Gauthier Gone

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Gauthier Gone

Postby tfrizz on Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:31 pm

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=391671

I wonder if they'll replace him with an anglophone. :pop:
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Gauthier Gone

Postby cma3585 on Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:49 pm

FWIW: http://twitter.com/renhockey - #canadiens Serge Savard on the next GM:"he will speak french.
cma3585
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:28 pm

Does Pee-Aire actually speak French?
Do it Habs!
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby mikey287 on Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:00 pm

columbia wrote:Does Pee-Aire actually speak French?
Do it Habs!

Yes, he does.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:31 am

Roy ftw.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Malkamaniac on Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:12 am

lolol I love that the guy HAS to speak french. With the way the emphasize that need for a french speaking guy I really wonder if their top priority is to actually get a French speaking person first, good GM second.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:35 am

My buddy is a die-hard Habs fan. We have video evidence of him saying he won't be, if they hire Pierre. I hope you can all join me in pulling for Lucky Pierre.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:48 am

Could McGuire screw up that franchise even more than Gauthier?
It seems unlikely....It would at least be entertaining.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Fast B on Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:51 am

cma3585 wrote:FWIW: http://twitter.com/renhockey - #canadiens Serge Savard on the next GM:"he will speak french.

That is just so stupid it boggles the mind.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve on Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:21 am

Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:37 pm

columbia wrote:Could McGuire screw up that franchise even more than Gauthier?

McGuire is one of the smartest people in the game...so I'm sure he would do a fine job...but he won't be hired by them.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby brwi on Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:17 am

Canadian bigotry and ignorance = OK
American bigotry and ignorance = BAD

With all the Quebecers running around yelling "they're taking our jerbs!" or planning secession, why is that considered a prime hockey market? How many jerbs have they lost in the past 6 months? About 100,000? Celine Dion CD sales have likely fallen even. While other markets around North America are starting to slowly come out of the malaise, Quebec is crumbling. Corporations are getting the hell out of Quebec as fast as they can as taxes get raised and the gov has to use austerity measures to balance the books...how is that suddenly going to change?
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pensfan1989 on Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:11 pm

mikey287 wrote:

McGuire is one of the smartest people in the game...so I'm sure he would do a fine job...but he won't be hired by them.

You mean this Pierre McGuire?

http://articles.courant.com/1994-05-21/ ... holmgren/2

Once when he was an assistant coach, McGuire bragged about his strategy to shut down Mario Lemieux. This was after a 7-3 loss and four goals by Kevin Stevens.

On the bench, players said McGuire would taunt the other team, saying he couldn't believe the opposing coach was allowing him certain line matchups. This braggadocio led Pittsburgh's Jaromir Jagr to mock McGuire in December. McGuire got Jagr for an illegal stick, and after Jagr jumped out of the penalty box, he scored on a breakaway. Although he had scored big goals in two Stanley Cup championships, Jagr called this overtime goal the biggest of his life because he humbled ``that know-it-all.''
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:17 pm

pensfan1989 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:

Once when he was an assistant coach, McGuire bragged about his strategy to shut down Mario Lemieux. This was after a 7-3 loss and four goals by Kevin Stevens.

On the bench, players said McGuire would taunt the other team, saying he couldn't believe the opposing coach was allowing him certain line matchups. This braggadocio led Pittsburgh's Jaromir Jagr to mock McGuire in December. McGuire got Jagr for an illegal stick, and after Jagr jumped out of the penalty box, he scored on a breakaway. Although he had scored big goals in two Stanley Cup championships, Jagr called this overtime goal the biggest of his life because he humbled ``that know-it-all.''

Yes...despite your anecdotal evidence.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fast B on Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:24 pm

pensfan1989 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:

I hate to defend the very creepy and weird Pierre here, but his being a lousy coach nearly 20 years ago has no real bearing on his ability to be a GM now.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:09 pm

HNIC had the expected gossip fest on this tonight.

The interesting takeaway was that the Habs should consider that Roy might be inclined to be with a QC team in a few years.
Essentially, they had better grab him now, if they want him.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penmyst on Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:33 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:lolol I love that the guy HAS to speak french. With the way the emphasize that need for a french speaking guy I really wonder if their top priority is to actually get a French speaking person first, good GM second.

No different than when Yinzer Nation wants to hire coaching personnel for the assorted sports teams around SW PA according to if they speak Yinzer first, can actually coach second.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penmyst on Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:35 pm

brwi wrote:Canadian bigotry and ignorance = OK
American bigotry and ignorance = BAD

With all the Quebecers running around yelling "they're taking our jerbs!" or planning secession, why is that considered a prime hockey market? How many jerbs have they lost in the past 6 months? About 100,000? Celine Dion CD sales have likely fallen even. While other markets around North America are starting to slowly come out of the malaise, Quebec is crumbling. Corporations are getting the hell out of Quebec as fast as they can as taxes get raised and the gov has to use austerity measures to balance the books...how is that suddenly going to change?

South Park is fantastic. rabblerabblerabble!
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:38 pm

penmyst wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:lolol I love that the guy HAS to speak french. With the way the emphasize that need for a french speaking guy I really wonder if their top priority is to actually get a French speaking person first, good GM second.

No different than when Yinzer Nation wants to hire coaching personnel for the assorted sports teams around SW PA according to if they speak Yinzer first, can actually coach second.

I'd love to see the meltdown on here if the Pens ever hired a coach who didn't speak any English.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Avyran on Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:49 pm

Physical_Graffiti wrote:
penmyst wrote:

I'd love to see the meltdown on here if the Pens ever hired a coach who didn't speak any English.

You mean like this guy?
(RIP. "Ivan Hlinka was a tremendous ambassador for the game of hockey." - Craig Patrick
"It's not that he was just a coach, but he was sort of like Herb Brooks was for America." - Tomas Vokoun)
Avyran
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:04 pm

Avyran wrote:
Physical_Graffiti wrote:
penmyst wrote:

You mean like this guy?
(RIP. "Ivan Hlinka was a tremendous ambassador for the game of hockey." - Craig Patrick
"It's not that he was just a coach, but he was sort of like Herb Brooks was for America." - Tomas Vokoun)

I do:

Hlinka himself was criticized by Lemieux for not taking classes in the summer to improve his English and that contributed to the frosty relationship between them. He was fired four games into the 2001–02 season and returned to Europe.
Last edited by Physical_Graffiti on Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:06 pm

66 couldn't speak English, when he was drafted.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:10 pm

columbia wrote:66 couldn't speak English, when he was drafted.

Neither could Malkin for the longest time, and he was widely criticized by this fanbase for it.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:13 pm

Certainly by some people.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Fast B on Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:19 pm

penmyst wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:lolol I love this the guy HAS to speak french. With the way the emphasize this need for a french speaking guy I really wonder if their top priority is to actually get a French speaking person first, good GM second.

It's actually quite a bit different, since you're comparing the following two groups of schmucks:

1) The kind of people who call into talk radio shows after Steeler games.
2) The Montreal Canadiens organization.

You really think those two are equivalent? It's absurd that the Canadiens didn't vocally support Cunneyworth, but instead sold him out to their incredibly xenophobic and idiotic fan base; it makes no difference how some drunk Yinzers would react in a similar situation unless they also ran the Steelers.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to NPR