Subban, Plekanec fight in practice

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Subban, Plekanec fight in practice

Postby Gaucho on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:30 pm

Zach6668 wrote:The hatred level for Subban on this board is hilarious.

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensHckyFan79 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:35 am

Man watching that 10 best thing. it looked like Billy G could have taken that dudes head off. He looked like he was trying to chop a 20 ft' round tree with that swing.

PS Subban had it coming plus a lot more
PensHckyFan79
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:19 am

Gaucho wrote:

I agree.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Bathgate on Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:25 am

Physical_Graffiti wrote:
Gaucho wrote:

I agree.

Has to be racism.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:34 am

Bathgate wrote:
Physical_Graffiti wrote:
Gaucho wrote:

I agree.

Has to be racism.

Race might have little to do with it. It's more because he's as dirty as they come in the NHL.

The race thing just adds to it. Every other black player in the NHL (from what I can recall) has been tame in comparison. Even Donald Brashear or Georges Laraque. At least they were willing to go toe to toe with other guys, not slew-footing them when they weren't looking.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:35 am

We need wrangler to weigh in.....oh wait.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby llipgh2 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:40 am

Watching the NHL Network last night, had a story about Subban and his run in with his assistant coach.

Subban said it was no big deal. He was young, still learning and coach had a right to "rip a strip off me" and will probably do it again.

However, Montreal fans want him gone. They feel he's regressing, and a hinderance more than a help to the Habs. There are rumors as well Montreal is going to make him available for trade, although GMPG is denying it.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby joopen on Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:59 am

Bathgate wrote:
Physical_Graffiti wrote:
Gaucho wrote:

I agree.

Has to be racism.

Or is it the fact that he sliced Staal's foot, continually slew foots (is that how you pluralize it?) players on all teams, plays with no respect for anyone, has an attitude like a 5th grade bully, fights with his teammates, argues with coaches, and refuses to answer for anything he does?

Yea you're right it has to be racism. Not anything that he does on the ice.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby LeopardLetang on Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:03 pm

joopen wrote:
Bathgate wrote:
Physical_Graffiti wrote:
Gaucho wrote:

I agree.

Has to be racism.

Or is it the fact that he sliced Staal's foot, continually slew foots (is that how you pluralize it?) players on all teams, plays with no respect for anyone, has an attitude like a 5th grade bully, fights with his teammates, argues with coaches, and refuses to answer for anything he does?

i think the biggest thing on top of his careless play is that he's pretty darn good.

i think bringing race into - while at first i thought maybe there was something to it - now i think that's a pretty reckless thing to say and probably flat out incorrect. i admit, i watch canadiens games hoping he gets a shoulder full of kunitz - just like with ovechkin or hartnell. any players that are cheap hitters. but especially when they're also good offensively. ya, it's hypocritical. i love players like that on my team and i love to hate them on my opponents. it's fun. i don't root for datsyuk or zetterberg or iginla to get hit in the same way. it's nice to hit them but it doesn't satisfy my carnal 'get that dude' sports persona.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby LeopardLetang on Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:07 pm

oh also, if there is an irrational hatred of subban (more irrational than a hatred of hartnell for example) than i'd blame it first on the booth. steigy and errey harp on subban's use of his feet and make him out more of a villain.
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:55 pm

joopen wrote:
Bathgate wrote:
Physical_Graffiti wrote:
Gaucho wrote:

I agree.

Has to be racism.

Respect is a fallacy conjured up by the NHL players. There's never been any respect for anyone, people just like to believe there has been.

The Rocket was praised for his fiery attitude, yet you berate PK for it; why?

He answered the media just the other day.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby joopen on Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:11 pm

Physical_Graffiti wrote:
joopen wrote:Or is it the fact that he sliced Staal's foot, continually slew foots (is that how you pluralize it?) players on all teams, plays with no respect for anyone, has an attitude like a 5th grade bully, fights with his teammates, argues with coaches, and refuses to answer for anything he does?

Respect is a fallacy conjured up by the NHL players. There's never been any respect for anyone, people just like to believe there has been.

He turtled to ANDREW FERENCE. I'll repeat that. He turtled to ANDREW FERENCE. He's a giant puss sack who crosses the line yet won't ever answer the bell. Its not like Boston sent Chara, Thornton, or even Lucic after him. Andrew Ference stepped in and PK turtled. He's a disrespectful punk and he deserves to be criticized because of his actions. It has nothing to do with race (for me at least).

I'm not talking about Richard because I never saw him play. I've seen PK play and know he's not fiery. TK is fiery. PK is a punk who won't stand behind his own actions. He'll pay for it sooner or later tho.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:26 pm

joopen wrote:
Physical_Graffiti wrote:
joopen wrote:Or is it the fact that he sliced Staal's foot, continually slew foots (is that how you pluralize it?) players on all teams, plays with no respect for anyone, has an attitude like a 5th grade bully, fights with his teammates, argues with coaches, and refuses to answer for anything he does?

He turtled to ANDREW FERENCE. I'll repeat that. He turtled to ANDREW FERENCE. He's a giant puss sack who crosses the line yet won't ever answer the bell. Its not like Boston sent Chara, Thornton, or even Lucic after him. Andrew Ference stepped in and PK turtled. He's a disrespectful punk and he deserves to be criticized because of his actions. It has nothing to do with race (for me at least).

I'm not talking about Richard because I never saw him play. I've seen PK play and know he's not fiery. TK is fiery. PK is a punk who won't stand behind his own actions. He'll pay for it sooner or later tho.

Like I said, respect is a conjuration of the NHL and it's players, it doesn't actually exist.

What line is there?

The Pigman isn't fiery. Matt Cooke was until the NHL put a muzzle on him.

He turtled because he was jumped.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Headshot77 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:03 pm

Ive fought team mates before, not that big of a deal. (high school hockey)
Headshot77
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penmyst on Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:32 pm

LeopardLetang wrote:i think the biggest thing on top of his careless play is that he's pretty darn good.

Usually, guys like this that get away with garbage play... can do so because they have SOME talent/ability.

As long as they can provide some contribution to the team, most teams will put up with the crap.

Otherwise, teams aren't interested. Look at Sean Avery. As long as he was a contributing member of the team, his being a scumbag punk was accepted as part of the package. Once his contributions waned, so did his ticket to ride.

Or Terrell Owens, who has been in the news lately. A perfect example of this phenomena.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:13 am

Subban was sent a message last night. He played a season low 14:36, was benched for the entire 2nd period after taking an elbowing penalty while on a powerplay. Rumors are swirling that he is on the trade block. I doubt he gets moved though because I see Chris Pronger potential in him. Young, or not, he needs to knock off the dirty play. Someone will eventually get tired of it and bust him up.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:19 am

Pitts wrote:Subban was sent a message last night. He played a season low 14:36, was benched for the entire 2nd period after taking an elbowing penalty while on a powerplay. Rumors are swirling that he is on the trade block. I doubt he gets moved though because I see Chris Pronger potential in him. Young, or not, he needs to knock off the dirty play. Someone will eventually get tired of it and bust him up.

He may have the physical ability, but I do not see him having the mental make up.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:27 am

maybe his race makes him stand out more, but the hate here is not racially motivated. if one thinks it is, then why even come here and engaged with such bigots?

aside from obvious troll being obvious, i don't know how someone wouldn't get that he deserves a special brand of hate for how he plays. almost every time we play him, he pulls something dirty. even hartnell and ovechkin aren't as consistent.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:22 pm

He's a turd. He is either extremely careless, and not doing anything to correct it... Or he tries to hurt people. Those are the only two options, and neither is acceptable. Add to that his piss poor attitude, failure to man up when confronted, and apparent free pass with the league office... THAT'S why people hate him. To imply it's because of the color of his skin makes you look really shortsighted, and also does a tremendous disservice to black hockey players who play the game how it's supposed to be played.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:27 pm

... has anyone in this thread said they hate him cause of race? I'm pretty sure we all hate him cause he's a scumbag on the ice.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Froggy on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:30 pm

The only racist statement in this thread is the idea that the only reason to hate a black person is because they are black. I think if anyone is guilty of not looking past the color of someone's skin, it's the people that say the hate is influenced by race.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:08 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:... has anyone in this thread said they hate him cause of race? I'm pretty sure we all hate him cause he's a scumbag on the ice.

I sorta tried to play Devil's Advocate with it, but then I realized it wasn't about race, because guys like Georges Laraque, Donald Brashear, Mike Grier, etc weren't even close to Subban's level of dirty/hated
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:12 pm

Froggy wrote:The only racist statement in this thread is the idea that the only reason to hate a black person is because they are black. I think if anyone is guilty of not looking past the color of someone's skin, it's the people that say the hate is influenced by race.

This. I am influenced by slew footing everyone when they beat you to the puck.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Tomas on Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:13 pm

Plekanec explains the reasons behind the fight in the interview with Czech "MF Dnes daily"

"PK Subban is in essentially a good hockey player, but we need from him to play for the team and to be responsible toward all teammates,"

"He behaved [irresponsibly] during matches or training sessions. He has big problems with it and he is not able to follow certain rules, even after several meetings and discussions. Until he learns how to deal with it, the problems will continue. It is simply necessary for somebody to be constantly pushing him to be responsible."

About the actual incident:

"It happened multiple times that things did not work out with him as they should. That pissed me a lot. Such things really bother me. I do not appreciate when someone is not accountable to the team. I'd forgive when somebody plays badly. We all play bad in Montreal now. But responsibility and all that stuff must be 100%. And that's simply not like that with him... "

When questioned about the specifics:

"Just before that particular workout we had a meeting and then we discussed how we need to play and how we need to practice. And he jumped on the ice and started doing spinoramas and stuff like that. That started it all."

More here:

http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... 55_nhl_cig
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:22 pm

That pissed me a lot.

:lol:
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch