players posted all around the internet or on Sports Center using slurs or caught saying it on live TV. They are trying to protect the image. It's a tricky line, but the NFL has managed pretty well. The coaches can't even swear without getting fine. I'm guessing the list includes mainly slurs at this point.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,031
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby columbia on Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:33 pm

bhaw wrote:
Pipes Hochuli wrote:late to the party, but props to bhaw in this thread.

IMO, anyone beyond a teenager that still uses the word in this discussion is a dolt that I wouldn't like to be associated with. A total display of stupidity and ignorance.


Thanks. It felt weird being the only one saying that it's a juvenile and just terrible word to throw around haphazardly. But then again, I don't hang out with people who act like children because it's funny to call people the f word for some reason.


Nor do I and I certainly don't approve.

How does the spotlight on this affect your view of the NHL players, because it's - apparently - quite common.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 48,317
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:43 pm

bhaw wrote:
Pipes Hochuli wrote:late to the party, but props to bhaw in this thread.

IMO, anyone beyond a teenager that still uses the word in this discussion is a dolt that I wouldn't like to be associated with. A total display of stupidity and ignorance.


Thanks. It felt weird being the only one saying that it's a juvenile and just terrible word to throw around haphazardly. But then again, I don't hang out with people who act like children because it's funny to call people the f word for some reason.

doublem - you asked me way earlier if I ever played sports. Yes. In high school, college, and post college. I don't specifically remember anyone ever being called the f word in a hockey game, ever.

:shock: I says pardon? Someone's said it to another person (either on my team or the other team) at pretty much every game I've been to/ played.

Image
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,027
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:47 pm
Location: Hamilton

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby bhaw on Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:48 pm

columbia wrote:
bhaw wrote:
Pipes Hochuli wrote:late to the party, but props to bhaw in this thread.

IMO, anyone beyond a teenager that still uses the word in this discussion is a dolt that I wouldn't like to be associated with. A total display of stupidity and ignorance.


Thanks. It felt weird being the only one saying that it's a juvenile and just terrible word to throw around haphazardly. But then again, I don't hang out with people who act like children because it's funny to call people the f word for some reason.


Nor do I and I certainly don't approve.

How does the spotlight on this affect your view of the NHL players, because it's - apparently - quite common.


Same as I hold most athletes. They are great at the sports they play, but MOST are not the role models we pretend they are. Guys like Sid or Larry Fitzgerald (NFL obviously) or BGL really aren't the norm. And those are the guys who deserve the spotlight. Charles Barkley spoke the truth when he said athletes should not be considered role models.

When it comes down to it, you can spew out all kinds of obscenities, names, etc you want. But if you have common sense, you can get your point (whatever it is) across to your opponent with words that don't have those connotations. There are a LOT of words in the English language.

End of the day, it's the good ol boys club that promotes this. Great players are trained by great players who were trained by great players who thought this was acceptable and didn't throw a second thought to it. Eventually it will be bred out. I mean, racial slurs are very rarely thrown out there because it has been widely accepted as not right. Gay rights are still pretty young, relatively (people are still fighting to keep them from getting married or holding insurance together). When my kid is my age, I would bet words like the f word are looked at the same way we look at the n word right now.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,031
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby bhaw on Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:52 pm

Physical_Graffiti wrote:
bhaw wrote:
Pipes Hochuli wrote:late to the party, but props to bhaw in this thread.

IMO, anyone beyond a teenager that still uses the word in this discussion is a dolt that I wouldn't like to be associated with. A total display of stupidity and ignorance.


Thanks. It felt weird being the only one saying that it's a juvenile and just terrible word to throw around haphazardly. But then again, I don't hang out with people who act like children because it's funny to call people the f word for some reason.

doublem - you asked me way earlier if I ever played sports. Yes. In high school, college, and post college. I don't specifically remember anyone ever being called the f word in a hockey game, ever.

:shock: I says pardon? Someone's said it to another person (either on my team or the other team) at pretty much every game I've been to/ played.

Image


I'm not lying. And I'm not saying you are. It's totally a theory, but I would be geography has something to do with it. I played in Colorado and with a lot of players from Colorado and Cali. I lived in Boulder. Definitely a more liberal area where the population was generally more cognizant of this sort of stuff. Is that why I didn't hear it? No idea. But I literally never ran into players using the f word. That being said, they definitely called each other "gay".
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,031
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:06 am

I'm probably exaggerating, but it's definitely common.

Generally, what I find: The full 6 letter "f" word is used on people you dislike. The 3 letter word and "gay" are used in jest.

I have no problem using either word because words are always changing, and neither of those words originally meant the same "negitive connotation" that some perceive it to today. I also rarely (if ever) use either of them to describe a homosexual.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,027
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:47 pm
Location: Hamilton

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby Rylan on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:24 am

Physical_Graffiti wrote:I'm probably exaggerating, but it's definitely common.

Generally, what I find: The full 6 letter "f" word is used on people you dislike. The 3 letter word and "gay" are used in jest.

I have no problem using either word because words are always changing, and neither of those words originally meant the same "negitive connotation" that some perceive it to today. I also rarely (if ever) use either of them to describe a homosexual.


i am with P_G. I never think of it as a gay slur. I think of it as someone who has ticked me off. If gays keep getting offended, the term will never lose its stigma.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,054
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:29 am

Rylan wrote:
Physical_Graffiti wrote:I'm probably exaggerating, but it's definitely common.

Generally, what I find: The full 6 letter "f" word is used on people you dislike. The 3 letter word and "gay" are used in jest.

I have no problem using either word because words are always changing, and neither of those words originally meant the same "negitive connotation" that some perceive it to today. I also rarely (if ever) use either of them to describe a homosexual.


i am with P_G. I never think of it as a gay slur. I think of it as someone who has ticked me off. If gays keep getting offended, the term will never lose its stigma.

Exactly: A person who's being a jerk, or trolling you irl is being "gay"; a man who likes other men isn't.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,027
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:47 pm
Location: Hamilton

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby Rylan on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:36 am

Physical_Graffiti wrote:
Rylan wrote:
Physical_Graffiti wrote:I'm probably exaggerating, but it's definitely common.

Generally, what I find: The full 6 letter "f" word is used on people you dislike. The 3 letter word and "gay" are used in jest.

I have no problem using either word because words are always changing, and neither of those words originally meant the same "negitive connotation" that some perceive it to today. I also rarely (if ever) use either of them to describe a homosexual.


i am with P_G. I never think of it as a gay slur. I think of it as someone who has ticked me off. If gays keep getting offended, the term will never lose its stigma.

Exactly: A person who's being a jerk, or trolling you irl is being "gay"; a man who likes other men isn't.


I guess the older generation doesn't see it that way. But many of the homosexuals I know don't care about the word. So if they don't care, then I don't care.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,054
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby bhaw on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:41 am

Very interesting thinking... gay people should just stop being so sensitive about the slurs I use so I can continue to use them at my leisure. :lol:
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,031
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby Rylan on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:42 am

bhaw wrote:Very interesting thinking... gay people should just stop being so sensitive about the slurs I use so I can continue to use them at my leisure. :lol:


Getting offended when its not even in a context referring to homosexuality just brings the stigma back on them. If you were born in the 90s you would actually notice that it rarely if ever refers to gays.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,054
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Banana Thrown at Wayne Simmonds

Postby bhaw on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:46 am

Rylan wrote:
bhaw wrote:Very interesting thinking... gay people should just stop being so sensitive about the slurs I use so I can continue to use them at my leisure. :lol:


Getting offended when its not even in a context referring to homosexuality just brings the stigma back on them. If you were born in the 90s you would actually notice that it rarely if ever refers to gays.


Again, interesting thinking. It's their fault they get offended that I use slurs and it's ok because everyone else does it. It sounds a lot like "I'm too lazy to consider what I'm saying so those people it affects should just deal with it."

EDIT: I'm sure this was the same reasoning people used the n word so much back before the Civil Rights movements. I go back to my earlier point... in 30 years, I am willing to bet the f word is more like the n word and doesn't go the other way and become regular usage. I may be wrong, but I'd bet on it.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,031
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

PreviousNext

Return to NPR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


e-mail