CTV reporter is tired of the Leafs losing.

Forum for hockey posts that are not Penguins-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

CTV reporter is tired of the Leafs losing.

Postby nocera on Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:13 am



This guy doesn't pull any punches.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,965
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:02 pm

Re: CTV reporter is tired of the Leafs losing.

Postby canaan on Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:18 am

nocera wrote:

This guy doesn't pull any punches.

this guy is mad. why he heff be so mad?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 38,459
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Fritos. On. My. Sub.

Re: CTV reporter is tired of the Leafs losing.

Postby brwi on Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:20 am

LOL...I'm not. They can keep on losing.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,125
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:36 am

Re: CTV reporter is tired of the Leafs losing.

Postby penmyst on Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:17 pm

When a team is as bad as the Leafs have been for the second half of the season, they ought to be getting these tough questions. They shouldn't be coddled or allowed to be comfortable.

The only guy that deserves a bit of sympathy is the interim coach. Seeing as he is right, that you don't get a job in this way unless there is already something very very wrong with the current team (same deal with Hunter in Wash).

Anyways, it's refreshing to see a reporter actually throw a hardball or two. Sometimes it gets a bit sickening watching the kabuki theater that is "sports reporting" in today's sports. When it's multi-millionaire players and multi-billionaire owners-- there should be some angry fans and angry reporters. Especially when you get the turd of a season the Leafs have squeezed out, and guys like Schenn don't feel the need to make a comment to the fans.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,369
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:30 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: CTV reporter is tired of the Leafs losing.

Postby PghSkins on Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:28 pm

If the Panthers make the playoffs, the Leafs will be the only team to have not made the playoffs since the lockout.

That's right, the Jackets, Thrashers, Coyotes, Islanders all have made it since the Leafs did. The Whalercanes and Ducks have won the cup since the Leafs made the playoffs for cryin out loud.

Getting beyond my unbridled schadenfreude, their fans should be royally angry at the dog poo this franchise puts on the ice. But, as long as the ACC is full, TV ratings continue to be through the roof, and they're the feature game on HNIC every week, what's the incentive to change? Apart from having some pride, I mean.

I kind of chuckled when that guy said that Leafs fans are the most dedicated in Canada but.... hells yes they're the most dedicated. They support the team no matter what. That may also make them the stupidest.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,184
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:36 pm
Location: Beaver

Re: CTV reporter is tired of the Leafs losing.

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:34 pm

penmyst wrote:When a team is as bad as the Leafs have been for the second half of the season, they ought to be getting these tough questions. They shouldn't be coddled or allowed to be comfortable.

The only guy that deserves a bit of sympathy is the interim coach. Seeing as he is right, that you don't get a job in this way unless there is already something very very wrong with the current team (same deal with Hunter in Wash).

Anyways, it's refreshing to see a reporter actually throw a hardball or two. Sometimes it gets a bit sickening watching the kabuki theater that is "sports reporting" in today's sports. When it's multi-millionaire players and multi-billionaire owners-- there should be some angry fans and angry reporters. Especially when you get the turd of a season the Leafs have squeezed out, and guys like Schenn don't feel the need to make a comment to the fans.

:thumb: Ftw.
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,027
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:47 pm
Location: Hamilton

Re: CTV reporter is tired of the Leafs losing.

Postby mikey287 on Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:33 pm

I like tough questions as much as anyone...but you have to understand who you're asking what to and make it fair or else you aren't gonna get answers the next time...

You wanna ask Brian Burke about what's going on, the state of this team, if fans should be happy with what they're plopping down every Saturday night to go see them...go ahead. You wanna ask Randy Carlyle if the team sucks...go ahead. You wanna ask Dion Phaneuf what the hell he's doing and what the locker room atmosphere is like...go ahead. When you ask Luke Schenn about $450 to see a performance like that, I don't know what you want...Luke Schenn doesn't set ticket prices...you're asking a rookie like Jake Gardiner why the Leafs have won 5 of 24 games, you're just being an ass. That's not Jake Gardiner's question, Jake Gardiner shouldn't have to be asked questions like that...

Other than that, I have no problem. You wanna ask some figureheads what's the deal...why do you suck so bad...go nuts, it's a great change of pace from the normal canned questions getting cliched answers...but you're asking a rookie like Jake Gardiner why do fans pay so much to see a non-playoff team, you're not doing anything but making enemies...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,573
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: CTV reporter is tired of the Leafs losing.

Postby Headshot77 on Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:30 pm

PghSkins wrote:If the Panthers make the playoffs, the Leafs will be the only team to have not made the playoffs since the lockout.

That's right, the Jackets, Thrashers, Coyotes, Islanders all have made it since the Leafs did. The Whalercanes and Ducks have won the cup since the Leafs made the playoffs for cryin out loud.

Jackets and Coyotes have still never WON a playoff game in their franchise history; both of them getting swept in the first round in their one appearance.

Still, what an eye-opening stat.
Headshot77
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:02 am

Re: CTV reporter is tired of the Leafs losing.

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:10 pm

I'm pretty sure the yotes have won games just not a series.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,135
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:56 pm
Location: Eating muffins with Derpy

Re: CTV reporter is tired of the Leafs losing.

Postby PghSkins on Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:23 pm

Chefpatrick871 wrote:I'm pretty sure the yotes have won games just not a series.


They took the Wings to 7 games in 2010.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,184
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:36 pm
Location: Beaver

Re: CTV reporter is tired of the Leafs losing.

Postby penmyst on Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:31 pm

mikey287 wrote:I like tough questions as much as anyone...but you have to understand who you're asking what to and make it fair or else you aren't gonna get answers the next time...

You wanna ask Brian Burke about what's going on, the state of this team, if fans should be happy with what they're plopping down every Saturday night to go see them...go ahead. You wanna ask Randy Carlyle if the team sucks...go ahead. You wanna ask Dion Phaneuf what the hell he's doing and what the locker room atmosphere is like...go ahead. When you ask Luke Schenn about $450 to see a performance like that, I don't know what you want...Luke Schenn doesn't set ticket prices...you're asking a rookie like Jake Gardiner why the Leafs have won 5 of 24 games, you're just being an ass. That's not Jake Gardiner's question, Jake Gardiner shouldn't have to be asked questions like that...

Other than that, I have no problem. You wanna ask some figureheads what's the deal...why do you suck so bad...go nuts, it's a great change of pace from the normal canned questions getting cliched answers...but you're asking a rookie like Jake Gardiner why do fans pay so much to see a non-playoff team, you're not doing anything but making enemies...


I'll agree with you on the Gardiner thing. Rookies shouldn't be interviewed unless they are the next Gretzky. Ever.

But the Schenn "no comment" was infuriating, and I'm not even a Leafs fan.

While he does not set prices, he certainly is playing a role in the performance (or lack thereof) for which those tickets are being sold at those prices.

How about a "We aren't getting the job done." or a "We are playing putrid hockey right now, and there ain't no excuses for it. I apologize to the fans who support us with their money to the tune of 400 dollar tickets. This isn't 400 dollar hockey they are getting." Even a simple "I can't speak for the rest of my teammates, but I can say that "I" am not happy with the quality of "my" play."

Or is the guy happy with his play on a team that has dropped almost 80% of their games over the last quarter season? Happy like Jimmy "I pitched real well out there tonight" Anderson of the Pittsburgh Pirates (after yet another 5 1/3 inning 6 run performance)?
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,369
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:30 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: CTV reporter is tired of the Leafs losing.

Postby PPenguinsFan66 on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:18 am

Headshot77 wrote:Jackets and Coyotes have still never WON a playoff game in their franchise history; both of them getting swept in the first round in their one appearance.

Still, what an eye-opening stat.


Coyotes have won games. I think you meant Thrashers/Jets.
PPenguinsFan66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 486
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:00 am
Location: Rochester/Buffalo, NY

Re: CTV reporter is tired of the Leafs losing.

Postby PghSkins on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:57 am

penmyst wrote:
mikey287 wrote:I like tough questions as much as anyone...but you have to understand who your asking what to and make it fair or else you aren't gonna get answers the next time...

You wanna ask Brian Burke about what's going on, the state of this team, if fans should be happy with what they're plopping down every Saturday night to go see them...go ahead. You wanna ask Randy Carlyle if the team sucks...go ahead. You wanna ask Dion Phaneuf what the hell he's doing and what the locker room atmosphere is like...go ahead. When you ask Luke Schenn about $450 to see a performance like this, I don't know what you want...Luke Schenn doesn't set ticket prices...your asking a rookie like Jake Gardiner why the Leafs have won 5 of 24 games, your just being an ass. this's not Jake Gardiner's question, Jake Gardiner shouldn't have to be asked questions like this...

Other than this, I have no problem. You wanna ask some figureheads what's the deal...why do you suck so bad...go nuts, it's a great change of pace from the normal canned questions getting cliched answers...but your asking a rookie like Jake Gardiner why do fans pay so much to see a non-playoff team, your not doing anything but making enemies...


I'll agree with you on the Gardiner thing. Rookies shouldn't be interviewed unless they are the next Gretzky. Ever.

But the Schenn "no comment" was infuriating, and I'm not even a Leafs fan.

While he does not set prices, he certainly is playing a role in the performance (or lack thereof) for which those tickets are being sold at those prices.

How about a "We aren't getting the job done." or a "We are playing putrid hockey right now, and their ain't no excuses for it. I apologize to the fans who support us with their money to the tune of 400 dollar tickets. This isn't 400 dollar hockey they are getting." Even a simple "I can't speak for the rest of your teammates, but I can say this "I" am not happy with the quality of "your" play."

Or is the guy happy with his play on a team this has dropped almost 80% of their games over the last quarter season? Happy like Jimmy "I pitched real well out their tonight" Anderson of the Pittsburgh Pirates (after yet another 5 1/3 inning 6 run performance)?


I think it's a pretty big assumption on your part that a pro athlete (or actor, or politician) knows what the affect of $400 on the average middle class family's budget is.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,184
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:36 pm
Location: Beaver

Re: CTV reporter is tired of the Leafs losing.

Postby penmyst on Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:57 pm

PghSkins wrote:
I think it's a pretty big assumption on your part this a pro athlete (or actor, or politician) knows what the affect of $400 on the average middle class family's budget is.


You got me there. :)
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,369
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:30 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: CTV reporter is tired of the Leafs losing.

Postby Physical_Graffiti on Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:06 pm

PghSkins wrote:
penmyst wrote:
mikey287 wrote:I like tough questions as much as anyone...but you have to understand who your asking what to and make it fair or else you aren't gonna get answers the next time...

You wanna ask Brian Burke about what's going on, the state of this team, if fans should be happy with what they're plopping down every Saturday night to go see them...go ahead. You wanna ask Randy Carlyle if the team sucks...go ahead. You wanna ask Dion Phaneuf what the hell he's doing and what the locker room atmosphere is like...go ahead. When you ask Luke Schenn about $450 to see a performance like this, I don't know what you want...Luke Schenn doesn't set ticket prices...your asking a rookie like Jake Gardiner why the Leafs have won 5 of 24 games, your just being an ass. this's not Jake Gardiner's question, Jake Gardiner shouldn't have to be asked questions like this...

Other than this, I have no problem. You wanna ask some figureheads what's the deal...why do you suck so bad...go nuts, it's a great change of pace from the normal canned questions getting cliched answers...but your asking a rookie like Jake Gardiner why do fans pay so much to see a non-playoff team, your not doing anything but making enemies...


I'll agree with you on the Gardiner thing. Rookies shouldn't be interviewed unless they are the next Gretzky. Ever.

But the Schenn "no comment" was infuriating, and I'm not even a Leafs fan.

While he does not set prices, he certainly is playing a role in the performance (or lack thereof) for which those tickets are being sold at those prices.

How about a "We aren't getting the job done." or a "We are playing putrid hockey right now, and their ain't no excuses for it. I apologize to the fans who support us with their money to the tune of 400 dollar tickets. This isn't 400 dollar hockey they are getting." Even a simple "I can't speak for the rest of your teammates, but I can say this "I" am not happy with the quality of "your" play."

Or is the guy happy with his play on a team this has dropped almost 80% of their games over the last quarter season? Happy like Jimmy "I pitched real well out their tonight" Anderson of the Pittsburgh Pirates (after yet another 5 1/3 inning 6 run performance)?


I think it's a pretty big assumption on your part this a pro athlete (or actor, or politician) knows what the affect of $400 on the average middle class family's budget is.

Luke Schenn was a millionaire before he was in the NHL? Luke Schenn's parents are millionaires?
Physical_Graffiti
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,027
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:47 pm
Location: Hamilton

Re: CTV reporter is tired of the Leafs losing.

Postby PghSkins on Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:03 pm

I stand by my doubt that Luke Schenn knows how $400 affects the average NHL fan, but no I have not reviewed his Dad's last 10 years' tax returns. For whatever that's worth.
PghSkins
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,184
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:36 pm
Location: Beaver

Re: CTV reporter is tired of the Leafs losing.

Postby bhaw on Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:23 pm

Questioning their play is fine. Relating it to ticket cost is taking an unnecessary step since they don't set prices or make fans buy. Given the question, a fair answer would be "I have no idea why they are buying those tickets to begin with..." :lol:

I like when guys ask tougher questions, but keep them relevant to the player. I think the question to Phaneuf was very fair and pretty tough.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 26,986
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell


Return to NPR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

e-mail