CBJ Owner sends email

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

CBJ Owner sends email

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:37 pm

I'm on the CBJ email list because I bought tickets for the Pens game last year.

Their owner sent out an email this morning (wall of text):

Spoiler:
Dear Blue Jackets Fan,

My father held a longstanding belief that a major league sports franchise would prove an important catalyst in the growth and development of Columbus. After more than 30 years of effort, the opportunity to make his belief reality presented itself with the NHL awarding a franchise to Columbus in 1997. To my mind, it is clear he was right in his vision. With the Blue Jackets and the Arena as the anchor, Nationwide Insurance has brought vibrancy to our downtown in the Arena District that simply wouldn't have happened without the team.

That said, there is no question our on-ice performance is nowhere near what it needs to be. All of you are disappointed and many are angry. I and the entire Blue Jackets organization share these feelings. I thought as we approached mid-season at the All-Star break, it would be a good time to reflect on where we've been and offer some thoughts about how we go forward. We have taken actions and will continue our push to improve.

Toward the end of last season, we did a thorough evaluation of our team's strengths and weaknesses. From there, a plan was developed balancing our needs against our tradable assets. During the summer, we believed we executed the plan well and took a good step forward. Most people seemed to agree and we were excited for the season to start.

Unfortunately and surprisingly, we opened the season terribly and have struggled ever since. Disappointing is not a strong enough word.

We began looking at why our team was not performing at an acceptable level very early this season and assessing where we are and where we want to go. We added Craig Patrick, an experienced and highly respected figure in the hockey community, as a senior advisor to assist in this endeavor. While this process is not complete, we have clearly defined our options and are finalizing our plans.

I understand you want to know what we're going to do to fix this, but it is important for us to maintain a degree of discretion to prevent putting ourselves at a competitive disadvantage. I can tell you action will be taken in the coming weeks and months, be it around the trade deadline, the entry draft and/or free agency that will be indicative of our direction.

Our goal as an organization is to build a team that wins consistently and competes for the Stanley Cup. Anything less is unacceptable! Everything we do in the coming weeks, months and years will be done to that end and everyone in our organization – myself, management, staff, coaches and players – will be held to that standard.

I am very thankful and appreciative of the dedication and passion you have shown as a Blue Jackets fan and I am committed to giving you a team of which you can be proud.

Sincerely,

John P. McConnell

Craig Patrick to CBJ GM (e4)
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: CBJ Owner sends email

Postby Malkamaniac on Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:42 pm

Embarrassing. It was kind of sad last year when the Pens invaded and they got blown out for the most part. Awesome for Pens fans, but terrible for Blue Jackets fans who had to sit through that.

I remember talking with a few of them after the game and hearing how disappointed they were with the ownership and GM of the franchise.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:46 pm

MRandall25 wrote:I'm on the CBJ email list because I bought tickets for the Pens game last year.

Their owner sent out an email this morning (wall of text):

Spoiler:
Dear Blue Jackets Fan,

My father held a longstanding belief that a major league sports franchise would prove an important catalyst in the growth and development of Columbus. After more than 30 years of effort, the opportunity to make his belief reality presented itself with the NHL awarding a franchise to Columbus in 1997. To my mind, it is clear he was right in his vision. With the Blue Jackets and the Arena as the anchor, Nationwide Insurance has brought vibrancy to our downtown in the Arena District that simply wouldn't have happened without the team.

That said, there is no question our on-ice performance is nowhere near what it needs to be. All of you are disappointed and many are angry. I and the entire Blue Jackets organization share these feelings. I thought as we approached mid-season at the All-Star break, it would be a good time to reflect on where we've been and offer some thoughts about how we go forward. We have taken actions and will continue our push to improve.

Toward the end of last season, we did a thorough evaluation of our team's strengths and weaknesses. From there, a plan was developed balancing our needs against our tradable assets. During the summer, we believed we executed the plan well and took a good step forward. Most people seemed to agree and we were excited for the season to start.

Unfortunately and surprisingly, we opened the season terribly and have struggled ever since. Disappointing is not a strong enough word.

We began looking at why our team was not performing at an acceptable level very early this season and assessing where we are and where we want to go. We added Craig Patrick, an experienced and highly respected figure in the hockey community, as a senior advisor to assist in this endeavor. While this process is not complete, we have clearly defined our options and are finalizing our plans.

I understand you want to know what we're going to do to fix this, but it is important for us to maintain a degree of discretion to prevent putting ourselves at a competitive disadvantage. I can tell you action will be taken in the coming weeks and months, be it around the trade deadline, the entry draft and/or free agency that will be indicative of our direction.

Our goal as an organization is to build a team that wins consistently and competes for the Stanley Cup. Anything less is unacceptable! Everything we do in the coming weeks, months and years will be done to that end and everyone in our organization – myself, management, staff, coaches and players – will be held to that standard.

I am very thankful and appreciative of the dedication and passion you have shown as a Blue Jackets fan and I am committed to giving you a team of which you can be proud.

Sincerely,

John P. McConnell

Craig Patrick to CBJ GM (e4)

I am convinced that's why he was hired, to eventually become the GM.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby nocera on Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:56 pm

"I can tell you that at some point, at some time, be it tomorrow or at the trade deadline or the draft or free agency or next year via trade or waiver wire pick-up or coaching change or GM change or at the 2013 deadline or the following year, we as an organization will make some sort of move in which we will direct ourselves to being a sort of better hockey team."
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby brwi on Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:44 pm

Get rid of CP as a senior adviser, put anyone on the roster up on the trading block, bring in a new GM....then the fans might take you a little more seriously.

The game passed by CP a while ago and I don't think he's an asset at this point. Neither is Jeff Carter or Rick Nash, except for trading away for something that might help. You can't build a franchise around either because those guys are not elite players by any stretch and Columbus is really struggling to establish some kind of foundation to move forward with.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:55 pm

2013 all star game hosts
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Return to NPR