Matt Moulson

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Matt Moulson

Postby Point Breeze Penguins on Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:22 pm

Is close to his 3rd straight 30-goal season....
Point Breeze Penguins
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Matt Moulson

Postby mikey287 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:57 pm

Wake Up CP!
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:01 pm

mikey287 wrote:Wake Up CP!

Why do you want the Blue Jackets to get Moulson? :pop:
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pensfan1989 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:24 pm

Rylan wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Wake Up CP!

Why do you want the Blue Jackets to get Moulson? :pop:

Nash for Moulson E4
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Fire0nice228 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:27 pm

He'll obviously get 30. I know he was Penguins property and would fill a whole for this team now but noone can blame the org for not holding on to this guy IMO.

Love having him as sleeper pick in fantasy last year, as he was still relatively unknown/unproven as a 30 goal guy. I grabbed him late in 3 leagues. It didn work this season lol
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:16 am

Fire0nice228 wrote:He'll obviously get 30. I know he was Penguins property and would fill a whole for this team now but noone can blame the org for not holding on to this guy IMO.

Love having him as sleeper pick in fantasy last year, as he was still relatively unknown/unproven as a 30 goal guy. I grabbed him late in 3 leagues. It didn work this season lol

What is it they say about blind squirrels? :pop:

Every team will score within 50 goals of median, so someone on each team will get there or at least close. On a better team, I'm not sure he doesn't get shuffled downward. Good for him, though. I like his style and appreciate a guy that keep pumping on a bad team.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Gaucho on Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:26 pm

He's no Parenteau, he's actually pretty good.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Zach6668 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:01 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
Fire0nice228 wrote:He'll obviously get 30. I know he was Penguins property and would fill a whole for this team now but noone can blame the org for not holding on to this guy IMO.

Every team will score within 50 goals of median, so someone on each team will get there or at least close. On a better team, I'm not sure he doesn't get shuffled downward. Good for him, though. I like his style and appreciate a guy that keep pumping on a bad team.

Like, you can denigrate him all you want, but you couldn't just stick Craig Adams in his spot and he'd score THREE CONSECUTIVE 30 GOAL seasons.

It takes a ton of skill and determination to do that, and I, for one, am really impressed with what he's become.

I literally laughed out loud and called out a guy in my keeper league when he signed Moulson to a measly one-year deal when he was still with LA. He scored 30 the next year, and I'm eating crow because of it. (So is he for not giving him the league max 5-year deal ;)).

I never understand why everyone here just loves ripping on everyone, including current Penguins. Negativity sucks.
Zach6668
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:03 pm

Zach6668 wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

Like, you can denigrate him all you want, but you couldn't just stick Craig Adams in his spot and he'd score THREE CONSECUTIVE 30 GOAL seasons.

It takes a ton of skill and determination to do that, and I, for one, am really impressed with what he's become.

I literally laughed out loud and called out a guy in my keeper league when he signed Moulson to a measly one-year deal when he was still with LA. He scored 30 the next year, and I'm eating crow because of it. (So is he for not giving him the league max 5-year deal ;)).

I never understand why everyone here just loves ripping on everyone, including current Penguins. Negativity sucks.

You could stick Adams in his spot...

Just, another guy on the team would be scoring.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Zach6668 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:09 pm

No man, that's not how it works. Nobodies just can't score in the NHL cuz they're getting 1st line minutes...
Zach6668
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Fire0nice228 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:27 pm

I didnt think Pitt was really ripping on him or being overly negative. He makes good points. In a better organization Moulson probably doesnt get the look he got on the Island, he had been passed on by some teams. Right place right time.. And no, nobodies dont put up 30 goals in the NHL but being on a weaker team affords him more ice time and power play time. Look at TK last year when the Pens were ravaged with injuries and he was playing alot of minutes and putting up points.. If he played 82 games with Tavares on the Islanders top line I bet TK could pot 30 a season. Would I say that if TK had continued to average 13 goals a season playing on the third line in Pittsburgh, no. But, now that I have seen what TK can do when he gets the minutes, I'm guessing he could score 30 times in a different situation such as the one Moulson is in. That being said, now that Moulson has established himself as a scorer he could probably get traded/sign somewhere and play the big minutes, but it all boiled down to circumstances working out for him a few seasons. His game and location worked out at the same time such that he was afforded the opportunity to be in a prominent role in a weak islanders organization and he made it happen. Good on him.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Zach6668 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:34 pm

That's a pretty fair rebuttal. I concur.
Zach6668
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:52 pm

Zach6668 wrote:No man, that's not how it works. Nobodies just can't score in the NHL cuz they're getting 1st line minutes...

Ponikarovsky did it :pop:
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitt87 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:22 pm

Zach6668 wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

:roll:

I didn't say anyone could net 30, but lots of guys do. Usually when they do it on crummy teams they get paid somewhere else and prove they were the best player on a bad team. Thats why I respect his decision to sign up long term and stick it out. At some point, thought, he will want to win, and will go somewhere that will require him to earn a top spot. then we'll see if he's James Neal or Alex Ponikorovsky.

As for "ripping on" him... missed the part where I said I like his style, huh? :pop:
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Zach6668 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:55 pm

Ok, really don't disagree. And I really don't disagree with you about me misreading ;). Anywho, most people (in life) on LGP tend to be overly negative about players both on and off the Pens, and it gets annoying and it tends to manifest in my next post.

Cheers.
Zach6668
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Fire0nice228 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:58 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
Zach6668 wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

Usually when they do it on crummy teams they get paid somewhere else and prove they were the best player on a bad team. Thats why I respect his decision to sign up long term and stick it out. At some point, thought, he will want to win, and will go somewhere that will require him to earn a top spot. then we'll see if he's James Neal or Alex Ponikorovsky.

Bang on there with that. Is Moulson a first line winger on a Cup contender team? Could he fill a spot if a team had a hole? Hes probably a second line winger, second PP unit in Pittsburgh (for example), would he still put up 30plus? Hes an interesting player with how he is a bit older and kinda blew onto the scene a few years ago.

The thing that makes me think Moulson is legit is he's done it three years in a row now. TK (for example) had a great second half last year when he was getting the minutes and in my opinion he was afforded that opportunity again this year to play a more prominent role and he was unable to seize it. Imagine if someone had thrown some money at him to get him outta Pittsburgh how disappointed they would be if he his results were the same as this season in Pitt.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to NPR