Giroux out indefinitely with a concussion

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Giroux out indefinitely with a concussion

Postby llipgh2 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:59 pm

meecrofilm wrote:
Tico Rick wrote:If we lived in a just world, Giroux would heal quickly and his concussion symptoms would pass on to Flyers' fans.

Haha, indeed. I wonder what Flyers fans' reactions would be if Pens fan chanted "Giroux sucks" if he's out the next time Philly comes to town. Of course, that would never happen for obvious reasons.

Those reasons being they'll be too busy chanting "Jagr sucks!" and "Talbot sucks!". :lol:
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:35 pm

Now Z's brother has a concussion, too. Maybe we should have an Official Concussion thread. It's sad.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby 60sixx on Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:57 pm

LeBrun just tweeted Skinner and Pitkanen also out with concussions......
60sixx
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby André on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:05 pm

Michalek now as well. Also Schenn (B) since about a week back.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Staggy on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:36 pm

This is freaking ridiculous.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:51 pm

It's definitely an epidemic. They're going to eventually have to make changes to the game, I think it's inevitable that all head shots are banned, fighting is banned, players with suspected concussions are removed from games whether they pass tests or not, changes to equipment. People will obviously complain about physicality being taken out of the game but it's even worse for the game to have its star players going down. Last year, Crosby was on pace for a special season and got taken out. Now this year the league's leading scorer has been taken out along with the leading goal scorer, not to mention Crosby is out again. The league needs to protect its players as much as possible, the game in general suffers without the best being there.

And yes, I realize that some of these are accidental/incidental, which is why banning head shots isn't enough. They really need to overhaul the way concussions are diagnosed/treated and equipment as much as possible. Maybe it's even to the point where they have to strongly consider making the rinks bigger. It appears that the NHL style of hockey has gotten too physical and violent for its own good.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby cma3585 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:01 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_Gir ... restler%29

So can we officially give him the nickname, Dink?

"Giroux's biggest exposure came when he performed as Doink The Clown's sidekick Dink in the World Wrestling Federation between 1993 and 1995.
cma3585
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pulp22 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:27 pm

Henry Hank wrote:It's definitely an epidemic. They're going to eventually have to make changes to the game, I think it's inevitable that all head shots are banned, fighting is banned, players with suspected concussions are removed from games whether they pass tests or not, changes to equipment. People will obviously complain about physicality being taken out of the game but it's even worse for the game to have its star players going down. Last year, Crosby was on pace for a special season and got taken out. Now this year the league's leading scorer has been taken out along with the leading goal scorer, not to mention Crosby is out again. The league needs to protect its players as much as possible, the game in general suffers without the best being there.

And yes, I realize that some of these are accidental/incidental, which is why banning head shots isn't enough. They really need to overhaul the way concussions are diagnosed/treated and equipment as much as possible. Maybe it's even to the point where they have to strongly consider making the rinks bigger. It appears that the NHL style of hockey has gotten too physical and violent for its own good.

I agree that something has to be done. It has to happen this season too because the game is becoming a joke.
pulp22
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Guinness on Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:47 pm

I mentioned in the "Crosby's Out" thread that maybe this is a result of Crosby's high-profile concussion and extended recovery. Maybe anything resembling a concussion symptom is being treated as though it IS a concussion by a lot of teams...

Here's hoping... such a crazy season, if not...
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:57 pm

cma3585 wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_Giroux_%28wrestler%29

So can we officially give him the nickname, Dink?

"Giroux's biggest exposure came when he performed as Doink The Clown's sidekick Dink in the World Wrestling Federation between 1993 and 1995.

That can't possibly be true? :? :)
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Staggy on Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:46 pm

Different Claude Giroux.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:54 pm

Henry Hank wrote:And yes, I realize that some of these are accidental/incidental, which is why banning head shots isn't enough. They really need to overhaul the way concussions are diagnosed/treated and equipment as much as possible. Maybe it's even to the point where they have to strongly consider making the rinks bigger. It appears that the NHL style of hockey has gotten too physical and violent for its own good.

They have, and that is why it seems as though this is some sort of recent happening in the sport.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:55 pm

Tico Rick wrote:If we lived in a just world, Giroux would heal quickly and his concussion symptoms would pass on to Flyers' fans.

Flyers' fans already act like they have concussion symptoms. It would be like throwing a match onto a bonfire.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:44 pm

I made the mistake of looking at a Crosby thread on a certain other sports forum.
Yikes....
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:29 pm

Take away the jersey, and this guy is one of the top 10 all around players in the game already. He has some of the best hands in the game, a great shot, vision, excellent passer, kills penalties, top PP and has an edge to his game. The fact that he does not shrink from contact or retaliation should remind you of another star player - since he is obviously the target of the other team, every night.

Forget about what the 14 year old idiots say about Crosby and the Penguins, this is terrible for Hockey. He is sorely missed in the league.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:37 pm

The Snapshot wrote:Take away the jersey, and this guy is one of the top 10 all around players in the game already. He has some of the best hands in the game, a great shot, vision, excellent passer, kills penalties, top PP and has an edge to his game. The fact that he does not shrink from contact or retaliation should remind you of another star player - since he is obviously the target of the other team, every night.

Forget about what the 14 year old idiots say about Crosby and the Penguins, this is terrible for Hockey. He is sorely missed in the league.

I fully agree with all of that.

If only dbags like Ron MacLean - whom I have lost all respect for - were able to display an understanding like that about Crosby. He won you a precious gold medal and is the best player in the world and you act like it's no thang for him to be missing. At least he can rub himself at night with a Jets jersey on.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby profpolisci on Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:05 pm

columbia wrote:... Ron MacLean - whom I have lost all respect for
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:52 am

Back tonight and had 4 points.....sound familiar? Here's hoping he can continue playing and doesn't relapse into symptoms.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pen48guins on Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:37 am

The Snapshot wrote:Back tonight and had 4 points.....sound familiar? Here's hoping he can continue playing and doesn't relapse into symptoms.

Sadly if he was on the Pens he probably would have been back out the game he was concussed. :pop: :face:
Pen48guins
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Desiato on Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:36 pm

Upon his return from a concussion, Giroux had a a 4 point game and 2g7a in his first 6 games back. In 7 games since then, he's been pointless in 5 games, has 0g2a, and is -9.

Premature return? I'm obviously speculating, but considering Lindros, Primeau and Pronger, one might think the Flyers would be more cautious....
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:54 pm

I want Giroux to do well. I like him as a player.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsports87 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:58 pm

Rylan wrote:I want Giroux to do well. I like him as a player.

I want him to fail as long as he is a Flyer.
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:52 pm

Desiato wrote:Upon his return from a concussion, Giroux had a a 4 point game and 2g7a in his first 6 games back. In 7 games since then, he's been pointless in 5 games, has 0g2a, and is -9.

Premature return? I'm obviously speculating, but considering Lindros, Primeau and Pronger, one might think the Flyers would be more cautious....

Well from the impression I got, Lavvy has bit of a too old-fashioned view of concussions.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:55 pm

From what I heard on the radio he fought someone last night. Not the smartest idea for someone coming off a concussion.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:09 pm

How would this be indicative of a premature return?
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to NPR