Radulov returning?

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Radulov returning?

Postby npv708 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:51 pm

Rumor has it from all around the internet is that Radulov is seriously considering a return to the NHL this season.

Preds still own 1 year of his rights, but he wouldn't have to pass through waivers ala Nabokov. Would require league approval though.

I would love to see this happen. The Preds deserve to have him and will be a legit contender with him in the lineup, possibly even the favorite out of the west.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Radulov returning?

Postby mikey287 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:10 pm

Just to clarify it out front - he is eligible for the playoffs this year and does NOT require waivers because his rights were owned by the Predators already and therefore "in the organization" by league standards, despite playing in a non-North American professional league. He, however, still must fulfill the last year of entry-level contract which provides for a sub-million dollar salary.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby brwi on Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:29 pm

This is a rumor that has popped-up every year since he left too due to how the the schedules of the NHL/KHL are, and he's still in Russia.

Poile even had talks with him a year ago where he told Radulov that the Preds would trade his rights away if he wanted that, but Radulov said he liked Nashville and would come back.

Radulov is presently on a 3 year deal in the KHL that may or may not REALLY have an exit clause as his agent has claimed since he signed it over a year ago so who the hell knows? He lit it up in the minors and as a Pred before running off. He has a ton of talent but is your typical Russian Headcase. Buyer(or contract holder) beware. The slashing incident a few weeks ago on his team's goalie coach wasn't exactly a stellar moment either.

Preds could use his skills but who knows? One thing Nashville has going for them is extreme stability with Poile/Trotz and if there is any team in the NHL that can accommodate a flake, it's Nashville, especially since Radulov already played well under that regime before.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:32 pm

The word on the series of toobz - for about the last month - was that he was likely to return next year.
This year? That's interesting.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby brwi on Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:57 pm

columbia wrote:The word on the series of toobz - for about the last month - was that he was likely to return next year.
This year? That's interesting.

If he comes back to the Preds right now, he would fulfill his last year on his Nashville entry-level deal and would be RFA at the end of this playoff season. All he has to do is play this year in the NHL even for a few games and his contract with the Preds is completed, at least that's how I understand it. Pretty sure the NHL and NHLPA will get involved with this because Radulov's sudden defection to the KHL shook up a lot of things, one of them being that GM's have been reportedly reluctant to spend high draft picks on Russian players who might do the same thing since the agreement between the NHL and KHL seems open to "interpretation" whenever something out of the ordinary happens.

For those not following any of this, Radulov's KHL team just got eliminated from the playoffs and that's why the now annual speculation of "will Radulov return to Nashville or not" has started again. I'd bet he actually comes back this time. At 26, he's a superstar in the KHL but was 4th liner in the last Olympics where he looked pretty out of place, and there's nothing left for him in Russian hockey. he looked very good in QMJHL and in the NHL and that's his future. At 26, it's time to make that move.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tfrizz on Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:59 pm

brwi wrote:This is a rumor that has popped-up every year since he left too due to how the the schedules of the NHL/KHL are, and he's still in Russia.

Poile even had talks with him a year ago where he told Radulov that the Preds would trade his rights away if he wanted that, but Radulov said he liked Nashville and would come back.

Radulov is presently on a 3 year deal in the KHL that may or may not REALLY have an exit clause as his agent has claimed since he signed it over a year ago so who the hell knows? He lit it up in the minors and as a Pred before running off. He has a ton of talent but is your typical Russian Headcase. Buyer(or contract holder) beware. The slashing incident a few weeks ago on his team's goalie coach wasn't exactly a stellar moment either.

Preds could use his skills but who knows? One thing Nashville has going for them is extreme stability with Poile/Trotz and if there is any team in the NHL that can accommodate a flake, it's Nashville, especially since Radulov already played well under that regime before.

Read on Twitter yesterday that Radulov skated around the ice "waving" to the fans after his last game. They implied that he was planning on returning to Nashville, and was waiving goodbye to the fans in Russia.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SolidSnake on Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:52 am

My God, Nashville is going for broke this year.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby opie22002 on Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:19 am

If he does return, do you think Nashville is a favorite out west?
opie22002
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:19 am

opie22002 wrote:If he does return, do you think Nashville is a favorite out west?

I don;t know about favorite. Detroit keeps steam-rolling along. But, they will finally be in the upper echelon of the west.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:24 pm

opie22002 wrote:If he does return, do you think Nashville is a favorite out west?

Return or not, I like their chances.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Streaks House on Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:40 am

Radulov is an RFA after this season and it will be interesting to see how/if he fits in to Nashville's plan. Nashville will already a busy off season managing their roster. Rinne's extension kicks in at $7MM, Suter becomes an UFA, Weber becomes a RFA, Colin Wilson becomes a RFA.

Radulov fills a position of need as a dynamic winger, something Nashville has missed. If Nashville believes he has matured and see him as a part of their core going forward, does his contract all but price out either Weber or Suter out of Nashville?
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:51 am

Nashville has always been strong on defensive prospects. I would think they'd be willing to sacrifice a d-man to fit a scorer like Radulov back into their roster. I bet that if Rad does return and commit to Nashville, they move Suter at the draft.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:19 am

Would other teams (ie potential Western playoff opponents) file grievances with the league/NHLPA to block his return?
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:03 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Would other teams (ie potential Western playoff opponents) file grievances with the league/NHLPA to block his return?

I'm not sure why they would. Those same teams would be up in arms if their future star left town in the middle of the night for Russia...the NHL in general hates the idea of players just up and leaving signed contracts to play in the KHL and then their collective response would be to block that player from coming back? That would be a strange sentiment to introduce strange precedent.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:23 am

mikey287 wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Would other teams (ie potential Western playoff opponents) file grievances with the league/NHLPA to block his return?

I'm not sure why they would. Those same teams would be up in arms if their future star left town in the middle of the night for Russia...the NHL in general hates the idea of players just up and leaving signed contracts to play in the KHL and then their collective response would be to block that player from coming back? That would be a strange sentiment to introduce strange precedent.

Agreed.

Pitts wrote:Nashville has always been strong on defensive prospects. I would think they'd be willing to sacrifice a d-man to fit a scorer like Radulov back into their roster. I bet that if Rad does return and commit to Nashville, they move Suter at the draft.

Agreed as well, though overall I don't really like the move: Suter's a beast.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:44 am

Will he be the same player was when he left?
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jimjom on Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:46 am

Is Radulov that good? No idea here never saw a body of play.

When I hear his name I thing of the Zombie song Dragula./csb
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:30 am

jimjom wrote:Is Radulov that good? No idea here never saw a body of play.

Body of work: Getting Angelo Esposito drafted in the first round. That's pretty good.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:40 am

mikey287 wrote:
jimjom wrote:Is Radulov that good? No idea here never saw a body of play.

Body of work: Getting Angelo Esposito drafted in the first round. That's pretty good.

:thumb:

Radulov is pretty highly skilled.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby npv708 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:46 am

Around 40 pts in 60 games as a rookie and 60 pts in 80 games in his 2nd year in the NHL.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby brwi on Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:06 am

It really helped Radulov's development that he was drafted and came right away to the Quebec Remparts in the QMJHL to play for 2 years.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby The Snapshot on Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:51 am

npv708 wrote:Around 40 pts in 60 games as a rookie and 60 pts in 80 games in his 2nd year in the NHL.

And that was on a much more offensively challenged Preds team. I think he will fit in very well with this new squad. They have some good offensive players sprinkled through their lineup. Not nearly as much of a one line team as they were then.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitts on Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:01 am

Physical_Graffiti wrote:
Pitts wrote:Nashville has always been strong on defensive prospects. I would think they'd be willing to sacrifice a d-man to fit a scorer like Radulov back into their roster. I bet that if Rad does return and commit to Nashville, they move Suter at the draft.

Agreed as well, though overall I don't really like the move: Suter's a beast.

I agree about Suter, but I think Nashville would rather keep Weber as he has a better offensive pedigree to go with his defense. Even without Radulov in the mix, I think they will only keep one of those defensemen. They will need that cap space to add to the roster.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ILikeTurtles on Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:35 pm

Seems he is pretty well set up for a return, good for Nashville. They really need a threat for offense along with the additions they made at the deadline they could make a pretty decent push for the cup this year.
ILikeTurtles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby npv708 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:11 pm

I really hope this works out for Nashville. Radulov can make a legit impact, too. To me, this makes Nashville the favorite to come out of the West.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to NPR