Hemsky re-signs in EDM

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Hemsky re-signs in EDM

Postby npv708 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:50 pm

2 years 10 million.

Yes, next year, James Neal will make the same amount as Ales Hemsky.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Hemsky re-signs in EDM

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:55 pm

Neal will only make half as much, because he will play twice as many games. I wouldn't want Hemsky for free, because he is too valuable not to count on, but he can't be counted on to stay healthy. He is a tease.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:19 pm

sorry kraftster
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:20 pm

The Snapshot wrote:Neal will only make half as much, because he will play twice as many games. I wouldn't want Hemsky for free, because he is too valuable not to count on, but he can't be counted on to stay healthy. He is a tease.

speaking of Crosby
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kovy27 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:58 pm

Thank you Edmonton!
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pugilist13 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:10 pm

5 million a year for that scrapheap. HOLY ****
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:12 am

What is Hall and RNH worth to that team then?
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:49 am

Malkamaniac wrote:What is Hall and RNH worth to that team then?

Probably about as much as guys like Letang and Fleury (not on Crosby/Malkin level, but pretty damn close)
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kaizer on Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:52 am

merc.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby canaan on Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:06 am

Hating on hemsky is the cool kids thing to do
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:18 pm

"The cost of replacing this player would be much more" is the new in fad excuse for GM's to overpay their own players.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kraftster on Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:53 pm

This deal is fine. Hemsky has scored at a 0.88 ppg clip over the past 7 NHL seasons (72 points per season). I bet that's in higher company than most people would typically place Hemsky. Coming into this season, he was at an even higher (75 point per season) ppg.

Two years is the perfect length for Edmonton. There's risk in signing an injury prone player to a long deal because you are sacrificing part of your cap room to sign a guy who you can't count on to be in the lineup. In Edmonton's situation, they won't (and can't) come close enough to spending to the cap over the next two seasons that this is going to matter. The deal's not too bad.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby npv708 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:47 pm

Kraftster wrote:This deal is fine. Hemsky has scored at a 0.88 ppg clip over the past 7 NHL seasons (72 points per season). I bet that's in higher company than most people would typically place Hemsky. Coming into this season, he was at an even higher (75 point per season) ppg.

Two years is the perfect length for Edmonton. There's risk in signing an injury prone player to a long deal because you are sacrificing part of your cap room to sign a guy who you can't count on to be in the lineup. In Edmonton's situation, they won't (and can't) come close enough to spending to the cap over the next two seasons that this is going to matter. The deal's not too bad.

He's a great player when healthy, but Hemsky has only played 47, 47, 22 games in each of his last three seasons. Definitely not worth a 5 million cap hit. If he could stay healthy, its a different story.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:25 pm

npv708 wrote:
Kraftster wrote:This deal is fine. Hemsky has scored at a 0.88 ppg clip over the past 7 NHL seasons (72 points per season). I bet that's in higher company than most people would typically place Hemsky. Coming into this season, he was at an even higher (75 point per season) ppg.

He's a great player when healthy, but Hemsky has only played 47, 47, 22 games in each of his last three seasons. Definitely not worth a 5 million cap hit. If he could stay healthy, its a different story.

Again, though, given their current and future (during this contract) cap situation, it will not be preventing them from adding/signing other players. That's why it makes sense for them on a two year term. A longer deal or a team in a different situation and I'd agree with you.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby She'sTheFastest on Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:15 pm

I pulled a Hemsky auotgraph card out of a pack of cards one time. I also pulled a Neal out of one too. The jerk I bought it from didn't want to trade me for a new pack. Two months later Neal was traded to the Pens. Sucks to be him.
She'sTheFastest
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:39 pm

It's not a deal I would have signed, but I can see why they did it. If he can find a way to stay healthy, he's easily got $5M talent. Admittedly, that is a huge if. It's only 2 years though, and I don't think he got a NTC or NMC, so it's not that big a gamble. It's certainly not as bad as some were making it out to be though.

Also worth noting that Hemsky was going to be unrestricted. UFAs always get more than comparable RFAs.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to NPR