Kovalchuk owns Schenn

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Kovalchuk owns Schenn

Postby Streaks House on Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:08 pm

I wonder what Darren Dreger has to say about this dangerous trip?
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby TheHammer24 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:00 pm

I'll be honest. I don't think slew footing is nearly as dangerous as every one makes it out to be. It's a crap play and has nothing to do with a "hockey play" but in terms of injury risk, 98% of 2-minute boarding penalties are more dangerous than slew foots. Its a total, total crap play, kind of like spearing, but in terms of injury risk, it's not that dangerous.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Froggy on Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:07 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:I'll be honest. I don't think slew footing is nearly as dangerous as every one makes it out to be. It's a crap play and has nothing to do with a "hockey play" but in terms of injury risk, 98% of 2-minute boarding penalties are more dangerous than slew foots. Its a total, total crap play, kind of like spearing, but in terms of injury risk, it's not that dangerous.

i think the distinction is that boarding stems from hitting, which is a normal hockey action. kicking someone's feet out from underneath them, or spearing them... those are NOT normal hockey plays, and introduce completely unnecessary and avoidable risk of serious injury.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:07 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:I'll be honest. I don't think slew footing is nearly as dangerous as every one makes it out to be. It's a crap play and has nothing to do with a "hockey play" but in terms of injury risk, 98% of 2-minute boarding penalties are more dangerous than slew foots. Its a total, total crap play, kind of like spearing, but in terms of injury risk, it's not that dangerous.

Falling backwards, skates kicking out from under you.

Hit head on the ice = concussion. Better hope no one is in front when the skates go flying.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:21 pm

:?:

I don't know what to tell you other than, from experience, it's pretty dangerous. If you were expecting it at all times, maybe not, but given that it usually happens by total surprise and in awkward areas of the ice (basically times and areas where you aren't suspecting much more than jostling for position), it ramps up the risk.

It's dirty and dangerous. I don't really have any better way of saying it, and down playing it is pretty silly, IMO.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:26 pm

It should be a 5 minute major.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:49 pm

bhaw wrote:

I don't know what to tell you other than, from experience, it's pretty dangerous. If you were expecting it at all times, maybe not, but given that it usually happens by total surprise and in awkward areas of the ice (basically times and areas where you aren't suspecting much more than jostling for position), it ramps up the risk.

It's dirty and dangerous. I don't really have any better way of saying it, and down playing it is pretty silly, IMO.

hockey people say it's dangerous, so i guess i'll believe them. but i don't think i've ever seen someone get injured from the subban-type slew foots. the ones at high speed near the boards - yes. but those little flicks when 2 guys aren't really moving? they haven't caused any real damage that i've seen. but i'll still defer to the guys with personal experience to gauge how bad they are.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:09 pm

shmenguin wrote:
bhaw wrote:

hockey people say it's dangerous, so i guess i'll believe them. but i don't think i've ever seen someone get injured from the subban-type slew foots. the ones at high speed near the boards - yes. but those little flicks when 2 guys aren't really moving? they haven't caused any real damage that i've seen. but i'll still defer to the guys with personal experience to gauge how bad they are.

It should be a penalty. Its dangerous and has no place in the game.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:37 pm

No sir. Just ignoring the idea of the falling back on your head, your back, your tailbone, or into the boards (either backwards or sliding forward into them). It's just the whole you can't prepare for the fall, it's unexpected and you fall on all of your weight, onto ice, which hurts badly. It's a terrible play and can cause horrible injury - you can take a knee or ankle out with it too. To say that a slew foot is not that dangerous is really a silly thing to say to put it bluntly and nicely. It's a match penalty for a very good reason.

mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:03 pm

Didn't Eaton miss a long stretch because of a slew foot? I might be mistaken.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Staggy on Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:23 pm

Chefpatrick871 wrote:Didn't Eaton miss a long stretch because of a slew foot? I might be mistaken.

Yep, pretty sure Sturm got him and he fell into the boards wrong.

I've been slew footed a couple time and one of the times came away with a bruised tailbone.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby drtofu66 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:30 pm

mikey287 wrote:It's a match penalty for a very good reason.

And yet in NONE of those videos was a match penalty called. Not even a minor is called in any of these incidents from what they showed and I can't recall a match penalty being called in-game for slewfooting in the last decade.

What's up with that?
drtofu66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby mikey287 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:35 pm

It's a tough call to make. You have to be sure about those types of calls. You can't just throw around majors and match penalties on a whim. You have to be 100% sure you know what you're doing, you're tossing a player for a game, in many leagues it's an auto-suspension, I mean it's like the penalties that can be minors and majors. You don't just want to throw out 5 minute majors and take over the game, you better be damn sure of a major call if you make it.

In those examples, it's not 100% clear cut that it's a slewfoot necessarily at live speed (remember, we have the power of retrospect here)...if I'm a ref, I need to find a call that isn't a slewfoot and call that.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sharpshootr55 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:55 am

I suffered a grade 2 sprain of my wrist because of a slew foot, missed 2 months of action junior year in high school. A friend of mine tore a gash about 7 inches long in the back of his calf when he got slew footed and got his skate kicked into his other leg. Another teammate was concussed, missed all but 3 games that year. I worked a game where a kid got taken off on a stretcher when he had no feeling in his legs after getting slew footed by the net and smacked the back of his neck off the crossbar.

It's dangerous.
sharpshootr55
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:31 am

sharpshootr55 wrote:

I suffered a grade 2 sprain of my wrist because of a slew foot, missed 2 months of action junior year in high school. A friend of mine tore a gash about 7 inches long in the back of his calf when he got slew footed and got his skate kicked into his other leg. Another teammate was concussed, missed all but 3 games that year. I worked a game where a kid got taken off on a stretcher when he had no feeling in his legs after getting slew footed by the net and smacked the back of his neck off the crossbar.

It's dangerous.

Sure you don't play in the Colosseum?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sharpshootr55 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:42 am

Rylan wrote:
sharpshootr55 wrote:

It's dangerous.

Sure you don't play in the Colosseum?

Some games it sure felt like it. Then again, I've been playing for over competitively 16 years now. Been coaching a few years now too, so I've seen my share of bad plays.

Obviously not every instance turns out like that, I was just making the point that I've seen it at it's worst unfortunately, and it is a dangerous play. Just my opinion though.
sharpshootr55
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:35 am

I was slew footed once. we both went down and into the boards. I bent my knees, my skates hit the boards and kicked out and my knees ended up going into the boards. Basically I protected myself. The kid who took me down did not, and came out of it with a broken ankle.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby drtofu66 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:09 pm

Rinaldo is having a hearing with Shanny today for this hit (called a charge during the game):

Not an egregious play but he's clearly headhunting, the hit's a little late, and despite seeing the puck being long gone he doesn't let up on it at all. Considering he was just fined for 2 infractions in one game and he's gotten away with worse dirty plays all season it's well overdue that they sit him down and discipline him appropriately, even if this one isn't all that bad.
drtofu66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:11 pm

can't tell if he leaves his feet before or after contact, but overall, that's a bull**** hit. the puck was long gone and it was in a danger zone...though i forgot if you get more or less leniency if the hit takes place behind the net.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:12 pm

If he gets anything less than 2 games, given his history, I'm officially over Shanahan.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Staggy on Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:43 pm

Why the **** is this guy even in the league?
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:54 pm

Staggy wrote:Why the **** is this guy even in the league?

Because he plays for Philly
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:16 pm

MRandall25 wrote:If he gets anything less than 2 games, given his history, I'm officially over Shanahan.

If he gets more than 2 games, I'm officially over Shanahan. It's a predatory hit, but it wasn't that bad. If they want to send a message specifically to Rinaldo and penalizing him for being Rinaldo and give him a game...fine, whatever, who cares. But, honestly, I was watching this game with a Flyers fan that doesn't quite know the game all that well and he said, "so, is anything gonna happen with that?" and I said, "I'm sure they'll review it, but honestly, I'm fine with just the 2 minute penalty there and nothing more - it wasn't that nasty of a hit. Not every charge is a suspension or else the charge would be an automatic match penalty"
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:19 pm

Agree, mikey.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:22 pm

I'll admit I didn't even watch the hit, but I say Rinaldo's name and thought "How much more **** are they gonna let this guy do before someone's career is ended"
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to NPR