Flat bottom V cut

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Flat bottom V cut

Postby CERV96 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:58 pm

Anyone ever have it done to their skates? Just had it done at perani's this week. Will not get to use it until tomorrow. Does it really make a difference with this sort of cut?
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Flat bottom V cut

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:24 am

CERV96 wrote:Anyone ever have it done to their skates? Just had it done at perani's this week. Will not get to use it until tomorrow. Does it really make a difference with this sort of cut?

Is that the one where you're skates take longer to dull?

I vaguely remember a Spectator article on this.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby jimjom on Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:33 am

I usually stick with the half inch hollow. Do you get good edges with a flat bottom V?
Got mine done at Peranis Sunday they didn't do too good, getting them redone at Premiere Saturday. Had no edges.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:05 am

I think I have the V cut. It's just not very deep.

I have something like the 90/50, I think. Not really sure what they sharpened my skates as (have only had them sharpened once and no clue what they gave me)
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shoeshine boy on Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:29 pm

Physical_Graffiti wrote:Is that the one where you're skates take longer to dull?

I haven't used it because I have my own sharpener but my friends who use it have said just the opposite, they feel that they need to sharpen more often than they did before. maybe you get used to it though.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:59 pm

shoeshine boy wrote:
Physical_Graffiti wrote:Is that the one where you're skates take longer to dull?

I haven't used it because I have my own sharpener but my friends who use it have said just the opposite, they feel that they need to sharpen more often than they did before. maybe you get used to it though.

That makes sense (because the dig into the ice more, right?).
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:29 pm

I'm pretty sure only like 2 NHL teams use it... supposed to give you the best of both worlds - bite and glide

No reason to use it unless you're having problems finding the right hollow (ie deeper isn't enough glide and shallower isn't enough bite)
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Elementary Penguin on Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:02 am

I use it and I like it. It definitely does what it says. Before the V, I would use a shallower cut to keep my speed up. I have the same speed, but I don't lose any of the bite in turns or stops like before.

I would say that you do have to sharpen it a little more often though.
Elementary Penguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby jimjom on Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:59 am

How many games on average can you get between sharpenings? At a half inch hollow I can get 4 games to my liking but I prefer sharper edges for quick turns and short bursts to gain speed then longer strides.

I take it a real hockey store and not a place that puts HS kids on the sharpener after a few days would be the best place to go.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby demangone on Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:45 pm

I have yet to try it but have heard great things but only relative to one's skating ability and the skill level of the person sharpening the skates. Perani's is probably the worst local place to get your skates sharpened, especially for flat bottom v.
demangone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby CERV96 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:22 pm

Just tried them out last night at pickup. I definitly felt a difference in turning and speed. Only thing that felt different was stopping. I will have to adjust with that. A friend of mine told me the same thing as mentioned above that you do have to get them sharpened a lot more.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Elementary Penguin on Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:44 am

jimjom wrote:How many games on average can you get between sharpenings? At a half inch hollow I can get 4 games to my liking but I prefer sharper edges for quick turns and short bursts to gain speed then longer strides.

I take it a real hockey store and not a place that puts HS kids on the sharpener after a few days would be the best place to go.

I typically try to get them sharpened every 4-6 games, depending on how the feel.

You have to find someone who does a job you like though. I went to a new store for a while, and it was just awful, then found someone else and it is perfect every time. They definitely have to know what they're doing.

As for stopping, yes, it feels shallower at first, but you learn how to use the edge to get bite as you need it.
Elementary Penguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:02 am

What does everyone recommend for getting both bite and speed?

I'm getting them sharpened before our next game, want to see if they can be better.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to NPR