Hal Gill to NASHVILLE

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Hal Gill to NASHVILLE

Postby Kovy27 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:38 pm

Gill, 5th round pick (13) for Geoffrion, Slaney, and 2nd round pick (12)

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=388101
Last edited by Kovy27 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Hal Gill to NASHVILLE

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:39 pm

Didn't we get him for only a 2nd last time? Crappy market influence flexing its muscles right now.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mac5155 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:12 pm

Oh well, as long as he's out of the East. He's a monster in the playoffs.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby brwi on Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:24 pm

meecrofilm wrote:Didn't we get him for only a 2nd last time? Crappy market influence flexing its muscles right now.

Pens got him for a 2nd and a 5th and Gill was also under contract for the next season unlike now when Gill will be UFA. Nashville gave up some more even though Gill is obviously older now, but the price for dmen is still really rising in the NHL.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:25 pm

Nashville may be moving Suter now. Gill will be a good fit for them. That team plays at his speed, and they have Rinne. If they were to turn Suter into some offensive help, they could be pretty tough in the playoffs.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:32 pm

I wanted Gill on the Pens but not at that price.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby brwi on Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:32 pm

The Snapshot wrote:Nashville may be moving Suter now. Gill will be a good fit for them. That team plays at his speed, and they have Rinne. If they were to turn Suter into some offensive help, they could be pretty tough in the playoffs.

I'd be real surprised if they move Suter. I think the guy they are going to move is dman Blum, former 1st rounder in 2007 who still has plenty of time at age 23 to develop and may fetch a top-6 forward they badly need in return.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bab81 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:53 pm

Honestly I think Nashville shoots for a deep run in the playoffs. This may be their last real chance for a while...the west is getting better and better and if they don't make a deep run and establish their city as a hockey market they may never be able to afford to be competitive
bab81
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:54 pm

The Snapshot wrote:Nashville may be moving Suter now. Gill will be a good fit for them. That team plays at his speed, and they have Rinne. If they were to turn Suter into some offensive help, they could be pretty tough in the playoffs.

Damn ... to the Flyers for JVR and another body. You watch.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:21 pm

I dont see how Gill replaces Suter in any way?
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:03 pm

Fire0nice228 wrote:I dont see how Gill replaces Suter in any way?

They are not similar in style, but Gill also kills penalties, plays big minutes, goes against the other team's top offensive players. Weber would assume an even bigger offensive role - but I fail to see why Gill is not a possible replacement for him if they are looking to improve the offense up front at the cost of a little offense from the back?

They have Ryan Ellis and Kevin Klein, both of which have some offensive upside back there as well.

The issue is whether the Preds want to lose Suter for nothing, when they have been built around a team concept, goaltending and drafting well.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Staggy on Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:26 pm

Pitts wrote:

Damn ... to the Flyers for JVR and another body. You watch.

JVR has a concussion so the only realistic trade options would be Schenn or Couturier
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby brwi on Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:54 pm

The Snapshot wrote:

They are not similar in style, but Gill also kills penalties, plays big minutes, goes against the other team's top offensive players. Weber would assume an even bigger offensive role - but I fail to see why Gill is not a possible replacement for him if they are looking to improve the offense up front at the cost of a little offense from the back?

They have Ryan Ellis and Kevin Klein, both of which have some offensive upside back there as well.

The issue is whether the Preds want to lose Suter for nothing, when they have been built around a team concept, goaltending and drafting well.

The Preds likely know at this point if they can re-up Suter in the off-season or not, but I still don't see them moving him even if they think he will walk. GM Poile came out a few weeks ago and said Suter was staying and they'll talk contract after the season and I believe it. Nashville's chances of making a deep run go way down if Suter isn't on their blueline because he's their best overall d-man and also covers for Weber so that he can do what he does best. Weber is not as good in his own end as Suter and isn't as fluid of a skater or puck-mover/carry-er as Suter is.

Ellis to me is still a question mark and if they don't move Blum, it will be because they found more interest in Ellis and move him instead. Ellis just came off of a 3 game healthy scratch stint so it sure isn't like they are "showcasing" him as trade bait. IMO, Blum goes and Suter stays.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:22 pm

Has the price for Kubina got higher now?
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:41 pm

Didn't read the whole thread, but revenues can tie directly to keeping certain personnel for a small market team. Three playoff rounds can be the difference between keeping a UFA or losing him. That's not something we really have to do deal with or other big (or big-ish) market teams, but a 5-game exit would be really go along way to hurting the Preds' chances of keeping free agents...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Samsdog on Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:10 am

brwi wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:

The Preds likely know at this point if they can re-up Suter in the off-season or not, but I still don't see them moving him even if they think he will walk. GM Poile came out a few weeks ago and said Suter was staying and they'll talk contract after the season and I believe it. Nashville's chances of making a deep run go way down if Suter isn't on their blueline because he's their best overall d-man and also covers for Weber so that he can do what he does best. Weber is not as good in his own end as Suter and isn't as fluid of a skater or puck-mover/carry-er as Suter is.

Ellis to me is still a question mark and if they don't move Blum, it will be because they found more interest in Ellis and move him instead. Ellis just came off of a 3 game healthy scratch stint so it sure isn't like they are "showcasing" him as trade bait. IMO, Blum goes and Suter stays.

I think that Blum is the only defenseman on that team that you can unequivocally say will not be going anywhere in the next year at least. With so many question marks surrounding Weber and Suter (frankly if Weber lasts beyond next season I'll be stunned), I don't see any motivation for them to move a solid young d-man. Poile is one of the league's premier GM's and I think he knows better than to move one of the only d-men on the team he knows he can retain, especially when 2 of the ones he stands to lose are elite NHL defensemen.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:15 am

The Preds might like Josi more than Blum actually...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:38 am

brwi wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:

Ellis is a beast. Do it RS.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kovy27 on Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:19 am

I don't think Nashville is done moving around some pieces. Will they trade Suter? I don't think so, but if they can get a scoring winger for him, they might. I could see the Preds making a move for Alex Semin, Ales Hemsky, or maybe going after a player like Ryan Malone to help with scoring. The Preds owner has told the GM to go ahead and spend to the cap to keep Weber - Suter on their blueline and the only way they keep those 2 is showing them they are willing to spend cash to be a Stanley Cup competitor yearly.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to NPR