GMs seek a one-time cap free buyout clause with new CBA

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: GMs seek a one-time cap free buyout clause with new CBA

Postby Kraftster on Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:11 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
Rylan wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:I hope the Pens fight to not have this rule applied.

NHLPA would never agree to this. But even if if did happen, it would ruin everything the first lockout accomplished.

I'm not sure this adversely effects players. They get paid and play somewhere else. Seems like the benefit to players would also allow GM's to take a chance on a big deal for someone they may otherwise offer shorter terms/fewer $.

Its the NHL that should shut this down. Its more cap circumvention. Without looking a the rules, is there anything that would stop GMPH from paying off Bryz and resigning him?

Yeah, all of the amnesty provisions that I've read/heard about would have the player receiving their entire salary.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:57 pm

Rylan wrote:

NHLPA would never agree to this. But even if if did happen, it would ruin everything the first lockout accomplished.

The NHLPA would love this! There's nothing but upside for the players.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Kaizer on Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:24 pm

Froggy wrote:
Kaizer wrote:if it happens, make sure it cant be used on any existing contracts. that'll shut them up and force impulse buyers to stop making it rain on every tom, dick, and tyler kennedy that hits 20g in a season.

Yeah. Stick it to those players signing reasonable contracts at a manageable term instead of bumping up their value in free agency. Wait... What?

i'm saying that adding this rule would make the whole thing go away, or they'd be forced to admit that they just want a bailout of their current dumb mistakes.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mongoose87 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:32 pm

I'd support it, if there was a clause that made the GM that had signed the contract have to hold a press conference, in which he detailed how dumb he was for agreeing to it, in the first place.
Last edited by Mongoose87 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Fire0nice228 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:56 pm

Players would love this, get paid, sign a new deal, and get paid again! Paid twice for the same amount of work, who wouldn't love that?!

This whole amnesty clause is a joke.. Thats what you morons get for signing Scott Gomez to a cap hit of 7 mil a year (or trading for it).. I mean seriously.. the risks to such contracts are very clearly obvious.

They can buy players out at any time (Yashin, Drury rumored before retirement) but the 2/3 of the salary counts towards the cap. They want it to not count towards the cap in this instance.. you made your bed, lie in it.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Staggy on Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:05 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
Rylan wrote:

I'm not sure this adversely effects players. They get paid and play somewhere else. Seems like the benefit to players would also allow GM's to take a chance on a big deal for someone they may otherwise offer shorter terms/fewer $.

Its the NHL that should shut this down. Its more cap circumvention. Without looking a the rules, is there anything that would stop GMPH from paying off Bryz and resigning him?

Yes there is:

Spoiler:
Chris Pronger and his salary.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:03 pm

Mongoose87 wrote:I'd support it, if there was a clause that made the GM that had signed the contract have to hold a pres conference, in which he detailed how dumb he was for agreeing to it, in the first place.

Sather would be talking to days...
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to NPR