CBA Thread

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

CBA Thread

Postby FanofUlf on Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:16 pm

I'll start, this is dumb. Why would they have the CBA expire in mid September as training camp opens instead of like football and basketball, before free agency?

I'll never understand it, that's just pure needless chaos. How are you supposed to approach July 1?
FanofUlf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: CBA Thread

Postby mikey287 on Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:08 pm

You answered your own question. It's so close to the start of the season that it creates urgency to get a deal done. Think about strikes in "common" (relative term) jobs...no school teachers go on strike June 15th, ya know?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:35 pm

mikey287 wrote:You answered your own question. It's so close to the start of the season that it creates urgency to get a deal done. Think about strikes in "common" (relative term) jobs...no school teachers go on strike June 15th, ya know?

No, they wait until October 27th. :pop:

lol
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FanofUlf on Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:56 am

It's so dumb, set it for June 30th. To have FA and the cap uncertain is insane.
FanofUlf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby no name on Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:08 am

Hopefully they pound out something befor then. It could get ugly. Betman got his way last time and will be looking for a easy victory. Fehr is looking to make an impression on the players and will do what it takes to make that impression. They will threat to walk out easily, i almost dare to say, itsgoing to be another lock out. Owners are going to want to take back some of that 57% that the players get. Players won't want to give it up. The ceiling the players will want higher. so greedy owners can spend more.

Could get ugly.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FanofUlf on Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:38 am

Another thing I don't like about the NHL CBA: Lack of compensation for teams.

NFL:
-Franchise Tag (You can match for top five at position average, if not, you get two future first round picks)
-Transition Tag (You can match)
-You also get compensatory picks in later rounds

MLB:
-You can offer arbitration, and if declined or signed by another club, you get a sandwich pick between the 1st and 2nd round and perhaps that signing club's first rounder

NBA:
-You can offer a higher salary than any other club, and if the player still won't stay, you can sign and trade

NHL:
-Player's can leave in their mid 20s (like Zach Parise) for nothing.

I think that is messed up and hope the new CBA gives teams some compensation or tool to keep or get something in return.
FanofUlf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby mikey287 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:25 am

The NHL used to have a messy system for unrestricted agency compensatory picks which led to a lot of silly deals at midnight before July 1...it was stupid. Unrestricted free agency was at age 31, which is really unacceptable for the players - they really only got to hit UFA status once in their career...

Then they made a sliding scale down to 27 because the league needed to impose a salary cap (baseball had pre-existing, correct? NFL had pre-existing, correct? NBA had pre-existing salary cap, correct?) - you gotta pay to play, you can't just impose a salary cap without giving up something. NHLers can come in at 18...can't in football (~22), can't in basketball (at least 20, right?), can't in baseball (don't know the average starting age of a career...22?)...

Restricted free agency provides for as many as four 1st round picks...does any other sport? (serious question, I don't know the ins and outs of the other sports nearly as well)...

Hockey probably lasted under establishment, ownership rule for the longest (free agency almost a non-factor until the late 1970's and early 1980's, salaries weren't made public until I think the early 1990's, reserve clauses, anti-union "terrorism", etc.)...the players have gotten a lot in the last 20 or 30 years...owners are still doing alright...

Zach Parise gave 7 years to the Devils...what's the expectation for a career of a good player? 15 years? That's about half. Is that unfair? The Devils have the right to acquire assets for him at any point in that time, they may keep him if he so chooses...I mean, I'm rarely on the players' side, but I'm not sure I see exactly where you're going here yet...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:39 am

I agree with most of what you said Mikey (except I find myself agreeing with the players more and more)

I'd like to see FA age to upped 10 years of service(or 28 years of age), because I feel the current system harms small market teams who can not afford FAs and can only fill their team through the draft.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FanofUlf on Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:26 pm

mikey287 (are you named that after I-287)?
Parise can where he wants BUT the Devils should have some compensation or tools as in all the other sports.
A sandwich draft, a compensatory pick, a chance to match.

Why is the NHL the only sport not to have anything?
FanofUlf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby no name on Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:33 pm

FanofUlf wrote:mikey287 (are you named that after I-287)?
Parise can where he wants BUT the Devils should have some compensation or tools as in all the other sports.
A sandwich draft, a compensatory pick, a chance to match.

Why is the NHL the only sport not to have anything?

Cause the players have guarenteed contracts, no matter what happens they get all the money from a deal. No restucturing, no resigning a new deal, you sign and that is it. Its security the players get. Look at Souray, in the minors making 4,5 million or siomething, Guarenteed money. In the NFL you don't have that, you can sign a 50 contract with only 10 million guarenteed and then the team can cut you for any reason. Its a give take thing.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to NPR