Thomas blows off team visit to the White House

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Thomas blows off team visit to the White House

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:03 pm

KG wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Boston Globe article on Timmy and the team:

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bru ... to_bruins/

For several months, Bruins personnel ranging from owner Jeremy Jacobs to the rank-and-file players knew that Tim Thomas wasn’t planning to attend Monday’s ceremony at the White House. None was surprised that Thomas, one of two Americans on last year’s Stanley Cup-winning roster, would be the lone dissident.

It was Timmy being Timmy.

“[Expletive] selfish [expletive],’’ one team source said.

The article says that he often puts himself ahead of the team, with his "me against the world" personality from being bounced around the minors and Europe earlier in his career. The writer also feels that it won't affect the locker room, as they are all used to his shenanigans.

I think this is a little over the top. It should really be his decision if he wants to attend or not. I'd be surprised if any of his teammates really cared. The media is blowing it up as usual...

Fortunately for the defending stanley cup champions, goalies can't put themselves ahead of the team, there is no way to succeed without your team succeeding as well. I guess thats why he won the conn smythe. :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:56 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Fortunately for the defending stanley cup champions, goalies can't put themselves ahead of the team, there is no way to succeed without your team succeeding as well. I guess thats why he won the conn smythe. :pop:

Bobby Lou and the Florida Panthers say "hai". :pop:
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby eddysnake on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:42 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
“[Expletive] selfish [expletive],’’ one team source said.

best. quote. ever.
eddysnake
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby marek on Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:15 pm

Wow... LOL... Thomas really made some statement...

Gotta love those ingrate millionaires!
Word of advice Timmy: Keep paying those taxes! LOL
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bathgate on Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:27 pm

You knew it was inevitable that someone would criticize Thomas’ action as being racist. Jack Todd of the Montreal Gazette, did so in his 1/30 column:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Thomas+shows+lack+class/6070886/story.html

The key paragraphs:

“Thomas's decision to skip a team visit to the White House because he buys the garbage pumped out by Glenn Beck and his ilk was bad enough. But then, having pulled a highly public stunt to call attention to his whacko politics, Thomas blamed the media for paying attention.

Look, if this cretin wants to stand outside the White House and spew his drivel, that's free speech. But standing up the president? All that does is show that Thomas has the class of a swamp rat.

What's worse, you know Thomas would not have done this with the liberal Democrat Bill Clinton in the White House. Truth is, he felt free to dis Barack Obama, because Obama is black.”

The Wikipedia article on Jack Todd reports that he was a U.S. Army deserter during the Vietnam era.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:31 pm

Bathgate wrote:You knew it was inevitable that someone would criticize Thomas’ action as being racist. Jack Todd of the Montreal Gazette, did so in his 1/30 column:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Thomas+shows+lack+class/6070886/story.html

The key paragraphs:

“Thomas's decision to skip a team visit to the White House because he buys the garbage pumped out by Glenn Beck and his ilk was bad enough. But then, having pulled a highly public stunt to call attention to his whacko politics, Thomas blamed the media for paying attention.

Look, if this cretin wants to stand outside the White House and spew his drivel, that's free speech. But standing up the president? All that does is show that Thomas has the class of a swamp rat.

What's worse, you know Thomas would not have done this with the liberal Democrat Bill Clinton in the White House. Truth is, he felt free to dis Barack Obama, because Obama is black.”

The Wikipedia article on Jack Todd reports that he was a U.S. Army deserter during the Vietnam era.

Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:31 pm

Yes. There are no other possible reasons to dislike Obama. It HAS to be because he's black.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:33 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:
Spoiler:
Bathgate wrote:You knew it was inevitable that someone would criticize Thomas’ action as being racist. Jack Todd of the Montreal Gazette, did so in his 1/30 column:

The key paragraphs:

lolwut?

That's some shoddy "journalism".
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:35 pm

columbia wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:
Spoiler:

The key paragraphs:

lolwut?

That's some shoddy "journalism".

Dave Hodge later apologized for saying he alluded to anything and it wasn't meant to show that Thomas was racist.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:36 pm

Hodge claims it was "satirical". It's more a cheap shot than anything else. Leave kids out of it.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:59 pm

It took me about 3 times reading it to figure out what he was even insinuating
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby littlemoonboot on Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:24 pm

llipgh2 wrote:Hodge claims it was "satirical". It's more a cheap shot than anything else. Leave kids out of it.

Agreed, it was a horrible attempt at humor.

I find it hard to believe Hodge didn't mean to imply Tim was racist. He was probably trying to save face because he (hopefully) realized what a d-bag he sounded like, especially bringing the kids into it.

It's silly that this whole thing still being discussed. Thomas fashions himself a lone wolf, his teammates have always known that and whatever makes the guy tick. As long as he wins them games, the rest is just details. Not really sure what's left to be called "news" at this point.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:37 pm

littlemoonboot wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:Hodge claims it was "satirical". It's more a cheap shot than anything else. Leave kids out of it.

Agreed, it was a horrible attempt at humor.

I find it hard to believe Hodge didn't mean to imply Tim was racist. He was probably trying to save face because he (hopefully) realized what a d-bag he sounded like, especially bringing the kids into it.

It's silly that this whole thing still being discussed. Thomas fashions himself a lone wolf, his teammates have always known that and whatever makes the guy tick. As long as he wins them games, the rest is just details. Not really sure what's left to be called "news" at this point.

I'm not entirely sure he was even going to "apologize" until TSN made him do it.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby RJW76 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:35 pm

Just shows how sickening Canadian media has become. Why are they opining about an American player and his American politics?
RJW76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:02 pm

RJW76 wrote:Just shows how sickening Canadian media has become. Why are they opining about an American player and his American politics?

The same reason that Hodge posted what he did:

Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:38 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:

The key paragraphs:

Thats plain irresponsible. Should be fired for the insinuation. No question.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Factorial on Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:42 pm

Thomas getting slammed by Boston media for refusing to discuss his recent tweets:

But he doesn’t want the media talking to him about it, and he told a gaggle of reporters, bloggers, and photographers Thursday at the Bruins practice facility in Wilmington that he’ll simply stop talking whenever he is asked about the personal beliefs he is posting for the world to see.

Perhaps Thomas is just naive, acting the way a child does when putting hands to the side of his or her head to block out what a parent or playmate is saying.

Or worse, maybe he’s delusional, truly believing that he can post about the perceived evils of big government and what he believes are threats to religious freedom, and that no one in the media should think, or has the right, to ask for further explanation or context.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bru ... ?page=full
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:44 pm

I'd like to know his thoughts on the Boston buffet scene.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:05 pm

eh... it's probably reporters baiting him to give sensational answers. i'd probably avoid dealing with that, too.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:17 pm

He did say to the media they had they right to ask questions. And he had the right to choose not to answer.

Childish? Perhaps. Delusion? I think this op/ed writer has his panties in a twist.

The bigger problem is the media thinks we give a crap what celebrities of any poltical stripe have to say.
I really don't care who Orpik supports for president. I just care he supports Letang when they are on the ice
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Froggy on Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:42 pm

if members of the media implied i was a racist who named my children after the KKK the last time i said anything, i'd be hesitant to give them anything else, too. that's all im saying. who cares what thomas thinks? is anyone sticking a microphone in the face of pretty much any celebrity, and asking them about their WACKY liberal beliefs? why is this even an issue?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fast B on Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:45 pm

Froggy wrote:eh... it's probably reporters baiting him to give sensational answers. i'd probably avoid dealing with that, too.

He's in a position where he's expected to do media interviews and he's posting a bunch of stuff in the public domain; it's fair game to ask him about it. He doesn't have to answer, true, but why post his opinions in a public forum if not for a response?
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby littlemoonboot on Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:08 pm

I felt Tim had every right to not attend the White House reception if he did not want to -- but I would say that he's definitely kicking the hornets nest now as he continues to wade into politics on Facebook. It is true that he is still free to say what he has to say off the ice in his personal life and on his personal page, but since it's a public page he has to expect that it's going to become an issue with the media (especially in Boston) and ultimately because of the continued media distraction -- it also is going to become more of an issue with his team. He will have to decide what is more important during the season, because the media is definitely not going to just let it go, especially during an election year. In a perfect world, he would be allowed to just say his peace in his personal life off the ice and not be hounded about it by the media in the locker room, but we know that's just not going to happen.

From a Pens fans perspective -- Let them have it, Timmy, let the circus continue! Bring the turmoil! Rile up those reporters, let things get awkward...anything worse for any potential east opponent makes things better for the Pens and us in April and beyond. :thumb:
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby llipgh2 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:38 pm

I think his teammates have always known he's a wing nut, and have dealt with it. The media just gets carried away with things and makes them into bigger issues.

The whole "OHNOES SECRET PLAYER MEETING STRIP SID OF THE C!" is a perfect example of that.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penmyst on Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:09 am

Fast B wrote:
He's in a position where he's expected to do media interviews and he's posting a bunch of stuff in the public domain; it's fair game to ask him about it. He doesn't have to answer, true, but why post his opinions in a public forum if not for a response?

Maybe he doesn't want the banter in his interviews from sports media? And why wouldn't he have the right to decline to answer non-hockey related questions from sports reporters?

llipgh2 wrote:He did say to the media they had they right to ask questions. And he had the right to choose not to answer.

Childish? Perhaps. Delusion? I think this op/ed writer has his panties in a twist.

The bigger problem is the media thinks we give a crap what celebrities of any poltical stripe have to say.
I really don't care who Orpik supports for president. I just care he supports Letang when they are on the ice

Isn't the childish part---- the media crying because he won't answer their questions about non-hockey related matters? Just because they are allowed to ask it, these guys think it implies he MUST answer it else he is the bad guy?

And I'll agree with you that these sports reporters ought to not be asking non-sports related questions.

But then this is the age of Oprah. And I have to constantly see the player's "family" in the stands on camera, or hear about "momma Malkin" or "Troy Crosby" or "Mr. Staal" etc. Because Lord knows I NEED to and MUST know about family and personal life of players..... else I just can't care about the sport. /sarcasm off

That's why sports reporters don't just report on sports any more. Instead they search for salacious and invasive personal stories to keep the masses interested. Witness the ridiculous Giselle garbage around the SB. Why is she even there, and why do we ever have to hear about anything she says about football when she is so obviously ignorant about the sport? Why, because she's Tom Brady's toy that's why! :roll:
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to NPR