Best glue to glue padding back into a goalie helmet?

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Best glue to glue padding back into a goalie helmet?

Postby ajh2298 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:24 pm

I took some of the padding out, and a lot just fell out, of my sons older goalie helmet to paint it and I am now looking for the best option to glue it back in. I have tried hot glue before and it works for awhile then it gets brittle and the padding just falls back out. Is there anything anybody else has used the seems to have worked any better?

Thanks,
Anthony
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Best glue to glue padding back into a goalie helmet?

Postby canaan on Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:35 pm

We use hardman double bubble epoxy at work that can withstand 1000+ psi and sets up in 5 minutes. It will probably do the trick.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ajh2298 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:08 pm

canaan wrote:We use hardman double bubble epoxy at work that can withstand 1000+ psi and sets up in 5 minutes. It will probably do the trick.

Does that simply come in a tube or is it something you have to mix since its an epoxy?
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby demondg1 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:27 pm

I've always used some two sided tape when adjusting the padding in my masks. Don't get the cheap stuff.
demondg1
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:54 pm

ajh2298 wrote:
canaan wrote:We use hardman double bubble epoxy at work that can withstand 1000+ psi and sets up in 5 minutes. It will probably do the trick.

Does that simply come in a tube or is it something you have to mix since its an epoxy?

They come in single use, two part packets that you mix with a popsicle stick and go to town
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ffemtreed on Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:59 am

just remember to scuff and clean the area where you want to attach the pad back to.

i am a fan of quick setting 2 part epoxy's applied to both the pad surface and helmet. a little goes a long way.

PS -- just because is says 5 minutes, doesn't mean you should use it in 5 minutes...... Once had to cut a teamates hair out of his helmet because of that mistake........ OUCH
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby steelhammer on Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:12 am

Have you considered buying a new helmet? The goalie mask is the #1 piece of equipment that you should not skimp on. I would not trust and older goalie mask at any level of hockey. I got DESTROYED once in a very low level league by a 250+ lb guy who came into me at nearly full speed. It was a very awkward collision and I got folded up like an accordian against the post and felt like my neck was going to break (I'm not exaggerating). After the post gave way, my body snapped backwards and I kind of whiplashed the back of my head into the ice. If I wasn't wearing a quality helmet WITH quality padding in the helmet, I would have taken a vacation to concussion city. Still surprised I didn't. The goalie mask is the #1 investment you can make in yourself on the ice. Invest wisely.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ajh2298 on Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:33 pm

steelhammer wrote:Have you considered buying a new helmet? The goalie mask is the #1 piece of equipment that you should not skimp on. I would not trust and older goalie mask at any level of hockey. I got DESTROYED once in a very low level league by a 250+ lb guy who came into me at nearly full speed. It was a very awkward collision and I got folded up like an accordian against the post and felt like my neck was going to break (I'm not exaggerating). After the post gave way, my body snapped backwards and I kind of whiplashed the back of my head into the ice. If I wasn't wearing a quality helmet WITH quality padding in the helmet, I would have taken a vacation to concussion city. Still surprised I didn't. The goalie mask is the #1 investment you can make in yourself on the ice. Invest wisely.

Its more for Dek/Street Hockey than anything else he has a newer plain Eddie mask for ice hockey.
ajh2298
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to NPR