Pavel Kubina to Flyers

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pavel Kubina to Flyers

Postby pittsports87 on Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:56 pm

According to Darren Dreger, Kubina is going to the Flyers

Pierre Lebrun is saying it is for a 2nd and 4th round draft pick.

Both sources taken from their twitter pages.
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,330
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:44 pm
Location: College

Re: Pavel Kubina to Flyers

Postby npv708 on Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:01 pm

Trade pending league approval. The Flyers would be 1 contract over the roster limit. If the league accepts it, it appears that this won't be the only trade going down for the Flyers.

The big rumor is that the Flyers are going to go after Nash really hard and might include Bob or Bryz in a deal for him.

Apparently the Flyers liked the Boudreau run and gun Caps of the past.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,246
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:11 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Pavel Kubina to Flyers

Postby opie22002 on Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:50 pm

npv708 wrote:Trade pending league approval. The Flyers would be 1 contract over the roster limit. If the league accepts it, it appears that this won't be the only trade going down for the Flyers.

The big rumor is that the Flyers are going to go after Nash really hard and might include Bob or Bryz in a deal for him.

Apparently the Flyers liked the Boudreau run and gun Caps of the past.


I hope nobody takes Bryz off their hands...they should pay for that contract.
opie22002
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,228
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:48 pm

Re: Pavel Kubina to Flyers

Postby swflyers8 on Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:01 pm

opie22002 wrote:I hope nobody takes Bryz off their hands...they should pay for that contract.


The idiot has a NTC so we are stuck with Mr. Softee. Bob may go on the other hand.
swflyers8
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:31 pm
Location: Norristown, PA

Re: Pavel Kubina to Flyers

Postby duke66 on Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:06 pm

why would columbus want either flyer goalie? they are both questionable playing for philly, imagine how horrible they'd be in columbus?
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,408
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: The Promised Land - @dukewall66

Re: Pavel Kubina to Flyers

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:11 pm

duke66 wrote:why would columbus want either flyer goalie? they are both questionable playing for philly, imagine how horrible they'd be in columbus?


They'd be an upgrade on Steve Mason... Pretty much anyone would
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,657
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Pavel Kubina to Flyers

Postby pittsports87 on Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:14 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
duke66 wrote:why would columbus want either flyer goalie? they are both questionable playing for philly, imagine how horrible they'd be in columbus?


They'd be an upgrade on Steve Mason... Pretty much anyone would

I haven't noticed how hard Mason fell off after his rookie year :shock:
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,330
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:44 pm
Location: College

Re: Pavel Kubina to Flyers

Postby Kovy27 on Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:34 pm

Steve Mason's five hole is wider than the Grand Canyon.

Honestly, the Blue Jackets would be better off trading him to LA at this point. Bernier > Any Flyer goaltender.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,186
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Re: Pavel Kubina to Flyers

Postby Mr. Colby on Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:41 pm

LOL nothing like a subtle knee-jerk reaction trade

Kubina stinks. He helps their D very little

Grossman looked good as hell today, the rest of them are bums
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,055
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:33 pm
Location: Born and Raised in Kent Manderville

Re: Pavel Kubina to Flyers

Postby canaan on Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:43 pm

Holmgren is worried about his job, imo
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,022
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: Pavel Kubina to Flyers

Postby PghSkins on Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:50 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
duke66 wrote:why would columbus want either flyer goalie? they are both questionable playing for philly, imagine how horrible they'd be in columbus?


They'd be an upgrade on Steve Mason... Pretty much anyone would


They can't get a better goalie than that for Nash?
PghSkins
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,679
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:36 pm
Location: Hack Squad Holla

Re: Pavel Kubina to Flyers

Postby sniper on Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:36 am

I don't know why Columbus would trade Nash to Philly for any goalie. I can understand for forwards, but why would they want either of those guys. Nobody in the league is dumb enough to take Bryz even if he would waive his NTC and he was playing at an average goalie level. That contract is just ridiculous for his age. I'm also not sure why Philly wants Nash. He's a good player, but makes a ton of money and offense isn't their problem.

As for Kubina, I don't see the upgrade there. Tampa fans were happy to get rid of him. He's old, big and slow. Maybe they loved him because he still gives Jagr problems. I don't know.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,023
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:25 pm

Re: Pavel Kubina to Flyers

Postby FanofUlf on Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:45 am

Should we be worried? Flyers had a soft defense and now got two huge bodies. Win?
FanofUlf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:25 pm
Location: Land

Re: Pavel Kubina to Flyers

Postby sniper on Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:47 am

FanofUlf wrote:Should we be worried? Flyers had a soft defense and now got two huge bodies. Win?


We can start to think about being worried if they figure out a way to shove those two huge bodies into their own net to stop all the pucks their goalies can't stop. They can do whatever they want defensively it's not going to solve their main problem.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,023
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:25 pm

Re: Pavel Kubina to Flyers

Postby Pitts on Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:47 am

FanofUlf wrote:Should we be worried? Flyers had a soft defense and now got two huge bodies. Win?

No.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,067
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Pavel Kubina to Flyers

Postby bhaw on Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:14 am

FanofUlf wrote:Should we be worried? Flyers had a soft defense and now got two huge bodies. Win?


bigger doesn't always equal better. I know that's a common misconception around here, but bringing in the biggest guys possible doesn't mean the defense is better off.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 26,811
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Pavel Kubina to Flyers

Postby Kovy27 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:13 am

It don't matter how many big bodies that you have back there. If your goaltenders can't stop relatively easy shots, you are still going to lose. See the Flyers since Ron Hextall left.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,186
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Re: Pavel Kubina to Flyers

Postby netwolf on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:25 am

sniper wrote:I don't know why Columbus would trade Nash to Philly for any goalie. I can understand for forwards, but why would they want either of those guys. Nobody in the league is dumb enough to take Bryz even if he would waive his NTC and he was playing at an average goalie level. That contract is just ridiculous for his age. I'm also not sure why Philly wants Nash. He's a good player, but makes a ton of money and offense isn't their problem.

As for Kubina, I don't see the upgrade there. Tampa fans were happy to get rid of him. He's old, big and slow. Maybe they loved him because he still gives Jagr problems. I don't know.

If Sather can talk someone into giving up a good young defenseman in McDonough for a waste of cap and roster space like Gomez, anything can happen. It only takes one GM with highly questionable judgment.

As for Kubina's impact, I didn't notice him much the last few times we played Tampa, and I didn't think defense was their main problem yesterday. Besides, who does he replace? You'd think it would be Bourdon, but he played more than Timonen did yesterday. I'm not sure Kubina is enough of an improvement on Bourdon to justify the price they paid.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,329
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:04 am

Re: Pavel Kubina to Flyers

Postby Kovy27 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:31 pm

netwolf wrote:
sniper wrote:I don't know why Columbus would trade Nash to Philly for any goalie. I can understand for forwards, but why would they want either of those guys. Nobody in the league is dumb enough to take Bryz even if he would waive his NTC and he was playing at an average goalie level. That contract is just ridiculous for his age. I'm also not sure why Philly wants Nash. He's a good player, but makes a ton of money and offense isn't their problem.

As for Kubina, I don't see the upgrade there. Tampa fans were happy to get rid of him. He's old, big and slow. Maybe they loved him because he still gives Jagr problems. I don't know.

If Sather can talk someone into giving up a good young defenseman in McDonough for a waste of cap and roster space like Gomez, anything can happen. It only takes one GM with highly questionable judgment.

As for Kubina's impact, I didn't notice him much the last few times we played Tampa, and I didn't think defense was their main problem yesterday. Besides, who does he replace? You'd think it would be Bourdon, but he played more than Timonen did yesterday. I'm not sure Kubina is enough of an improvement on Bourdon to justify the price they paid.


They sent Bourdon down today. I don't think the Flyers improved greatly on D with the 2 moves. However, was it their D or was it the 2 stiffs that they have as goaltenders that were the problem yesterday. Bryzgalov stated today that he has to find a happy place. Congrats Bryz....that happy place is Philadelphia for the next 8 years.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,186
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Re: Pavel Kubina to Flyers

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:38 pm

So with the arrival of Kubina does that mean that Flyer's team meals cost will go up?
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,480
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: "Whatcha you be smokin' cuz? you guys aren't nothing but hoopty"

Re: Pavel Kubina to Flyers

Postby sniper on Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:47 pm

netwolf wrote:
sniper wrote:I don't know why Columbus would trade Nash to Philly for any goalie. I can understand for forwards, but why would they want either of those guys. Nobody in the league is dumb enough to take Bryz even if he would waive his NTC and he was playing at an average goalie level. That contract is just ridiculous for his age. I'm also not sure why Philly wants Nash. He's a good player, but makes a ton of money and offense isn't their problem.

As for Kubina, I don't see the upgrade there. Tampa fans were happy to get rid of him. He's old, big and slow. Maybe they loved him because he still gives Jagr problems. I don't know.

If Sather can talk someone into giving up a good young defenseman in McDonough for a waste of cap and roster space like Gomez, anything can happen. It only takes one GM with highly questionable judgment.

As for Kubina's impact, I didn't notice him much the last few times we played Tampa, and I didn't think defense was their main problem yesterday. Besides, who does he replace? You'd think it would be Bourdon, but he played more than Timonen did yesterday. I'm not sure Kubina is enough of an improvement on Bourdon to justify the price they paid.


True on Sather moving Gomez, but if anything I would think that would support the case for other GMs to not take that chance with Bryz. It didn't work out too well for Montreal. Not to mention the guy has a no trade clause and asking him to waive it isn't going to help the circus that is their goaltending.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,023
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:25 pm

Re: Pavel Kubina to Flyers

Postby Kovy27 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:50 pm

So, Errey touched on it yesterday. The Flyers are looking for a goaltender....so, which goaltender that could be on the market would help their "issues"?

Nabokov, Schneider, Harding, Steve Mason (lol), Roloson?
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,186
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Re: Pavel Kubina to Flyers

Postby sniper on Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:17 pm

Kovy27 wrote:So, Errey touched on it yesterday. The Flyers are looking for a goaltender....so, which goaltender that could be on the market would help their "issues"?

Nabokov, Schneider, Harding, Steve Mason (lol), Roloson?


I have no idea who is on the Market, but the first 3 would help them. It would also mean they have 4 goalies signed to NHL contracts I believe. I think Leighton is still in the AHL.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,023
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:25 pm

Re: Pavel Kubina to Flyers

Postby npv708 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:33 pm

Nabakov, Harding, and Ben Bishop are apparently their targets.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,246
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:11 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Pavel Kubina to Flyers

Postby The Snapshot on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:42 pm

npv708 wrote:Nabakov, Harding, and Ben Bishop are apparently their targets.


Not sure about Bishop or Harding in terms of their mental makeup, but Nabakov would not be an upgrade in Philly.

I would be all over Scneider, who has thrived in a fishbowl of Canadian market in limited time. He is a very good goaltender.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,238
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:28 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there

Next

Return to NPR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SolidSnake and 3 guests

e-mail