Confirmed: Jeff "Hollywood" Carter demands King's Ransom

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Rumor: Jeff Carter to Kings

Postby Kraftster on Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:31 pm

brwi wrote:
columbia wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Couturier was part of the Carter deal? :shock:

Howson is a disaster.

Yep....and time will prove that that lost this deal too.

Jack Johnson and a 1st for Jeff Carter looks like an awesome trade for CBJ to me.

Carter never wanted to be there and doesn't bring it on a consistent basis and is badly miscast as center to begin with. Jack Johnson is climbing up in the ranks of very good NHL dmen and starting to reach his high potential. Throw in a 1st rounder and how does Columbus lose on this trade?

I have largely stopped watching the Kings because I find them to be quite boring these days, but last I checked I'm still not impressed with JJ that much at all. Physical tools, skills, but always seems to lack the IQ. As I said, I don't watch him much these days, so maybe he is turning it around, but his +/- still stands out in a big way. We all now that +/- has its limits, but, comparing players on the same team can be quite telling. For instance:

2011/2012: JJ is last on the team with a -12 this year. The next regular defenseman is Matt Green at -1. (Alec Martinez is a -7 in 31 less games than JJ,)
2010/2011: JJ is a team worst -21. Next regular defenseman is Rob Scuderi at +1.
2009/2010: JJ is a team worst -15. Next regular defenseman is Matt Greene at +4.
2008/2009: JJ is a team worst -18. They sucked (Doughty -17).
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Confirmed: Jeff "Hollywood" Carter demands King's Ranso

Postby shafnutz05 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:35 pm

Those are pretty remarkable statistics, Kraftster....wow
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:37 pm

Indeed.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby brwi on Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:16 pm

I've never been a huge Jack Johnson fan either, but I've seen his game starting to come around as he matures as well as being aware that he's expected to go against the top lines of opponents and adjusting his game accordingly. Before last year, I thought he was one of the most overrated players in the NHL but I'm starting to appreciate what he brings a little more in the last season and a half and I think he's maturing into what he was expected to be.

Carter I think has likely hit his ceiling already and isn't like a stellar guy with his work ethic on or off the ice. An even-up trade of him for JJ would have made sense as dmen are highly priced(and compensated) these days, but throwing in a #1 also seems like a stupid deal to me. Kings are desperate for offense and all, but geez.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:19 pm

Kings had to do something....they are dead last in goals scored.

Johnson has quickly become one of the more overrated d men IMHO...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:30 pm

Well, I can't tell you whether the Kings or Jackets won/lost the deal, but i can tell you the one who did lose this deal is J. Johnson
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Fire0nice228 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:53 pm

I think long term this will work out for both teams.. work ethic, attitude, etc. aside Carter is a lock for 30 goals for the foreseeable future (maybe not quite 10 years but who knows) , and if he gets someone to get him to improve on those things he could be a lock for 40 for a few seasons..

JMFJ is improving IMO..
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:53 am

Gaucho wrote:Couturier was part of the Carter deal? :shock:

Howson is a disaster.

He was chosen with the 1st rnd. pick Columbus gave up to Philly.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:55 am

profpolisci wrote:Spector's Hockey ‏ @SpectorsHockey

Retweet
Favorite
· Open

Bob McKenzie also reporting Kings Dustin Brown is in play. Looks like they're not done.

Shero better be working!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:14 am

Are the Kings trying to acquire more centers than the Pens?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:25 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Are the Kings trying to acquire more centers than the Pens?

Their GM said as much with the "we're strong down the middle" routine last night after the trade.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:08 pm

I think Johnson was rushed, too many expectations too early on. I'd think in Columbus he can finally have the space to develop into his own while the team rebuilds. Good deal for both teams, Columbus essentially trades Voracek for JJ. I wonder if Philly wishes they'd traded Carter to LA in the first place...
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:20 pm

pcm wrote:I think Johnson was rushed, too many expectations too early on. I'd think in Columbus he can finally have the space to develop into his own while the team rebuilds. Good deal for both teams, Columbus essentially trades Voracek for JJ. I wonder if Philly wishes they'd traded Carter to LA in the first place...

Well, they trade...

Jeff Carter, Jakub Voracek, Sean Couturier and Nick Cousins for Jack Johnson and, at best, a mid-first in 2012...I'd say they blew it. Also, JMFJ wasn't really rushed. The Canes tried to rush him, he declined. They wanted him for a playoff run, he said, "no, I'd rather be a God here in Ann Arbor" and they said..."uhh...Stanley Cup...?" and he said, "solo cup...?" and they dealt him for Tim Gleason.

The fact of the matter is, JMFJ is a power forward playing defense...his positioning makes Mike Green look like Nicklas Lidstrom.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kaizer on Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:25 pm

lol
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby bhaw on Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:26 am

If LA trades for Lupul, it will be a sweet ass party.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:39 am

In all seriousness, I think it's a wash (looking at the individual deal). I mean, the whole trade FOR Carter by CBJ started off horribly when Carter pouted about getting traded there to the point Rick Nash had to give him a biscuit and tell him it was ok to come out of his house. So really, being able to turn around and dump the guy who did that in less than a year is a net gain. Getting Jack Johnson is a pretty solid return given LA knew Carter has probably been asking every 15 seconds "Did you trade me yet? Did you trade me yet?" Obviously not Columbus' top priority, but their D stinks, and if they can improve it and at least protect Mason/Stanford until they solve that problem, things will get marginally better.

LA needed scoring. I don't know why they decided putting Richards and Carter back in the same locker room was a good idea, nor why they would reinvest in Richards' buddy when Richards has put up a stinker of a year so far. I never understood LA and never bought into the "they're just one player away from being great" notion that kept cycling through here and other hockey outlets year after year. And now the rumor is that they want to part with Brown? Seems like they are intentionally forming the most dramatic locker room ever.

I'm sure Carter will help put up a few goals, but it's amazing how so many GMs just ignore the personality and baggage with these guys... like it won't happen again.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to NPR